This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matching Used Camshaft and Lifters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matching Used Camshaft and Lifters
    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 11:06pm
There's plenty of discussion about this on automotive forums, but I'm curious what the guys who deal with low-speed low spring pressure Allis-Chalmers engines think. The lobes on the camshaft out of my WD look decent, but the middle journal is worn way out of spec, so I'm looking for a replacement camshaft. Do the original lifters from whatever camshaft I buy need to go with it, on their original matched lobes? The concern is that mismatched lobes and lifters would start wearing rapidly and wipe out the lobes.

All of my lifters are worn slightly concave, and a couple of them have more serious wear patterns on them that concern me. I haven't priced new lifters at AGCO but I doubt they're cheap.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 5:29am
I'd like to think you could take parts from 4-5-6 engines, mix and match and Frankenengine would start right up an last 30-40-50 years.
Sure it'd be nice if evrything was 'within spec' but... reality is things wear over time and STILL perofrm reasonably well. I KNOW that a certain lil English Austin never had all the 'head parts' put back 'in order' and it ran GREAT.... dang that was 1/2 century ago.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 5:35am
The old rule of thumb is old cam/new lifters is OK but new cam/old lifters is not OK. If your going to the expence of a new or reground cam get the lifters refaced. If that expence causes your wallet to empty out then don't get a new cam and find a used one and put it back together. As the other poster said it will very likely run great tbe rest of your life.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 5:36am
Duplicate removed

Edited by Butch(OH) - 03 Jul 2020 at 5:37am
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 5:59am
Well— I’m going through this same issue on an old Chrysler flat head that is soon to be rebuilt. Doesn’t seem new lifters are available and I‘m being told they reuse the old lifters on reground cams.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

The old rule of thumb is old cam/new lifters is OK but new cam/old lifters is not OK. If your going to the expence of a new or reground cam get the lifters refaced. If that expence causes your wallet to empty out then don't get a new cam and find a used one and put it back together. As the other poster said it will very likely run great tbe rest of your life.

I will not be putting a new/reground cam in this tractor and valve springs will be stock. However, I should mention that this tractor will get some hours on it since I have about 20 acres of tillable I plan to mess around with. Sounds like I should just find the best looking used lifters I can and go with them.

I think I read a DickL post somewhere that said the lifters should actually be slightly convex?
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 6:06pm
Lifters have concave bottoms on them to help them turn as the cam rotates, which helps control wear
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Boss Man Boss Man wrote:

Lifters have concave bottoms on them to help them turn as the cam rotates, which helps control wear

WC/WD/WD-45 lifters should be concave when new?

Most automotive examples I looked up have a convex surface. Mine from my WD are all slightly concave and definitely showing various levels of wear... If they were originally concave that would make me feel slightly better.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 7:58pm
When I overhauled dads, I got new lifters at NAPA.   
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:00pm
On the D 15 series and smaller AC engines,what turns the lifters are that they are off center to lobes on the cam, might be that way on larger engines too. Just the nature of cam rotating will turn the lifter. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:14pm
If the lifters are concave, they are worn out.      MACK
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:28pm
When I redid my 45 I straight edged the bottom of the lifter and found they were worn. So I just glued a piece of emery cloth to a very flat 2X10 and keeping the lifter as flat as possible began sanding and checking frequently with a straight edge. Worked for me.      Leon
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

When I overhauled dads, I got new lifters at NAPA.   

Any way you'd have the part number somewhere? I've searched NAPA's website with no luck for anything tied to a WD. The only new ones I can find are from Reliance and they're in the $50 each range.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:52pm
Some valve grinders have an attachment to reface mushroom type lifters.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:53pm
Mack, thanks for the confirmation on concave being worn out. Leon I will be tempted to attempt some cleanup on these if I can't find affordable new ones.
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:57pm
There are a lot of variables, but I'll give you my two cents from my experience.  
On my 20-35 rebuild, we originally used the original worn cam, with resurfaced lifters.  That is what people told us we should do, and we didn't know any better, so we did just that.
That was NOT the thing to do!
After minimal running we pulled the engine side covers to inspect, to find the edges of several of  the lifters chipped up and you can guess where those chips go.
Long story short, we SHOULD have had the cam ground as well as the lifters.  The old funny worn cam was putting pressure on the edges of the new lifters and making them fail.  Maybe it was a fluke, but I don't think so.
Tore the engine all back down to have the cam ground, and new lifters AGAIN.  Clean out entire engine.  Very frustrating.
Take the time and $ and have both reground.  It really doesn't cost that much compared to fixing the carnage when something goes wrong.  Now you know how I know.
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:01pm
Vintage Power Wagons is your home for 218/230/265 Mopar flathead parts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzO_Oy1EMLIWVFzSHRzNjlOMWs/view

$25 per valve tappet. Loads of low mileage (under 30k) military 230 M37 engines out there for cheap parts.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

That would be slick. I have a Sioux 645L and it came with the rocker arm grinding attachment, but it doesn't look like they even made anything for lifters - at least for that model.

I was trying to think of a way to rig it up but I'm not sure I could accurately do much other than grind the bottom of the lifter flat.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 11:47pm
From Briggs & Stratton on up, flat tappets run off center of lobe so they will rotate.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

That would be slick. I have a Sioux 645L and it came with the rocker arm grinding attachment, but it doesn't look like they even made anything for lifters - at least for that model.

I was trying to think of a way to rig it up but I'm not sure I could accurately do much other than grind the bottom of the lifter flat.

My Black and Decker has that attachmemt. After using it I finish the lifter by placing it in a collar in the Bridgeport and lowering it on a lapping plate.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

My Black and Decker has that attachmemt. After using it I finish the lifter by placing it in a collar in the Bridgeport and lowering it on a lapping plate.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 2:20pm

That flat grinds the surface, or gives you a slightly convex surface?

I guess if these were flat from the factory I could handle that with my valve grinder.

Edited by wjohn - 04 Jul 2020 at 2:22pm
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 3:37pm
Slight convex is the way I have always re conditioned. They will get concave after enough dirty oil and hours of run time. The lifters out of this engine was as bad as I had ever seen them. I used a spin index on a pivot with a surface grinder in my tool shop. I used new lifters when I put a Crane ground camshaft in my one C. However my wife says I am absent minded. I tell her she is silly because I can not for the life of me remember being absent minded.

Edited by Dick L - 04 Jul 2020 at 3:52pm
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 6:20pm
Yes it grinds them flat, your engine will be happy with flat ground lifters
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:00am
I do not have any numbers. I went to a NAPA that has been in business since the 1930's. They knew which catalogue to look in. They did not come from the NAPA warehouse. Good luck with your tractor. The WD45 we have is one dad bought new. Last time I worked on the hovenor for him, I put 170 governor springs in it. It was his favorite tractor.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 12:08pm

Yes it grinds them flat, your engine will be happy with flat ground lifters

Awesome. I guess that makes sense... They start out convex, eventually get worn flat, and then wear in to concave. By at least making them flat they're probably at least half as good as new, and way better than what they look like now.

These are samples of the ones I'm working with out of my WD. They're concave by 0.002-0.003 in the centers. Some have some pretty ugly wear patterns from the lobes at 90 degree angles which tells me they weren't or haven't been rotating at some point in their lives. Those spots are worn in a little deeper. I'll play around with grinding them flat on the valve end grinding attachment on my Sioux. No Bridgeport unfortunately but I can try hand finishing them.

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

I do not have any numbers. I went to a NAPA that has been in business since the 1930's. They knew which catalogue to look in. They did not come from the NAPA warehouse. Good luck with your tractor. The WD45 we have is one dad bought new. Last time I worked on the hovenor for him, I put 170 governor springs in it. It was his favorite tractor.

Thanks Tom. I should price AGCO ones but I doubt they're much if any cheaper than the Reliance ones at $50 each. I wonder if the ones you got from NAPA were from Reliance or someone like Mahle, Sealed Power, etc. but I can't find them available anymore. As you are hinting at it might be worth stopping by a local NAPA in case they have a better way to look them up.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 5:05pm
I'd be shocked if AGCO even has any available.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:16pm
WJohn, yours are way worse than mine was. It had to be a noisy motor. I wouldn't attempt to do those by hand. But mine turned out good and still in there after several years of lite work.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:25pm
In addition wjohn I glued a piece of I think it was 400 emery, to a flat board and used both hands to keep the lifter as square as possible sanded back and forth, finished with very fine emery. Guess I was to dumb not to try it, but so far so good.    Leon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic