This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD Timing Without a Crank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD Timing Without a Crank
    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:40pm
New member, first post, and newbie working on old tractors.
I just got a rebuilt magneto for my 49 WD and am ready to time the engine and install the mag. Problem is I have a crank, but no stem coming out of the crank hole to attach the crank to. Any ideas on how to spin the motor slow without a crank? I've pulled all the plugs so there'll be little compression resistance. I've tried pulling on the belt, but no luck. Guess I'll try a wrench on one of the pulleys next. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thank you.
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:59pm
Bump starter with finger in plug hole until you get close, then turn with flywheel until marks on flywheel line up.        MACK
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:10am
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:02am
When the setscrew on the crankshaft pulley is straight DOWN, you are at TDC on #1 cylinder.
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:27am
Jack up one rear wheel and place the transmission in the highest gear. Turn the wheel until the timing marks line up. Leave spark plugs out.
Put the bunny back in the box!
1938 B, 1977 Yanmar YM2200

No private messages:
use email:
theropod AT yahoo DOT com
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:55am
Numbers 1 and 4 will be TDC when the marks line up, one will be on compression stroke, one finishing exhaust stroke. You need to be sure # 1 is on the compression stroke by feeling pressure via the spark plug hole or checking valve rock (requires removing valve cover).
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 2:05pm
With the plugs out, You should be able to push/pull on the belt to tension it and turn with fan blade. I usually push in to force in groove.. A pry from under neath at the flywheel will probably be more precise.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

When the setscrew on the crankshaft pulley is straight DOWN, you are at TDC on #1 cylinder.

What this guy said! No need to look for timing marks!! Install the mag when the setscrew is pointing down with rotor pointing to #1. Plug spark plug wires in in firing order. If no start, move spark plug wires 180 deg around the distributor cap. Tractor WILL run one of the 2 ways.
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 10:02pm
I appreciate all your help. Wish I'd read all the posts before trying the bump start this morning. My WD has been converted to 12 volt so the starter spins like a top. I was trying to bump start to get it to turn slow or just a little bit. Tried that 3 or 4 times pulling the starter rod very slowly until it would engage, and then I heard a "click" sound from somewhere between the starter and the battery. From that moment on I had zero electrical so no more turning over from starter. I don't know what happened, but in hindsight I should've turned the rear wheel to get everything lined up. So, now that I've got an electrical issue I'd appreciate your help on getting that resolved.
Thanks again for your expertise.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:04am
If you can get to nut that holds belt pulley on alt. or gen. tighten fan belt ,remove all spark plus and have someone turn it that way to fine time mag.
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 5:49pm
Electrical problem is likely a stuck solenoid, or greenies in the copper cables, look at the ends, and see if there is insulation off, or heat damage.Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:39pm
Thanks. cables are brand new so maybe the solenoid. But, I suppose even new cables could have issues. Will check all.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 7:16am
There is no solenoid so I would check battery cables first.       MACK
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:21am
If you have a flat belt pulley (on the right side to run an implement by belt), loosen the set screw, engage the pulley and, with the spark plugs removed, you should be able to turn the engine to feel when you are getting compression on the front cylinder. Then follow Doc's advice.

Edited by WF owner - 25 Feb 2020 at 9:22am
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:48am
Battery cables are new. I've seen the starter button on the starter referred to as a solenoid (maybe not the right term). Anyway, I'm wondering if the starter button is the issue. The starter itself was just rebuilt.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 8:29am
(For your electric issues )You need to get a tester  and check for voltage through the complete system ,then you will know where electric problem is .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:24pm
Will do. Thank you.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:34pm
If you have power to the terminal on the starting button, try removing the button assembly and cleaning all the contacts inside, including the terminal on the starter,  with emery cloth.

The other place you could have a problem is where the ground cable bolts to the tractor. Remove the bolt and clean everything up. 

Unless you have starter problems, those are about the only places you could have a problem.
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 7:16am
Sure appreciate your help. I'll do all of this over the weekend.
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:50pm
Electrical issue solved. Checked everything, but could not find a problem. Tried the starter and spun up as usual.

I am unable to see the setscrew on the crankshaft pulley from either side without removing the cowling due to a power steering pump in the way. So, I tried the flywheel line up method.

Jacked up right rear wheel and put it in 4th gear. I don't have a helper so I put a light plastic shopping bag over the #1 spark plug hole. Turned the wheel and watched the bag suck in on what I assumed was the intake stroke and then puff out. Stopped turning the wheel immediately and crawled under to push the flywheel around by hand. Found the first mark (I assumed was TDC) and pushed further to find the Fire mark. Found the next mark, but it did not have an "F". Still, I assumed it was the Fire mark. The impulse coupler was at the correct angle with the second mark aligned up exactly to the point on the flywheel housing. I turned the rotor to the number 1 mark and the mag installed nicely. Installed the plugs, connected the plug wires on the cap 1,2,4,3 clockwise starting from upper left and gave her a try.

Only got a few very loud POPS and stopped trying, figuring I got something wrong. I am assuming I may have the impulse coupler off 180 degrees(?) Maybe the second mark on the flywheel wasn't the Fire mark after all. I'll try again next weekend and probably remove the cowling to try to see the setscrew on the crankshaft pulley.

I'd appreciate you folks letting me know where I went wrong. Thank you.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:52am
Are you sure you have the timing marks inside the mag aligned? You can't be even one tooth off.

Here's a link you might find helpful. He explains it a lot better than i could.

Edited by WF owner - 02 Mar 2020 at 6:54am
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:31am
I just got the mag back from the rebuild shop, so I'm just assuming it was aligned. They said all I had to do was time the mag to the motor to install it. I'll check out the link. Thank you.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:23am
Here is another really good explanation of it.http://rodnh.byethost12.com/acb/magtiming/magtiming.htm
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:12am
Just thinking out loud, and might be wrong. A plastic bag might suck in as the piston goes down on the power/firing stroke since both valves are closed and the volume is increasing as the piston goes down. It might puff out some as the piston comes up on the exhaust stroke as it doesn't offer the resistance your finger would over the hole. With those thoughts you could be 180 degrees out. Can you stick something for a plug in the hole that might need some real compression from the compression stroke to pop it out? Again just my thoughts for what they are worth.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:06am
I'm thinking you are using the wrong timing mark on the flywheel.

In your post above, you say:
"Turned the wheel and watched the bag suck in on what I assumed was the intake stroke and then puff out. Stopped turning the wheel immediately and crawled under to push the flywheel around by hand. Found the first mark (I assumed was TDC) and pushed further to find the Fire mark. Found the next mark, but it did not have an "F". Still, I assumed it was the Fire mark. "

From the link mdm1 posted, it says 
"1. Set up the tractor with the "Fire" mark on the flywheel centered in the timing inspection opening when #1 piston is coming up on the compression stroke. The "Fire" mark is located 30 crank degrees before the "Center" mark at top dead center (TDC)"

WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:52am
Yeah, the bag sure did suck in fast and then popped. Good thing I had it well duct taped so it wouldn't get sucked down in the cylinder. I bet you're right, it could've puffed out on the exhaust stroke (it wasn't much of a puff). I can figure a better hilljack compression meter for the plug hole. Thanks.
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:58am
I am thinking you're right.

I set the flywheel on the second mark instead of the first mark.

The Fire mark would have been the first one that came around, based on your description and the link.

Bottom line, as I understand it, you don't want to set the flywheel at TDC, you want it set on the Fire position when the piston is coming up for compression.

Thank you!
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:32pm
Did you check the internal timing setting of the mag to be sure it matches the mark you plan to use, as previously suggested?
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:06pm
Have not, but will do. Thanks.
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 9:59pm
Thanks to the set screw method on the crankshaft pulley (centered at the bottom) I got the mag aligned properly and she fire right up. Engine sounded good so I did not fine time it. Ran for 45 minutes and would miss out on a cylinder occasionally, but didn't think much of it. The right about the 45 minute mark it started missing out more and popping. I got it back in garage and shut it down.

Could the missing/popping be caused by no fine timing? Thought it was strange problems didn't start until it ran awhile. 

Would appreciate any ideas for trouble-shooting.

Thanks for everyone's help in getting her going again. Now I just need to figure out what's causing the misfiring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic