This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poison Ivy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:19am
I kill it poison oak here with round up and I mix in some cheap detergent it breaks down the oil on th plant and gets the round up into the plant faster. You got to keep at the stuff quite often it takes several applications of it.
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:30pm
I'll give it a try when I get some time. Thx
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 9:26pm
Got a bad batch this round. Last Sunday after church I went up to the road and dug a hole for a new mail box. Actually that was Saturday. Sunday I took my chain saw up and cut the post to length. I cut about 3 feet off the post. The cutoff fell and got me in the shoulder then hit the ground and slid down in the ditch. I crawled down in the ditch to retrieve the cutoff. I had to crawl back up as it very steep. I got it all over my stomachs and chest and right leg. It’s bad behind my knee. I’ve tried technical cream and spray, cortisone cream vinegar and some stuff she got at the pharmacy called zanfel and it seems to be working. It’s been hot and humid here so it spread all week while I was at work. I’ve had to lay low and do inside projects this weekend. I wouldn’t wish this crap on anyone.
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:11am
Go to the doctor get a cortisone shot the steroid will dry it up. Also get some tea bags wet then and dab it on the bad areas. The reason it itches is your body puts out tonic acid to combat it the tea has tannic acid in it
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:30am

This reminds me of my only'ist time with thet stuff, since I guess it don't grow in this part of the country. My first assigned job as supervisor was  to do a demolition project at a refinery in Potwin, Kansas. The friggin weeds was way over our heads and bein desert boys,we just walked em down around the towers and would take our breaks by layin in the shade RIGHT on them weeds, after that second or third day,,, 3 of the four of us had the dangest case of the itches and scratchies we had ever had, and I finally took the whole crew to a Dr cause we all had red welts all over,,,!! Since three of us had been "partyin" pretty hard,,we thought it may be something else,,,?? The Dr laughed and said,,"You boys got poison Ivy,,,AND a bad case of  CHIGGERS,,,chit I had never even heard of chiggers!!!,,,but sure was glad it wasn't thet other thing I was worried bout. They gave us all a shot and some creams to use and sent us on the way,,,with a stern warnin to NOT lay down in the weeds of Kansas,,,,LOLLOL
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:10am
Don't lay down anywhere outside in Kansas unless you have slathered yourself down in bug spray. Been in a few peoples houses you needed to do that too.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:13am
Yep chiggers are brutal! Dead
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 4:57pm
North west Arkansas is the chigger capitol of the world. They’re rough but nothing compared to this poison Ivy.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:02pm
Chiggers like to et me alive cutting some down tree pieces the other day, had even used GOOD bug Spray DEET. Horse flies would not land but the chiggers did.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:07pm
Chiggers are usually done here by this time of year. It’s humid wet and green here still. It’s usually dry and brown this time of year and mowing every other or every third week. We’re still mowing once a week and that barely keeps up.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:15pm
We'll get chiggers here, in a dry year.  Coupla years ago, I was bush hoggin a coupla acres, in July, just had hiker shoes on, man them lil sumbiches had me fer lunch.  Lost count at about a hunnert bites! ever since they, I keep the bottoms of some tyvek coveralls, in the toolbpx, on that tractor.  When I'm wearin them, I put them on, upside down, with the elastic above the calf, and they cover the joint where pants end and socks begin, so they can't get in...Wink

As for the itch of chiggers, ain't found much that helps...Cry

For PI, PO, or sumac, google jewel weed (native impatiens).  If it's in your area, it will be found in bottoms, likes sun, little orange flower, that will snap a seed pod at you, hence its other name, touch-me-not.

Take a goodly handful of the succulent stems, flowers, leaves and all, put in a 5 gallon bucket, with about 2-1/2 gallons of water in it, crush them stems up good, and cover with lid, let sit in sun for a coupla hours, strain and you have a liquid to spread on the itch...Thumbs Up

Edited by DiyDave - 19 Aug 2019 at 6:16pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

may also try Adolfs meat tenderizer, make into a paste and rub it on the spot, let dry and peel off
           Add a dash of salt and pepper and you might be on to something there.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:23pm
I don't get PI but I did hear you could rub the stalk to get the juice from a Touch Me Not weed on the area as a preventative.,,,,,,,,,,I mean yeah what DIY said now that I've read it.

Edited by Walker - 19 Aug 2019 at 6:29pm
bryani289swmi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryani289swmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:24pm
I’m extremely allergic to it, often have had it 8-10 times a year for 25 years and I’ve tried all the potions. When you have it predisone is the best but the doctor won’t prescribe it for me anymore, too hard on the liver. Anyways whenever I go out and think I may be exposed I wash with dish soap to cut the oil, you really need to scrub with washcloth. Then I wipe down with rubbing alcohol on another cloth. I still occasionally get it a couple times a year but not very bad. I’ve had my arms and face totally covered with 1” blisters and it’s miserable but if you get the oil off you are ok. Thanks.

Bryan
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollowpoints explode on impact.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:21pm
My cure of choice for chiggers and ticks is diesel, or grandmas lie soap if you can get it. We were logging a patch of timber one time that was absolutely working alive with ticks and chiggers, so every night I take a rag soaked in diesel and scrub all over with it. Then stand around for 10-15 minutes and shower it off. Didn't get another bite. Fact.    Leon
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:49pm
Grandpa always said for chiggers, rub whiskey and sand on them.  Doesn't get rid of em but sure is entertaining to watch em get drunk and throw rocks at each other.

Seriously, another use for the wife's fingernail polish, coat the top of the chigger bite generously with the fingernail polish, it supposedly cuts off their air supply and they die.  I've found it usually takes 2 to 3 days.  Be sure to re-apply if it starts to come off.

Edited by JW in MO - 19 Aug 2019 at 9:45pm
Maximum use of available resources!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:33pm
Fells Naptha laundry soap bar - wash with it and just luke warm water - DON'T SCRUB - just hand wash - in fact a couple times using fresh water each time . 
 Then shower down with regular soap and most times no problems , yep Cortisone cream will calm down any itching that might arise also taking a antihistamine like Benadryl or similar tablets . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:04am
Or you could buy a few drops of my reasonably priced blood and make yerselves an antidote.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:22am
Got Poison Ivy again this summer. Like a dummy I was weed wacking in shorts and crocks. Had it in many spots. tried to resist itching it and applied lots of the clear Calimine lotion! Not fun stuff. I dont get it as bad now as when I was a kid. Maybe I just dont play in it as much now!
Thad hope your feeling better.
Never had chiggers around here. You can keep them.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:22pm
wifey weed whacks in shorts but she wears gum boots
*DougW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *DougW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:24pm
3 ounces of roundup plus 3 ounces of crossbow per gallon take poison down in a week
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:55am
I think goats eat poison ivy.

Jewel weed and spotted touch me knot are the same plant and it's the common cure for poison ivy.

It's great fun if you can get some of the seed pods all the way home and have one of the kids touch it, watch them jump when it explodes.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 1:09am
I don't get PI rashes, but them stockholders do, I try to drop off a chunk of it each year somewhere where they'll hafta grab it! sometimes i'll put a chunk of the vine in their firewood box!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:57am

I don't get PI rashes, but them stockholders do, I try to drop off a chunk of it each year somewhere where they'll hafta grab it! sometimes i'll put a chunk of the vine in their firewood box!

Be careful. I was never allergic to it and now it gets me bad.
I had a Dr. appointment Tuesday and while there they gave me a shot and now it’s starting to heal.

Edited by Thad in AR. - 22 Aug 2019 at 3:58am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:07am

Boy,,I'll tell ya'll what,,,,,my Good Buddy is a character,,,ain't he,,,,???LOLLOL
 Chit,,I'm just thankful he on my side and we live far enough apart he ain't gonna be dreamin up any meanness agin me,,,,,,,,WinkWink,,,at least none I know bout,,,yet,,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic