This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nighttime leg cramps,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nighttime leg cramps,,,,,
    Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 8:02am

The last year or so,,I have been bothered with really BAD leg cramping /spasms at night and begining to concern me some,, I had one early this mornin and had to roll out of bed and start to massage the large inner thigh muscle on my right leg as it was drawn up tighter than chit and was extremely painful. I keep an electric massager by the recliner but could not walk to it because of the pain in even moving my leg. Finally reached the phone and fixin to call 911 for some help is how bad it was. After bout 15 minutes of hand massage,,the muscle calmed down to where I could hobble to the recliner to reach the massager.
 The wife's Dr had given her some cyclobenzaprene for her nighttime leg cramps and thinkin on tryin some but,,,???
\Anybody else got these issues and what/how do ya'll address them,,,???  Help,,,!!!
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 8:13am
Cold damp towel helps some, taking some cal/mag with D or zinc may help too...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 8:59am
Mom used to get em when sleepin, and slug of store bought kosher dill pickle juice or a pickled would do it for her. I've since gotten her on a multi vitamin daily and it has gone away for her. Moms 85. I'm figuring potassium, magnesium, zinc, and maybe other isiums like vitamin C.

Edited by chaskaduo - 21 Aug 2019 at 9:02am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 12:17pm
I had trouble with leg cramps about 10 years ago. I could get it to go away taking a potassuim pill. Then the insurance company  trumped what the doctor said and changed my blood pressure meds. New meds said not to take potassium or bad things would happen. But it seem the blood pressure medicine must have been part of the trouble, cause they just about stopped real soon after the change.

But as I had less my Wonderful has been getting more. She has had help from some little pills you let melt under your tougue. Taking the potassium I did, doesn't help here. She orders them on line,an the bottle just says LEG CRAMP. They have helped me with the time or I have had a bad one in the last year or two.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 12:39pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:04pm
1/2 glass tomato juice, 1/4 glass orange juice, 4-5 swigs of lemon juices, few pinches of salt
OK, maybe not the best tasting concoction but it does eliminae sinues, migraines and leg cramps.. at least for me...

I'll lay odds your 'electrolyte' levels are screwy( need more of some/all ). Drinking JUST water is BAD...though it'll 'hydrate' you, it acrually LOWERS your electroytes !

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:10pm
Drink more water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

1/2 glass tomato juice, 1/4 glass orange juice, 4-5 swigs of lemon juices, few pinches of salt
OK, maybe not the best tasting concoction but it does eliminae sinues, migraines and leg cramps.. at least for me...

I'll lay odds your 'electrolyte' levels are screwy( need more of some/all ). Drinking JUST water is BAD...though it'll 'hydrate' you, it acrually LOWERS your electroytes !

Jay
Drinking "Just water" is NOT bad.  Unless you mean the only thing  you put in your body for days is just water.

Normally, a person's diet takes in more than enough electrolytes (salts) and minerals, and water is natures way of balancing that out to where it should be.  Lowering the electrolytes is what it is SUPPOSED to do. It's how the Big Guy designed us.  Modern food, is stripped of so many minerals and micronutrients from over processing, that mineral supplements are sometimes needed, or, as you do, make a special concoction addressing the issue.

Generally speaking, drinking "just water" is the best thing you can drink.

Edited by Tbone95 - 21 Aug 2019 at 2:29pm
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 3:09pm
I agree,  drink a lot more water.  I read that a lot of cramps are due to muscle dehydration and drinking more water does help me.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 3:15pm
Joe I’ve been having the same. I’m at the dr. As we speak getting exrays of my knees and back trying to figure what to do about the swelling and pain.
Once I decided to go to a Dr. seems like they sure want to find something wrong.
Between Dentist and Dr this is my 4th visit this week. That’s more than my whole previous life.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by weiner weiner wrote:

I agree,  drink a lot more water.  I read that a lot of cramps are due to muscle dehydration and drinking more water does help me.
It all depends on the root cause of the cramps.......But in general, water is fantastic for you and most people don't get enough.  I know I certainly don't.  It's great that it works for you. 

As much as Doc's like to find things wrong if you pay them a visit, sometimes you just have to.  Try a few of the remedies and suggestions of friends, and if nothing is working, work with a doc to try and find a root cause.

Brother in law's dad says to eat a spoonful of mustard.  Plain!  I said, "Holy chit!  I think I'd rather have a cramp!!!"
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 5:05pm
i had them real bad; used all the above fixes and then another 50.  they didn't help a damn bit!    I finally found to give up diet soda and substitute powerade zero.  still working today.   i know cause i get stupid and load up on diet pop and suffer.   doesn't take long to remind myself.   buddy of mine had it even worse then i did.   he alternates between powerade and gatorade.
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 5:12pm
An old friend of ours used quinine in water and drink it when needed. Said it worked great.    Leon

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:14pm
Yes lot's of water is good BUT it has to be balanced with replacement electroytes. Gatorade does that AND a LOT of sugar ( check their website for the numbers).
My concoction is a 'poor man's gatorade' WITHOUT the huge amount of sugar. While it may not taste great it's helped me since my heat stroke of 2014....

Jay

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:13pm
I drink 10 oz of orange juice every morning..... never had much of a problem.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:19pm
The WORST leg cramps I encounter are on top of my shins ?? How can there be any muscle mass on top of a shin to get a cramp??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 7:42pm
I get them in my right hand, between the base of th 'pinky' and the wrist. Cramps in a good(?) 1/4". Looks real bad, peopple wince when they see it ask 'don't it hurt' ? I just say ..oh great, that again... gues I'm used to the pain..

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:52am
Jay...your concocksion sounds a whole lot tastier than the one ole Joe wanted me to drank down! lol. Joe...I agree with most all above, I keep mine at bay with a potassium pill each day.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:47am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Yes lot's of water is good BUT it has to be balanced with replacement electroytes. Gatorade does that AND a LOT of sugar ( check their website for the numbers).
My concoction is a 'poor man's gatorade' WITHOUT the huge amount of sugar. While it may not taste great it's helped me since my heat stroke of 2014....

Jay

If it works for you, great. You aren’t hurting yourself. If you need it because of heat stroke, so be it, glad you’re handling it.

The point is, the VAST MAJORITY of people do not need something like Gatorade to get enough of the electrolytes. Extreme exertion for extended periods, like high level sports, maybe lumberjacking in July, then sure.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:51am

Shameless,,,,,,,,,you just gonna have to STOP insistin on drinkin thet ACV straight,,,!! Chit,,I'd much sooner drink some tequila straight that try the ACV straight,,,wow,,!!
 The recipe I first started usin was to use the ACV with some organic Agave necter but one time I went to Walmart,,they were out so I substituted some Grandma's Molassis,,and that is what I use now. This concocktion is very "refreshing" with the lemon slices on a hot day,,,I Love it,,,Clap
 Anyway,,,I almost had another leg cramp earlier,,thing is,,I can sense it startin right before it goes hog wild and I think I am agravating  it by tensing up my legs and trying to stretch out too much right before it starts. I'ma gonna look into thet stuff ole TBone had the link to. I really should go see the sawbones to do some bloodwork to see what the potassium level is as WebMd also sayin like most guys here are sayin,,of low potassium levels. I got to do something,,I'm worried one of them sobs is gonna catch me good and I sure don't look forward to the outcomes,,, I dang near called 911 the other night,,is how bad that one was,,,,,
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:33am
That reminds me, one evening BIL cramped up both calves & thighs tight as a banjo and he was is terrible pain. Lil sis took him to emergency after an hour and it turned out his liver was falling down on the job. He had contracted Hep C earlier in life and it was starting to take its toll. They slowly got him straightened around, they've got Hep C cures now ifin your not to far gone. Not sayin you got Hep C, but seeing the man again is probably a good idea.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:40am
Old gal had them BAD for years. She found out she was very low on magnesium. A trip to squallmart she picked up a bottle of 400mg, takes 2 a day. It took about a week for them to stop.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 7:52am
Hope you find relief Joe, whatever the cause.

That stuff I linked, will chase away a cramp, and keep it at bay if you take it when you get that “here it comes” feeling. Won’t address the root cause.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 8:57am
You can pick up leg cramps at Walmart the PM ones dissolve under your tounge the day times new to take with water. Also drink more water your muscles are dehydrating causing the cramps. But you've got to drink the more water a day before getting cramps for it to work. You should be drinking enough so you regularly pee clear. If any yellow tint drink more.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

You can pick up leg cramps at Walmart the PM ones dissolve under your tounge the day times new to take with water. Also drink more water your muscles are dehydrating causing the cramps. But you've got to drink the more water a day before getting cramps for it to work. You should be drinking enough so you regularly pee clear. If any yellow tint drink more.
You do not know that for a fact.  It is a possibility, but so are many other things.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 12:13pm
I do know the leg cramp pills do work for me! Takes maybe a minute or so for them to kick in.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 1:59pm
Hyland's Leg Cramps

Ingredients:

Inactive Ingredients: Lactose;Magnesium Stearate;Microcrystalline Cellulose

Ingredients: <strong>Active Ingredients:</strong><p>Aconitum Napellus 6X HPUS, Cinchona Officinalis 3X HPUS, Gnaphalium Polycephalum 3X HPUS, Ledum Palustre 6X HPUS, Magnesia Phosphorica 6X HPUS, Rhus Toxicodendron 6X HPUS, Viscum Album 3X HPUS</p><strong>Inactive Ingredients:</strong><p>Lactose, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose</p>

Active Ingredients: Magnesia Phosphorica 6X HPUS;Viscum Album 3X HPUS;Rhus Toxicodendron 6X HPUS;Gnaphalium Polycephalum 3X HPUS;Cinchona Officinalis 3X HPUS;Ledum Palustre 6X HPUS;Aconitum Napellus 6X HPUS

Directions:

Dosage: 1-2 Caplets

Instructions:

Adults and children 12 years and over: Swallow 1-2 caplets with water every 4 hours or as needed. If the initial dosage is not providing relief, swallow 1-2 caplets with water every 15 minutes, for up to 6 doses. Under 12 years of age: Consult a physician.

Walmart  $4.97 + Tax & the ride.https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=551583737
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 3:00pm
'yellow pee is not for me'......
DD is correct.
providing everything else is normal, which is what we're talking about in this thread, dehydration causes leg cramps AND yellow pee is a 'marker'. taking a glass of water evry 1/2-1 hr will slowly get you 'up to snuff'.
DD's also right in that you need to 'waterup' the day BEFORE you toil hard ,all day in the the sun, eat 2 bags of chips, drink a few beers........
THAT trifecta will land you in ER with 3 IV stuck in you....BTDT, NeverAgin !!

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:14pm
There is a NON Sugared Electrolyte drink called Powerade ZERO, Has made a believer out of me. Doc told me TOO MUCH Water was draining my body of nutrients even as I was not dehydrating I was losing minerals and gave me leg/muscle cramps. SHE Suggested the Powerade ZERO. Wally World generally has it, as does our local grocer IF I ask them to order some in. I like the Orange red and blue. The lemon Lime reminded too much of the Colon Cleanser for inspection days, just can't do it!!

Edited by DMiller - 22 Aug 2019 at 5:16pm
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 6:39pm
DD's also right in that you need to 'waterup' the day BEFORE you toil hard ,all day in the the sun, eat 2 bags of chips, drink a few beers........

Yer probably right about that.
Takes a lot sometimes to realize you ain't 30 anymore or even 40 for that matter.
I've always had that mainly in my toes and the arch of my feet. As I get older it has moved up into my legs. Over the last few years it doesn't go away as easy as it used to. Doesn't happen that often but when it does better hang on. Not 911 to me but don't discount what Joe says.
I thought beer was the cure for everything.....at least when you are about 12 deep and just getting started.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic