This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Road Speed Of Combines ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Road Speed Of Combines ??
    Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 6:46pm
Talked with a friend of mine that took possession of 2- 2 year old  N/H combines that said their "road" speed is 25 MPH ShockedShocked !! Is this common for all class 7 and above machines for road travel ??EmbarrassedEmbarrassed
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:06pm
bet you could google it.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

bet you could google it.

So you don't own/operate one ??WinkWink
I was "hoping" for O/O input LOLLOL !!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:22pm
I think my 'new" R62 goes over 20....that was January when I drove it home so memory ain't there.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:35pm
Thank you !!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 7:56pm
drove an N5 about 18 miles one day, it went about 35 MPH. was clocked by the vehicle following me. didn't bounce all over like some do at 15-18 MPH. one of my "G" combines would do about 20, and the other did about 15, same tranny in both. the one that was the slowest was squirely on the road. 
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:03pm
Most Gleaner rotaries have been running 22 to 25 since the N series. Anything with a 30.5 32 tire or bigger have been at least.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:13pm
It’s a good thing I don’t have to road my E anywhere because it’s snail slow on the road. It might be 10 mph...
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:46pm
At 25 mph, better have all good linkage on steering. Any thing that steers by rear axel can be squirely on the road.                       MACK
MikeKroupa View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:31pm
Our S78 and S97 do 23 mph plus. Hammer down to the next field!
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:20pm
My L2 rolls down the road 23 mph if you brave enough
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:19pm
Yes. Probably best to road drive any newer rotor combine with your hand/fingers on their throttle/engine rpm speed buttons(1,2,3 rpm settings)to quickly reduce their top-end speeds, if situations demand it. IMO-Engine speed reductions usually make for safer/gentler drivetrain maneuvering than pulling back on transmission hydro lever at high idle.
The newer Gleaner rotor combines(maybe other brands too?) have more rear steer axle weight than the older conventional combines. So rotor’s additional weight distribution probably allows them better steer control for higher road speeds? Try roading an older conventional gleaner with an attached cornhead, in high gear. Fifteen mph & things could get interesting because it may not have had enough rear axle steer tire weight. On the other hand, the older 2wd conventionals transverse soft soils if equipped with wider float tires because more of their weight is concentrated on their drive axle. The larger rotor gleaner’s rear wheel assist is much needed in soft soils because of their increased base machine weights too.
The L2 weighs 14,700lbs.
An N6 weighs 18,820lbs.
An R52 weighs 20,840lbs
An R75 weighs 28,500lbs.
An A85 weighs 37,700lbs.
An S77 weighs 29,740lbs.
An S98 weighs 33,920lbs.
Think these weights are high? Some competitor brand combines can easily add upward of 10,000+ lbs to the Gleaner weights!

Edited by AC7060IL - 17 Sep 2021 at 6:25am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:39am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

drove an N5 about 18 miles one day, it went about 35 MPH. was clocked by the vehicle following me. didn't bounce all over like some do at 15-18 MPH. one of my "G" combines would do about 20, and the other did about 15, same tranny in both. the one that was the slowest was squirely on the road. 
Not sure if  you're crazy, full of BS, or actually stupid.  Sorry.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:32am
Maybe 35 Kilometers per hour, which does calculate to 21.75 miles per hour  which is more like it??  on a dual read speedometer maybe the driver was cornfused ??
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 10:44am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Maybe 35 Kilometers per hour, which does calculate to 21.75 miles per hour  which is more like it??  on a dual read speedometer maybe the driver was cornfused ??
Much more likely, and a plausible explanation.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 3:42pm

I believe you Wink I might of had a MH up to that speed. Broke the hydraulic drive belts and the hydro free wheeled and away I went down the hill. Thank fully It did not tip over when the up hill steering brake garbed. Just bounced a few more times and slowed as I contoured it into the hill.

We moved as many as 4 MH2's down the road. The oldest most hours machine first to set the pace. The hydro's get slower the more warn they are.  They all did a bit over 20 mph. Moved 2 and 3, 50 miles or so at a time, a lot of that on the 4 lane California 101 highway. Then they added a JD 6622, that thing would not do 15 mph.

Over the years drove 6 different MH2's. One was always a little more squirrely going down the road than the rest. Several wanted to bounce the back axle more as they aged. We played with things never got like new. Also tried to keep water in the rear tires. But with repairs and all did run down the road with only one watered sometimes, it mattered.  
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 5:55pm

WOW Shameless SmileSmile !!  The "quickest" machine that I drove down the road was a neighbors Case Diesel 630 with Triple Range, 28 MPH Wink !! 
Was your N5 "naked" or did it have a header on it SmileBig smile ??
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:42pm
If I’m not mistaken, some Uni’s had a suitcase rack for weights on the rear-end.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 7:01pm
We all know ole Shamers sometimes "exaggerates" a little, now and then...Wink

Here he is balin hay!

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

We all know ole Shamers sometimes "exaggerates" a little, now and then...Wink

Here he is balin hay!

Well, that would certainly explain a few things!
Gregor View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:27am
Years ago, I bought a N6 at a consignment action and neighbor bought a 1660 CIh.  We picked up the same day and drove home about 20 miles.  He had about a 10-15 minute start on me.  I caught up to him about 10 miles down the road and I was not maxing out my speed.  He was.  We still chuckle about that day over a beer now and then.  1st and only time he was passed in a combine by another combine.  
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 2:03pm
Re: the baling vid

Wow!

Don't try that at home!

Edited by Ron(AB) - 20 Sep 2021 at 2:04pm
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 4:23pm
My L3 says it does 27 mph, but the app on my phone says 23.

I’ve ran Deere 7720 and 8820 for a friend and they’re 12-14 mph.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:03am
Never thought I'd have to worry about speed rating of ag tires, and to have them balanced when mounted!LOL
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:05am
L-3's don't do 27 mph. Speedometer needs to be calibrated.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:07am
Not a combine, but the fastest ag unit we ever had was a Ford 6000 with the POS (er, SOS, dang I always screw that up) transmission.  Been too long to remember but seems the tach/ speedo said somewhere around 28 mph?  You DIDN'T want to actually go full speed, the rear tires would start rocking sideways, steering would get real squirrely, knuckles would start getting really white.  Slow down, live longer.  

Edited by Tbone95 - 21 Sep 2021 at 8:17am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:17am
The mighty Ford 6000 Commander with the 10-speed SOJ (select-a-jerk) transmission  !!!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:18am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

The mighty Ford 6000 Commander with the 10-speed SOJ (select-a-jerk) transmission  !!!!
That would be the one!LOL
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 6:28pm
Actually the Silver King highway mowers had a stock speed of a whopping 45 MPH!  IIRR, that is the fastest of any stock tractor.  I had a MF Turf 20, that had a top end of about 35MPH, that was just plain scary at speed, had bad tie rod ends, so I hadda put both feet against the tie rod ends near the console, to control the shaking at top speed!  But I was younger, then!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:41pm
An M-M UDLX would do 40...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic