This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The WD is back home with a new coat of paint!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The WD is back home with a new coat of paint!
    Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 2:30pm
It's been a solid 6 months since I shipped my WD to my cousin's shop for some much needed work, but I am excited to say that we brought her home today! Here's what she looked like then:

And here she was coming home today:

I've still got a few odds and ends to finish up myself, but she has come a long, long way! Here's a short list of all the work done to her:

-Two new front hubs
-All new front hub bearings and races
-One new front rim
-Two new front tires
-Two new rear rims
-Clutch, Hand Clutch, and Brake Pedals sleeved and a new shaft installed
-New radiator (the cast lower neck style)
-New oil gauge
-New temp gauge
-New thermostat
-New thermostat housing
-New vinyl decals
-New battery box
-New battery
-Brand new Nelson muffler
-Brand new wiring harness (and many electrical components like spark plugs)
-Entirely rebuilt Knoedler seat (new bushings, welded brackets, new pins and sleeves)
-Oil and filter change
-Coolant change
-AGCO Persian Orange #1 Paint
-Case IH Argent Silver for the rims
-Lots of shiny new bolts and knobs and gaskets and grommets!
Sponsored Links

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:27pm
Looks good !!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:40pm
Yup too good!! You won't want to use it cause you'll scratch it or get it dirty! Does make a guy proud though.....
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:54pm
What a BAUTIFUL JOB.  
I can assure you they did not look that good when delivered new
Again a GREAT JOB
Good Luck!
Bill Long
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 4:08pm
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 4:11pm
One of my all time favorite tractors !!
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 4:18pm
Sure looks nice. Plans to take it to any shows? Will be fun to get to drive it in its new condition.
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 4:30pm
Beautiful job, I’d be proud to drive that tractor. The WD was the first Allis that I wanted when I Got into these tractors.
1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14
REEDE View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REEDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 6:04pm
Looking good.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 6:18pm
Lookin good! Ready to get out in the woods and drag some trees home!!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 8:59pm
Beautiful,,,,,,,,,great job
1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:07pm
GG,
You did good! We have accomplished our mission! To get you to slide down the slippery slope and spend lots of money on orange stuff! Kidding somewhat but I have been there! Your tractor looks great! Will the other one be next? I try to be careful with mine when done, but really enjoy taking them out and working them too! You will have a tractor that feels and looks as it did when new!
 Regards,
 Chris 
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:18pm
Yea, I like it! I'd say it was worth the wait. The AGCO PO1 looks real good. Thumbs UpThumbs Up
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:33pm
It looked good before going to the shop. Now it looks GREAT! Too nice to put to work now.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 10:43pm
Looks awesome!!!
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

It looked good before going to the shop. Now it looks GREAT! Too nice to put to work now.

I'd put her to work, that's what they're for!

Looking forward to 'pretty' plowing videos this fall.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 05 Jun 2021 at 7:14am
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:13am
Looks great
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:17am
Looks great 
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:36am
Always impressed on how these 70 +/- year old tractors can be brought back to almost new/ working condition. One has to wonder what rebuild capability todays tractors will be in 40 years, never mind 70 years from now, especially in the electronics side of repair/ rebuild.

But I deviate, Nice Job!

garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 11:27am
Thank you all so much for the great comments; glad you all like it! After 2 years of trying to fix bits and pieces of the old gal myself, I finally opted to let my cousin get it across the finish line (he made much faster progress than I ever could have, and was able to do all the rear rim work and painting that I couldn't have done). Feels so weird to drive a feels like new again tractor. It looks so different sitting in the shed now.

I think I bought parts and got help from so many different people and places. Yesterday's Tractors, DJ's Tractor Parts, Steiner's, Worthington, L&L Parts, Allis Chalmers Parts & Service, two local machine shops, local AGCO dealer, local Case IH dealer, it's just been crazy. Plus all sorts of help from people on the forums, following Sugarmaker's thread when he restored his tractor, people from the facebook groups, it's been incredible.

SteveM C/IL -- You're absolutely correct, I am 100% paranoid about scratching it or getting it dirty right now! But I am very happy. A lot of the family is happy too, as this is grandpa's old tractor, and they say it looks like it did back when they were kids, which is great.

Bill Long -- Thank you, I appreciate that. Wish I had a color photo of it when grandpa got it new to compare against, but everybody seems to agree it looks "correct", which makes me happy.

ac hunter -- Drives nice. A bit different now since I had calcium in it before and won't put ballast in it until I get the other tractor fixed up as well. Can tell she is a lot lighter this way. I should take her to some shows now.

john(MI) -- I'm too scared to get it dirty, yet!

Sugarmaker -- Thanks again for your thread and all the help along the way! I do want to start working on the other tractor this year for some mechanical repairs (most importantly the brakes and the front wheels/hubs), so I suspect it won't be ready for paint until sometime next year given my day job. I can't bring myself to get this one dirty yet, but I would like to keep using it to make sure she stays in good running condition. And indeed, it is quite a slippery slope and the money just kind of falls out of your pocketbook as you go on these haha. Definitely cost me more than I thought, let me just say that. And I didn't even go in as deep as you did!

JimWenig & Hubert -- Thanks! Yeah, the old paint wasn't too bad, but so glad it got stripped down and we could find all the odds and ends that were busted after all these years, and I really like the look of AGCO's PO#1.

IBWD Mike -- Can't quite bring myself to put her back on the rotary mower yet, lol. But maybe in a few months, haha.

Stan R -- Absolutely, it's hard to even work on new tractors these days. Fortunately there's good parts availability on these old tractors and they're not too bad to work on with the right tools and shop setup (which fortunately my cousin has). Hoping this tractor lasts another 70 years now!

ACinSC, plummerscain, B26240, DaveSB, Reede, Leadoff, LionelinKY,  Richardmo -- Thank you guys so much!! The love of old orange runs deep.

My cousin did all the work and I did all of the parts sourcing for him and taking stuff to machine shops as needed for repairs (as well as rebuilding the seat), and that kept me busy enough.

Now I just need to decide what my plan is for fixing up the other late model WD! It has a snap coupler and original seat on it. Then the twins will be good to go for another 70 years, hopefully.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 2:19pm
I left out the misadventure we had trying to get it loaded and home and off the trailer... I got a brand new battery for her, and installed it yesterday morning and the starter just went "click". I was like "oh no". Well, borrowed stuff from my cousin so we could load it on the trailer. Get it to the other end of the travel, and have to have my dad drive over to swap stuff around so we can get her unloaded. This tractor uses a generator, so she's still a 6V/8V, and not a lot of that sitting around these days.

Take the new battery out and go to the shop I bought it from 2 weeks ago. It registers 2 volts low (bad cell?). They walk over and grab me a new one off the shelf, check it, and out the door I go (didn't even ask me for a receipt or anything; the major upshot of having a reputable local dealer of stuff). Put it in the old gal and she fires right up on the first spin.

Then go out to my other tractor that has a 12V conversion with an alternator. I just ran her 2 weeks ago. Pull the starter and nothing. Take that battery into the shop, and sure enough she is toast (I watched him run the load test). So I picked up a new one and haven't gotten around to installing it yet (on tomorrow's agenda).

So I was 2 for 2 on batteries yesterday lol. And man, doesn't matter what you buy, seems like a decent battery is north of $70 these days. What I expected to be a 3 hour adventure wound up taking me from 8AM to 6PM with all the driving around and making a big round trip to the battery shop for two batteries lol. But I got my fixed up tractor back home safely and parked in the shed and she runs; so I am happy, if just a bit tired today. Smile

Sidenote: Also, I am so glad I spent the extra cash ($150) to buy a third ramp for loading the narrow front onto the trailer. Was worth the money. It's about a foot shorter than the 2 ramps that stow in the trailer, at just a shade over 5 foot long, but it worked amazingly. No puckering up as you try and go up and down a wooden plank or manuever 2 ramps for 3 spaces.

Edited by garden_guy - 05 Jun 2021 at 2:30pm
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 3:40pm
Nice job! I enjoy still seeing them as they came from the factory as 6V. Good heavy battery cables are key. My WD spins over quickly since I upgraded the cables to 1/0 wielding cables. Nice that it has the late trans, curved shifter. Much quieter transmission than my 52’. No doubt the tractor that put AC on the map.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 6:40pm
The tractor sure does look good. Its a lot of work restoring one. Enjoy it. 
   Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:36pm
Years ago I bought a new battery . When I got home and installed it , my old truck wouldn't even turn over . One of my battery cables was pretty bad so back to town for a new one . Installed it . Still nothing . Put my old battery in and my truck started right up . Took new battery back and it was dead as a hammer . I always have a battery checked now before I leave with it

Edited by ACinSC - 05 Jun 2021 at 7:37pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 8:46pm
nice looking tractor. Thanks for sharing 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 12:30pm
ACinSC -- Oh wow, that bites. My uncle and I stripped pretty much all the connections apart and cleaned them to make sure nothing was causing us to not get full power, but nothing of note popped up. Even the ground strap was brand new. Definitely a good call to have a new battery checked before you leave with it, as the round trip to get another one and the time wasted troubleshooting what else it could be sucks.

Mikez -- Thanks!!
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 12:31pm
Much better!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 9:22pm
Went back out to my 12V conversion tractor tonight with a new battery, and she wouldn't even attempt to spin over when I pulled the starter... I figure there isn't a lot that can keep the starter from spinning, except for a bad ground strap, a bad cable to the starter, or a worn out starter switch or bad starter ground... So I ordered a new ground strap (heavy one) and a new starter cable (heavy one). Guess I'm getting an early start on working on tractor #2 now lol. Plan to take the starter out and clean it up of oil and gunk on the cone and where it mounts into the housing, and clean up the other connections there as well. Always something!

Play Farmer -- Thanks!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 5:52pm
Posted a short video with a slideshow for some friends and family to see her that don't live around here, since it was grandpa's tractor. Put a little bit of video of it running at the start. Love the sound of that Nelson muffler. She's got an M&W Piston set in the motor, too.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 8:38pm
GG,
 Wonderful job on the family WD! Thanks for the video and pictures!
Side note; they do make a narrow hood material the same width as the band. Try Brenda At Sandy Lake.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic