This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire thing? Is it possible/

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire thing? Is it possible/
    Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 4:10pm
I have a garden tractor, for just plowing snow. I was in need of some info, can I put ATV tires on the rear with proper size etc. for better traction? I sure do hate to pay the cost for new AG tires, when a set of used quad tire are next to nothing?? Just wanting to know if anyone has, input??

thanks, dave
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 4:19pm
If they fit the rims go for it . I gave my grandson a set of turf tires for his dune buggy cart and he ran them until he could afford the lig tires he wanted .
 Look at tubes in them and then fluid for weight and then set of chains . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 5:18pm
YEP! I figure $20 rather than $100 per tire, I can do lots of changing over the next few years! The beer might add up! I was just concerned about any safety issues? Driveway flat, no hills!
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 5:44pm
Dave I put utv tires on my cub cadet... they are oversized but they work great. a lot better traction than the originals and they were free. someone with a utv had them swapped out and my buddie worked at the dealership ....
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 9:11pm
I put trailer tires/wheels on my EZ-Go golf cart, can turn sharper and they last longer than the originals!
Ethan Souerdike View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethan Souerdike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 4:17pm
As long as they fit, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 6:45pm
They are often of a thinner ply, and are softer than L&G tires, but I use them on my Dixie Chopper zero turn lawn mower, cause they are cheaper than the $160 that Dixie wants for their pulling tires...
ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 9:42pm
keep checking "flea-mkts" I bought a good set of AG TIRES for my 712H for $25.00 for the pair. at a flea mkt.
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 8:33pm
I plowed snow with my 716H for about 5 years. That's exactly what I did. I installed a large set of ATV aggrasive tread tires on the rear of it cause' I didn't want to mar up the driveway with chain marks. The ATV tires worked excellent! Out of the 5 years I plowed with it, I got stuck about a half dozen times and that was my own fault because of the ice under the snow. The wife had a ball. Go For it!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Seth Souerdike View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Souerdike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014 at 9:04pm
my grandpa used to pull with garden tractors. he took a chain saw and cut lugs into the tires, though i wouldn't try it unless your certain you will replace them if you goof up
There are no atheist in foxholes.

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 11:09pm
Using beer for weight?

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 7:03pm
JohnCO,   I will and do! Just what the belly can hold!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic