Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=110381
Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 9:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rebuilding the D14 backhoe/loader
Posted By: desertjoe
Subject: Rebuilding the D14 backhoe/loader
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 9:38pm

This may be a bit premature, but since I have started to get things together for the D14 Backhoe/Loader while waiting for parts or what ever on the D15 II.
I cobbed on to a good deal on an engine for the D14 which the Allis Express moved it halfway across the country to my home. YEA,,!!! Not being able to leave things alone for very long, I went ahead and opened it up for a look see. #1 and #4 looked great but #2 and #3 had some rust in the liners. Cleaned everything up and the rings look great and mike out from .007 to .008 end gap, so I may go with those rings. What kinda got my attention are the pistons. These are not like the piston/liner set I bought for the other engine several months ago, which have the dished top.
These pistons have a dome and the OD is 3.530 and definitely bigger than the other set I have. The block is stamped as a 149**** so,,,????
Can anybody identify them for me,??

Replies:
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 9:49pm

OOOPS,,, pic did a Shameless and didn't load,,,tryin again,,,
pistons have GE380 on the pin boss and Confor-matic.
Piston OD. is 3.530

Posted By: norm[ind]
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 7:43pm
   some one has already been in this engine going what you have said--senn that brand used in WD,S ALSO HARD TOO FIND MORE

Posted By: SHAMELESS
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 9:59pm
how's come you always find the rare stuff Joe?

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 6:10am

how's come you always find the rare stuff Joe?

You know,,,Shameless,,,I've been blessed in my association with the Allis Chalmers brand,,,first in locating the D14 Backhoe/Loader, which I'm told is an industrial model,,, then, locating the D15 LPG II, (which was a heck of a find),,,,then finding this rebuilder engine in good shape with what I'm told has the overbore, higher compression pistons/liners,,,YEA,,,!!!
I was hopin some of the engine Guru's would chime in and tell me what this bore size equates to in cubic inches. Think I will measure the stroke and do some calculas and see if I can figure it out. At any rate, the increased power will be good for the tractor,,,!!

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 8:29am
Never seen a piston head like that in an A-C. A standard "149" engine is 3 1/2" sleeve bore by 3 7/8" stroke. The series 2 "160" engine is 3 5/8" sleeve bore by 3 7/8" stroke. I assume yours is 3 9/16" sleeve bore by 3 7/8" stroke, making it a 154 cubic inch engine.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 8:53am

Hey Dr. Allis,,,thanks for that info. 154,,Huh,,,? That's good,, that's good,,,,!! I'm going to go with these rings as the end gaps are within the Mfgrs. range. The 8 valves all held diesel from above but am gonna break em down and lap em a little just to be sure and re-assemble it and put a spark in it soon's I get a carb for it. Thanks for your help,,,

Posted By: Dick L
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:03am
I thought higher compression pistons only had shallower craters but not domed. Domes are directly under the valves which is an interesting concept that I kinda like the idea of. That set the cogs spinning out of control. My engine funds does not support those kinda pictures dontchyaknow.    

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:53pm

Mr. Dick Lemmon,,,where you been,,,I hadn't heard from you in the longest,,,,I been kinda perplexed with this piston design myself, cause the domes ARE under the valves,,,and if the intent was to promote "squish" to bump the compression,,,? The engineer in me would'a wanted to design the domed part of the piston in the areas adjascent to the valves to take up the volume and thereby raise compression,,,,????    Maybe that's why I ain't a piston designer,,,,!!   
Thanks for your input,,,

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 5:17pm
Looks like a pretty stupid design with a flat cylinder head. Your cylinder head is flat, right ?? because a true G149 and G160 really are flat. Older 115-125's are not. Not sure about the G138.

Posted By: darrel in ND
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 5:20pm
Say there Joe, if you happen to find a D21 with hydraulic front wheel assist, snarf it up fast. If it turns out that it came from the factory that way, it would be a one of a kind find. My intuition tells me that you may be just lucky enough to find that highly elusive treasure. Darrel

Posted By: sandman2234
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 5:21pm
I am no enngine builder but I stood next to one while he fixed one in a Dodge that somebody had changed pistons and not enough valve to piston clearance. Only bent a few valves before it stopped the rotation during cranking.
Be careful, might be a reason that motor wasn't running...
David from jax

-------------
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 8:45pm
Funny how that piston has the word FRONT engraved on it. That would be right or left, not front.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Funny how that piston has the word FRONT engraved on it. That would be right or left, not front.

that must be for use with one of those unintended 90º twisted rods.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 9:25pm
I typed up one of those thirteen paragraph type posts to desertjoe and when I hit send it said I was not allowed to or something to that affect in red. When I backed up it was gone. to late to try to remember what all I typed.

My short term memory is terrible!

Then again my short term memory aint all that good either.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 10:24pm

Hey Dick L,,,that has happened to me as well on some of them long winded posts that I'm always getting accused of, If you take too long to finish typing, you will get a red screen when you hit "send" with some wording that you don't have permission or something like that,,,don't know why that would matter but it does,,,,
My information was that The engine HAD been running with these pistons,,,and I AM going to check the piston to valve clearances before I lash it up.
Re-type that message,Dick,,I'm interested in what you had to say,,,,!!!

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 10:29pm

Hey Darrel,,,I hauled butt to the 7-11 and bought a slew of lottery tickets when I read your post,,,cause,,,,cause ,,,I "felt it,,!!"
And if I win one of the lottery games,,,,,,,Wooooo----Eeeeee look out Boys,,,,,,,here he comes,,,,,!!!

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:06pm
I have a couple of them lottery tickets too, but not really feeling it quite like you are, Joe! I've always told my wife, though, that if I ever do win the lottery, I'm not changing my lifestyle. ......too much. Only way anyone will even suspect that I've won, is by the steady line of semi's hauling orange tractors up my driveway. Darrel

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:12pm
if I won...i'd have one of my pickups re-done!

Posted By: Dan73
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 3:03am
Originally posted by SHAMELESS SHAMELESS wrote:

if I won...i'd have one of my pickups re-done!

Re done into what? That should be one nice truck with all the winnings in it. You won't dare use it...
Wow the list of things I could fix here are almost endless. I would start with insulation and a new heating system in the 115 year old farm house. Maybe windows too. I really miss the gasification wood boiler I had before moving back to the farm.
Oh and the tractors yes there would be a nice diesel d17 serries 4 or a d19 here to help with the haying.   And a full overhaul on all my tractors I only have 5 plus the 4 ingersoll lawn mowers so that shouldn't be too obvious to people...

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 7:43am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Dick L,,,that has happened to me as well on some of them long winded posts that I'm always getting accused of, If you take too long to finish typing, you will get a red screen when you hit "send" with some wording that you don't have permission or something like that,,,don't know why that would matter but it does,,,,
My information was that The engine HAD been running with these pistons,,,and I AM going to check the piston to valve clearances before I lash it up.
Re-type that message,Dick,,I'm interested in what you had to say,,,,!!!

Ya, that's it. Dixie called me to supper directly after I started it. I lied about all the paragraphs by ten. I start thinking about something else after three paragraphs.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 8:42am

"" I start thinking about something else after three paragraphs.""

Yeah,,,ten four for sure,,,,I think we not the on'liest ones with that problem,,tho,,, Can't figure out why us old timers got to be saddled with that roadblock,,tho,,,,

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 9:06am

WELL,,,I'm STILL here,,,,so,,,,you know what that means,,,,,

But,,,,but,,,You may never win,,,,But I do guarantee,,you will NEVER win if you don't play,,,,

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 11:03am
well I do know a place i'd buy...it has an underground 14 car garage that would hold lots of AC's! and a pond to fish in! and a yard big nuff to keep the old lady....oooops.....I mean the loving wife...outta my hair!

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 1:20pm

WELL,,,I'm STILL here,,,,so,,,,you know what that means,,,,,

But,,,,but,,,You may never win,,,,But I do guarantee,,you will NEVER win if you don't play,,,,

I didn't fair so well either. Did win 18 bucks, though, but that don't buy much orange stuff. Darrel

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 1:22pm
I didn't see a run in the classified section so I am guessing non of us won. Of course I am in the category of needing to buy the tickets first....

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 8:53pm

"" Did win 18 bucks, though""

Darrel,,,you da man,,,!!! I tell you what I'm gonna do,,,,I'm gonna nominate you to be our official ticket buyer,,,,
Put me down for 20 tickets on the next Powerball drawing (Wednesday)
Also 25 tickets on the next Dakota Cash Drawing
And then,,,,,well,,, that oughta be enuff for this month,,,,,
mail em to my home address and I'll send you a check when I get my next Social Security check,,,,,, ten four,,,???
Better get youse a tablet and plenty of pencils cause them other boys are fixin to get on this bandwagon,,,,,

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 5:27am

"" Looks like a pretty stupid design ""
       OUCH,,,,,!!

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 5:29am

Gosh,,Shameless,,, all of that underground,,,?? WOW,,that'a be a huge hole in the ground,,,,!!

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 10:12am
That bunker sounds a lot cozier than a tarp under a disc in the rain. 

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 10:19am
I be thinking Shameless doesn't want to worry about anyone finding his tractors on Google Earth.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 11:18am

OOOPS,,, pic did a Shameless and didn't load,,,tryin again,,,
pistons have GE380 on the pin boss and Confor-matic.
Piston OD. is 3.530

Joe here is what (might) have been in the mind of the person that designed the piston if it was for this engine, which I doubt. Not my thoughts personally.
This design puts the firing chamber around the outside of the cylinder rather than in the center.

When the piston is on the way down it creates a vacuum drawing the fuel mixture in. The fuel mixture flows in thru the valve seat 360º to the outside of the cylinder wall evenly without restrictions. After ignition with the piston on its way up and the exhaust valve open the exhaust is pushed out evenly with less restrictions. This would allow more air to pass through the engine for more HP.

This goes against the theory I have been taught that the crater firing chamber creates a swirl of the fuel mixture to give the most complete ignition. The firing chambers normally are crater whether it is in the head or piston.

This piston design would create a swirl as the mixture bounces off the cylinder wall. I am not sure if it would be equal to the crater swirl for ignition. My thoughts are it wouldn't but without test results I will keep an open mind.

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 10:37pm

Hey DickL,,I did a little cruising on the web but only found the following.. The Pistons were made by Comformatic Piston Co for the Pow'r Seal Engine Kits of days gone by. They were built along the lines of the M&W Turbo Dome pistons. Couldn't find any more specifics,,but it is what it is,,as far as I'm concerned. I mike'd the piston to valve clearance and no interference issues there. Charging ON,,I say,,,,!!! Thanks for your help,,,

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 4:10am
"that bunker" has a log guest house sittin on top of it, and a main log home off to the side...the machine shed is hidden out in the trees aways. whew! what a place that is!

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 8:46am

OK,,,,,,and how many of your " money in the ground" holes are you gonna have to dig up to pay for this monsterous palace in the ground,,,,??

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 12:25am

OK,,149 engine Gurus,,,,,,
Pulled a shameless here,and no pics,,but refaced the valves, lapped em in and re-installed all in the cylinder head. Lookin good so far,,,!!
   Waiting on some issues on the Series II so been workin on the 149 for the D14 and come up on something puzzling. Went to replace the gasket on the front cover and decided to replace the front seal as well. The book I have says to use a "special Allis Tool" to center the seal on the crankshaft before installing the cover,,,,??? doesn't make sense to me,,,,???? Looks to me, that the seal is driven on the cover, then set the cover OVER the crankshaft and bolt it down,,,,,? Am I missing something here,,,???? Thanks for any help,,,,

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 12:33am
I ain't gots enough "loaded" holes Joe....they wants $3.2 million for it! the driveway is about a little over a 1/2 mile long and is done in all paver bricks! along with the electric remote controlled gated entry! I might hafta sell a few more pickups or suburbans!

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 7:04am

OK,,149 engine Gurus,,,,,,
Pulled a shameless here,and no pics,,but refaced the valves, lapped em in and re-installed all in the cylinder head. Lookin good so far,,,!!
   Waiting on some issues on the Series II so been workin on the 149 for the D14 and come up on something puzzling. Went to replace the gasket on the front cover and decided to replace the front seal as well. The book I have says to use a "special Allis Tool" to center the seal on the crankshaft before installing the cover,,,,??? doesn't make sense to me,,,,???? Looks to me, that the seal is driven on the cover, then set the cover OVER the crankshaft and bolt it down,,,,,? Am I missing something here,,,???? Thanks for any help,,,,

I have lost a front seal or two by not checking center well when replacing the flat front timing gear covers. All because of a lack of carful attention. With the special tool you can leave the bifocals in your pocket. After loosing a seal or two a person learns to check closely when not having a centering tool. Hopefully they do not need replaced often enough to require locating dowel pins.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 9:20am

Mr. Lemmon,,,once again,,Thanks for putting with my questions,,,but I'm learning from these.
    I forgot to mention on the cylinder head assembly, tell me what you think,,,? I always install the old style Rambler "cup" seals or "umbrella" seals as they call em now, on the intake valves. This helps control the intake valve sucking oil down into the combustion chamber. The valve guides on this head were nice and snug but what's to hurt with the cup seals,,huh,,?? Granted they are not a "positive seal" such as the pressed on valve seals available for worn valve guides,,, but,,???
On the front seal,,,if you drive the new seal onto the cover,,,THEN very CAREFULLY center the cover over the crankshaft snout,,,, and then lash down the cover bolts,,,you should be good to go,,,HUH,,?? It's odd the AC engineers didn't design locating dowell pins at the bottom of cover,,cause there are two locating pins at the governor opening,,,??

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 12:08pm

Mr. Lemmon,,,once again,,Thanks for putting with my questions,,,but I'm learning from these.
    I forgot to mention on the cylinder head assembly, tell me what you think,,,? I always install the old style Rambler "cup" seals or "umbrella" seals as they call em now, on the intake valves. This helps control the intake valve sucking oil down into the combustion chamber. The valve guides on this head were nice and snug but what's to hurt with the cup seals,,huh,,?? Granted they are not a "positive seal" such as the pressed on valve seals available for worn valve guides,,, but,,???
On the front seal,,,if you drive the new seal onto the cover,,,THEN very CAREFULLY center the cover over the crankshaft snout,,,, and then lash down the cover bolts,,,you should be good to go,,,HUH,,?? It's odd the AC engineers didn't design locating dowell pins at the bottom of cover,,cause there are two locating pins at the governor opening,,,??

Any of these types of heads that had the valve stem seals over the valve guides had more wear than any I have taken apart without seals. They were not used when new and will most likely last longer than you with or without seals My guess is that they are necessary with higher temperature thermostats. Not so much at the lower temperatures.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 4:33pm

Well,,,Guess what,,,,? IT'S ready to go in,,,,, the 149 er,,,156 is ready to go in the D14 and get lashed up,,!! wound up it being a pretty good engine,,just needed a little TLC and a fistfill of dollars,,, Ground the valves as per the manual. Did find one of the rocker arm stands was cracked in the vertical all the way thru and one push rod was bent. (Lookin for these two items now) The oil pump had been leakin for some time and was a mess back there. Took the pump out and found a bad gasket but am glad I pulled the pump. There was excessive clearance (.025) between the rotor and the back plate,,! The book calls for .002. I was not able to chuck the plate in my lathe to take a cut on it. Pulled the pump off the original D14 engine and rotor clearance miked out at,,,,,,.002,,,Heavens to Betsy,,,!!!! Got some of Shameless's "Rattle Cans" and did the trick on the engine,,,Looks pretty good. Having to fix a flat on the dolly and will wheel it around to " Put it in"
I need some suggestions from the group.
I have a big "A frame" type engine puller made out of 2" pipe and want to install some wheels on it to be able to move it back and forth when you have a load on the chain hoist. I have 4 8" pneumatic tires that I think would work good as far as being able to roll around if I can figure a way to install em on the A Frame,,,,,
Any ideas,,,???    THANKS

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 5:08pm
These wheels you have. .....do they have any mounting hardware with em, like swivels, or forks, or anything like that? If'n they don't, then I'd just buy some heavy duty rubber coated steel wheels with swivels on at least two of em, and weld them on.
Looks like in that one picture, the series 2 LPG is got it's nose sticking out. Glad you haven't sold it. DARREL

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 9:50pm

Well Darrel,,,I'd have to go pull a Shameless and dig up another coffee can of dollar bills is why I wanted to use what I have here. Plus them being Pneumatic will make it easier to roll on the dirt, where the D14 is now,,,,cause,,,,cause,,,, there is NO WAY the Chairman is going to stand for me moving another of our cars out from under the carport just to put "another one of your dang tractors under there". You see,,,I had to move her favorite Toyota Sequoia out to get the D15 under there,,,,so,,,moving the other car out ain't gonna fly too swift,,,,,
Anyway, I was thinkin makin some "U" shaped frames out of some 3/8" X 3" strap I have, with a removable 5/8" axle and a 1" or so piece of cold roll to go up into the 2" A Frame leg and still swivel,,,,,,,????
make sense,,??

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 9:56pm
Them dollars buried in coffee cans are just going to rot away anyhow. Dig em up and spend em before the coffee cans get a hole rusted clean through em and the earth worms turn them dollars into fertilizer. But otherwise, your plan makes good sense. Darrel

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 10:04pm
they sell new car ports for $675. erected! whew!

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 3:29am

And,,,,and,,,pray tell,,,how is a new $675 carport gonna help move the A Frame, with a 1 1/2 ton chain hoist hanging off it and a 423# AC engine suspended on it,,,,,????

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 4:34am
because you kin puts the new car port outs back fer yer old ladys....oooops....I mean yer loving wifes car, then you gots the other one to works in! PffffT! do I gots to show you everthang?

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 4:37am
shucks...you can use one of them tall cactus's for the top beam of yer "A" frame, them things is tough!

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:59pm

Well,,,,now that you mention it,,,I could use that big mesquite and hang 'ta other end of the pipe,,on it huh,???? but I don't like workin round them cactus's too much cause they all got shootin spines,,,,!!! you just gotta walk within a coupl'a feet of em and they shoot them spines at you,,,,and,,,,and,,,them spines got a poisom on the tips that burns awful,,,!!!

how you know I got cactus's anyhow,,,???

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 11:51pm
shucks...they grow like weeds down in your parts of the country! sides...I've been thru NM lots of times! if'n ya ever needs any rubber tarp straps, just go out on the interstate, there must be 200 per mile on the side of the road!

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 11:52pm
we tried to move one of them cactus's once with the ferd dually, came home with a bent bumper!

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 6:42am

Well,,,I'll just be danged,,,,,was that you I seen that time runnin along the freeway pickin up all them bungie straps,,,???
You prolly didn'tknow it but you almost caused several accidents,,,,,,people swerving when you run out on the freeway to get one,,,,

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 8:26am
Joe, them cactus can't really shoot spines, can they? And maybe ole SHAMELESS was fetching tarp straps nekid like he supposedly does everything else, and that was why all the accidents were caused. People were covering their eyes when they were driving. Darrel

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 8:35pm

""" People were covering their eyes when they were driving.""""

Yep,,,you got that right Darrel,,,I just wasn't gonna "expose" his shenanigans,,,,you should have seen then three old biddies in thet Mercedes just a'giggling and getting all worked up bout seein him runnin all over the highway,,,,,,in his Birthday suit,,, but,,,,but,,,,you couldn't see anything,,,he got so much ha'r,,,,down thar,,,,,

Posted By: Richardmo
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 11:13pm
Joe,

Was this the one you were looking for the continue of the D 14 rebuild?

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 6:36pm

Right ON Richard,,!!
Well, I been putting in some time on the D14 Industrial and did get the new engine running great. Starts up like it supposed to.( Thanks to Dick L,,)!! Got some brackets made to mount an alternator. Cleaned up and re-mounted the air Intake oil bath system. Been cleaning up the gauges and managed to free up the ammeter gauge and the tachometer and they both seem to work great,, Got the radiator cleaned out, reverse flushed and lots of dirt blown out,,,dang no wonder thet thing was so heavy,,,!!!One of the pics I an posting is a 1/4" rod bout 37" long that was laying loose under the gas tank,,,was not hooked up to anything so maybe somebody can recognize it for me.
Somebody, a few says ago, was askin bout the oil cooler lines for the shuttle clutch goin to a separate cooler,,,I guess this one being an Industrial has the oil cooler built into the radiator

Posted By: Richardmo
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 7:09pm
It is the choke rod for the Carb.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:00pm

Hey Richard,,that's what I thought it might be too but it doesn't seem long enough,,,,,,I held the bent end by carb choke butterfly and the little plastic knob is bout 8" shy reachin the instrument quadrant. don't see where it might have been supported either,,,,???

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:08pm
Joe that is about the right place for the rod to end based on the one that was on my d17.   The instrument panel on the d17 has a support brace that hangs down there sort of like a triangle shaped opening behind the instrument panel and there was a little u shipped hanger there that held the choke cable you had to reach around the instrument panel to pull the choke rod.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:26pm

Thanks Dan,,,I'll give her another look-see in the morning,,,I bet I find a place for it,,tho
BUT,,,you oughta know me by now,,,,I can' leave things alone and not too hard to make some hangers and lengthen the rod where it is right by the quadrant,,,,maybe in it,,,!!!

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 10:06am
On my D-17 Series I, that rod goes from the choke shaft to a slot in the side shield near your left foot.  I don't have any pics of it.  It doesn't come close to the instrument panel.  Maybe somebody on here has a pic?  I'll look and see what I can find.

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 10:14am
Here ya go......

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82903&title=new-to-me-d14-pics-motor-question" rel="nofollow - http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82903&title=new-to-me-d14-pics-motor-question

In this thread, DSeries4 has a pic of the side shield.  Above the hydraulic line next to the D14 decal to the right is the choke knob.  Hope this helps Joe.

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 5:09pm

OK ,,Ted,,,i see it in the pic,,, this tractor didn't have the side covers when I got it and don't think,,at this point,,that I'll make some for it, so I'll have to fashion some small bolt on brackets for the rod. Thanks for your takin time to look into this for me,,,,,
Dismounted the old wore out front caissons, and cleaned up and primered the front wheels. These look to have been all orange inside and outside,,,,Right,,,????

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:33pm
ohhhhhhh....an incomplete tractor for sale??? whew! (poke,poke,poke)

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:59pm
Shameless by that scale i don't think i have ever driven a complete tractor. .....

On edit Joe I fixed it so it reads on that scale not sale.... lol

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:30pm

HUH,,,,?????? lookin like you gonna have to lead me by the hand,,,,one more time,,,,,,

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 12:12am
hehehehehe...gimme yer hand....i'll lead you!

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 10:15am

OK,,,got another one for the D14 Guru's,,,I cleaned up and painted the front wheels on the D14 yesterday and something's got me buggered. It seems the valve stem hole is on the WRONG side of the wheels,,,??? The "smooth" side of the wheels is opposite of the valve stem hole,,,,!!!! OR,,,,do the wheels mount on the tractor with the valve stem to the INSIDE,,,,???

Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 10:50am
DJ

It's still too cold for me to vist the 'boys' BUT the wheels go on either way depending on the 'width' or 'track' or 'spread' you want to run the tractor on. That depends on crop spacing. I think there's 2" offset, so 4" overall. So you've got a 50-50 chance of the valve stems being outside as opposed to inside....

Jay

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: 1953CA
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 11:39am
The choke rod comes out on the left side panel under gas tank, as your sitting in the seat

-------------
1945 AllisCletrac / 1948 "B" / 1953 "CA" / 1955 "WD-45" / 1963 "D-15 Series II"           

"No Air Support without Ground Support"

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 5:34pm

Hey Jay,,,yeah, I had checked the back spacing,,,just seems that the "smooth" side would be on the side the valve hole is,,but no matter,,,I'm gonna put the smooth, pretty side to the outside,,,,,
Hey 1953,,,thanks for that info, Guy,,,,,I appreciate your time and efforts,,,

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 10:49pm

Well,,,we reached a big milestone with the D14 Industrial today,,,,,,It moved under it's OWN POWER today,,,,!!!!!!it hadn't moved in 20 something years,,,maybe 30,,,and it moved out pretty as you please,,,,!! Sure am glad I let ole Rick talk me into getting the right clutch disc ( like in lots more expensive),,,THANKS Rick,,,!!! The shuttle clutch worked so smooth in forward and reverse just as slick as owl chit,,,!!!! The push button on the handle kept hanging up,,,so we'll check out it's problems tomorrow...
I thought I was chitin in tall cotton,,,until the engine started to bog down and finally quit,,,,I could smell gas so I pulled the inlet hose from air filter to carb and lots of gasolins ran out,,,Gosh dang chit chicken chit son of a buck,,,!!!! If Mr shebler was close by,,I'd let him know where he could ram this POS carb up into,!!!
what's a man to do,,,???? and I was feelin SO GOOD,,!!!!!

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:18am
and I see.....(gasp)...something green in that pic! I gots a tear running down my cheek....I feel...so...

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 5:06am

DANG YOU Shameless,,,,,,,!!!! It's so hard to NOT like you cause of your unmatched compassion for your fellow man,,,,, your unabashed concern for peoples is beyond words for mortal men,,,,,,gosh,,,I'm beginning to believe this chit,,and,,,,and,,,mayhaps even feelin some compassion myself,,,,,

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 5:09am

I gots a tear running down my cheek""
   whimper,,,,snif,,,snif,,,whimper,,,,was you feelin bad for that POS carb,,,,,or ole Joe,,,,,??? makes a difference,,,Ya know,,,,,,

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:14pm
Glad to hear of success with the project. Is this one going to be done up as purdy as that D15 LP turned out? That'd be a tough act to follow, but I know you the man to get er done. I hope I can get that feeling of accomplishment with my Allis HD5G track loader some time in the near future. Good luck with it man, and keep pictures coming. Darrel

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 6:30pm

Hey Thanks Darrel,,,,,I'm thinkin you're right in that this one is goin to be more of a "work tractor,,,but I AM goin to paint it up to copy one in a video of an industrial backhoe/loader I saw a long time ago,,I think on Youtube and it was all orange too,,, if I remember right the Guy said his had a "Shawnee" loader, where this one has the Allis hoe and loader,,
Ya know,,,I just can't leave things alone, cause I like for them to look nice as well as run and work well. Fact is,,,a contractor friend of mine is supposed to come over Tuesday morning and brush blast and primer the backhoe and loader for me,,,so things are movin along.
I'm STILL having issues with the dang carb flooding tho,,, so I took it off AGAIN Grrrrr,,!!!! but I did find something odd,,,, the dang floats had collapsed inwards,,,,????Now,,what the hades caused that,,??? I had another carb off the B engine and is the same float,,but it was collapsed the same way,,,!!!!?????? what the hades????? Put em both in some gas and they WILL float,,,, but barely,,,?????
Fixin to call Rick see if he got one,,puzzling,,,for sure

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:07am

"" the dang floats had collapsed inwards,,,,????""
Anybody got an idee on what caused the floats to do this? I got new one coming from Steiner but wanna know why so don't happen with new float,,,????
   These two floats I got WILL float but barely,,, could a guy heat em up and maybe they expand back out,,,,,thought blowin em up,,,?????

Posted By: structures
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 6:05am
My floats on the 15 carb were collapsed in.  And the sidewall of the bowl busted out.  I always thought it was rain water filling the bowl and freezing.

-------------
Robert
http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82702&KW=structures&title=structures-1964-allis-d15-series-ii" rel="nofollow - 1964 D15 Series II

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 6:11am

Hey Robert,,Good to hear from you, Guy,,, Well,,that sure might explain the why and I can't figure I didn't notice they were collapsed in like that since I had that dang thing apart so many times. I got a new one coming so, maybe that will cure the flooding.
Are you bout ready to put a spark in your engine,,,,???? I know you getting close,,,

Posted By: structures
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 6:28am
Yeah.. I haven't had a chance to post a little short video I shot where I fired it up for second!

-------------
Robert
http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82702&KW=structures&title=structures-1964-allis-d15-series-ii" rel="nofollow - 1964 D15 Series II

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 2:44pm

OK,,,I got 'nother one on the D14,,,,Yesterday before the carb went to floodin so bad,,,I tried the steering and I had to use BOTH hands to turn it,,,after so many tries back and forth,,,it got a little easier to the right but still takes two hands, and can't hardly turn it to the left,,,!!! Now,,bear in mind this tractor sat for several years,and still had bout half of the fluid in reservoir and looked like ATF.
Any suggestions from the group,,???

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:01pm
Blow up the front tires.... There is a chance you got a couple of the lines crossed to the control valve.   I remember reading about that a while back. I would be more concerned that it is a problem with the pump though sounds alot like when I run out of oil in my d15. Not sure if there is a good place to test the pressure in that setup but you need to figure out if the lines to the control valve are correct and then if the pump is working.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:02pm
Oh atf or hydraulic oil both work fine for power steering.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:51pm

Thanks for chiming in Dan,,,The only line I took off was the big suction line from the reservoir, and the other lines were left intact when I removed the whols assy and I sealed up the two openings. It looks to be a BFJ to get the pump off and was hopin for an easier fix or borry'in somebody's magic wand,,,,
You can't even get to the adjustment screw, to see if relief valve is stuck open,,unless I torch cut a chunk out of the right hand main side support,,,,,what to do,,,,what to do,,,????

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:19pm
Joe I know it is really tight around that pump but is there somewhere you could get a line off the output of the pump and t in a pressure gauge? You need to think of the system as two parts the pump and the control valve one has issues the easiest think to test for at is the pump if you can get a pressure gauge on it. I was also just wondering if there could be a blockage to the supply line to the pump. Don't know if there is a strainer in there or not just a thought maybe pull the supply line and see if the oil runs out fast? I really hope it isn't the pump they are really expensive.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:38pm

Well,,,I didn't do CHIT to anything today,,,,it been colder than Blair for the last 3 days it was 31 this morn and I think the high was all the way up to 38,,,,, BUT,,,BUT,,,it gonna be in the hi 60's tomorrow,,,,,!!!
In between the drizzles, I run out to the D14 and took a quick look to see how big a job it gonna be to remove the pump,,,and Like I said,,,it goin to be a BFJ,,,!!!! Much as I HATE to consider it,,,,prolly faster to remove the whole PS reservoir to get to the pump,,,,CHIT ,,CHIT,,,CHIT,,,,

Posted By: DSeries4
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 10:48pm
Joe, how does the tractor steer with the engine shut off?  Have you checked to see that the spindles move freely from left to right (jack up the front end).  Start with that.  Might just need a bunch of greasing if it hasn't moved in decades.  Chances are your pump is struggling trying to steer a seized axle.
The reservoir is in the front casting, so no need to remove that.  The pump is only held with 2 bolts below the distributor.  Not bad once you remove the lines.

-------------
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 11:05pm
I like the idea of testing it with the front wheels in the air. Best part is you have that built in hydraulic lift.... have to love the loader when you need to do anything to the front wheels.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 11:45pm

Hey Myron,,,When I had the front end dis-assembled, the spindles were free and turned very easily,,, The left wheel bearing was some tight,,but turned loose when I started the engine and moved the tractor back and forth to test the shuttle clutch. You can't hardle turn the steering wheel with the engine off,,,so it must be pumpin some fluid,when engine is running,but very dang little,,! I could only see one of the bolts holding the pump to front of block,,,,?????
Here is something,,,If I disconnect both tie rods from the center steering arm,,should I be able to move it back and forth by hand,,or will it require lots of prying,,,??? Reason I ask is when I was trying to line up the tie rods to the center arm,,I had to move the arm to get it in "center" and it was very HARD to move to line it up on center,,,????

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 12:59am
I can see some paint chipping coming up!

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 5:42am

"" I can see some paint chipping coming up!"" yeah,,,and I'm a'feared I'm goin to get lots of opportunities to practice my French on this one,,,,,,LOL
Think I'll do like ole Myron says and try to pull the pump first cause I don't hear any noises like the pump cavitating from a plugged suction line or noisy like a relief valve stuck closed,,,fact is,,the pump don't make any noises and THAT worries me more,,,!!!!
The weather is supposed to be nice today, like in the low 60s,,so maybe ole Shameless is finally getting tired of pesterin me this year

Posted By: DSeries4
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 12:26pm

Hey Myron,,,When I had the front end dis-assembled, the spindles were free and turned very easily,,, The left wheel bearing was some tight,,but turned loose when I started the engine and moved the tractor back and forth to test the shuttle clutch. You can't hardle turn the steering wheel with the engine off,,,so it must be pumpin some fluid,when engine is running,but very dang little,,! I could only see one of the bolts holding the pump to front of block,,,,?????
Here is something,,,If I disconnect both tie rods from the center steering arm,,should I be able to move it back and forth by hand,,or will it require lots of prying,,,??? Reason I ask is when I was trying to line up the tie rods to the center arm,,I had to move the arm to get it in "center" and it was very HARD to move to line it up on center,,,????

If the center plate was hard to move, I suspect you have an issue in the mechanical linkage rather than the power assisted portion.  With no tie rods attached, that center plate should move easy as pie with (or without) the engine on.  If it doesn't, your problem is in that front casting somewhere.  Do not pulll the pump first.

-------------
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 3:46pm

Today must be gonna be my lucky day,,,,!!!! I went out and looked at the pump,,,shook my head and went back inside and had another cup of coffee, decided ole Shameless wasn't gonna show up and help me so went and took another look see,,,,,threw a few French words around and decided to take my buddy up on his offer to a cup of coffee at burger King. After killin all the time I could,,,,decided to go home and tackle that sob,,,, Stopped to get my Lottery tickets (Wednesday) and won $10 on a scratcher,,,!!! whistled all the way home,,,,LOL.
   I started engine and just for the heck of it tried to turn the wheel,,,,imagine my surprise,,it turned fairly easy but pump is now makin a noise like it low on fluid. topped the reservoir off and tried it again and it was fairly easy but had three places where it would try to hang up,,,straight forward and bout 45° to left and right. I worked the wheel in those places back and forth and seemed to get some better but still kinda hanging up in those three places. If I remember right from the Series II, there are three gear to gear meshes inside that may have some rust places of ,,,????? Think I'll just keep working it back and forth and cross my fingers,,,unless somebody had some kind words of wisdom,,,

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 8:58pm

Well,,,my luck didn't hold out as the D14 steering still has the 3 places where it is hard to turn past them. The Sandblaster is supposed to show up Tues am to blast and prime the backhoe and loader,,so I decided to take the whole kit and caboodle apart as there is something not right inside. What a BFJ,,,!!!!finally got it all apart and spread out on my little flat trailer. Dang,,,what a mess,,,there was bout 1/4" of rust lookin sludge in the btm of casting and the idler gear and the Ram rack were where the build up was and causing the binding,,,!! Everything else was pretty clean but these two pieces. The bearing and race on the steering gear was tight so I'll replace it plus the seals and o rings. Put the gears to my wire buffer and they all cleaned up nice without any pitting on the teeth. A full days job to get to here and prolly another one to re-assemble,,,but I'm bettin this power steering will be like brand new,,,!!!!

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 9:16pm
well, Joe, it seems like you've got this ole tractor fixin right down to a science. Ain't nuthin on em that you can't get the upper hand on, is there. Keep up the good work! Darrel

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 9:45pm
just jack up the front of the tire, take the steering lines off, puts yer lips around the ports and blow real hard, the look to see which way the wheels turned, then you can puts the lines back on correctly! whew!

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 9:51pm

Hey Thanks Darrel,,for the vote of confidence,,,ya made my day,,after fightin this big heavy piece of pig iron,,,, I been shade-tree'in for the longest time,,,I think since the 5th grade,,, My Daddy was a great shade tree Mechanic so I had a good teacher,,,,,
Don't know if you saw this,,My Grand Daughter gave me this,,and I think it is kinda cute,,,,,,

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 9:56pm

Gosh,,,Shameless,,,,your quick thinkin just never ceases to amaze me,,,,and,,,,and your wisdom just has NO Boundries,,,, that's for sure,,,!!!!
Do you gots a book you getting these "words of wisdom" out of or,,,,,???? is it just your lightening quick fingers,,,,,,,

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 10:46pm
I thought it was just that someone was full of hot air....

Joe good work on the steering.   Taking them apart isn't much fun I have to take my d15 apart and fix the leaking control valve not looking forward to it. Keep up the good work you will have this one looking as good as the d15 you have for sale before you know it.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net