This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mowing your lawn with a finish mower?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD in kansas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 11:42am
Seems a lot of us think alike. I use a 7' King Kutter behind my WD, and the girlfriend push mows around the trees! Most of my trees are planted like a grid, so I can mow up and down or side to side staying mostly in a straight line. I use a farm jack and cinder blocks when I need to service it. Have an extra set of blades so I can sharpen anytime and switch as needed.
1950 WD, Duetz Allis 613
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 1:59pm
I use a 4' Bolens tag-along finish mower equipped with a 9HP B/S. behind my IB. Was used on a golf coarse originally. Does a great job on the couple acres of lawn that I have. Besides, I git' to drive the IB around to! JoAnna wants to try it this season. I'm probably gonna loose out on my ride!! I'll have to tell her its broke and mow when she's not around...... LOL!
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2011 at 2:14pm
I don't know Steveo.If she's like mine,you won't be telling HER it's broke.After she uses it she'll be telling YOU it's broke.
70Standard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Standard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 12:04pm
We have a 25-30 HP JD utility tractor and a Frontier 3 pt finish mower at work that doesn't impress.  Get a lot of grass popping up in the tire tracks, and the mower doesn't cut the tall, thicker weeds  very well.  It looks better than mowing with a bush hog type cutter, but nothing like a true lawn mower.  I tend to let things get moderately tall/thick before I mow, so perhaps it would do a better job if mowed more often.  Trimming around things isn't a problem if you're used to 3 pt hitch implements and how they trail the tractor.
Roof Palomino (SN 224), Chetech Pug UTV, Three Green Tractors and one Red Tractor.
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 12:17pm
My neighbor has a JD CUT with a mid mounted deck. The deck is built in a way that you just pull a couple pins, undo the driveshaft and then drive over the top of it with the front tires do get it out from under the tractor. Then he flips it up with the loader to sharpen and wash it. 
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 12:25pm
Those drive over decks on the Deeres have just made a come back in the past couple years.  Now they have auto-connect, supposedly you can attach the deck from the seat, even the driveshaft.  Not sure how well it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpL38_epKqw

Edited by Claus - 19 Mar 2011 at 12:27pm
indiana2door View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiana2door Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 8:54pm
I mowed many years with a B and a Woods L59 and finally realized there had to be a better way than this 80 year old technology. Bought a ZTR and never looked back. Turned 8 hours of mowing into 2 hours including the trimming. Plus the ZTR does a much better job of cutting the grass.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic