This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding the D14 backhoe/loader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 10:19am
I be thinking Shameless doesn't want to worry about anyone finding his tractors on Google Earth.
Sponsored Links

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 11:18am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

OOOPS,,, pic did a Shameless and didn't load,,,tryin again,,,
pistons have GE380 on the pin boss and Confor-matic.
Piston OD. is 3.530

Joe here is what (might) have been in the mind of the person that designed the piston if it was for this engine, which I doubt. Not my thoughts personally.
This design puts the firing chamber around the outside of the cylinder rather than in the center.

When the piston is on the way down it creates a vacuum drawing the fuel mixture in. The fuel mixture flows in thru the valve seat 360ยบ to the outside of the cylinder wall evenly without restrictions. After ignition with the piston on its way up and the exhaust valve open the exhaust is pushed out evenly with less restrictions. This would allow more air to pass through the engine for more HP.

This goes against the theory I have been taught that the crater firing chamber creates a swirl of the fuel mixture to give the most complete ignition. The firing chambers normally are crater whether it is in the head or piston.

This piston design would create a swirl as the mixture bounces off the cylinder wall. I am not sure if it would be equal to the crater swirl for ignition. My thoughts are it wouldn't but without test results I will keep an open mind.

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 10:37pm

Hey DickL,,I did a little cruising on the web but only found the following.. The Pistons were made by Comformatic Piston Co for the Pow'r Seal Engine Kits of days gone by. They were built along the lines of the M&W Turbo Dome pistons. Couldn't find any more specifics,,but it is what it is,,as far as I'm concerned. I mike'd the piston to valve clearance and no interference issues there. Charging ON,,I say,,,,!!! Thanks for your help,,,
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 4:10am
"that bunker" has a log guest house sittin on top of it, and a main log home off to the side...the machine shed is hidden out in the trees aways. whew! what a place that is!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 8:46am

OK,,,,,,and how many of your " money in the ground" holes are you gonna have to dig up to pay for this monsterous palace in the ground,,,,??
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 12:25am

OK,,149 engine Gurus,,,,,,
Pulled a shameless here,and no pics,,but refaced the valves, lapped em in and re-installed all in the cylinder head. Lookin good so far,,,!!
   Waiting on some issues on the Series II so been workin on the 149 for the D14 and come up on something puzzling. Went to replace the gasket on the front cover and decided to replace the front seal as well. The book I have says to use a "special Allis Tool" to center the seal on the crankshaft before installing the cover,,,,??? doesn't make sense to me,,,,???? Looks to me, that the seal is driven on the cover, then set the cover OVER the crankshaft and bolt it down,,,,,? Am I missing something here,,,???? Thanks for any help,,,,
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 12:33am
I ain't gots enough "loaded" holes Joe....they wants $3.2 million for it! the driveway is about a little over a 1/2 mile long and is done in all paver bricks! along with the electric remote controlled gated entry! I might hafta sell a few more pickups or suburbans!
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 7:04am

OK,,149 engine Gurus,,,,,,
Pulled a shameless here,and no pics,,but refaced the valves, lapped em in and re-installed all in the cylinder head. Lookin good so far,,,!!
   Waiting on some issues on the Series II so been workin on the 149 for the D14 and come up on something puzzling. Went to replace the gasket on the front cover and decided to replace the front seal as well. The book I have says to use a "special Allis Tool" to center the seal on the crankshaft before installing the cover,,,,??? doesn't make sense to me,,,,???? Looks to me, that the seal is driven on the cover, then set the cover OVER the crankshaft and bolt it down,,,,,? Am I missing something here,,,???? Thanks for any help,,,,

I have lost a front seal or two by not checking center well when replacing the flat front timing gear covers. All because of a lack of carful attention. With the special tool you can leave the bifocals in your pocket. After loosing a seal or two a person learns to check closely when not having a centering tool. Hopefully they do not need replaced often enough to require locating dowel pins.

Edited by Dick L - 19 Aug 2015 at 7:05am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 9:20am

Mr. Lemmon,,,once again,,Thanks for putting with my questions,,,but I'm learning from these.
    I forgot to mention on the cylinder head assembly, tell me what you think,,,? I always install the old style Rambler "cup" seals or "umbrella" seals as they call em now, on the intake valves. This helps control the intake valve sucking oil down into the combustion chamber. The valve guides on this head were nice and snug but what's to hurt with the cup seals,,huh,,?? Granted they are not a "positive seal" such as the pressed on valve seals available for worn valve guides,,, but,,???
On the front seal,,,if you drive the new seal onto the cover,,,THEN very CAREFULLY center the cover over the crankshaft snout,,,, and then lash down the cover bolts,,,you should be good to go,,,HUH,,?? It's odd the AC engineers didn't design locating dowell pins at the bottom of cover,,cause there are two locating pins at the governor opening,,,??
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 12:08pm

Mr. Lemmon,,,once again,,Thanks for putting with my questions,,,but I'm learning from these.
    I forgot to mention on the cylinder head assembly, tell me what you think,,,? I always install the old style Rambler "cup" seals or "umbrella" seals as they call em now, on the intake valves. This helps control the intake valve sucking oil down into the combustion chamber. The valve guides on this head were nice and snug but what's to hurt with the cup seals,,huh,,?? Granted they are not a "positive seal" such as the pressed on valve seals available for worn valve guides,,, but,,???
On the front seal,,,if you drive the new seal onto the cover,,,THEN very CAREFULLY center the cover over the crankshaft snout,,,, and then lash down the cover bolts,,,you should be good to go,,,HUH,,?? It's odd the AC engineers didn't design locating dowell pins at the bottom of cover,,cause there are two locating pins at the governor opening,,,??

Any of these types of heads that had the valve stem seals over the valve guides had more wear than any I have taken apart without seals. They were not used when new and will most likely last longer than you with or without seals My guess is that they are necessary with higher temperature thermostats. Not so much at the lower temperatures.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 4:33pm

Well,,,Guess what,,,,? IT'S ready to go in,,,,, the 149 er,,,156 is ready to go in the D14 and get lashed up,,!! wound up it being a pretty good engine,,just needed a little TLC and a fistfill of dollars,,, Ground the valves as per the manual. Did find one of the rocker arm stands was cracked in the vertical all the way thru and one push rod was bent. (Lookin for these two items now) The oil pump had been leakin for some time and was a mess back there. Took the pump out and found a bad gasket but am glad I pulled the pump. There was excessive clearance (.025) between the rotor and the back plate,,! The book calls for .002. I was not able to chuck the plate in my lathe to take a cut on it. Pulled the pump off the original D14 engine and rotor clearance miked out at,,,,,,.002,,,Heavens to Betsy,,,!!!! Got some of Shameless's "Rattle Cans" and did the trick on the engine,,,Looks pretty good. Having to fix a flat on the dolly and will wheel it around to " Put it in"
I need some suggestions from the group.
I have a big "A frame" type engine puller made out of 2" pipe and want to install some wheels on it to be able to move it back and forth when you have a load on the chain hoist. I have 4 8" pneumatic tires that I think would work good as far as being able to roll around if I can figure a way to install em on the A Frame,,,,,
Any ideas,,,???    THANKS

Edited by desertjoe - 24 Aug 2015 at 4:35pm
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 5:08pm
These wheels you have. .....do they have any mounting hardware with em, like swivels, or forks, or anything like that? If'n they don't, then I'd just buy some heavy duty rubber coated steel wheels with swivels on at least two of em, and weld them on.
Looks like in that one picture, the series 2 LPG is got it's nose sticking out. Glad you haven't sold it. DARREL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 9:50pm

Well Darrel,,,I'd have to go pull a Shameless and dig up another coffee can of dollar bills is why I wanted to use what I have here. Plus them being Pneumatic will make it easier to roll on the dirt, where the D14 is now,,,,cause,,,,cause,,,, there is NO WAY the Chairman is going to stand for me moving another of our cars out from under the carport just to put "another one of your dang tractors under there". You see,,,I had to move her favorite Toyota Sequoia out to get the D15 under there,,,,so,,,moving the other car out ain't gonna fly too swift,,,,,
Anyway, I was thinkin makin some "U" shaped frames out of some 3/8" X 3" strap I have, with a removable 5/8" axle and a 1" or so piece of cold roll to go up into the 2" A Frame leg and still swivel,,,,,,,????
make sense,,??
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 9:56pm
Them dollars buried in coffee cans are just going to rot away anyhow. Dig em up and spend em before the coffee cans get a hole rusted clean through em and the earth worms turn them dollars into fertilizer. But otherwise, your plan makes good sense. Darrel
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 10:04pm
they sell new car ports for $675. erected! whew!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 3:29am

And,,,,and,,,pray tell,,,how is a new $675 carport gonna help move the A Frame, with a 1 1/2 ton chain hoist hanging off it and a 423# AC engine suspended on it,,,,,????
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 4:34am
because you kin puts the new car port outs back fer yer old ladys....oooops....I mean yer loving wifes car, then you gots the other one to works in! PffffT! do I gots to show you everthang?
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 4:37am
shucks...you can use one of them tall cactus's for the top beam of yer "A" frame, them things is tough!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:59pm

Well,,,,now that you mention it,,,I could use that big mesquite and hang 'ta other end of the pipe,,on it huh,???? but I don't like workin round them cactus's too much cause they all got shootin spines,,,,!!! you just gotta walk within a coupl'a feet of em and they shoot them spines at you,,,,and,,,,and,,,them spines got a poisom on the tips that burns awful,,,!!!

how you know I got cactus's anyhow,,,???

Edited by desertjoe - 25 Aug 2015 at 10:00pm
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 11:51pm
shucks...they grow like weeds down in your parts of the country! sides...I've been thru NM lots of times! if'n ya ever needs any rubber tarp straps, just go out on the interstate, there must be 200 per mile on the side of the road!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 11:52pm
we tried to move one of them cactus's once with the ferd dually, came home with a bent bumper!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 6:42am

Well,,,I'll just be danged,,,,,was that you I seen that time runnin along the freeway pickin up all them bungie straps,,,???
You prolly didn'tknow it but you almost caused several accidents,,,,,,people swerving when you run out on the freeway to get one,,,,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 8:26am
Joe, them cactus can't really shoot spines, can they? And maybe ole SHAMELESS was fetching tarp straps nekid like he supposedly does everything else, and that was why all the accidents were caused. People were covering their eyes when they were driving. Darrel
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 8:35pm

""" People were covering their eyes when they were driving.""""

Yep,,,you got that right Darrel,,,I just wasn't gonna "expose" his shenanigans,,,,you should have seen then three old biddies in thet Mercedes just a'giggling and getting all worked up bout seein him runnin all over the highway,,,,,,in his Birthday suit,,, but,,,,but,,,,you couldn't see anything,,,he got so much ha'r,,,,down thar,,,,,
Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 11:13pm
Joe,

Was this the one you were looking for the continue of the D 14 rebuild?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 6:36pm

Right ON Richard,,!!
Well, I been putting in some time on the D14 Industrial and did get the new engine running great. Starts up like it supposed to.( Thanks to Dick L,,)!! Got some brackets made to mount an alternator. Cleaned up and re-mounted the air Intake oil bath system. Been cleaning up the gauges and managed to free up the ammeter gauge and the tachometer and they both seem to work great,, Got the radiator cleaned out, reverse flushed and lots of dirt blown out,,,dang no wonder thet thing was so heavy,,,!!!One of the pics I an posting is a 1/4" rod bout 37" long that was laying loose under the gas tank,,,was not hooked up to anything so maybe somebody can recognize it for me.
Somebody, a few says ago, was askin bout the oil cooler lines for the shuttle clutch goin to a separate cooler,,,I guess this one being an Industrial has the oil cooler built into the radiator

Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 7:09pm
It is the choke rod for the Carb.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:00pm

Hey Richard,,that's what I thought it might be too but it doesn't seem long enough,,,,,,I held the bent end by carb choke butterfly and the little plastic knob is bout 8" shy reachin the instrument quadrant. don't see where it might have been supported either,,,,???
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:08pm
Joe that is about the right place for the rod to end based on the one that was on my d17.   The instrument panel on the d17 has a support brace that hangs down there sort of like a triangle shaped opening behind the instrument panel and there was a little u shipped hanger there that held the choke cable you had to reach around the instrument panel to pull the choke rod.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:26pm

Thanks Dan,,,I'll give her another look-see in the morning,,,I bet I find a place for it,,tho
BUT,,,you oughta know me by now,,,,I can' leave things alone and not too hard to make some hangers and lengthen the rod where it is right by the quadrant,,,,maybe in it,,,!!!

Edited by desertjoe - 16 Feb 2016 at 9:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic