This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something I Don't Like About a CA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something I Don't Like About a CA
    Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 5:05pm
The way it shifts gears. I don't think I have ever been able to simply change gears without playing around. Sometimes I pop the clutch to give the tranny a spin in neutral then give it a try just a the gears come to a stop, and sometimes I put pressure against the gear I want and gently left the clutch peddle till it goes in. Either way its alot of fooling around. My Farmall H on the other hand shifts very easy and almost never has this problem. I figure this is somewhat inharrent because the shift dogs only have about 6 teeth so there is very little or no chance they are lined up between shifts. Does the anoy anyone else. I hear the D series are just as bad and a friend of mine said he sold his D15 for because of it.

Edited by wkpoor - 29 Sep 2010 at 5:05pm
Sponsored Links

DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 5:14pm
My C is kind of like that, but i've been driving one since I was old enough to (kinda) reach the pedals. I don't even think about it. I just pull it to the gear I want, then gently start out with the clutch. It falls right in and off I go. Nice smooth startoff. One thing I tend to forget is to idle it all the way down when I get off for something. If I leave it around 1/4 throttle, the gears get spinning pretty fast in there, and I get a nice GRRRR when I try to pull the shifter over to the gear I want. Oops! Have to hold in the clutch and wait a minute. What really bugs me is when I get off and set the park brake(usually only the left side), and then forget to disengage it when I get back on. Usually don't notice it til I smell hot brakes. Should  notice it pulling to the left, but doesn't dawn on me until afterward. 

Edited by DREAM - 29 Sep 2010 at 5:15pm
John(IN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:05pm
My CA shifts just fine and I find it easier than my H because with the H I'm often banging my forearm on the steering wheel for a couple of the gears.
Learn something every day!
StewartMD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StewartMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:35pm
My CA shifts smooth the majority of the time but I do agree our D-17 seems to never line up easily.
8030, 8010, 220, 185, 160, D-17, WD, Unstyled WC, CA, G, 20-35, Gleaner E
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:43pm
I wonder if collar wear in the transmission has anything to do with it? This CA tranny shows no wear at all yet.
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:47pm
I think clutch drag does that, my B is bad for it.  You have to slow to idle and wait.  Some parts are 60 years young tho.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:47pm
If you read the owners manual, it says to push the clutch in, wait a second or 2 and then put it in gear as the gears are stopping turning. Do not wait until the gears have stopped completely. Bob
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Chalmersbob Chalmersbob wrote:

If you read the owners manual, it says to push the clutch in, wait a second or 2 and then put it in gear as the gears are stopping turning. Do not wait until the gears have stopped completely. Bob
Thanks Bob, what I always say, after you have tried everything, then read the manual. BTW thats pretty much how I do it most of the time.
Brad MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 9:06pm
Engage the PTO and try it. Sometimes the drag produced by he PTO is enough to slow the tranny faster. I have to do that on my SC B. 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 6:20am
I guess growing up on D series I've never noticed a problem. I don't grind the gears but I can feel when the gear is about to stop as I put slight pressure on the stick and then in it goes.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
weiner43 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:17am
I have never noticed this on my CA or any tractor that I`ve owned, but did spout out under my breath on a sertain John Deere 70 I had the misfortune to have to use one summer. That was the same summer I fell in love with the D14 and D19.
God bless our troops and the United States of America.

Pick your rut well, you may be in it a long time.
bigfish_Oh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:58am
what I don't like is that I don't have one.!!!!  It will have to wait
1941 WC sat for 29 years,started & dynoed 27 h.p.
1957 WD45 Grandpa bought new,factory p.s.,added wfe
1951 WD, factory p.s.
1960 D14 HnMk IV BkHoe 4 sale
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:10am
Hey Bill, I checked out my hydraulics on my CA and didnt notice the problem you talked about.   Good Luck,
 Joe
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:57am

My CA will do that sometimes. I leave the pto engaged all the time so the pump will stop the gears quicker. Some times I have to give the gears a little bump with the clutch. I'd say it's just the nature of non syncronized gears.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 12:13pm
The only thing I don't like is getting on and off the CA. Mine has a loader so you can't mount from the front. If I try shifting without waiting for the gears to stop it will grind. No problem wait 2 or 3 seconds after pushing clutch in.
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 5:31pm
I don't have an issue with the spin down time. However almost always I can't engage a gear still after maybe 2 or 3 spin downs without just grinding it in. Only way is to put pressure aginst where I want to go and then slowly let up on the clutch peddle till the collars line up and it goes in.
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:06pm
LOL.  On our D17, when I started driving it, I couldn't reach the foot clutch, just disengaged the hand clutch and shifted-never had a problem!
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:16pm
I have a B  that spins down some.right after i restored it i read on here that the input bearing on trans was supposed to have drag on it . To much troble to go back in to fix.
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 5:26pm
Got a little heads up today that one reason some say theirs does and say theirs don't could be because of a change to the transmission in 53. Mine is a 52. Anybody have any specifics on this change. Its probably they just added more teeth to the collars so there is more chance to line up.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 7:31pm
Still the transmissions without synchronizers (that allowed shifting on the go) deserved the name "Crash Boxes."

Gerald J.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic