This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Won't move forward or reverse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 12:18pm
Take a look at your inching pedal linkages. Move the pedal up and down and watch the valve on the trans. just to make sure it moves freely. If it were stuck in the "in position" you wouldn't get pressure readings to fwd or reverse at least. With no pump pressure and engine running you're back to where you will have to pull both transmissions out (no little job) to see what's happening with the pump. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Sponsored Links

FarmerJoeVT View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 10:55am
Am I wrong in my understanding that is I got 0 on both pressure tests that this points to an issue with the oil pump? If so, is this hard to replace?

Found a replacement pump:

Thanks
Farmer Joe
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 2:29pm
When I push the pedal the valve in the trans moves freely in and out.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 1:25am
It's not hard to replace the pump once you can get at it. You have to remove both transmissions to access the pump. There may not be much wrong with the pump itself but as mentioned earlier in this thread if the flex plate is broken and the converter starts wobbling the drive set up for the pump and seal get ruined. If the pump doesn't turn there is 0 pressure. Once you pull it apart you'll see how it's supposed to work. You were talking about oil leaking...it's likely the oil pump seal around the converter neck is leaking. Last time when I was buying a new pump ordering it as a kit (pump, seal, gasket and bolts) was the best deal. However, don't order parts until you have it apart and you see what you need.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 8:38am

Good morning,

First off, thank you Eric. To briefly describe the fluid I talking about. It never leaked until I added ATF fluid to the transmission dip stick location on the left side of the loader above the starter. While waiting for a replacement starter, I topped off all the fluids, changed the filters, added fluids, etc.. Once the new starter was installed, I turned the key and it started perfectly. However the ATF fluid came out of a manufactured opening (roughly 1/10" wide by 6" long rectangular opening) on the housing of what I believe is the transmission housing that follows the oil pan.

If there are additional troubleshooting steps that I can do to isolate the issue even further, please let me know. It just seems weird that it was running fine until I ran her out of fuel, went to restart her and the crank motor went. Replaced it and the filters /etc. and not it won’t move. There was no hesitation or sounds or anything beforehand to indicate an issue was pending. :)

Any advice, wisdom, or troubleshooting tips are greatly appreciated.

Very respectfully,
Brian

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 08 Jul 2015 at 8:38am
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 9:18pm
Well Brian, it's not fun to have a machine that won't move...I have been there myself. Unfortunately it was no easy fix. I think I have given you all the advice I have. Running out of fuel would have no influence on the tranny. The oil leak you describe is right below the converter, if the seal or the oil pump leak that's where the oil comes down. The starter failing can make trouble in the converter housing if a piece let go from the starter itself. On one machine I had, the starter drive disintegrated and wedged itself stuck between the ring gear and the engine block...it still boils down to having to disassemble and investigate where the problem originates. It may still be an idea for you to reread this whole thread and ponder everyone's input. I wish you all the best on your repair. Be sure to tell us what you find and how you fixed it.  Eric

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 9:35pm
By the way Brian, the link you have for an oil pump looks to be an oil pump for the engine (notice it says engine parts at the top). The reason it fits your machine and several others is the Perkins engine. You (likely) need a pump for the forward reverser transmission. Here is the place and price from last year when I bought one...most likely the same one in your machine. You could always contact them for particulars. As I said previously however, don't order any parts 'til you know what you need.

3615 E. Grand River Rd. 
Williamston MI 48895 
US 

Toll Free 888-672-7876 
Local 517-347-7033 & Fax 517-339-1608

ItemQuantityBin LocationDescriptionRateAmountTax Rate
A5080051 PUMP ASSY.186.33186.33 
Subtotal186.33
Shipping Cost (Standard)23.69
Total$210.02

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 7:58am
Thank you Eric. I sincerely value the support you and everyone has given. I also, appreciate the clarificatoin on the part needed to repair this issue. Thou I had hoped it would be a quick easy fix, sometimes it just happens not to be that wat and thats ok. Do you have any advice on the best way to remove the bad pump for the forward reverser transmission and install a new one?

Thanks you in advance.

Brian
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 8:26am
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 11:42am
you had starter problems. you have pump problems. the flexplate is the common denominator, it drives the pump. If it is cracked it will ruin the starter and waller out the pump till it has no pressure. Been there, done that on a Turbo Hydro 400 on an old Jeep pickup. Starter would not act right and then no transmission pressure. Flex plate was nearly broken clear into. check that. keep us posted.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 12:30pm
I liked dealing with Reliableaftermarketparts...you should try to confirm on the phone that this fits your 715, personally I'm sure it's the right one. Remember DON NOT ORDER ANY PARTS BEFORE  YOU GET IT APART! You have to raise the machine with enough clearance to get the transmissions out from under the machine. You will probably find all the instructions in your 715 Manual. The first time this happened to my machine THE OIL PUMP WAS OK, I DID NOT NEED TO REPLACE IT! But the converter neck needed repair because the flex plate was broken and needed to be replaced. A new seal was put in the pump but the pump itself was perfectly good. The pump is mounted right at the front of the fwd/rev trans, it's the first thing you see once you pull the tranny away from the engine. You need to be working on concrete and be using a really good transmission jack. My mechanic used a forklift with side shift to move the trannies away from the engine and then lowered them down. You may need to hire help to do this work, it is not an easy procedure if you haven't done it before. 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:55pm
Just to help describe where the fluid is leaking out of I found this diagram online and have marked with an arrow to better identify the source of the leak.

Thank you for all the collective knowledge and helpful steps. (Eric, Carl, Coke, etc. - your awesome)

Very respectfully,
Farmer Joe VT
-Brian

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 1:44am
That spot where oil leaks ... I really don't know. I don't have my machine any more so I'm not able to go out there and look Confused.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:06am
Good morning Gents,

I have a friend coming over this afternoon to see if he would be able to help removed and fix the pump issue. Can anyone explain the process  or what will be required to get to the pump to replace it. Such as: unbolt x and x, lower it, check x and x to see if x part is broken, etc.. :)

Thank you in advance.

Very respectfully,
Farmer Joe VT
-Brian
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 12:25am
Do you have the big repair manual for your 715 backhoe? If you do there should be some procedure outline for removing the transmissions in order to get to the flex plate and the oil pump. If you don't have instructions in the manual you just crawl under and look the job over...drive shaft off, linkages, cables, shifter, cooling lines etc. You must have a heavy duty and safe jack on which the trans. will be secure. Once everything is removed including the bolts from the fwd reverser to the bell housing on the engine you slide the trannies back to disconnect from the engine then lower down. If your torque converter has a drain plug, turn it to the bottom and drain the oil out before separating trannies from engine or you'll have running out the converter neck. When you get this far you'll see what to do from there.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 3:55pm

Thank you Eric,

Any suggestions on how to lower it via a jack on a dirt driveway. Im concerned about the jack sinking into the dirt and then not being able to move it.

Thanks
Brian

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 17 Jul 2015 at 3:55pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:39pm
get it on level ground - get a couple sheets of steel or plywood (3/4") to work on and to support jack - if you want more working room raise machine using buck and backhoe legs , then block machine in that up position using cribbing to make  sure it is stable 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 8:09pm
I took a chain and wrapped it around the cab above the steering wheel. Then used a 2 ton chain hoist hooked to that chain and lowered it to the ground. Did the same thing putting it back in. Where your at you need to do like Coke said and get something solid under the hoe.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 10:09pm
If anyone has any free time and would be willing to come help us work on this, we would be happy to fly you out here to Vermont. Plus we will make you good food and cake to sweeten the deal. :)

Very respectfully,
Brian
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 8:57pm
Brian: If you have no takers on your offer I suggest you take that money and look around for a good local mechanic, this is not really a beginners sample of a job. I don't mean to discourage you but it won't be that many hours for someone that's used to doing this. If you think getting it apart is tricky it is generally trickier to get the components aligned and joined back together without damaging seals etc. After all you want to get back to pushing dirt etc. before the season is over. The machine is really of no value to you until it's running again Wink
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:23pm
Hi Eric,

So I guess you are declining my offer then. ;) I agree with you completely and posted something on craigslist in an attempt to find a mechanic that can work on it for us. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks 

V/r

Brian
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 10:45am
Update: moved her to flatter ground, lifted it off the ground, and placed it on planks. I ordered a hoist, which should arrive today or tomorrow. Any suggestions on what order to unbolt it when the hoist arrives?

Thanks,
Brian
aka FarmerJoeVT

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 11:58am
Good move!! Glad you're taking Coke's advice about flat ground and as he said get some heavy plywood on top of the ground. Great support of the machine!! You guys would make good house movers too Clap. Have you looked for "procedure" in your manual? If your transmission support jack is big enough you can remove both trannies together otherwise take out the 4 speed first and then the fwd rev trans. Good thing you are a team of three, which of the three are you Brian? Take care and be safe!  Eric.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 1:14pm

I'm the tall lanky one in the middle ;), the two others are my brothers (Thomas left and Brandon right). They are both anixous to get it running and digging, wanting to help me out with all the projects around the house while I am at work during the day. We've been getting loads of free fill dropped off all week and we are starting to run out of room for them to dump it. I have placed a couple ads on craiglist list for any mechanics in the areas, to see if I can hire someone to help once we have it removed and for reinstalling it once its repaired but have not recieved anything solid yet. I am hoping the hoist arrives today, so I can lower it tonight. I will be sure to post pictures throughout the process and will be looking for advice / guidance from everyone here who have been such a blessing through this process. So I appreciate everyones help past - present - and for the forseeable future. :)

Very respectfully,
Brian and crew

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 23 Jul 2015 at 1:21pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 2:59pm
Update: received the 2 ton hoist in the mail, attached it to a logging chain strung up and around the cab and ran through the floor around the transmission. (as suggested by a genius on this site, if I hadn't I'd still be trying to figure out that step) :) 

Next: figuring out how and what order to break it all down and safely lower it to the ground and not on my face, figure out whats broken, order replacement parts from ?, install parts, and lift / secure it back on the tractor.

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 03 Aug 2015 at 3:01pm
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 5:16pm
That hoist should handle the whole piece. Take out driveshaft and unbolt from engine and let her down.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 10:20am
I started labeling and prepping everything last night. I removed the c-clips from the u-joint on the driveshaft and the one end cap that has bearings in it. But I am unable to slide it apart or remove the rod. Is a trick or something I am missing.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 05 Aug 2015 at 10:20am
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 12:15pm
You see the four bolts to the right in the picture, they hold the flange in place. Remove the bolts and use a bar to push the shaft back just slightly. Taking the U-joints apart is the hard way...you can easily lose some of the needle bearings in there too.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 12:56pm
Thanks Eric, I will give that a try tonight. :)
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 5:31pm
Update: we have dropped the driveshaft, removed the bell housing inspection cover, and flywheel bolts. Whats next? Please help.

https://youtu.be/fJMAh9L4CgA - redoing this video now for better quality.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic