Print Page | Close Window

I've been talking with Nelson Muffler Co....

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Farm Equipment
Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=166328
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 8:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: I've been talking with Nelson Muffler Co....
Posted By: Alex09(WI)
Subject: I've been talking with Nelson Muffler Co....
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 1:51pm

I have been talking with the Nelson Muffler Co. (Nelson Global Products) for the past couple weeks about producing a run of obsolete mufflers. I chose the oval muffler for a 170 Gas tractor to try to get produced. The reason I chose the 170 gas muffler (A-C #249324) is because it is extremely close, in dimensions, to the late D17 oval muffler (246129), the 170/175 diesel muffler (250049), D19 gas muffler (246130), and 180/185 muffler (248883). And therefore would require very little modification to fit one of the above tractors. Granted, i'm sure the differences are supported by reason, but this solution is a compromise because ordering a production run for each of the 5 different mufflers wouldn't be feasible. I have drawn schematics for the mufflers so you can see how close they are. I will be working with a local shop to get the mufflers modified with a different input pipe diameter and output pipe diameter if necessary for the different applications.

Nelson ultimately said they would be willing to make a production run of 100 mufflers of the A-C #249324. I spoke to them this morning and they are going to get back to me with a cost per muffler and a confirmation that they still have the tooling to make them.

The Nelson for WD45/D17 I can get for $125, so I estimate the cost for this newer oval one at around $200 per muffler. A run of 100 mufflers at $200 per muffler is more than most can afford, so it boils down to this: I need to get orders for 70-75 mufflers to go through with this order.

This post is just to get the word out that there might be light at the end of the tunnel for these mufflers. Do you think that I can get the 70-75 orders necessary? Would you be okay with putting this muffler on a D19 or 175 diesel if it was modified to have the proper inlet and outlet pipes? Keep in mind the oval body size and baffles will be of the specs of the muffler that I will have produced. Any comments, suggestions, ideas, etc.  are valued from members with more experience and wisdom than me

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY

Replies:
Posted By: Dave Wisc.
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:54pm
Ok if that 200 price will include the right pipe for the D17 series 3 and the sound is correct I would buy one.

Posted By: JimIA
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 3:09pm
If you can get an original style Nelson muffler for the late D17s for $200 you will sell your first 100 very fast. 
Just had a customer ask if there were any available the other day.

Jim

-------------
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth

Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 4:58pm
Have you mentioned the CA muffler? The same CA muffler would fit the late B tractors, early D10/12 tractors, D14 and early D15 tractors without any modification on the entire group.

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY

Posted By: DCAC
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:52pm
Would it fit a series 4 diesel?

Posted By: AllisFreak MN
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 5:54pm
Will the outlet be in the center or offset. I think the original ones were offset, no?

-------------
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2

Posted By: Tracy Martin TN
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 6:02pm
I know the D15 oval was offset and I think the 170 was too. Tracy

-------------
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!

Posted By: Ryan Renko
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:03pm
I am following this post because I will need a muffler for my D17 IV gas. I thought a post was here about a week or two ago that had a link to were Nelson Global still had these mufflers? Maybe they could be sold out? Anyway, I would definitely buy one. Ryan

Posted By: MDWilliams338
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:09pm
I too am actually in the market, for a newly acquired D19 that most definitely is in need of a correct muffler....in short,I’m in👍

-------------
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:11pm
If it's the original style with the offset outlet I would buy one.

-------------
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2

Posted By: JC-WI
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 7:59pm
Alex, my suggestion is make all the bases 2 3/8" and then supply a bushing to slip over the pipe on the manifold. 
  I bought a cheap stanely muffler off Ebay one time and it was for a 170/175 diesel muff...  I made a bushing for it and slipped over manifold pipe and then slipped the muffler over that and been on for many years... and the 2.25 od top side didn't really change the sound that much...Figured the engine breathed easier.   Suppose Nelson would make them out of Stainless steel? might sound tinnier and turn blue but... might not rust out ever again.

Tracey, some were... some were put on to the front and some were put on towards the back and then they had the center ones too...  Our 170 was to the back... my uncles was to the front... and the neighbors IV was to the front...

And the series IV...

-------------
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."

Posted By: Pat the Plumber CIL
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:12pm
Count me in Alex , I would take a chance at a correct Nelson muffler . If they look , sound good I know they would sell fast . I would think some vendors on here would be interested .

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:15pm
I am talking about the inlet, on the bottom. I know the tops were offset. I have and old one at the farm. I remember Skyhighballon and myself measured it. Tracy

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:38pm

The 180/185 mufflers and D15/D17 diesel mufflers are also close in dimensions and I might be able to offer them also.

I know that some mufflers originally had the offset such as D17 gas, 170 gas, 180/185 tractors.  I am NOT 100% sure that any of the oval mufflers originally had centered outlets, D17/D15 diesel maybe, 170/175 diesel maybe.

I do know it boils down to which tooling and dies Nelson still has on hand. If they have the offset dies, thats what they will make. If they have the tooling for the centered outlets, it is what it is.

While I will be modifying the diameter of the inlet and outlet, I do not think I will be modifying the LOCATION of the oulets. I also do not think I will be changing the length/height of the oval body, which means that if your tractor had the oval body that is a different height than 16", it MIGHT NOT sound exactly like one from the 60's even though the inlet and outlet diameters will be modified for the application. I want to be up front with everyone, so no one is expecting something different.

For example: the D15 series II muffler has a body length of 12.5" and inlet/outlet dia. of 1.75". I can change the inlet and outlet pipes to 1.75" but since the body is 16" long on the mufflers that are getting ordered, it won't get changed to the 12.5" that it is supposed to be. Since that is so far off (3.5") I won't be offering a D15 muffler since it would obviously be noticably different.

The 170/175 diesel muffler body is 18" long, which is only 2" longer than the body of the  170/175 gas muffler i hope to order. That would be an okay compromise for most folks I hope because, like I said before, it is not feasable order 100 each of 5 different mufflers to offer perfectly original ones for each tractor. 

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 7:29pm
Alex, "I am NOT 100% sure that any of the oval mufflers originally had centered outlet"
 From looking at pictures in old allis lit.,  they had outlets in the center too for many of the tractors... Have a few pics with the outlet almost on the edge and ran across one picture where the outlet is just a bit offset just enough to miss the center pipe. Almost like some of these muffs were in the experimental stages.

-------------

Posted By: ACinSC
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 8:29pm
I priced a Nelson for my D 15 in August . It was $560 . Sounds like a very good deal .

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 7:07am
One-Seventy/175 gas mufflers were identical to D-17 S3/S4 except for the length AND diameter of the offset outlet pipe, which is a little larger diameter.  I'd have no issue with buying a One-Seventy/175 gas muffler for the D-17's and just whack off the extra tail pipe length and the slightly larger diameter would never be noticed by 90% of on-lookers. Engine would breather easier anyway.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Alex09(WI) Alex09(WI) wrote:

The 180/185 mufflers and D15/D17 diesel mufflers are also close in dimensions and I might be able to offer them also.

I know that some mufflers originally had the offset such as D17 gas, 170 gas, 180/185 tractors.  I am NOT 100% sure that any of the oval mufflers originally had centered outlets, D17/D15 diesel maybe, 170/175 diesel maybe.

I do know it boils down to which tooling and dies Nelson still has on hand. If they have the offset dies, thats what they will make. If they have the tooling for the centered outlets, it is what it is.

While I will be modifying the diameter of the inlet and outlet, I do not think I will be modifying the LOCATION of the oulets. I also do not think I will be changing the length/height of the oval body, which means that if your tractor had the oval body that is a different height than 16", it MIGHT NOT sound exactly like one from the 60's even though the inlet and outlet diameters will be modified for the application. I want to be up front with everyone, so no one is expecting something different.

For example: the D15 series II muffler has a body length of 12.5" and inlet/outlet dia. of 1.75". I can change the inlet and outlet pipes to 1.75" but since the body is 16" long on the mufflers that are getting ordered, it won't get changed to the 12.5" that it is supposed to be. Since that is so far off (3.5") I won't be offering a D15 muffler since it would obviously be noticeably different.

The 170/175 diesel muffler body is 18" long, which is only 2" longer than the body of the  170/175 gas muffler i hope to order. That would be an okay compromise for most folks I hope because, like I said before, it is not feasable order 100 each of 5 different mufflers to offer perfectly original ones for each tractor. 
Alex, if you are going to the trouble of having them made, I would get correct ones done. Might team up with several suppliers to get the quantity up to feasible numbers. Dies are not normally easily changed in those increments. If Nelson has the dies, get the correct ones.It will pay out in the long run.  JMHO Tracy

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 12:47pm
I'd be interested in one for a series 4 diesel and perhaps for a series 4 gas too.

Posted By: garden_guy
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 7:04pm
This is awesome. I sprung for a true Nelson for the WD and the build quality is fantastic. Best of luck getting this run made!

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Alex, if you are going to the trouble of having them made, I would get correct ones done. Might team up with several suppliers to get the quantity up to feasible numbers. Dies are not normally easily changed in those increments. If Nelson has the dies, get the correct ones.It will pay out in the long run.  JMHO Tracy
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tracy- So you are saying I should consider getting a run of 100 mufflers for every different application? like 100 of late D17/170/175 gas, 100 of D15 series II gas, 100 of D15/D17 Diesel, 100 of 180/185, 100 of D19, and 100 of 170/175 diesel.

In a perfect world that would work. Of course the Nelson Muffler Co. would have to have the tooling/dies for these also. But if they did have the tooling, I can see this happening one of 3 ways:
a)   I get enough preorders, like 70-75 of each style muffler, and then have Nelson make a run of 100 in each design. And if I can't get the 70-75 orders, then contact some parts suppliers if they would buy some?
b)   I take each style muffler one at a time. First do the late D17/170/175 gas style (seems to be the most popular), get the orders, pay for the 100 mufflers, and deliver the orders. Then do the next style D15/D17 diesel for example. And don't do my current "modify the inlet/outlet to application" style of current thinking

But to think I can sell 70-75 of each style muffler might be pushing it. That would be 600 mufflers at once, unless I did one style at a time. And even then, the odd ones like D15 series 2 gas, and D19- My personal opinion is I don't think I could get 75 orders for those specific mufflers, which means only the more popular mufflers would go through I would kind of like to give choice "b" a try though. That would save the extra dicking around cost of modifing the inlet/outlet pipes.

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Alex, "I am NOT 100% sure that any of the oval mufflers originally had centered outlet"
 From looking at pictures in old allis lit.,  they had outlets in the center too for many of the tractors... Have a few pics with the outlet almost on the edge and ran across one picture where the outlet is just a bit offset just enough to miss the center pipe. Almost like some of these muffs were in the experimental stages.

I am sure on the 175 diesel now, my original operator's manual has a pic with the centered outlet. I also remember seeing a d17 diesel muffler at Alex (wi)'s stand at the Union Grove GOTO this past september- I believe that muffler had a centered outlet.

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 8:18pm
So to summarize what I have observed as the consensus here:
1)  If the original muffler had an offset, only new mufflers with the offset would be worth getting made.
2)  If the original muffler did not have an offset, it would still be worth getting made because it outlasts the Stanley and has the "Nelson- Music to the ear" sound

example: Nobody would buy a new Nelson for there D17 series IV gas if it has a centered exhaust outlet, even if it sounded like a Nelson

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:17pm
Alex I would try and talk with a few vendors on here and try and get some input on demand . I would think if they were correct , high quality , and sounded good they would sell like hot cakes .Oval NOS Nelson mufflers at the Missouri Swap Meets do not last long , any make or model.

-------------
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2019 at 9:48pm
Alex, From various pieces of literature, I see BOTH the offset and center mufflers used on the D17 IV, 170 and the 175, both gas and diesel... and most of them had center pipes in the pics...
 So... center pipes would be just as correct as the offset pipes... just the fact I know our 170 gas came with offset to the rear
  Guess I would find out what dies/tooling Nelson has left and figure it from there.
 As for the 180/185, All pictures in literatures I seen were offset, gas and diesel..

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 8:00am
I've never seen any series 3 or 4 D-17 gas with a Nelson centered outlet muffler in real life. There may have been some pictures with them, but remember prototype pics don't  always mean that is what production was. Some Nebraska Test pics could be used to verify. I looked at an S-3 last spring that only had 5,000 hrs on it with an original Nelson muffler and it was offset. Also, if there was an early run of S-3 D-17 gassers with a center outlet, they were soon superceded by a replacement muffler that was offset. There was never a One-Seventy or 175 gasser with a centered outlet.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 8:17am

Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Thanks Tracy- So you are saying I should consider getting a run of 100 mufflers for every different application? like 100 of late D17/170/175 gas, 100 of D15 series II gas, 100 of D15/D17 Diesel, 100 of 180/185, 100 of D19, and 100 of 170/175 diesel.

In a perfect world that would work. Of course the Nelson Muffler Co. would have to have the tooling/dies for these also. But if they did have the tooling, I can see this happening one of 3 ways:
a)   I get enough preorders, like 70-75 of each style muffler, and then have Nelson make a run of 100 in each design. And if I can't get the 70-75 orders, then contact some parts suppliers if they would buy some?
b)   I take each style muffler one at a time. First do the late D17/170/175 gas style (seems to be the most popular), get the orders, pay for the 100 mufflers, and deliver the orders. Then do the next style D15/D17 diesel for example. And don't do my current "modify the inlet/outlet to application" style of current thinking

But to think I can sell 70-75 of each style muffler might be pushing it. That would be 600 mufflers at once, unless I did one style at a time. And even then, the odd ones like D15 series 2 gas, and D19- My personal opinion is I don't think I could get 75 orders for those specific mufflers, which means only the more popular mufflers would go through I would kind of like to give choice "b" a try though. That would save the extra dicking around cost of modifing the inlet/outlet pipes.
[/QUOTE] Alex, what I meant was call around to others that sell them and pool your resources. I understand you can't sell that many by yourself. But if you, Steiner , DJ'S and others could easily. Purest won't buy it if it is not pure, others won't buy it if it cost as much as pure! HTH Tracy

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 2:17pm
As far as D17 gassers go, i distinctly remember the sound of the original factory Nelson oval with the offset outlet. The sound of the Stanley's with center outlet is nothing special and one can be picked up at most fleet supply stores for 60 bucks. I think the offset had something to do with the Nelson sound, maybe because the exhaust couldn't just flow straight up and out. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm sticking to this theory.

-------------

Posted By: WF owner
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2019 at 7:21pm
I would be very interested in a Nelson muffler for my gas D-17 IV.

Posted By: plummerscarin
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:58am
I have a long way to go but that would help in this restoration project.
I am interested. Don't know where dad got this muffler. Too young to remember the details.

Posted By: Farrell(Utah)
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:47am
If these become available, I would like two that fit a WD45.

-------------
A(1937), 2 G, 2 WD45 diesels, 6 WD45 gas, UC, 2 WD, D17 gas, WF, Farmall 400, D12, Kubota B3030

Posted By: SteveM C/IL
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:49am
That muffler won't fit if you do a"restoration"

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Farrell(Utah) Farrell(Utah) wrote:

If these become available, I would like two that fit a WD45.

I believe the earlier round Nelson mufflers are available now . It is the oval ones that are not being produced by Nelson. I bought one from Rick Corder,Mo. a few years ago

-------------

Posted By: Clay
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 12:20pm
Price of the round Nelson mufflers for a D-17?

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 4:09pm
I've got some dimensions from a 180/185 OEM muffler. Total overall height is 36 inches. A 15 inch tailpipe, a 3 inch inlet pipe and an 18 inch main body. The outlet pipe is 2 1/4" I.D. and the inlet pipe is 2 3/8" I.D.   I'll try and get a D-17 series 4 muffler measurement tomorrow. I do know for sure that the tailpipe on the S-3 and S-4 is smaller in diameter than the 170-175. I think it's 1 7/8" while the 170-175 are 2 inches.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Price of the round Nelson mufflers for a D-17?

The WD45 gas & diesel and early D17 Nelson mufflers are still available. This muffler (pn 229531) fits WD45 gas/diesel tractors and D17 gas tractor up to serial #24001. I sell this muffler for $135 + shipping. Like Pat said another member Rick Corder has them also. Rick is in Missouri, I am in Wisconsin, so Rick would be closer to you in KS.

edit-added pic

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I've got some dimensions from a 180/185 OEM muffler. Total overall height is 36 inches. A 15 inch tailpipe, a 3 inch inlet pipe and an 18 inch main body. The outlet pipe is 2 1/4" I.D. and the inlet pipe is 2 3/8" I.D.   I'll try and get a D-17 series 4 muffler measurement tomorrow. I do know for sure that the tailpipe on the S-3 and S-4 is smaller in diameter than the 170-175. I think it's 1 7/8" while the 170-175 are 2 inches.

Thanks for getting some original measurements Dr! I will add that to my notes! From my research I believe the original D17 outlet pipe is 7.75" long and has an O.D. of 1 5/8". The original 170/175 gas mufflers outlet pipe is 15 3/8" long and has an O.D of 1 7/8" (Thank you GreenOrange for 170 specs). Will wait to see if your measurements confirm the late D17 gas muffler sizes.

I don't have any D17d/D19 specs so if someone has those I will be interested to hear them. Would be awesome if D15d/D17d and D19gas/diesel were the same or similar, I could combine those into the same run of 100.

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 7:17pm
Alex, is that muffler for the WD45/D17 straight thru and blocked/baffled? Just wondering because I have seen them both ways just don't remember what brands they were.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 7:42pm
Nelson 45 is straight through...at least mine is

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:28pm
That is a 180/185 muffler.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:34pm
I measured the D-17 S-4 I grew up on, and it is the same 18 inch oval body as a 180/185. The inlet is 2 1/2" tall and 2 inch O.D. and the offset outlet is 7 inches tall and 1 1/2" I.D. or 1 5/8" O.D. , which makes overall height 27.5 inches.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 9:10pm
THE NELSON MUFFLERS ARE COMING!!!

I decided to go with mufflers for the late D17 gas tractors ser#42000+. These are the original style with offset outlet. The 3rd pic in JC(WI)'s post on the first page shows what these mufflers will look like. Dr Allis's post above states the dimensions. And, wait it gets better! My estimated price above was $200 per muffler, but these will be only $157 per muffler!!!!!!! :) I will post an add in the classifieds with more details for those who want these for their D17 gassers.

I would like to thank those who responded and voiced their opinions. Getting that input helped me to decide in what direction I will go with these mufflers. This run will be the D17 oval gas muffler only. If this goes well, I would like to order another Nelson muffler run for a different model tractor, perhaps the D15 or D17 diesel muffler or the 170/175 gas muffler (which is slightly different than this D17 one). Please give me your feedback on which Nelson muffler I should try next!

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:43am
How difficult would it be to convert the sheet metal on a Series I and II D-17, to accept the oval muffler used on Series III & IV?   

Posted By: JayIN
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 5:46pm
Sabre saw with a metal blade.

-------------
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:23pm
A true series 1 uses the same muffler as a WD45, so there is no pipe on the exhaust manifold for the oval muffler to slide on to. A true series 2 does have a pipe and the oval hole in the hood is all it should take. The oval muffler inlet is "on-center" so the marking out of the oval hole is easy.

Posted By: FREEDGUY
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by JayIN JayIN wrote:

Sabre saw with a metal blade.

That sounds a little barbaric IMO Cry . A little like a square peg into a round hole ??

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:46pm
Then, how would you cut an oval hole into a D-17 hood ??

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 7:05pm
I wouldn't. Would be like the guys blasting 10 inch holes in their diesel pick-up truck beds behind the cab to I "guess" look cool. Again, JMO. I must admit though, what is "wrong" with the available round muffler ??

Posted By: Lonn
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 7:06pm
Torch

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:29pm
I'd prolly make a good template, and use a sheet metal nibbler, them hoods is right thick...Wink

-------------
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:53pm
The oval muffler was quieter than any round muffler with minimal to zero power loss. If you ran an oval muffler 8 hrs on a disc or a plow, you appreciated the benefit over the round muffler.

Posted By: Mikez
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 11:00pm
Our early 17 has an oval muffler. I'll ask dad if gramp cut the hole or who did. Guess the governor went screwy and over revved and broke crank. Both my gramp and great uncle aren't with us anymore so I can't ask how it exactly happened. It was back when allis was still, and gramp got a new engine from allis which made it a latter exhaust manifold.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 7:19am
Back to the original subject of this post, Great job by Alex convincing Nelson to produce another round of the elusive original D17 oval mufflers. One question for you Alex; I assume they will be painted black as were the originals?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 9:11am
Alex, what happened to your first diagram picture?

Was kinda hoping the 170 would have been the chosen muffler and the height of the exhaust pipe could be cut off to desired length. But a fellow could slip another pipe over if he really wanted to get the ex. up higher.

Lonn, I wouldn't use a torch, that would warp the metal... but a plasma cutter would maybe do the job in a sweet order, providin the hand is steady. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 9:39am
Yes jd your right, sorry for getting off track. Like said that is assume to get them to produce more.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 9:40am
The 170/175 muffler outlet is not only longer, but it is larger in diameter over the D-17 S-3/4 muffler.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

Back to the original subject of this post, Great job by Alex convincing Nelson to produce another round of the elusive original D17 oval mufflers. One question for you Alex; I assume they will be painted black as were the originals?

Yes, the paperwork from the company states:    FINISH: O-02497 BLACK PAINT

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Alex, what happened to your first diagram picture?

Was kinda hoping the 170 would have been the chosen muffler and the height of the exhaust pipe could be cut off to desired length. But a fellow could slip another pipe over if he really wanted to get the ex. up higher.

Lonn, I wouldn't use a torch, that would warp the metal... but a plasma cutter would maybe do the job in a sweet order, providing the hand is steady. LOL

JC- I deleted my sketched drawings because I had used measurements off the stanley mufflers and they are not the same as the Nelson measurements.

Although I didn't choose the 170/175 gas muffler for this run, I am leaning toward ordering that one next, unless a different muffler would be in higher demand.

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Posted By: cottonpatch
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 1:59pm
I’m in on a 170/175 gas muffler, and 185 muffler when you get to that point.

-------------
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 5:22pm
But yet my question pertaining to the OP'S topic (thanks DR for the round/oval muffler decibles) is WHY the need for the NELSON MUFFLER ????

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 5:48pm
off brand muffs are inferior.
... Hope Nelson put the same quality as original or better into the new Nelson mufflers.

-------------

Posted By: Richardmo
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:13pm
Is there option for the D 19 Diesel tractors?
As far making the hood for oval muffler, draw out the patter use a hole saw for the outer portion and air nibbler for the rest. Did this for my spray rig tractor

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 8:47pm
Hole saw diameter?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 9:53pm
D-19 diesels never had a muffler.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:27pm
I thought D19 diesels had a stright pipe from the factory! Thanks Dr Allis for confirming!

JC- The paperwork Nelson sent me for the D17 muffler was dated 1962, they will go by those specs when they manufacture the mufflers. They still had most of the tooling, but a couple dies were either missing or worn out so they had to replace those. So I would think the quality would be the same for these new ones.

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:36pm
Alex, have you contacted AGCO to see if they are interested in the mufflers?  They have to buy them somewhere, might be good to buy them from you.

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:37pm
That's cool Alex that they had the specs an stuff.
Reading that made me think of my dad telling me how years ago him and his buddy would go to local Chevy dealer and just buy 55 Chevy parts, just pick something dif each time. Well he got a set of fenders and there wasn't any metal at all in fender just over head light. And they said the reason was the dies were so wore out.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

But yet my question pertaining to the OP'S topic (thanks DR for the round/oval muffler decibles) is WHY the need for the NELSON MUFFLER ????
It isn't a need,it's a desire. If you ran tractors with a Nelson and then any brand X (other that a Walker WD-WD45) you would know the answer. If you ran a D17 with the oval Nelson,you would really appreciate at the end of a day of plowing. If you think a crap Stanley sounds fine ,you wouldn't understand. It's all about the sound.

Posted By: GregStremel
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:44pm
I think it is tremendous that you got them to manufacture some new ones.

We put an oval on a series 2 D17.  We used a saber saw on the hood. That was our main field reactor back then.  It was much better for our ears.

We still have that D17 but do not use it much.  The muffler is still pretty good but I will buy a new one from you and put it in storage until needed.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 10:46pm
I doubt very much that AGCO would be interested. They have been selling the cheaper Stanley mufflers for 20 or 30 years or dealers have been selling Stanley's for 30 years because the Nelson mufflers cost too much. People (dealers AND customers) didn't care about originality. They just wanted a new muffler,

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 11:02pm
And didn't they hold up better too. The cheapes rot off in a few years

Posted By: Don Jr NY
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 3:34am
I would like to submit the idea of the D-19 gas muffler for your next run. Thanks. Don Jr.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 6:11am

My recommendation for the next Nelson muffler run would be for the 180/185. Why ?? Because there are THOUSANDS of them still in service yet today, and many have already had the OEM muffler replaced with a Stanley equipped with the centered and smaller outlet pipe and shorter main body. All the other A-C tractor models surviving numbers wouldn't be as great as the 180/185.

Posted By: Richardmo
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 8:51am
Guess that why when tried to look for one I could not find it.
The one I got from Eldon the piping from the manifold to were goes out the hood could get water down the motor if sit outside and it was raining.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

It isn't a need,it's a desire. If you ran tractors with a Nelson and then any brand X (other that a Walker WD-WD45) you would know the answer. If you ran a D17 with the oval Nelson,you would really appreciate at the end of a day of plowing. If you think a crap Stanley sounds fine ,you wouldn't understand. It's all about the sound.

Our gas D17, series 2 if I recall, had a round muffler and ran MANY hours pulling a 4/16 semi mount plow Smile. To my knowledge, I can still hear today without "hearing aids" LOL!!
When dad made a "supposed" upgrade to a gasser  D19,that's the first we had been around an oval  muffler. Not a fair comparison in decibles as I suppose the 2 extra cylinders in the '19 might come into play Confused . I thought maybe it was a "correct" muffler to be hailed by the trailer queen/parade people for shows.
I still can't fathom the idea of cutting somewhat large holes in a hood for the sake of "sound". Thanks though for your insight.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 3:00pm
I don't know how old you are,but the noise induced hearing loss doesn't show up right away so the hearing aid comment is moot. If you ran that tractor for hours and years plowing,as you age you will be saying "huh" a lot more as time marches on. BTDT. It ain't really funny.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 5:48pm
Yea, constant ringing in the ears and everybody mumbles and can't here anyone I am talking to if there are any other people talking at the same time... Sucks and I don't hear crickets when I am even looking at them.  that sucks for others, they hear them dang crickets an it doesn't drive me nuts... but I hear the continual squeal of tinnitus hour after hour and that is no fun.
   Difference between the round muffler D17 and the 170 oval muffler was a day and night difference, you could hear the fan on the engine of the 170 instead of the crackle off the pipe on the D17/WD45.
And on the old D17 Diesel with a straight pipe, you had to wear ear plugs and ear muffs when it was working hard.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 6:17pm

Our gas D17, series 2 if I recall, had a round muffler and ran MANY hours pulling a 4/16 semi mount plow Smile. To my knowledge, I can still hear today without "hearing aids" LOL!!
When dad made a "supposed" upgrade to a gasser  D19,that's the first we had been around an oval  muffler. Not a fair comparison in decibles as I suppose the 2 extra cylinders in the '19 might come into play Confused . I thought maybe it was a "correct" muffler to be hailed by the trailer queen/parade people for shows.
I still can't fathom the idea of cutting somewhat large holes in a hood for the sake of "sound". Thanks though for your insight.

To answer your question with a simple straight answer: There is no NEED for the nelson muffler. We CHOOSE the Nelson muffler over the other options because Nelson's are the best of 3 worlds:

1. FUNCTION: They muffle the tractor exhaust better than a stanley or a straight pipe, just as toilet paper wipes your butt better than a bolt.

2. SOUND: Nelson mufflers have a unique sound compared to a Stanley. A lot of our forum members grew up on Allis tractors that had Nelson mufflers, so when they hear the "nelson sound" it is comforting. Just as you would rather hear your favorite song come on the radio, instead of your least favorite song.

3. QUALITY: Nelson mufflers last longer than the stanley ones. Either because the steel is thinner, joints are weaker, or because the paint/coating they use is inferior. Just as a steel roof lasts longer than a shingle roof.

Now there are some people who don't care about the above points. If you don't care about an item performing a task better than another item, and have complete indifference to the sound a muffler makes, and if you could care less about buying parts with a longer lifespan than others, the Nelson muffler is not for you.

Now since I have answered your question sir, would it be too much to ask for you to answer mine?: Which Nelson muffler would you like to see available next?

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Posted By: cottonpatch
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

My recommendation for the next Nelson muffler run would be for the 180/185. Why ?? Because there are THOUSANDS of them still in service yet today, and many have already had the OEM muffler replaced with a Stanley equipped with the centered and smaller outlet pipe and shorter main body. All the other A-C tractor models surviving numbers wouldn't be as great as the 180/185.

I would agree. Probably would be the last muffler you would need. My 185 my uncle bought new has just shy of 3000 hours and still sports the original Nelson that came on it.

-------------
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040

Posted By: CORLEWFARM
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 6:48pm

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 5:29pm

To answer your question with a simple straight answer: There is no NEED for the nelson muffler. We CHOOSE the Nelson muffler over the other options because Nelson's are the best of 3 worlds:

1. FUNCTION: They muffle the tractor exhaust better than a stanley or a straight pipe, just as toilet paper wipes your butt better than a bolt.

2. SOUND: Nelson mufflers have a unique sound compared to a Stanley. A lot of our forum members grew up on Allis tractors that had Nelson mufflers, so when they hear the "nelson sound" it is comforting. Just as you would rather hear your favorite song come on the radio, instead of your least favorite song.

3. QUALITY: Nelson mufflers last longer than the stanley ones. Either because the steel is thinner, joints are weaker, or because the paint/coating they use is inferior. Just as a steel roof lasts longer than a shingle roof.

Now there are some people who don't care about the above points. If you don't care about an item performing a task better than another item, and have complete indifference to the sound a muffler makes, and if you could care less about buying parts with a longer lifespan than others, the Nelson muffler is not for you.

Now since I have answered your question sir, would it be too much to ask for you to answer mine?: Which Nelson muffler would you like to see available next?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !! That's the type of answer I was seeking !! I applaude your tenacity to get a MAJOR manufacturer "on-board" to produce a discontinued product Smile .
To answer your ??, we run a '68 gasser 180 with an oval muffler that we replaced 15 years ago with a NAPA supplied muffler. This tractor is NEVER going to see WOT use for the rest of her days; planting/bush hog/auger duty only Wink. Again, THANKS for the definitive reasons, greatly appreciated !!

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 5:37pm

I don't know how old you are,but the noise induced hearing loss doesn't show up right away so the hearing aid comment is moot. If you ran that tractor for hours and years plowing,as you age you will be saying "huh" a lot more as time marches on. BTDT. It ain't really funny.

I will be 54 on the 27'th of this month, never said hearing loss was funny Confused. What's getting my hearing is the routers that we use on residential job sites. Would still LOVE to run a straight CHROME pipe on the XT 190 diesel pulling the White 18' disk though, it came with and has had a black,round muffler on it(don't ask me the brand) since we have owned it Big smile

Posted By: Dean (West MI)
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 7:29pm

[QUOTE=FREEDGUY][QUOTE=SteveM C/IL][QUOTE=FREEDG
Which Nelson muffler would you like to see available next?

D15 SII

Posted By: Kenny L.
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Dean (West MI) Dean (West MI) wrote:

[QUOTE=FREEDGUY][QUOTE=SteveM C/IL][QUOTE=FREEDG
Which Nelson muffler would you like to see available next?

D15 SII

X2

Posted By: Brian Jasper co. Ia
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:57am
This is awesome that Nelson is going to be making these mufflers again. I got lucky a while back and found a NOS Nelson muffler for my early D17D. To make sure it stays looking like new, I sent it off to Jet-Hot to be ceramic coated. It cost $189 to be done, but it shouldn't ever rust or lose it's silver shine.

-------------
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:53pm

I had some time today to run numbers on the potential market with each model of tractor. Now the following numbers are just my BEST GUESS, and are based off my own observations in my part of WI, and the calls i've made when I researched the D17 oval muffler. So these numbers possibly would be different in other parts of the USA. I do need to point out that during my research for the nelson mufflers, the consensus is that 99% of guys who use their tractors for farming or who work their tractors, will not fork out the additional money for a Nelson muffler and will instead put a stanley on and keep working.

D10, D12, D14, and D15 series I gas tractors that used muffler A-C #227240/233450: Total made is 47,150.
Out of the total, I guess 50% are still floating around not in a salvage yard, or scrapped. Which makes the total remaining: 23,575.
Out of those tractors, I guess 75% are non-working tractors or restored which might get a Nelson muffler. So the number of prospective Neslon muffler buyers is 17,681.

D19 Gas tractors that used muffler A-C #246130 total production was 7000
50% are still floating around not in a salvage yard, or scrapped: 3500
I guess 75% of those are not working tractors, which might get a Nelson. So D19 Nelson muffler prospective buyers: 2625

D17 Late GAS tractors total using muffler A-C#246129: 39000
50% not in salvage yard/scrapped: 19,500
60% non working tractors/ potential Nelson buyers: 11,700

D17 late Diesel tractors total using muffler A-C #237290: 7990
50% not in salvage/scrapped: 3995
75% non working tractors/potential nelson buyers: 2996 <-----\
                                                                                             \
D15 Series II Diesel tractors using muffler A-C #237290: 1100     |
50% not in salvage yards/scrapped: 550                                    /
90% non working tractors/potentail nelson buyers: 495+ 2996--/ (same muffler) =3491

D15 Series II Gas tractors using muffler A-C #237290: 11,300
50% not in salvage yards/scrapped: 5650
75% non working tractors/potential nelson buyers: 4237

D15 series I Diesel Tractors using muffler A-C #234493: 950
50% not in salvage yards/scrapped: 475
90% do not work for a living and are collector owned/potential nelson buyers: 427 <
                                                                                                                        \
D17 early diesel tractors using muffler A-C # 234493: 6075                                    |
50% are not in salvage yards/scrapped: 3037                                                        |
90% are collector owned/non-working tractors/potential nelson buyers: 2734+427--/ (same muffler) =3161

170/175 Diesel tractors using muffler A_C #250049: 8500
70% are not in salvage/scrapped: 5950
30% are collector owned/not used as a farm tractor: 1785

170/175 Gast tractors using muffler A-C #249324: 6000
70% are not in salvage yards/scrapped: 4200
50% are not used for farm work/potential nelson buyers: 2100

180/185 tractors (gas or Diesel) using muffler A-C #248883: 27000
50% are not in salvage yards/scrapped: 13,500
30% are collector owned/non-working tractors/potential Nelson buyers: 4050

I could use more data so please continue to chime in if you would be interested in a nelson muffler for a certain tractor. THANK YOU for everyone's responses so far!!!   Smile

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:00pm
I'd go for a D15 Series 2 gas, and a D17 Series 4 diesel.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:44pm
And for a D14

Posted By: wayne IA
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:05pm
Have a series 1 D17 diesel, if you end up getting any mufflers made that could be adapted.  I'd be interested since I can build and attach the flange.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:33am
Why cut a hole in the hood? Just put a longer pipe up through the hood and clamp muffler to that. You can't care about originality too much if you're using the wrong muffler and you can always put back the original style and have the original uncut hood later if you start feeling like an originalist. IH did that from the factory, extending a pipe through the hood with a visible clamp holding the muffler all above the hood.

-------------
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Posted By: wayne IA
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:21am

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Why cut a hole in the hood? Just put a longer pipe up through the hood and clamp muffler to that. You can't care about originality too much if you're using the wrong muffler and you can always put back the original style and have the original uncut hood later if you start feeling like an originalist. IH did that from the factory, extending a pipe through the hood with a visible clamp holding the muffler all above the hood.

Thanks Lonn for that !! That was my original "CRINGE", guys wanting to blast holes in I would assume perfectly good/straight hoods for the sake of what another poster said- TONE.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:32pm
Each to his own. I'd cut the oval and put it on right. Only a purest would know the difference and you wouldn't have a muffler sticking 3ft above the hood. That would look worse than the hole .

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 12:17am
I agree with Steve.
Often times, a working tractor may encounter and occasional low hanging branch, on  the edge of a field.
I can my mufflers with tin cans.  I can reach the can from the ground.  If the muffler were to be extended, it would be difficult to can and un-can the muffler.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:58am
A guy can do whatever they want. It was just a suggestion and IH had done that very thing for years right out of the box. Myself, I avoid low hanging branches these day. Nothing grows under them anyhow.

One of my brothers has an older D17 that someone did a very nice job of cutting an oval in the hood and it is a very quiet tractor and nice to drive. I use to use that tractor a lot cutting hay or baling. I also used to help the neighbor who had a 560 and 706 that were used for the same tasks and I don't remember ever having a problem with the taller muffler.

On another note, when I was a kid and I had been cultivating with Dad's D17, I went to park it where he usually did at the end of the day under a shade tree, I hooked the muffler on a branch and broke the manifold. Dad was not pleased. And that was the standard series II large diameter round muffler that did not stick up in the air like an IH. So it is whether or not that you are careful or careless, that is the factor that determines if you hook a tall or short muffler on something.

-------------
Wink
I am a Russian Bot

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 11:26pm
Just saw a post on the FB allis group about late D17 Nelsons and the WC/WD style nelsons being available and immediately thought of this topic.

Kind of stoked to have the original WD available, as one of mine has the WD-45 manifold (and I have a Nelson for it), but now I can get a Nelson for my older manifold and get rid of my crappy third stanley.

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 12:08am
It's easy to uncan the muffler... Not as easy to can it!

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Posted By: DSeries4
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 8:16am
Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

Just saw a post on the FB allis group about late D17 Nelsons and the WC/WD style nelsons being available and immediately thought of this topic.

Kind of stoked to have the original WD available, as one of mine has the WD-45 manifold (and I have a Nelson for it), but now I can get a Nelson for my older manifold and get rid of my crappy third stanley.

Nelson mufflers for the WD/WD45 and early D17 have always been available through AGCO.  Both of my WD45s have them and sound right.

-------------
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by DSeries4 DSeries4 wrote:

Nelson mufflers for the WD/WD45 and early D17 have always been available through AGCO.  Both of my WD45s have them and sound right.

garden guy was talking about me having the original WC/WD style muffler (219534) available, as well as the WD45/d17 style muffler (229531). The older WD/WC one has a longer outlet and mounts different. Both have the rain skirt, but 229531 has the rain skirt extended for the mounting holes.

-------------
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 10:30am

Originally posted by DSeries4 DSeries4 wrote:

garden guy was talking about me having the original WC/WD style muffler (219534), as well as the WD45/d17 style muffler (229531). The older WD/WC one has a longer outlet and mounts different. Both have the rain skirt, but 229531 has the rain skirt extended for the mounting holes.

Yep! This is awesome. I'll be hitting you up soon to order one of the WC/WD mufflers.

Easiest way to contact you to order via FB? Or give you a call during the week?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net