Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18885
Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 8:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Something I Don't Like About a CA
Posted By: wkpoor
Subject: Something I Don't Like About a CA
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 5:05pm
The way it shifts gears. I don't think I have ever been able to simply change gears without playing around. Sometimes I pop the clutch to give the tranny a spin in neutral then give it a try just a the gears come to a stop, and sometimes I put pressure against the gear I want and gently left the clutch peddle till it goes in. Either way its alot of fooling around. My Farmall H on the other hand shifts very easy and almost never has this problem. I figure this is somewhat inharrent because the shift dogs only have about 6 teeth so there is very little or no chance they are lined up between shifts. Does the anoy anyone else. I hear the D series are just as bad and a friend of mine said he sold his D15 for because of it.

Replies:
Posted By: DREAM
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 5:14pm
My C is kind of like that, but i've been driving one since I was old enough to (kinda) reach the pedals. I don't even think about it. I just pull it to the gear I want, then gently start out with the clutch. It falls right in and off I go. Nice smooth startoff. One thing I tend to forget is to idle it all the way down when I get off for something. If I leave it around 1/4 throttle, the gears get spinning pretty fast in there, and I get a nice GRRRR when I try to pull the shifter over to the gear I want. Oops! Have to hold in the clutch and wait a minute. What really bugs me is when I get off and set the park brake(usually only the left side), and then forget to disengage it when I get back on. Usually don't notice it til I smell hot brakes. Should  notice it pulling to the left, but doesn't dawn on me until afterward. 

Posted By: John(IN)
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:05pm
My CA shifts just fine and I find it easier than my H because with the H I'm often banging my forearm on the steering wheel for a couple of the gears.

-------------
Learn something every day!

Posted By: StewartMD
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:35pm
My CA shifts smooth the majority of the time but I do agree our D-17 seems to never line up easily.

-------------
8030, 8010, 220, 185, 160, D-17, WD, Unstyled WC, CA, G, 20-35, Gleaner E

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:43pm
I wonder if collar wear in the transmission has anything to do with it? This CA tranny shows no wear at all yet.

Posted By: Rick of HopeIN
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:47pm
I think clutch drag does that, my B is bad for it.  You have to slow to idle and wait.  Some parts are 60 years young tho.

-------------
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless

Posted By: Chalmersbob
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:47pm
If you read the owners manual, it says to push the clutch in, wait a second or 2 and then put it in gear as the gears are stopping turning. Do not wait until the gears have stopped completely. Bob

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Chalmersbob Chalmersbob wrote:

If you read the owners manual, it says to push the clutch in, wait a second or 2 and then put it in gear as the gears are stopping turning. Do not wait until the gears have stopped completely. Bob
Thanks Bob, what I always say, after you have tried everything, then read the manual. BTW thats pretty much how I do it most of the time.

Posted By: Brad MI
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 9:06pm
Engage the PTO and try it. Sometimes the drag produced by he PTO is enough to slow the tranny faster. I have to do that on my SC B. 

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 6:20am
I guess growing up on D series I've never noticed a problem. I don't grind the gears but I can feel when the gear is about to stop as I put slight pressure on the stick and then in it goes.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: weiner43
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:17am
I have never noticed this on my CA or any tractor that I`ve owned, but did spout out under my breath on a sertain John Deere 70 I had the misfortune to have to use one summer. That was the same summer I fell in love with the D14 and D19.

-------------
God bless our troops and the United States of America.

Pick your rut well, you may be in it a long time.

Posted By: bigfish_Oh
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:58am
what I don't like is that I don't have one.!!!!  It will have to wait

-------------
1941 WC sat for 29 years,started & dynoed 27 h.p.
1957 WD45 Grandpa bought new,factory p.s.,added wfe
1951 WD, factory p.s.
1960 D14 HnMk IV BkHoe 4 sale
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually

Posted By: Joe(OH)
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:10am
Hey Bill, I checked out my hydraulics on my CA and didnt notice the problem you talked about.   Good Luck,
 Joe

-------------
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:57am

My CA will do that sometimes. I leave the pto engaged all the time so the pump will stop the gears quicker. Some times I have to give the gears a little bump with the clutch. I'd say it's just the nature of non syncronized gears.

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Posted By: Dakota Dave
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 12:13pm
The only thing I don't like is getting on and off the CA. Mine has a loader so you can't mount from the front. If I try shifting without waiting for the gears to stop it will grind. No problem wait 2 or 3 seconds after pushing clutch in.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 5:31pm
I don't have an issue with the spin down time. However almost always I can't engage a gear still after maybe 2 or 3 spin downs without just grinding it in. Only way is to put pressure aginst where I want to go and then slowly let up on the clutch peddle till the collars line up and it goes in.

Posted By: WC7610
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:06pm
LOL.  On our D17, when I started driving it, I couldn't reach the foot clutch, just disengaged the hand clutch and shifted-never had a problem!

-------------
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson

Posted By: wfmurray
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:16pm
I have a B  that spins down some.right after i restored it i read on here that the input bearing on trans was supposed to have drag on it . To much troble to go back in to fix.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 5:26pm
Got a little heads up today that one reason some say theirs does and say theirs don't could be because of a change to the transmission in 53. Mine is a 52. Anybody have any specifics on this change. Its probably they just added more teeth to the collars so there is more chance to line up.

Posted By: Gerald J.
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 7:31pm
Still the transmissions without synchronizers (that allowed shifting on the go) deserved the name "Crash Boxes."

Gerald J.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net