On a small compact tractor such as a John Deere 2570,
which would be better for clearing driveway snow, a front
mounted blade, or a rear 3pt  scrape blade (swinging
offset, reversible).
Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: oldironguy
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 4:27pm
From my Minnesota perspective, I'd say definitely go with the front blade.  Reversing the blade is a pain, especially when it's really cold.  Or go south.

Dick

Posted By: mtanut
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 4:35pm
The front mount will do a better job, but most end up with a rear mount because of the cost difference. Factory front mounts will be power angle and power down.

-------------
I have a 185 Allis, 6060 Allis, Model K gleaner, SMTA ferg 35, ferg 20 (paps first tractor, Allis B (wife's)John Deere 240 skid loader and a bunch of the usual farm stuff.

Posted By: B26240
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 6:56pm
I'm also a MN. snow remover person-- so my preferance would be anything on the front, ideally a loader. many years ago I worked at a
Gulf gas station and owner had a furgeson with a back blade and it was a pain useing backing up all the time but I must say did a good job.

Posted By: Rick of HopeIN
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 7:30pm
in southern Ohio all we ever had was tractor with rear blade and loader.  But we did not get snow that often.   We moved a lot more manure than snow and rear blade was on the loader tractor most of the time anyway.

-------------
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless

Posted By: Al in WMA
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 7:45pm
I take the loader off the 25 hp 4WD Yanmar and put my 6 1/2 foot power angle plow on to handle my 900 foot long driveway.  Last year we had a little over 100 inches of snow!  When the banks need to be pushed back I put the rear blade on and roll them over.  Rarely use the loader in the winter.

-------------
Education is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Posted By: RMD
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 8:34am
A front mounted blade that you can angle to cast to the side is always the most efficient.  The main anvantage with a rear blade is on unpaved driveways - you can push with the back side of the blade and it wont dig into the ground.

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 8:45am
This should be your choice!  Not AC but Orange!!!

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 9:05am
I used a rear mounted blade and loader bucket for about 3 years to do my own 400 ft drive as well as a large church lot. Reversed blade and pushed snow going backwards. Bucket was 7' with the extensions on it and would go fwd and stack snow , then clean up going backwards.
 Next was rear facing snow blower (2 stage) which worked better than the backblade.
Next was Jeep Commander with a 6 1/2' Myers plow, then 3/4 ton Chev with Western Pro 71/2' blade.  Something about being inside a cab, dry, warm, and not looking backwards just makes things better.
 Going forward anytime is easier than trying to look over your shoulder .
that Case blower looks like a single stage. Keep thinking of getting a blower for my New Holland small tractor for cleaning up around house and shop where it's hard to get the pickup close or between.
 Now have a 8 1/2' Boss plow on the 2000 GMC and will make the 11th year with that truck.

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Posted By: BrianC
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 6:56pm
Thanks all.
Sounds like the front mounted blade is a favorite.
What I have been using is an AC 160 with 6ft grader box pushing
backwards.  Going forwards with the box means the wheels will lift off
the ground and spin, unless I take little bites.

I don't have a  rear scraper blade. But they are cheap and universal.

I need (like to have) a small narrow tractor like that JD 2720 to
fit in tight area (blueberries in this case). So I thought I would would
get a decent snow removal solution in the deal.  Finding a used one with
front plow  blade may be tough.  New is an option, haven't bought a new
toy in a long time (since April).

Humm, new tractor toy vs  inexpensive 3pt attachment to old tractor.

Posted By: 1946WP
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 7:16pm
I FOUND IS TO JUST LET THE WIFE SHOVEL IT.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net