This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To restore or not? Vote here...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To restore or not? Vote here...
    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 8:53pm
Long post...

Fresh out of a barn where it sat untouched for many many years.  This is a ONE OWNER 1964 D15 Series II.  The original owner is now in a nursing home and the son inlaw has commissioned my brother and I to get it running properly and fix the many little mechanical issues it has.  He had asked us to restore it, but I told him earlier that good originals like this are hard to find.  He is not looking to sell it or flip for a profit, but has not decided what he is going to do with it.

Here is where you fine folks come in.  This thing is pretty much a time capsule.  100% Complete, unmolested and preserved.  It was mainly used to pull a big orchard sprayer - never seen it hooked up to anything else when we were growing up.  Sat outside every day in the summers, but stored inside in the winters.  Looking it over, there are things that would need to be done that would hurt the orginality - one front rim needs to be replaced due to leaking calcium (yes, the fronts are loaded), one rear rim needs patching for the same reason, needs new tie rods, rear wheel eccentrics are seized, decals are extremely faded, bottoms of the fenders have rust coming through, seat pan has some rot and the tool box is falling apart.

What do do:
1.  Fix the problems and leave it alone, regardless of how it looks.
2.  Fix the problems and just paint the wheels and new seat pan.
3.  Fix the problems and do a complete cosmetic restoration.

He has seen all our tractors and loves the quality of our work, it would take a lot of time and money, but that is not a problem for him - he is very well off.  From my point of view, it would take a lot of time away from my own tractors that I want to restore - I have never completed one in under a year!  Secondly, I have no idea how much to charge for our labor - I have never done work for anyone else.

Enough of my yacking, I know you all want to see pictures ...

Love this font hitch, looks professionally done.  Did AC ever make one?

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Sponsored Links

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:34pm
Wow that's neat. Fix the issues and let him in joy the tractor as is. Can always restore in the future. Can't unrestore it
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:43pm
For me, the gauges might get replaced. Ours has a pretty face plate for me to rest in. The metal has turns in it to caught the light and the operators eye.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:45pm
True, a tractor can be restored time after time, but it's only original once. I'd fix what needs fixing, then wax it and call it good! Thumbs Up
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:54am
MAn , I'm sittin on the fence on this. Yes, it's only original once but....once you start 'fixin lil stuff, like decals and rims, well it's a slippery slope of 'while I'm at it..best to replace this, cleanup that, splash of paint here,.....'
Sure, when you replace the gauges, you'll HAVE to sand/clean,prime,paint the inst panel, new bolts, gee ,wiring should be replaced.....see.. slippery slope...
What I WOULD do before turning a wrench is take 200-250 pictures 'asis', from every side, every angle, under the hood,from the seat, etc. Copy onto flashdrive as well as one of those 'digital picture frames'. That I'd give to the owner, who'se in a home.

As for what to charge,see what pro repair shops charge,up here everyone is at least $100/hr.,so I'd say $50/hr. As you say, every hr working on his tractor is another hour lost not working on yours so $20-$25/hr isn't good for you and we all know TIME is the one thing we're all running out of.

I'm now leaning more to a decent restore, fix all teh little things and  a GOOD paint job, making it look 'factory fresh' NOT  'trailer queen show quality' but a tractor you WOULD work in the fields, then hose off later.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:14am
I say restore whether you do it or someone else. rusted out fenders and poor gauges are enough to sway me not to mention the steering wheel and rims etc, etc. I wonder what the engine and transmission condition are?  A good place to start would be to get it running and access all issues, estimate how many hrs. you think the work will take and talk it over with the son to see if he wants to proceed.   MHO.     Mark
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:31am
I do like good original tractors the best and they save a lot of money. This one is nice and straight. I'm leaning towards repairing the defects including new gauges but not the tach. I'd repair the rims and paint the wheels. In the normal coarse of ownership, its reasonable to do on going repairs. Fenders and paint can wait if ever.  
What is that sitting behind it ?????  LOL 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:34am
That's a nice looking tractor,hopefully it doesn't take much to get it running. Can someone tell me how the pulley is engaged please? I have never been around one that functions (or attatched for that matter), is it with the pto lever ? Thanks and hope it goes well for the OP
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:40am

For me I am kind of 'on the fence' for doing a total paint job. It has a lot of rusty spots that need paint. For sure all 4 wheels and rims need doing.

With 5444 hours on it I would first do a compression test to get an idea about the engine condition.
That rusty oil filter looks like it has been on there for quite some time.

Wonder what's the reason for the 'flat bar' across the face of the front axle.

Gary
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:59am
To me, looking at this Tractor (for what I can see) would be a good candidate for a semi-resto. What I mean by that is, some of the sheetmetal like fenders, toolbox aren't good, but if the running gear in it is good, (engine runs good, no tranny problems,) you wouldn't have to go into them. Clean up the drivetrain, fix what needs fixing, renew the gauges, wheels, and whatever and give it one of your nice paint jobs you guys always do and I would think the owner would be happy as a clam. This would keep the cost factor down for him, keep the time factor down for you guys, and still allow you guys to make a few bucks while having fun doing the Tractor. You guys do super work. If the guy is pretty well off, I wouldn't think he would mind spending some dough on his Dad's Tractor....
Steve@B&B  
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:59am
First, define 'restore'. that means many things to many people. Second, it is not your tractor to decide. That being said, either way will not make an appreciable difference in the value of the tractor, except that there will be a lot more money invested into it in a restoration, and there will never be a financial return on that. It comes down to the pleasure of the owner. If the owner wishes it restored, then it should get restored, what ever that means. And the meaning of 'restored' discussed with the owner prior going forth in that direction.

What I would consider doing first is a good cleaning and perhaps rubbing out the Sheetmetal and waxing. LOL, that could go either way....'wow, that looks nice the way it is', or 'dang! after cleaning and waxing, all those little nicks and dents really show up!"

I have a CA in about the same condition, maybe even a little better, that I bought from an estate, and I am fighting the same question.

I am of the 'original' crowd myself, but, of course, fix that which needs fixed, just like any other day in it's life.

MHO
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:05am
I think it what his preferences are and what you want to do with your time.

I would dang sure give him a down and dirty estimate though for going either way.

As fr as that pulley goes, I think you yank the knob that shows up to the lower right of the tach.

Edited by Dave H - 14 Oct 2019 at 7:07am
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:13am
I'd vote for a full on restoration! Them D15's are sooooooo purdy when they shine like a diamond! Darrel
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:19am
Dseries4,
I will give comments but they will be on both sides of the fence.
Original once yes. But double check closely was it ever repainted a long time ago? A lot of them were. If so then you can strike the its still original thing.
I see something I dont understand, maybe the D series experts can answer? Why are the D15 stickers still in fair condition and the hood decals are almost non read able? Were they made from different material from the factory? I doubt it? Was the hood from a different tractor? 

Ok on repairs. I get something like this home as mine and I want to get into it and fix things to working condition. Not being yours your going to have to get a real good idea from the son on what to fix and what not to? New parts stick out like a sore thumb. 

Full restore for me would be at least a year at my pace. It sure would be a nice one when done for sure. I think most of us like the D15. Cost would be estimated at $6000 without the labor. Sounds terrible maybe ,but thats my guess.  After just going throug a WD45 refurb clean and paint, I think that may be close or maybe low? Yea you get going and things just keep cropping up. New tires and rims are not cheap. Old tires look like crap on a new painted tractor! Just sayin. SmileThe owner won't want half a job on a restored tractor. He would want if factory fresh. If he has the money and you have the time?
I would guess he would have $10,000 in it. But its his Dads. It would be like new for many years. 

A new Kubota would be the same cost but zero memories!

Do you want a project? Even with a open check book available it still takes a lot of work to take them apart, fix the issues and get them back functioning. Then the paint and the detailing! 

I will be interested in the outcome! Good luck and have fun, and maybe go see his Dad.

The good news is you have done this work before. so you may know the moves it takes. 
Maybe let the son in law know it will be a secondary project in your shop. May take 2 years to get it done. Don't forget tow years will go by even if your not doing this. Is the son-in law trying to get this done for Dad to see?? More questions than answers for you. The comments are great!

I just got one (WD) that will stay in its work clothes but will be functional. Some should get cleaned up others should stay as is. Are you prepared to do the full resto? I think that what he is going to want. He likes your tractors!:)
Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Oct 2019 at 7:56am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:23am
This from the perspective of someone who a year or so ago, was faced with the same thing:

Except in my case, I was presented with the tractor free......but I was the one who had to fix it.  What seemed like a good deal wasn't. I quickly found out there were several good reasons why the tractor had been parked in a barn for nearly 20 years.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have to think twice. Financially, I have more in it than I could sell it for......(about $5,000 total for parts and hired labor), and that was not a cosmetic restore, that was just to get it mechanically in shape to reliably operate. And that was even with an OK engine, transmission, tires and sheet metal.  But I also have a super cool little tractor that gets used around here all the time. The utility is such that if someone offered me $5,000 for it, I probably would not sell it for that.

I'd suggest you invest the time it takes to get her engine running to find out the condition of the engine and transmission, and if that is a factory 3 point, go over it very carefully, including the critical casting that it takes to hold the hitch to the frame. Once you know what you are up against sufficient to make an educated guess on what it will take to restore it to good running condition, and then let the owners make the call.

200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:26am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

I'd vote for a full on restoration! Them D15's are sooooooo purdy when they shine like a diamond! Darrel
I agree Darrel. Look at it this way if you leave it as is there is going to be parts that rust away if you do a complete rebuild not just a paint job cover up but a complete rebuild it will last at least another 55 plus years. Cost money to do it right but what doesn't this day and age.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:27am
Rolling restoration. Fix what needs fixed first. If he wants you to do the work make it worth your time. It seems you already know how long a task takes, just put a number to it.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:47am
My vote is a full restoration . Make it run and drive like new . You did say the SIL has deep pockets . Sure hope you post lots of pics as we have 2 D 15 series 1 . Thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:27am
ac,
Ok I was supposed to vote! I vote full restoration because I like them looking like new and fully functional. (But you have to do the work not me!:))
Should be a nice well documented thread! (I thought little marv was going to do a full resto on his BIL's D series, he did a great job on the mechanical issues!)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:08am
I'd use it for awhile to find out what the issues are with the tractor,be a big waste of money to put on an expensive paint job to find out later you need to tear it apart.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:17am
BTW, does anyone have a good idea of the resale value of a fully restored (mechanical and cosmetic) D15 Series II?

Have seen a lot of running and usable D15's selling in the range of $2,000 to $4,000.....but none of them fully restored.

And by fully restored, I don't mean show quality.......just solid mechanical and a good paint job, tires etc.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

For me I am kind of 'on the fence' for doing a total paint job. It has a lot of rusty spots that need paint. For sure all 4 wheels and rims need doing.

With 5444 hours on it I would first do a compression test to get an idea about the engine condition.
That rusty oil filter looks like it has been on there for quite some time.

Wonder what's the reason for the 'flat bar' across the face of the front axle.

Gary

It is not a flat bar across the front axle.  It is a piece of angle iron with a front hitch welded to it.  Looks very well done.  Did Allis offer something like that?

We got the engine running a couple of weeks ago.  Sounds very good and does not smoke.  It also moves under its own power and the power steering works.  Needs a water pump and carb rebuild right off the bat.

Has 2 issues I have not encountered yet:  The belt pulley does not move with the tractor off and the knob in the disengaged position.
Secondly:  The PTO is on all the time but the handle does not do anything.  it moves freely between the 10:00 and 12:00 positions with no detents.  Sounds like a split is in order regardless.

Edited by DSeries4 - 14 Oct 2019 at 9:48am
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:55am
if the PTO is same as D-14, there's a 'roll pin' or 2(?) that's finlly busted. It connects the PTO lever to the shaft. There was a post 1-2 months ago where someone had use a nut and bolt to 'repair'.
Supposedly you can do it without splitting.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 12:10pm
 Sounds like its begun! I'm going for popcorn!Thumbs Up
Regards,
 Chris
C in Concord View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 1:38pm
Option 3 (cosmetic resto).  Now that the homework is done...  I'd try to gauge the son-in-law a little more before spending much more time on this.  The sentimental value as an in-law and knowledge of the resto process may not be there, even if the $ is.  Understanding his expectations should tell you how far apart you are.
Leave things better than you found them.

1941 Model C (restored 2020)
jeickman01 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeickman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:13pm
Not that it matters to the discussion about whether or not to restore, but I wonder about the strength of that front hitch.  To pull out a stuck tractor and its implement, all of the strain is going through the front axle mounts.  Seems like you could possibly pull it out from under the bolster.  (and in the back of my mind is hearing about a neighboring farmer when I was growing up that pulled the front off a D17 when plowing virgin sod with another D17 in front).  The d17 retirement project I acquired had a hitch welded to the grill guard bolted through the side frames to the bolster.  Strain bypassed the front axle.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:25pm
I would use the front hitch for pushing wagons into the barn.
Regards,
 Chris
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 6:50pm
I like shiny paint on tractors.  I would vote for total restore.  
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:43pm
Without a doubt keep her original can always restore later only original once.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:46pm
Heres what you do!

1. WAX all the orange paint
2. Repaint the wheels and Rims
3. Maybe redecal the hood...maybe

That's it!

Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic