This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Grader Make Is This?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartman-52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Grader Make Is This?
    Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:29pm
I have been searching the internet trying to identify this brand of grader but can't find another one that looks like it for identification.  Could it be an Allis Chalmers?  Can someone please identify what make/manufacturer and possible model this grader might be. I think it has a diesel engine. Any idea of the approximate year and value?

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:48pm
don't look like Allis......... motor might have a name on the side or valve cover ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:07pm
It looks like it has an IHC Grill and only one rear axle so I would guess Austin Western. or Awful Western for those who had to run or work on them.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Hartman-52 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartman-52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

It looks like it has an IHC Grill and only one rear axle so I would guess Austin Western. or Awful Western for those who had to run or work on them.

Thanks for the reply. The Austin Western looks close but when I Google for pics, every one of their 2 wheel drive graders have a very sloped rear frame section under the cab that connects to the forward frame. It's a stumped.   It is located in Canada so I would assume e it must be made in Canada or USA and not Europe or elsewhere.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartman-52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The Austin Western looks close but when I Google for pics, every one of their 2 wheel drive graders have a very sloped rear frame section under the cab that connects to the forward frame. It's a stumper.   It is located in Canada so I would assume it must be made in Canada or USA and not Europe or elsewhere.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 9:55pm
X2 on Austin Western.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 3:43am

Here is a link to some Austin Western info:

Gary

http://www.vannattabros.com/road10.html
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 5:52am
Later Adams also used a rounded radiator grill - has to be in mid 50's with the hyd blade depth control pistons on the turn circle

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 6:18pm
look at the FRAME in the photo.. It runs horizontal toward the cab, then drops 2 ft, and runs horizontal under the CAB to the motor...... MOST Austin, Allis, Cat units have a frame that is U shaped being low at both axles and humped in the middle as Hartman said. Normally the front of the cab is cut to go OVER the FRAME.

Have not seen a frame quite like this... especially in singe rear axle.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartman-52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

look at the FRAME in the photo.. It runs horizontal toward the cab, then drops 2 ft, and runs horizontal under the CAB to the motor...... MOST Austin, Allis, Cat units have a frame that is U shaped being low at both axles and humped in the middle as Hartman said. Normally the front of the cab is cut to go OVER the FRAME.

Have not seen a frame quite like this... especially in singe rear axle.

Thanks Steve. You are spot on with the unusual frame. I can't find a single grader that matches this one and it's driving me nuts to solve this riddle.   I looked at hundreds of pics of every likely make like Allis, Western, Galion, Cat, etc but no luck. My friend saw it in another town about 100 miles from me with a for sale sign but only took this one pic. I am looking for a small grader like this but before I drive all the way out there I would like to get more info on it. He thought it was a diesel with the extra gas motor to start it. Any pros or cons with that and how about the single axle? My use for it would be for grading very sandy ATV bush trails so pretty easy pushing/levelling. Maybe the single rear axle is good for tighter frequent turns and curves?
Ferdinand View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ferdinand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:06pm
Could it be an AW with a Cat re-engine?
No telling what happens to machines and cars over the years.
Because narrow is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it.
Mathew 7:14
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:15pm
I think you need the owners phone number........ beside the manufacturer, you need to know the condition and $$.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 11:04pm
If it's the original IH engine, it could be one of those with a carb on one side and diesel injectors on the other.  I just guessed A-W, because of the IH engine and single rear axle.  Adams was another guess.   Maybe it's a one off built of odds and ends?
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:07pm
I am thinking that it might be a Champion grader. They were one of the first to use hydraulics on the blade and circle turning system. Champions were made in Canada. The various graders used a variety of engine manufacturers over the years.
Jack of all trades, master of none
ACman 220 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACman 220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 2:22pm
Can't be 100 percent shure but I think it is a Galion 503.
ACman 220 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACman 220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 2:31pm
On second look I think not galions dipped down in front of cab.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 4:11pm
IIRC 503 is tandem rear
ACman 220 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACman 220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 4:21pm
Yes I looked at it for several minutes and did not even see it is single,must need new glasses. Your right Ian its got to be odd ball.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 4:36am
Being in Canada Aveling Barford  and Blaw-Knox are might-be's. 

But I can't see any pictures that vote for either

Champion was using hydraulics around 1936 but none look like it either that I saw

Edited by Ian Beale - 26 Oct 2017 at 4:38am
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:43am
Our county road dept had some single axle graders one time .they used them for grading the gravel roads .From what I heard they were a real pain because they were bad about hitting a low spot and putting dips in the road. I guess they auctioned all those off along with some old army trucks .They had I think 4 hd11 dozers the old b models from the 50s and a couple hd6s . seems every time they have an auction nobody knew about it so I figure its a buddy thing and the county judge gets a chunk of cash .
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartman-52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 1:49pm
I am hoping to find out more about it this weekend if my friend gets back to where it is.  I looked at hundreds of pics and can't find one from any make that looks like it.  I need to solve this mystery.  LOL  It's a perfect size for me to use with our ATV club to grader our trails which are all sandy and get lots of bumps regularly.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 2:15pm
So with this wheel arrangement you should be able to make a accordion bumps easily - 2 axle units just seem to have problems making a smooth surface 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 3:50pm
Yeah, tandems reduce the vertical movement at the rear by 50%. Single axle should work fine for ATV trails.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 3:56pm
If you have the name of the town where it's located you should google the name and initials painted on there. If it's a smaller type of community they may be able to get you the right leads even if you reach a relative or wrong number of sorts... some people are very helpful once they clue in someone is not into a scam.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 2:34pm
All Aveling Barford (British Austin Western) models I know of have humped continuous frames end to end with no step in them like that. Tried to access pictures of earlier Dominion Road Machinery (Champion) machines. Could not see any matches.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartman-52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 11:17pm
The identification of the mystery grader has been solved.  I was finally able to track down the owner and he told me it was made by Motor Coach Industries who may be the same company currently still in business and are a major highway and city transit bus manufacturer located in Winnipeg,  Canada.  I can't find any internet literature on this yet but that would explain why the grader was so hard to identify.   It is apparently a 1960's vintage and is in great shape with full hydraulics, tilting front wheels, power circle and power steering.  It has an IH gas starting diesel engine believed to be a WD6 tractor engine.  Any major concerns with this motor besides proper shutdown procedures I've been reading about?  I can get this grader for a very good price so I think I am going to snap it up.  Thank you to all who tried to help me solve this mystery.  I will post additional pics and info when I go to see it in the next few days.  I would like to do a full resto paint job and get her looking like new.   I'm sure I will have many questions from this wonderful knowledge base forum.  Oops.....sorry I forgot this is an Allis Chalmers forum.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 12:50am
Glad you found an answer  to your question, and educated us at the same time.  Thanks!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:02pm
Thanks for the update.

As for the gas start IH diesel they have a head that is easy to crack. But if it is good now and you treat it with care it will last. Take great care to not over heat it and always let it idle to cool down,hopeful it will treat you well.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 3:07pm
Yes, they bought old Flexible Bus company in Loudonville, OH but then after about ten years closed it and moved away. While in Loudonville it was used to recondition buses or do repairs and a parts house.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:08pm
If that engine gives you problems you should be able to put a streight gas engine out of a Farmall M tractor.  For your limited use a gas outfit would work ok I would think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic