This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I've been talking with Nelson Muffler Co....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 5:48pm
off brand muffs are inferior.
... Hope Nelson put the same quality as original or better into the new Nelson mufflers.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Sponsored Links

Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:13pm
Is there option for the D 19 Diesel tractors?
As far making the hood for oval muffler, draw out the patter use a hole saw for the outer portion and air nibbler for the rest. Did this for my spray rig tractor
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 8:47pm
Hole saw diameter?

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 9:53pm
D-19 diesels never had a muffler.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:27pm
I thought D19 diesels had a stright pipe from the factory! Thanks Dr Allis for confirming!

JC- The paperwork Nelson sent me for the D17 muffler was dated 1962, they will go by those specs when they manufacture the mufflers. They still had most of the tooling, but a couple dies were either missing or worn out so they had to replace those. So I would think the quality would be the same for these new ones.
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:36pm
Alex, have you contacted AGCO to see if they are interested in the mufflers?  They have to buy them somewhere, might be good to buy them from you.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:37pm
That's cool Alex that they had the specs an stuff.
Reading that made me think of my dad telling me how years ago him and his buddy would go to local Chevy dealer and just buy 55 Chevy parts, just pick something dif each time. Well he got a set of fenders and there wasn't any metal at all in fender just over head light. And they said the reason was the dies were so wore out.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

But yet my question pertaining to the OP'S topic (thanks DR for the round/oval muffler decibles) is WHY the need for the NELSON MUFFLER ????
It isn't a need,it's a desire. If you ran tractors with a Nelson and then any brand X (other that a Walker WD-WD45) you would know the answer. If you ran a D17 with the oval Nelson,you would really appreciate at the end of a day of plowing. If you think a crap Stanley sounds fine ,you wouldn't understand. It's all about the sound.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 11 Jan 2020 at 10:45pm
GregStremel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregStremel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:44pm
I think it is tremendous that you got them to manufacture some new ones.

We put an oval on a series 2 D17.  We used a saber saw on the hood. That was our main field reactor back then.  It was much better for our ears.

We still have that D17 but do not use it much.  The muffler is still pretty good but I will buy a new one from you and put it in storage until needed.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:46pm
I doubt very much that AGCO would be interested. They have been selling the cheaper Stanley mufflers for 20 or 30 years or dealers have been selling Stanley's for 30 years because the Nelson mufflers cost too much. People (dealers AND customers) didn't care about originality. They just wanted a new muffler,
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 11:02pm
And didn't they hold up better too. The cheapes rot off in a few years
Don Jr NY View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Jr NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 3:34am
I would like to submit the idea of the D-19 gas muffler for your next run. Thanks. Don Jr.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 6:11am

My recommendation for the next Nelson muffler run would be for the 180/185. Why ?? Because there are THOUSANDS of them still in service yet today, and many have already had the OEM muffler replaced with a Stanley equipped with the centered and smaller outlet pipe and shorter main body. All the other A-C tractor models surviving numbers wouldn't be as great as the 180/185.

Richardmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 8:51am
Guess that why when tried to look for one I could not find it.
The one I got from Eldon the piping from the manifold to were goes out the hood could get water down the motor if sit outside and it was raining.

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

But yet my question pertaining to the OP'S topic (thanks DR for the round/oval muffler decibles) is WHY the need for the NELSON MUFFLER ????
It isn't a need,it's a desire. If you ran tractors with a Nelson and then any brand X (other that a Walker WD-WD45) you would know the answer. If you ran a D17 with the oval Nelson,you would really appreciate at the end of a day of plowing. If you think a crap Stanley sounds fine ,you wouldn't understand. It's all about the sound.

Our gas D17, series 2 if I recall, had a round muffler and ran MANY hours pulling a 4/16 semi mount plow Smile. To my knowledge, I can still hear today without "hearing aids" LOL!!
When dad made a "supposed" upgrade to a gasser  D19,that's the first we had been around an oval  muffler. Not a fair comparison in decibles as I suppose the 2 extra cylinders in the '19 might come into play Confused . I thought maybe it was a "correct" muffler to be hailed by the trailer queen/parade people for shows.
I still can't fathom the idea of cutting somewhat large holes in a hood for the sake of "sound". Thanks though for your insight.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 3:00pm
I don't know how old you are,but the noise induced hearing loss doesn't show up right away so the hearing aid comment is moot. If you ran that tractor for hours and years plowing,as you age you will be saying "huh" a lot more as time marches on. BTDT. It ain't really funny.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 5:48pm
Yea, constant ringing in the ears and everybody mumbles and can't here anyone I am talking to if there are any other people talking at the same time... Sucks and I don't hear crickets when I am even looking at them.  that sucks for others, they hear them dang crickets an it doesn't drive me nuts... but I hear the continual squeal of tinnitus hour after hour and that is no fun.
   Difference between the round muffler D17 and the 170 oval muffler was a day and night difference, you could hear the fan on the engine of the 170 instead of the crackle off the pipe on the D17/WD45.
And on the old D17 Diesel with a straight pipe, you had to wear ear plugs and ear muffs when it was working hard.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 6:17pm

Our gas D17, series 2 if I recall, had a round muffler and ran MANY hours pulling a 4/16 semi mount plow Smile. To my knowledge, I can still hear today without "hearing aids" LOL!!
When dad made a "supposed" upgrade to a gasser  D19,that's the first we had been around an oval  muffler. Not a fair comparison in decibles as I suppose the 2 extra cylinders in the '19 might come into play Confused . I thought maybe it was a "correct" muffler to be hailed by the trailer queen/parade people for shows.
I still can't fathom the idea of cutting somewhat large holes in a hood for the sake of "sound". Thanks though for your insight.

To answer your question with a simple straight answer: There is no NEED for the nelson muffler. We CHOOSE the Nelson muffler over the other options because Nelson's are the best of 3 worlds:

1. FUNCTION: They muffle the tractor exhaust better than a stanley or a straight pipe, just as toilet paper wipes your butt better than a bolt.

2. SOUND: Nelson mufflers have a unique sound compared to a Stanley. A lot of our forum members grew up on Allis tractors that had Nelson mufflers, so when they hear the "nelson sound" it is comforting. Just as you would rather hear your favorite song come on the radio, instead of your least favorite song.

3. QUALITY: Nelson mufflers last longer than the stanley ones. Either because the steel is thinner, joints are weaker, or because the paint/coating they use is inferior. Just as a steel roof lasts longer than a shingle roof.

Now there are some people who don't care about the above points. If you don't care about an item performing a task better than another item, and have complete indifference to the sound a muffler makes, and if you could care less about buying parts with a longer lifespan than others, the Nelson muffler is not for you.

Now since I have answered your question sir, would it be too much to ask for you to answer mine?: Which Nelson muffler would you like to see available next?
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

My recommendation for the next Nelson muffler run would be for the 180/185. Why ?? Because there are THOUSANDS of them still in service yet today, and many have already had the OEM muffler replaced with a Stanley equipped with the centered and smaller outlet pipe and shorter main body. All the other A-C tractor models surviving numbers wouldn't be as great as the 180/185.

I would agree. Probably would be the last muffler you would need. My 185 my uncle bought new has just shy of 3000 hours and still sports the original Nelson that came on it.

Edited by cottonpatch - 12 Jan 2020 at 6:48pm
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
CORLEWFARM View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORLEWFARM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 6:48pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Alex09(WI) Alex09(WI) wrote:

To answer your question with a simple straight answer: There is no NEED for the nelson muffler. We CHOOSE the Nelson muffler over the other options because Nelson's are the best of 3 worlds:

1. FUNCTION: They muffle the tractor exhaust better than a stanley or a straight pipe, just as toilet paper wipes your butt better than a bolt.

2. SOUND: Nelson mufflers have a unique sound compared to a Stanley. A lot of our forum members grew up on Allis tractors that had Nelson mufflers, so when they hear the "nelson sound" it is comforting. Just as you would rather hear your favorite song come on the radio, instead of your least favorite song.

3. QUALITY: Nelson mufflers last longer than the stanley ones. Either because the steel is thinner, joints are weaker, or because the paint/coating they use is inferior. Just as a steel roof lasts longer than a shingle roof.

Now there are some people who don't care about the above points. If you don't care about an item performing a task better than another item, and have complete indifference to the sound a muffler makes, and if you could care less about buying parts with a longer lifespan than others, the Nelson muffler is not for you.

Now since I have answered your question sir, would it be too much to ask for you to answer mine?: Which Nelson muffler would you like to see available next?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !! That's the type of answer I was seeking !! I applaude your tenacity to get a MAJOR manufacturer "on-board" to produce a discontinued product Smile .
To answer your ??, we run a '68 gasser 180 with an oval muffler that we replaced 15 years ago with a NAPA supplied muffler. This tractor is NEVER going to see WOT use for the rest of her days; planting/bush hog/auger duty only Wink. Again, THANKS for the definitive reasons, greatly appreciated !!

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 5:37pm

I don't know how old you are,but the noise induced hearing loss doesn't show up right away so the hearing aid comment is moot. If you ran that tractor for hours and years plowing,as you age you will be saying "huh" a lot more as time marches on. BTDT. It ain't really funny.

I will be 54 on the 27'th of this month, never said hearing loss was funny Confused. What's getting my hearing is the routers that we use on residential job sites. Would still LOVE to run a straight CHROME pipe on the XT 190 diesel pulling the White 18' disk though, it came with and has had a black,round muffler on it(don't ask me the brand) since we have owned it Big smile

Edited by FREEDGUY - 13 Jan 2020 at 5:38pm
Dean (West MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean (West MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 7:29pm

[QUOTE=FREEDGUY][QUOTE=SteveM C/IL][QUOTE=FREEDG
Which Nelson muffler would you like to see available next?

D15 SII
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Dean (West MI) Dean (West MI) wrote:

[QUOTE=FREEDGUY][QUOTE=SteveM C/IL][QUOTE=FREEDG
Which Nelson muffler would you like to see available next?

D15 SII

X2
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:57am
This is awesome that Nelson is going to be making these mufflers again. I got lucky a while back and found a NOS Nelson muffler for my early D17D. To make sure it stays looking like new, I sent it off to Jet-Hot to be ceramic coated. It cost $189 to be done, but it shouldn't ever rust or lose it's silver shine.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:53pm

I had some time today to run numbers on the potential market with each model of tractor. Now the following numbers are just my BEST GUESS, and are based off my own observations in my part of WI, and the calls i've made when I researched the D17 oval muffler. So these numbers possibly would be different in other parts of the USA. I do need to point out that during my research for the nelson mufflers, the consensus is that 99% of guys who use their tractors for farming or who work their tractors, will not fork out the additional money for a Nelson muffler and will instead put a stanley on and keep working.

D10, D12, D14, and D15 series I gas tractors that used muffler A-C #227240/233450: Total made is 47,150.
Out of the total, I guess 50% are still floating around not in a salvage yard, or scrapped. Which makes the total remaining: 23,575.
Out of those tractors, I guess 75% are non-working tractors or restored which might get a Nelson muffler. So the number of prospective Neslon muffler buyers is 17,681.

D19 Gas tractors that used muffler A-C #246130 total production was 7000
50% are still floating around not in a salvage yard, or scrapped: 3500
I guess 75% of those are not working tractors, which might get a Nelson. So D19 Nelson muffler prospective buyers: 2625

D17 Late GAS tractors total using muffler A-C#246129: 39000
50% not in salvage yard/scrapped: 19,500
60% non working tractors/ potential Nelson buyers: 11,700

D17 late Diesel tractors total using muffler A-C #237290: 7990
50% not in salvage/scrapped: 3995
75% non working tractors/potential nelson buyers: 2996 <-----\
                                                                                             \
D15 Series II Diesel tractors using muffler A-C #237290: 1100     |
50% not in salvage yards/scrapped: 550                                    /
90% non working tractors/potentail nelson buyers: 495+ 2996--/ (same muffler) =3491

D15 Series II Gas tractors using muffler A-C #237290: 11,300
50% not in salvage yards/scrapped: 5650
75% non working tractors/potential nelson buyers: 4237

D15 series I Diesel Tractors using muffler A-C #234493: 950
50% not in salvage yards/scrapped: 475
90% do not work for a living and are collector owned/potential nelson buyers: 427 <
                                                                                                                        \
D17 early diesel tractors using muffler A-C # 234493: 6075                                    |
50% are not in salvage yards/scrapped: 3037                                                        |
90% are collector owned/non-working tractors/potential nelson buyers: 2734+427--/ (same muffler) =3161

170/175 Diesel tractors using muffler A_C #250049: 8500
70% are not in salvage/scrapped: 5950
30% are collector owned/not used as a farm tractor: 1785

170/175 Gast tractors using muffler A-C #249324: 6000
70% are not in salvage yards/scrapped: 4200
50% are not used for farm work/potential nelson buyers: 2100

180/185 tractors (gas or Diesel) using muffler A-C #248883: 27000
50% are not in salvage yards/scrapped: 13,500
30% are collector owned/non-working tractors/potential Nelson buyers: 4050

I could use more data so please continue to chime in if you would be interested in a nelson muffler for a certain tractor. THANK YOU for everyone's responses so far!!!   Smile

Edited by Alex09(WI) - 14 Jan 2020 at 1:05pm
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:00pm
I'd go for a D15 Series 2 gas, and a D17 Series 4 diesel.
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:44pm
And for a D14
wayne IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:05pm
Have a series 1 D17 diesel, if you end up getting any mufflers made that could be adapted.  I'd be interested since I can build and attach the flange.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:33am
Why cut a hole in the hood? Just put a longer pipe up through the hood and clamp muffler to that. You can't care about originality too much if you're using the wrong muffler and you can always put back the original style and have the original uncut hood later if you start feeling like an originalist. IH did that from the factory, extending a pipe through the hood with a visible clamp holding the muffler all above the hood.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic