This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vaccuum thing on a B manifold??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vaccuum thing on a B manifold??
    Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 6:07pm
Is this for using the motor as a vaccuum pump?

Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
Sponsored Links

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 6:14pm
Fresh air inlet for better hot starting?
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 6:20pm
It was used to run the milker when the power was out at our place in the late 1940's
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 6:21pm
My dad said some tractors could run various things like cow milking equipment by using the engine vacuum.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 6:28pm
R W, Could you tell me how that works to open it to help start a tractor?
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

R W, Could you tell me how that works to open it to help start a tractor?
"On hand crank tractor's that don't like to start when hot". Some say that they don't like to start because of fumes that build up in the manifold causing the air-fuel mix to be too rich. The idea is that the valve can be opened to let fresh air into the manifold and flush out the rich mixture, thus letting the tractor start better. Not shure if it works but would be worth a try if you were having hot start problems.

Edited by R.W - 07 Nov 2011 at 7:06pm
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 7:11pm
  was installed on power units for hot starting   like on combine usage  was told this by an a-c blockman   they would like vapor lock  he said it worked  wonders too  my 2 cents
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 7:37pm
Dicks got it right. I milked many a cow one unit at a time off our WD and also off our 1960 GMC pickup that had a V6. But our petcocks had a longer nipple to hook the cacuum hose to. So maybe this one was cut off or indeed used for something else as suggested.
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 8:10pm
DeLaval made a Vacuum operated timer that you connected to the tractor battery and a pet cock for vacuum. You hooked up the tractor to the milking system The timer operated the magnetic pulsators. The intake manifold provided Vacuum for milking when the power was out.
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 8:15pm
We had a C that had the petcock on its manifold.  I remember using it a couple of times for milking when the power was out.  You need to tie the hose to your main vacuum system in order to have a reservoir. This was eons ago when a larger farm back in Wisconsin consisted of 50 cows.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 10:51pm
Try running a B with that petcock open. The Brass Cock  in the picture  is called a engine ventilating cock in parts books and service manuals. Its purpose was to dry out a flooded hot hard to crank engine. Open it up on a running engine and the engine sputters and dies for lack of vaccume. And. You better have it closed when you try to actually  crank to start it.
   When the power went out and the milking machines quit  at Uncle Leroy's Dairy it was all hands on deck to milk em by hand till the power came back or sombody showed up with a generator. He farmed wth Farmalls so he didn't have the luxury of being saved by a B with a manifold cock that he couldn't connect a vacuume line too. Show me how to connect a vacuume line to the cock in the picrure and I may actually start to believe all the milked the cows with my B stories.
    Remember. The Question was " Is this for useing the motor as a vaccume pump? I believe the answer is NO. Simple as that. 
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 10:57pm
I HAD A 60 COMBINE WITH ONE OF THEM ON IT & IF YOU KILLED IT WHEN HOT, JUST OPEN THE PETCOCK & IT WOULD FIRE RIGHT UP. IF YOU DIDN'T OPEN IT YOU COULD CRANK & CRANK. IT WOULD FLOOD IF NOT OPEN.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 1:59am
Yes, the petcock was mounted on the power units.  It enabled the engine to be started easy when hot.  Worked too.
Yes, it can be used to provide vacuum for milking machines.  However, we used the WC or larger engines and we put on a petcock with a tapered tube so it could be easily hooked up to a tube for milking machine use.  I can't remember trying it on a B.  Guess it would work.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 4:19am
I have one FS if anyone needs one.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 7:46am
There's a petcock screwed into the manifold on my early handbrake C model. Strange lookin' little bugger. I remember this subject coming up a couple years ago on the forum and was discussed about its functions. Still the same answers....
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 8:11am
We ran a WC for many years on a reuse pit well, and we had a valve similar to that one installed in the manifold, and use the manifold vaccumm to prime the suction line.  Start the tractor, open the valves, watch the sight glass, which had a float valve in it to block water from going to the engine, and (it's been a loong time, so it may have taken longer, or not as much) but in about 5 minutes your pump was primed, close the vaccumm, and engage the PTO.  The total length of suction line was around 20 feet, and the diameter was 6", so we aren't talking 500CFM flowing bypassing the carb, but maybe more like .785cfm if I did my math right.  That will not flow enough air to lean the mixture much at all.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 8:39am
Originally posted by MNLonnie MNLonnie wrote:

Is this for using the motor as a vaccuum pump?

The correct answer is No. If you wanted to use the tractor to milk cows or for some other vacuum purpose, you would need a tapered nipple or hose barb on the end of that valve to shove a hose on to.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 8:47am
I had a guy come once to pump our septic tank. He had a sealed tank on his truck and used the truck engine to supply vacuum to the tank.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 8:57am
Yup, you can milk with it as we used to run a single Surge milking machine on one when the power would be lost in an ice storm.
My dad has told of opening the barn doors for fresh air and running three WD-45's staggered down the barn floor for milking on their large dairy during upstate NY ice storms in the late 50's. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 9:05am
Originally posted by TimNearFortWorth TimNearFortWorth wrote:

Yup, you can milk with it as we used to run a single Surge milking machine on one when the power would be lost in an ice storm.
My dad has told of opening the barn doors for fresh air and running three WD-45's staggered down the barn floor for milking on their large dairy during upstate NY ice storms in the late 50's. 

How do you hook it up? All the ones I have seen used for milking, had a hose barb sticking out. This one isn't cut off, it was made that way.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 9:18am
Charlie, ours looked like an early version of the Surge petcocks we used on our 2" vacuum line above the cows during the 60s/70s. Had a nipple in it and the vacuum hose from the standard surge milking machine slid right onto it. Never cared for the fumes as we had to run the tractor at a high idle and I can only imagine running three WD-45s doing it, but grandpas barn was huge (very high ceilings) and they had to do something as they shipped two ton a day (in cans!) back in 56/57.
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 9:24am
Let's clear up some confussion.  I think that the one in the picture, is designed for and made to clear a hot flooded engine, and what the rest of us are talking about is that with the right valve, i.e. something with a nipple or other fitting, you can use the manifold vaccumm for other things.  I don't think that any of us are stating that that specific valve is only used for vaccumm work.  I think some of those posting took the question very literal, as they should, i.e. that specific valve, some of us, myself included, thought the question was more a theory question.  My mistake.

Edited by Orange Blood - 08 Nov 2011 at 9:27am
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
RichinWis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinWis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 9:25am
Well, if you did want to use it for emergency vacuum all you had to do was change the petcock, and yes they did work for that of course you need ed to keep the hose on going to the pulsator on the milker. Believe me my Dad and my grandfather both milked cows when the power was out with the C tractor. As a young guy I thought it was quite amazing, but fact is fact, although I am sure that Allis didn't quite have that in mind when they installed the short ones, it's just that farmers have always been known for being very inventive.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 9:33am
I have WW2 vintage generator and it has such a petcock on the intake manifold. Its hand crank start with a 10 hp 4 cylinder Herculese engine on a 3 KW generator. There it was used to prime the engine when choking and hand cranking didn't work in cold weather.

Gerald J.
Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

Try running a B with that petcock open. The Brass Cock  in the picture  is called a engine ventilating cock in parts books and service manuals. Its purpose was to dry out a flooded hot hard to crank engine. Open it up on a running engine and the engine sputters and dies for lack of vaccume. And. You better have it closed when you try to actually  crank to start it.
   When the power went out and the milking machines quit  at Uncle Leroy's Dairy it was all hands on deck to milk em by hand till the power came back or sombody showed up with a generator. He farmed wth Farmalls so he didn't have the luxury of being saved by a B with a manifold cock that he couldn't connect a vacuume line too. Show me how to connect a vacuume line to the cock in the picrure and I may actually start to believe all the milked the cows with my B stories.

Remember. The Question was " Is this for useing the motor as a vaccume pump? I believe the answer is NO. Simple as that. 

Exactly correct, this petcock was for the ventilating, If you look to the left of the petcock in the picture you will see a pipe plug screwed into the manifold, this is where you would attach the smalled diameter petcock to run the vaccuum opperated equipment.
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 10:06am
We had a hand-crank B that we used the petcock to get it started when hot.  Worked like a charm.  Kind of an anti-choke.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 12:12pm
Mine came with the type of valve that attached to a vacuum hose.   It is also a handy place to squirt some either when cold.
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 1:04pm
I've seen a hercules that had a bellows type throttle with a petcock to adjust RPM. It used that hole in the manifold for vaccuum and it also acted like a govenor and it recovered pretty good from a load. It was on a welder
JR Maley View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR Maley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 1:14pm
I could really use one of those.  My '38 hand crank-only is impossible to start warm.  I have to make sure to park at the top of a hill if I have any chance of starting it warm.  It really stinks when you run out of hill though.  
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 6:55pm
Heres one on a tractor my grandpa used to have....

I was told the same thing....vaccuum hose for milking.
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic