Forum Description: anything you want to talk about except politics
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=161260
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Poison Ivy
Posted By: Thad in AR.
Subject: Poison Ivy
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:37am
I’ve never been allergic to it but last summer I got a little touch of it. Now I have my second batch of it this summer and this round is miserable.

Replies:
Posted By: Pat the Plumber CIL
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:47am
Got in to some Sunday helping a friend clean up some downed trees in his yard . Just don't scratch it when it itches, yah right . Plenty of it out there this year . It must like rain . The fuzzy vines that grow up trees is the worst . Poison sumac I believe. Three leaves let it be

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:31am
It is miserable if you get it bad!
Good chance I will have it in a few days too. Weed whacking around it.
Yea dont itch it for a week and it should go away! Easier said than done. 
Regards,
 Chris 

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: DMiller
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:47am
Local pharmacist said to smear Cortisone cream on mine, as I was going to go to the doc for another round of steroid. Worked BETTER than steroid meds. Dried it right up surprisingly fast too.
Just have to get a SMALL fresh tube as it does not retain strength long.

Posted By: Tracy Martin TN
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:04am
Go get some Tecnu from Walmart or pharmacy. That is best stuff. Kills the oil in the affected area to keep from spreading. It is what forestry industry uses. HTH Tracy

-------------
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I’ve never been allergic to it but last summer I got a little touch of it. Now I have my second batch of it this summer and this round is miserable.

Sounds like you've become sensitized to the poison. It happens!
I've never had more than a couple tiny blisters and I hope it stays that way I use calamine lotion, and try to keep anything from brushing on it for a couple days.

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Posted By: Tbone95
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:01am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Local pharmacist said to smear Cortisone cream on mine, as I was going to go to the doc for another round of steroid. Worked BETTER than steroid meds. Dried it right up surprisingly fast too.
Just have to get a SMALL fresh tube as it does not retain strength long.

Guess what cortisone is.

Posted By: TimNearFortWorth
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:17am
There is a product called IVAREST, pump type foam you apply if you even suspect you came into contact with any of those nasty plants, or at first signs of symptoms. 
Wally World has it.

Posted By: Greg (Hillsboro, OH)
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:32am
x2  on Technu

Posted By: john(MI)
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:35pm
Doc told me that PI is cumulative in the body.  You will eventually get a reaction. 

-------------
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:08pm
DON'T scratch yer gonads! and burn the clothes you was wearing that day (stay outta the smoke too) cuz you'll never be able to wash the oils outta them.

Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:35pm
Wink HA HA ,I don't get poison oak , I never tested them other ones. Confused Well ok one spot one time. But..........but I worked really had to get it. I got promoted to cheif fence fixer where somebody drove the bulldozer over the fence in a patch of poison oak(it weren't me). It was one of them hot high humity days ,the sweat is pooring out. You got all them the skin just opened up. And I skuffed one of the broken sticks along it,all but getting it bleeding..............and there was a big O'l ball of sap that got pushed right on in. That little spot got that big old boil on it.Clap And I can tell you I expereanced that O'l itchen.

But thank you LORD I never have had it again. Most people that play in it as kids,had it real close to the house as babies never get it.

Posted By: irlbeck A-C'S
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:43pm
We use a product called zanfel
It's a creme that you mix with water, make into a paste then rub it on. It works. Only bad thing is it feels like sandpaper when you rub it on.

-------------
B,C,CA,(2)WC's,(4)WD's,(2) WD45'S, 45Diesel, (2)D12'S Series 2, D12 Hiclear,(2)D12 Series 3, HD3, D17NF (3)D17 Series 4 Diesels, M-100 Grader,8550,A few Lawn tractors lots of other AC stuff    

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

DON'T scratch yer gonads! and burn the clothes you was wearing that day (stay outta the smoke too) cuz you'll never be able to wash the oils outta them.

Wink My BIL was the same as me never had it. Then he was getting treated for cancer( I don't remember which treatment, but that makes you sick if you were not already) Which he handled pretty well. So he was out to the ranch looking things over and get a load of firewood, just about all if which has had poison oak climbing the oak trees we cut.ConfusedAnd he needed to pee. Needless to say just like the DUDE he had some bad days tell it got better.

So Thad you been taking any strong medicine? Or maybe lost of stress that has you just knocked down? I sure hope you don't get it again..........................Wink cause that means I could get it then.LOL An I sure don't want it ether.LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:35pm
I know cortisone cream is a topical steroid, but it isn't a pill form and dosage is pretty low while it gets right at the problem Tbone.

Posted By: HD6GTOM
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:16pm
I have run out to the gas barrel, run a little gas in a gallon can, soaked a rag in the gas and rubbed it on the spot. Its never failed. Next day its dry'd up. Ok for a true story--- best friend was making new fence, got his hands into a bunch of it and didn't realize it. He and the ex crawled in to bed a little later that afternoon. 2 days later she went to the DR. Dr and nurses had a real good laugh. She said it was very uncomfortable to set or walk for several days. She would't rub gas on it.

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:14pm
Best stuff to get rid of it, natural is a plant called jewel weed, a member of the impatiens family, blooms in August, mostly, around here. Stuff grows in low areas, 'round here, like river bottoms.  It has a succulent stem, you crush it, in some water, in a 5 gallon bucket, let it set in the sun with a lid on it, fer about half a day, and its RTU.  There are some ointments that have it as an ingredient, but IMHO, the real stuff is best.

I have found, that if you know you have touched it, and can get to cold water and lye soap, within 20 minutes, you can lessen or get rid of it, thataway...Wink

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:15pm
may also try Adolfs meat tenderizer, make into a paste and rub it on the spot, let dry and peel off

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:35pm
Lil Vernon at work got it bad once. We were installing some drain pipe. He put PVC glue on it. Said it burned like all get out but it worked.😄

Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:37pm
I remembered another good LOL Shameless shenagain while I was off getting the cow and calf I didn't know I had. Some of my neigbhors could be a stockholder in another hood. She probably been gone since the first of August or so,but a possiblity it was only Dec.Confused

Wink With a cattle empire of 70 head and 3000 acres hard Confused to keep track.  If you are one of them have to see them all  everytime you look you would be bald.LOLLOLLOL

But back to poison oak, at the cemetery in middle of the of the empire there was a vandalism problem. Mainly cause of all the kids looken for spot to get off the road out in the country to drink beer, an.......... well you can guess. But of coarse what else you going to find in the cemetery after dark when your drinking Wink A GHOST. This O'l gal that had been a truant officer in the hood way down on the boarder in Caly took on running the cemetery. She had had it and locked the gate at dark every night, but the going under and over the 4 foot chain link. So Wink somebody cut up little bits of poison oak and spread it all along the inside of the fence. Wink Must not of been anybody crawled under,never any reports of having poison oak after a visit in all the picture of ghost and stories  about the Adelaida Cemetery.

I use to check that site every once in a while and one year Halloween was on a Friday. All the ghost people decided to have a party out here,Wink  I told the old gal.LOLLOLLOL The neighborhood had are own party about 40 people and the sheriff deputy and the wildland fire station crew was still open so they came and had a little food too. Several car loads of ghost hunters pulled in,ConfusedConfusedConfused they kinda figured out not there kind a people and moved on.

I am sorry for leading everyone as far off from giving sympathy to Thad for his problems.LOLLOLLOL But if he's laughing maybe it don't itch.WinkWink

Posted By: weiner
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:37pm
I heard that apple cider vinegar works very well too.

-------------
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.

Posted By: Dakota Dave
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:46pm
Get a bar of Fels-Naptha soap its in the laundry section scrub with it as soon as you notice you e been in poison ivy. It removes the oil from your skin a d greatly reduces the affect.

Posted By: JW in MO
Date Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:47pm
Charlie, my Mom used to douse us with calamine lotion but I kinda figured it was like the purple pink eye medicine you sprayed on cows, didn't do a damn thing, just let everybody know who had it.

-------------
Maximum use of available resources!

Posted By: allis g
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 12:08am
I get it bad . Been known to get it on my arm hanging out the window driving down the road in the spring.   Wife worked for state parks had to rescue some tourists off of Morro Rock. She got it so bad she was in the hospital for 3 days.

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:10am
I cut sum 2 inch vines growing ona tree a couple times, it went in the firewood pile with the rest of the wood. never affected me.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:43am
Shameless, if I was poison ivy I'd stay away from you too. Wink

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

Get a bar of Fels-Naptha soap its in the laundry section scrub with it as soon as you notice you e been in poison ivy. It removes the oil from your skin a d greatly reduces the affect.

With poison oak even around my yard, the washing good real soon helps a lot. Several times I have asked people "you know that is poison oak right next to you". Only to get "no is that what it looks like,I get it real bad".  Have them wash several times with what ever soap is around, and if they get it still much less than they have had in the past,and most none at all.

No Shameless I have never planted it. I think it is the birds that eat the little BB size seeds and then leave it all over. I spray it with Roundup real heavy................. but that may Wink be worse than poison oak.LOLLOLLOL

Winkchas you don't need to come visit me,cause I see this big black cloud following you around just waiting to cover you in "pretty" .

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:18pm
Speakin of poison ivy,there is a boat load of it growing down by the lane to the back 40(maybe 20). I don't suppose you can just roundup it? Son in law highly suseptical and does some lane mowing down there. One of them "if the wind is blowing....". Wifey would like it gone but I don't think it's that easy.

Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 4:25am
Roundup will kill it, just follow the directions on the label, and keep in mind roundup kills everything green and growing.  sometimes you have to play with the rate, start low, and work your way up.  Remember, PI can have a helluva root system, if its been there for years...Wink

-------------

Posted By: klinemar
Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 4:56am
We used to put chlorine bleach on Poison Ivy unless it was on your private parts! Technu works great as I get Poison Ivy and have had many treatments. There are other products called Ivy X and Ivy block that work like sunscreen to block the oil from Poison Ivy.

Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:19am
I kill it poison oak here with round up and I mix in some cheap detergent it breaks down the oil on th plant and gets the round up into the plant faster. You got to keep at the stuff quite often it takes several applications of it.

Date Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:30pm
I'll give it a try when I get some time. Thx

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 9:26pm
Got a bad batch this round. Last Sunday after church I went up to the road and dug a hole for a new mail box. Actually that was Saturday. Sunday I took my chain saw up and cut the post to length. I cut about 3 feet off the post. The cutoff fell and got me in the shoulder then hit the ground and slid down in the ditch. I crawled down in the ditch to retrieve the cutoff. I had to crawl back up as it very steep. I got it all over my stomachs and chest and right leg. It’s bad behind my knee. I’ve tried technical cream and spray, cortisone cream vinegar and some stuff she got at the pharmacy called zanfel and it seems to be working. It’s been hot and humid here so it spread all week while I was at work. I’ve had to lay low and do inside projects this weekend. I wouldn’t wish this crap on anyone.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 12:11am
Go to the doctor get a cortisone shot the steroid will dry it up. Also get some tea bags wet then and dab it on the bad areas. The reason it itches is your body puts out tonic acid to combat it the tea has tannic acid in it

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:30am

This reminds me of my only'ist time with thet stuff, since I guess it don't grow in this part of the country. My first assigned job as supervisor was  to do a demolition project at a refinery in Potwin, Kansas. The friggin weeds was way over our heads and bein desert boys,we just walked em down around the towers and would take our breaks by layin in the shade RIGHT on them weeds, after that second or third day,,, 3 of the four of us had the dangest case of the itches and scratchies we had ever had, and I finally took the whole crew to a Dr cause we all had red welts all over,,,!! Since three of us had been "partyin" pretty hard,,we thought it may be something else,,,?? The Dr laughed and said,,"You boys got poison Ivy,,,AND a bad case of  CHIGGERS,,,chit I had never even heard of chiggers!!!,,,but sure was glad it wasn't thet other thing I was worried bout. They gave us all a shot and some creams to use and sent us on the way,,,with a stern warnin to NOT lay down in the weeds of Kansas,,,,LOLLOL

Posted By: fixer1958
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:10am
Don't lay down anywhere outside in Kansas unless you have slathered yourself down in bug spray. Been in a few peoples houses you needed to do that too.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:13am
Yep chiggers are brutal! Dead

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 4:57pm
North west Arkansas is the chigger capitol of the world. They’re rough but nothing compared to this poison Ivy.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:02pm
Chiggers like to et me alive cutting some down tree pieces the other day, had even used GOOD bug Spray DEET. Horse flies would not land but the chiggers did.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:07pm
Chiggers are usually done here by this time of year. It’s humid wet and green here still. It’s usually dry and brown this time of year and mowing every other or every third week. We’re still mowing once a week and that barely keeps up.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:15pm
We'll get chiggers here, in a dry year.  Coupla years ago, I was bush hoggin a coupla acres, in July, just had hiker shoes on, man them lil sumbiches had me fer lunch.  Lost count at about a hunnert bites! ever since they, I keep the bottoms of some tyvek coveralls, in the toolbpx, on that tractor.  When I'm wearin them, I put them on, upside down, with the elastic above the calf, and they cover the joint where pants end and socks begin, so they can't get in...Wink

As for the itch of chiggers, ain't found much that helps...Cry

For PI, PO, or sumac, google jewel weed (native impatiens).  If it's in your area, it will be found in bottoms, likes sun, little orange flower, that will snap a seed pod at you, hence its other name, touch-me-not.

Take a goodly handful of the succulent stems, flowers, leaves and all, put in a 5 gallon bucket, with about 2-1/2 gallons of water in it, crush them stems up good, and cover with lid, let sit in sun for a coupla hours, strain and you have a liquid to spread on the itch...Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:18pm

may also try Adolfs meat tenderizer, make into a paste and rub it on the spot, let dry and peel off
           Add a dash of salt and pepper and you might be on to something there.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:23pm
I don't get PI but I did hear you could rub the stalk to get the juice from a Touch Me Not weed on the area as a preventative.,,,,,,,,,,I mean yeah what DIY said now that I've read it.

Posted By: bryani289swmi
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:24pm
I’m extremely allergic to it, often have had it 8-10 times a year for 25 years and I’ve tried all the potions. When you have it predisone is the best but the doctor won’t prescribe it for me anymore, too hard on the liver. Anyways whenever I go out and think I may be exposed I wash with dish soap to cut the oil, you really need to scrub with washcloth. Then I wipe down with rubbing alcohol on another cloth. I still occasionally get it a couple times a year but not very bad. I’ve had my arms and face totally covered with 1” blisters and it’s miserable but if you get the oil off you are ok. Thanks.

Bryan

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollowpoints explode on impact.

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:21pm
My cure of choice for chiggers and ticks is diesel, or grandmas lie soap if you can get it. We were logging a patch of timber one time that was absolutely working alive with ticks and chiggers, so every night I take a rag soaked in diesel and scrub all over with it. Then stand around for 10-15 minutes and shower it off. Didn't get another bite. Fact.    Leon

Posted By: JW in MO
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:49pm
Grandpa always said for chiggers, rub whiskey and sand on them.  Doesn't get rid of em but sure is entertaining to watch em get drunk and throw rocks at each other.

Seriously, another use for the wife's fingernail polish, coat the top of the chigger bite generously with the fingernail polish, it supposedly cuts off their air supply and they die.  I've found it usually takes 2 to 3 days.  Be sure to re-apply if it starts to come off.

-------------
Maximum use of available resources!

Posted By: Coke-in-MN
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:33pm
Fells Naptha laundry soap bar - wash with it and just luke warm water - DON'T SCRUB - just hand wash - in fact a couple times using fresh water each time . 
 Then shower down with regular soap and most times no problems , yep Cortisone cream will calm down any itching that might arise also taking a antihistamine like Benadryl or similar tablets . 

-------------
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:04am
Or you could buy a few drops of my reasonably priced blood and make yerselves an antidote.

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:22am
Got Poison Ivy again this summer. Like a dummy I was weed wacking in shorts and crocks. Had it in many spots. tried to resist itching it and applied lots of the clear Calimine lotion! Not fun stuff. I dont get it as bad now as when I was a kid. Maybe I just dont play in it as much now!
Thad hope your feeling better.
Never had chiggers around here. You can keep them.
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 1:22pm
wifey weed whacks in shorts but she wears gum boots

Posted By: *DougW
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:24pm
3 ounces of roundup plus 3 ounces of crossbow per gallon take poison down in a week

Posted By: wide
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:55am
I think goats eat poison ivy.

Jewel weed and spotted touch me knot are the same plant and it's the common cure for poison ivy.

It's great fun if you can get some of the seed pods all the way home and have one of the kids touch it, watch them jump when it explodes.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 1:09am
I don't get PI rashes, but them stockholders do, I try to drop off a chunk of it each year somewhere where they'll hafta grab it! sometimes i'll put a chunk of the vine in their firewood box!

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:57am

I don't get PI rashes, but them stockholders do, I try to drop off a chunk of it each year somewhere where they'll hafta grab it! sometimes i'll put a chunk of the vine in their firewood box!

Be careful. I was never allergic to it and now it gets me bad.
I had a Dr. appointment Tuesday and while there they gave me a shot and now it’s starting to heal.

Posted By: desertjoe
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:07am

Boy,,I'll tell ya'll what,,,,,my Good Buddy is a character,,,ain't he,,,,???LOLLOL
 Chit,,I'm just thankful he on my side and we live far enough apart he ain't gonna be dreamin up any meanness agin me,,,,,,,,WinkWink,,,at least none I know bout,,,yet,,,,

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net