This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To restore or not? Vote here...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:08pm
I vote for a complete restoration. By fixing the rims, decals and gauges, you are going to have a mix of old and new. I say make it look like it came off the showroom floor. 

I'm betting the family has a lot of memories from when it was new and would like it better than it looks now.
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:46pm
I think I'd vote full restore also.  All or nothing.  You could get by with some used wheels that match the paint very well, but that is all I would do if it runs good and the tranny is tight.  No gauges or anything else.  Otherwise, do it all.  If you sit with the SIL and explain all of the things talked about here and see what he says.  Especially the fact that it's a ONE OWNER.

That front piece is not factory.  Had Allis done something like that, they would have all the holes that are supposed to be there.  Also, I agree with Sugarmaker about pushing wagons into the barn.  Pushing them is a LOT easier than backing.  I would never pull something that is stuck OR heavy.  But, that's me.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:48pm
Leave it original.  That's how he remember it.  Fix the mechanical and power wash it.

I have 8 lose eccentrics if you are interested. 

Edited by john(MI) - 14 Oct 2019 at 10:52pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 9:03pm
The verdict is in.  The son inlaw (key decision maker) wants it to look factory fresh.  The more time I spent looking at it, the more I think it is right.  I appreciate a good original as much as the next person, but the fixing/replacement of several visible pieces would detract from the originality.
We will check everything out mechanically and fix anything that is suspect, then tear down for some fresh orange, and cream, and aluminum, and black...
Fortunately, time is not an issue for him, but I would like to get it done in a year.  We will have to wait and see.
Sorry Calvin, your D15 diesel just got bumped! 
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Ron(WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 10:06am
I would say once you fix the problems, then do a restoration as good as you can, so you can be satisfied that you have completed a job well done, and have a tractor to be more than proud of. That is a two phase job, and will take a long time. You are doing this for someone else, so I don't know how to advise you about costs, just that it is never very profitable. Perhaps you could get the owner to help, so that he gets some of his time and interest invested in it too.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 11:00am
I agree, restore. There is a video on Chat's tractors about a D15 restore. The big surprise on that build was that the differential ring gear and pinion were shot. Check that drawbar casting for cracks. I also remember a thread about $150 dollar exhaust valve rotators, and a an un-obtainium 3pt control valve. Your customer has the bucks to launch a restore, so a very good start.

As for the economic value. Well, history is history. Yes you can get a 2wd JD 5045 for $16800 (India import) or a Kubota 5060 for $21K, both of which are more that 1000 pounds heavier than the D15, diesel, and 28" wheels. And I don't think the 3pt arms could be broken on the 5045. But the D15 is prettier, so there you go.
ryanschott View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 12:16pm
I second don just wax get to run good and leave it. Maybe the decals. Put new decals on magnet then could pull off if want to see old ones
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 3:04pm
We would like some pictures if you have time too. Might get others, not naming anyone, to get off their can and do a refurb, clean, and paint on a early D series too!:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic