This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poison Ivy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poison Ivy
    Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:37am
I’ve never been allergic to it but last summer I got a little touch of it. Now I have my second batch of it this summer and this round is miserable.
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:47am
Got in to some Sunday helping a friend clean up some downed trees in his yard . Just don't scratch it when it itches, yah right . Plenty of it out there this year . It must like rain . The fuzzy vines that grow up trees is the worst . Poison sumac I believe. Three leaves let it be
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:31am
It is miserable if you get it bad!
Good chance I will have it in a few days too. Weed whacking around it.
Yea dont itch it for a week and it should go away! Easier said than done. 
Regards,
 Chris 
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:47am
Local pharmacist said to smear Cortisone cream on mine, as I was going to go to the doc for another round of steroid. Worked BETTER than steroid meds. Dried it right up surprisingly fast too.
Just have to get a SMALL fresh tube as it does not retain strength long.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:04am
Go get some Tecnu from Walmart or pharmacy. That is best stuff. Kills the oil in the affected area to keep from spreading. It is what forestry industry uses. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I’ve never been allergic to it but last summer I got a little touch of it. Now I have my second batch of it this summer and this round is miserable.

Sounds like you've become sensitized to the poison. It happens!
I've never had more than a couple tiny blisters and I hope it stays that way I use calamine lotion, and try to keep anything from brushing on it for a couple days.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:01am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Local pharmacist said to smear Cortisone cream on mine, as I was going to go to the doc for another round of steroid. Worked BETTER than steroid meds. Dried it right up surprisingly fast too.
Just have to get a SMALL fresh tube as it does not retain strength long.

Guess what cortisone is.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:17am
There is a product called IVAREST, pump type foam you apply if you even suspect you came into contact with any of those nasty plants, or at first signs of symptoms. 
Wally World has it.
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:32am
x2  on Technu
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:35pm
Doc told me that PI is cumulative in the body.  You will eventually get a reaction. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:08pm
DON'T scratch yer gonads! and burn the clothes you was wearing that day (stay outta the smoke too) cuz you'll never be able to wash the oils outta them.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:35pm
Wink HA HA ,I don't get poison oak , I never tested them other ones. Confused Well ok one spot one time. But..........but I worked really had to get it. I got promoted to cheif fence fixer where somebody drove the bulldozer over the fence in a patch of poison oak(it weren't me). It was one of them hot high humity days ,the sweat is pooring out. You got all them the skin just opened up. And I skuffed one of the broken sticks along it,all but getting it bleeding..............and there was a big O'l ball of sap that got pushed right on in. That little spot got that big old boil on it.Clap And I can tell you I expereanced that O'l itchen.

But thank you LORD I never have had it again. Most people that play in it as kids,had it real close to the house as babies never get it.
irlbeck A-C'S View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irlbeck A-C'S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:43pm
We use a product called zanfel
It's a creme that you mix with water, make into a paste then rub it on. It works. Only bad thing is it feels like sandpaper when you rub it on.
B,C,CA,(2)WC's,(4)WD's,(2) WD45'S, 45Diesel, (2)D12'S Series 2, D12 Hiclear,(2)D12 Series 3, HD3, D17NF (3)D17 Series 4 Diesels, M-100 Grader,8550,A few Lawn tractors lots of other AC stuff    
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

DON'T scratch yer gonads! and burn the clothes you was wearing that day (stay outta the smoke too) cuz you'll never be able to wash the oils outta them.

Wink My BIL was the same as me never had it. Then he was getting treated for cancer( I don't remember which treatment, but that makes you sick if you were not already) Which he handled pretty well. So he was out to the ranch looking things over and get a load of firewood, just about all if which has had poison oak climbing the oak trees we cut.ConfusedAnd he needed to pee. Needless to say just like the DUDE he had some bad days tell it got better.

So Thad you been taking any strong medicine? Or maybe lost of stress that has you just knocked down? I sure hope you don't get it again..........................Wink cause that means I could get it then.LOL An I sure don't want it ether.LOLLOLLOL
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 4:35pm
I know cortisone cream is a topical steroid, but it isn't a pill form and dosage is pretty low while it gets right at the problem Tbone.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:16pm
I have run out to the gas barrel, run a little gas in a gallon can, soaked a rag in the gas and rubbed it on the spot. Its never failed. Next day its dry'd up. Ok for a true story--- best friend was making new fence, got his hands into a bunch of it and didn't realize it. He and the ex crawled in to bed a little later that afternoon. 2 days later she went to the DR. Dr and nurses had a real good laugh. She said it was very uncomfortable to set or walk for several days. She would't rub gas on it.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:14pm
Best stuff to get rid of it, natural is a plant called jewel weed, a member of the impatiens family, blooms in August, mostly, around here. Stuff grows in low areas, 'round here, like river bottoms.  It has a succulent stem, you crush it, in some water, in a 5 gallon bucket, let it set in the sun with a lid on it, fer about half a day, and its RTU.  There are some ointments that have it as an ingredient, but IMHO, the real stuff is best.

I have found, that if you know you have touched it, and can get to cold water and lye soap, within 20 minutes, you can lessen or get rid of it, thataway...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:15pm
may also try Adolfs meat tenderizer, make into a paste and rub it on the spot, let dry and peel off
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:35pm
Lil Vernon at work got it bad once. We were installing some drain pipe. He put PVC glue on it. Said it burned like all get out but it worked.😄
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:37pm
I remembered another good LOL Shameless shenagain while I was off getting the cow and calf I didn't know I had. Some of my neigbhors could be a stockholder in another hood. She probably been gone since the first of August or so,but a possiblity it was only Dec.Confused

Wink With a cattle empire of 70 head and 3000 acres hard Confused to keep track.  If you are one of them have to see them all  everytime you look you would be bald.LOLLOLLOL

But back to poison oak, at the cemetery in middle of the of the empire there was a vandalism problem. Mainly cause of all the kids looken for spot to get off the road out in the country to drink beer, an.......... well you can guess. But of coarse what else you going to find in the cemetery after dark when your drinking Wink A GHOST. This O'l gal that had been a truant officer in the hood way down on the boarder in Caly took on running the cemetery. She had had it and locked the gate at dark every night, but the going under and over the 4 foot chain link. So Wink somebody cut up little bits of poison oak and spread it all along the inside of the fence. Wink Must not of been anybody crawled under,never any reports of having poison oak after a visit in all the picture of ghost and stories  about the Adelaida Cemetery.

I use to check that site every once in a while and one year Halloween was on a Friday. All the ghost people decided to have a party out here,Wink  I told the old gal.LOLLOLLOL The neighborhood had are own party about 40 people and the sheriff deputy and the wildland fire station crew was still open so they came and had a little food too. Several car loads of ghost hunters pulled in,ConfusedConfusedConfused they kinda figured out not there kind a people and moved on.

I am sorry for leading everyone as far off from giving sympathy to Thad for his problems.LOLLOLLOL But if he's laughing maybe it don't itch.WinkWink
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:37pm
I heard that apple cider vinegar works very well too.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:46pm
Get a bar of Fels-Naptha soap its in the laundry section scrub with it as soon as you notice you e been in poison ivy. It removes the oil from your skin a d greatly reduces the affect.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:47pm
Charlie, my Mom used to douse us with calamine lotion but I kinda figured it was like the purple pink eye medicine you sprayed on cows, didn't do a damn thing, just let everybody know who had it.
Maximum use of available resources!
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 12:08am
I get it bad . Been known to get it on my arm hanging out the window driving down the road in the spring.   Wife worked for state parks had to rescue some tourists off of Morro Rock. She got it so bad she was in the hospital for 3 days.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:10am
I cut sum 2 inch vines growing ona tree a couple times, it went in the firewood pile with the rest of the wood. never affected me.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:43am
Shameless, if I was poison ivy I'd stay away from you too. Wink

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

Get a bar of Fels-Naptha soap its in the laundry section scrub with it as soon as you notice you e been in poison ivy. It removes the oil from your skin a d greatly reduces the affect.

With poison oak even around my yard, the washing good real soon helps a lot. Several times I have asked people "you know that is poison oak right next to you". Only to get "no is that what it looks like,I get it real bad".  Have them wash several times with what ever soap is around, and if they get it still much less than they have had in the past,and most none at all.

No Shameless I have never planted it. I think it is the birds that eat the little BB size seeds and then leave it all over. I spray it with Roundup real heavy................. but that may Wink be worse than poison oak.LOLLOLLOL

Winkchas you don't need to come visit me,cause I see this big black cloud following you around just waiting to cover you in "pretty" .

Edited by Ray54 - 24 May 2019 at 5:01pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 11:18pm
Speakin of poison ivy,there is a boat load of it growing down by the lane to the back 40(maybe 20). I don't suppose you can just roundup it? Son in law highly suseptical and does some lane mowing down there. One of them "if the wind is blowing....". Wifey would like it gone but I don't think it's that easy.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 4:25am
Roundup will kill it, just follow the directions on the label, and keep in mind roundup kills everything green and growing.  sometimes you have to play with the rate, start low, and work your way up.  Remember, PI can have a helluva root system, if its been there for years...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 4:56am
We used to put chlorine bleach on Poison Ivy unless it was on your private parts! Technu works great as I get Poison Ivy and have had many treatments. There are other products called Ivy X and Ivy block that work like sunscreen to block the oil from Poison Ivy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic