This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My First Tractor! D17... But which series?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Tractor! D17... But which series?
    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 9:41pm
Hi all!

I just purchased my first tractor! Stamped on the left side, just after of the engine is D17 4394... I've been reading and searching for 2 days, but for the life of me can't get a solid decision on which series it is. It's at my uncle's, so I don't have ready access to it yet. It has 1 hydraulics c port and the quick snap system. It does have the lever on the right side which I believe is high/low? It hasn't run in quite a few years, as the gas tank needed to be cleaned out and he never got around to it. I'm fairly competent with mechanics, so whatever I need to fix/replace... It is what it is. Once my boys are a little older I want to do a full resto on it with them for fun, but in the meantime want to get her up and running for bush hogging and rides !

Help with I'd?/
Sponsored Links

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 9:55pm
That number says it's a 1958. Series 1. Great tractor you have, try to show pictures

Edited by Mikez - 04 Apr 2019 at 9:56pm
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:10pm
Thank you sir!

I will most definitely be posting more pictures, but all I have at the moment are over the size limit, and just of the serial number, rear and the gear selector. I will take smaller sized pictures on Saturday and post here to follow up!

I'm really excited for this. Bush hogging and wagon rides will be her primary use, but I'm a glutton for punishment, so I intend to set it up with 3 point and am researching hydraulic upgrades. Any and all pointers are welcome!
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:49am
Best hyd upgrade is a front mounted pump.  Then you can mount a 4 or 5 gallon reservoir and run a Prince or Cross valve.
AaronSEIA
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 7:52am
Thank you Aaron!

I came across Dave's project last night and read the his thread, awesome info in there... My next search was going to be valve suggestions- so Prince and Cross is a great jumpstart! Any other thread suggestions? Seems like many that I've found ask how to add a remote for dual control and rather than suggesting a front pump and referencing a thread like Dave's (only one I've read to date; I'm sure there are more), it gets bogged down with how slow it's going to operate and the like.

Thank you!
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 7:57am
For most things the original hydraulics are fine. It depends on what you plan to do with it.

For picture resizing...
If you have a picture saved on your computer,
Right click the picture and choose "Edit"
The picture will open in old Microsoft Paint program.
There a button at the top that says resize.
Select about 600 pixels for the horizontal width and the height will adjust automatically.
600 is a good display size.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:32am
Thanks AD!

Pics are in my phone though, I'll just change the settings and snap some new ones tomorrow.

I'd like to be able to put a loader up front if I come across a good deal(I'll probably start feverishly searching for this soon), along with a splitter. The loader function with be primarily for snow with bucket/ blade and forks for putting toys away when not in season
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:40am
I've got a front pump on my series 2 for a loader.  Works very well.  Over in the Knowledge Base you'll find a thread of mine with info for a cheap front hub drive.  I got my pump from Surplus Center for just over $200.  They would also have the valves, hoses, reservoir, and everything else you'd need.  You'd probably need a machine shop to fab the pump mount, but thats not a big deal.
AaronSEIA
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:51am

Here's how the complete front pump setup looks like.....from the A-C Manual.

I also bought a Ford Adaptor and shaft from ebay......which bolts right up to the
front pulley just like Aaron's.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:40am
Awesome! 

Aaron - I'll be reading up on that shortly!

Brian - Thank you!!! I believe I read somewhere that Ford had a 3/4" and 1" option... do you recall which you chose?
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 11:07am
The AC uses 3/4".  Not sure it matters if you are starting from scratch.  I think the hole in the pedestal would take a 1" shaft.  As long as the hub adapter bolts up.  The holes are 2 3/4" on center.
AaronSEIA
AaronSEIA
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 12:48pm
3/4"
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 1:05pm
Easiest way to resize pictures on your phone. Text it to yourself. Comes back sized.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 1:24pm
This is the place to go look up if you want something about these tractors.  It's a big help MOST of the time.  Gives a wealth of knowledge about all makes of tractors.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/1/18-allis-chalmers-d17.html

Lower left corner gives the serial numbers and years made and shows each series.  HTHs

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 1:24pm
Oh yeah, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 6:32pm
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 7:28pm
Thank you guys!

Plan for tomorrow I to change all fluids and see if she wants to come back to life! I'll be sure to take pictures and report back!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:17pm
Well, my uncle just pulled the plugs and there cylinder 4 is full of coolant... Hopefully just head gasket?

Also drained the oil and there was probably an additional gallon of fluid in there that shouldn't have been

Anyone know of a place near Pleasant Prairie WI that may have some parts laying on a shelf? Haha... But seriously, I'll drive a ways tomorrow morning lol

Edited by Strokendiesel002 - 05 Apr 2019 at 8:19pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:21pm
Pictures as promised!

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:27pm
That seat assembly makes me laugh !!  So, instead of overhauling and repairing the excellent and original suspension, we graft on a piece-o-crap setup like that !! Whoo Hoo !!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:31pm
Well, Cylinder 4 forward pushrod is bent and even with the head removed, she ain't turning by hand. Gonna take the head to the shop for a fresh up. May try to put it into gear and move it back and forth a bit to see if it'll budge. Otherwise I'll be dropping the pan, unbolting the rods and trying to work them out for a honing... Unless anyone has a better suggestion?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:34pm
Dr - yeah, I noticed that it doesn't look like most of the D17's I've seen... Gonna be working on that after I get her up and running
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Strokendiesel002 Strokendiesel002 wrote:

Well, Cylinder 4 forward pushrod is bent and even with the head removed, she ain't turning by hand. Gonna take the head to the shop for a fresh up. May try to put it into gear and move it back and forth a bit to see if it'll budge. Otherwise I'll be dropping the pan, unbolting the rods and trying to work them out for a honing... Unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Be very careful.Many connecting rods have been bent this way.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:48pm
Thank you BA, I most certainly will be gentle, picking back and forth by hand, unless there's a better way?
DanD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 11:21pm
You could push a sleeve up out of the block turning the crank with stuck pistons and no head on but it's probably what you'll be doing anyway.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 12:44am
I suppose that's better than bending a connecting rod :)

I normally wouldn't hesitate to tear something all the way apart, but I was hoping it could wait a few years until my boys are old enough to do a complete resto with me. We'll find out what happens next weekend. I don't think I'm getting to it tomorrow... Later today and this week is pretty well jammed with work.

I suppose it's time to stop shopping for parts and go to sleep.

Thank you everyone for following along and sharing your thoughts/ knowledge!
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:25am
Put a 50/50 mix of acetone and atf in the cylinders and wait a long time.  Might get lucky and have them loosen up.
AaronSEIA
tractorboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:16am
Just got my 58 d-17 going after a complete rebuild, Like Aaron says 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF willbreah it loose. It worked for me on a CA that sat outside 25yrs !!   Congrats on your new tractor !!!  keith so, va,
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:27am
Thank you guys! I'm going to try and get over to it to fill it up today!

Maybe I'll give her a go next weekend then.

Would you fill the crank with this mix or kerosene to try and clean it/ break free?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 10:54am
On top of each piston. That's where it is "stuck".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic