This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snow removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow removal
    Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 4:20pm
On a small compact tractor such as a John Deere 2570,
which would be better for clearing driveway snow, a front
mounted blade, or a rear 3pt  scrape blade (swinging
offset, reversible).
Thanks
Sponsored Links

oldironguy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldironguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 4:27pm
From my Minnesota perspective, I'd say definitely go with the front blade.  Reversing the blade is a pain, especially when it's really cold.  Or go south.

Dick
mtanut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 4:35pm
The front mount will do a better job, but most end up with a rear mount because of the cost difference. Factory front mounts will be power angle and power down.
I have a 185 Allis, 6060 Allis, Model K gleaner, SMTA ferg 35, ferg 20 (paps first tractor, Allis B (wife's)John Deere 240 skid loader and a bunch of the usual farm stuff.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 6:56pm
I'm also a MN. snow remover person-- so my preferance would be anything on the front, ideally a loader. many years ago I worked at a
Gulf gas station and owner had a furgeson with a back blade and it was a pain useing backing up all the time but I must say did a good job.

Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 7:30pm
in southern Ohio all we ever had was tractor with rear blade and loader.  But we did not get snow that often.   We moved a lot more manure than snow and rear blade was on the loader tractor most of the time anyway.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Al in WMA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al in WMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 7:45pm
I take the loader off the 25 hp 4WD Yanmar and put my 6 1/2 foot power angle plow on to handle my 900 foot long driveway.  Last year we had a little over 100 inches of snow!  When the banks need to be pushed back I put the rear blade on and roll them over.  Rarely use the loader in the winter.
Education is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.
RMD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 8:34am
A front mounted blade that you can angle to cast to the side is always the most efficient.  The main anvantage with a rear blade is on unpaved driveways - you can push with the back side of the blade and it wont dig into the ground.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 8:45am
This should be your choice!  Not AC but Orange!!!

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 9:05am
I used a rear mounted blade and loader bucket for about 3 years to do my own 400 ft drive as well as a large church lot. Reversed blade and pushed snow going backwards. Bucket was 7' with the extensions on it and would go fwd and stack snow , then clean up going backwards.
 Next was rear facing snow blower (2 stage) which worked better than the backblade.
Next was Jeep Commander with a 6 1/2' Myers plow, then 3/4 ton Chev with Western Pro 71/2' blade.  Something about being inside a cab, dry, warm, and not looking backwards just makes things better.
 Going forward anytime is easier than trying to look over your shoulder .
that Case blower looks like a single stage. Keep thinking of getting a blower for my New Holland small tractor for cleaning up around house and shop where it's hard to get the pickup close or between.
 Now have a 8 1/2' Boss plow on the 2000 GMC and will make the 11th year with that truck.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 6:56pm
Thanks all.
Sounds like the front mounted blade is a favorite.
What I have been using is an AC 160 with 6ft grader box pushing
backwards.  Going forwards with the box means the wheels will lift off
the ground and spin, unless I take little bites.

I don't have a  rear scraper blade. But they are cheap and universal.

I need (like to have) a small narrow tractor like that JD 2720 to
fit in tight area (blueberries in this case). So I thought I would would
get a decent snow removal solution in the deal.  Finding a used one with
front plow  blade may be tough.  New is an option, haven't bought a new
toy in a long time (since April).

Humm, new tractor toy vs  inexpensive 3pt attachment to old tractor.

1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 7:16pm
I FOUND IS TO JUST LET THE WIFE SHOVEL IT.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic