This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Invasive brush problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Invasive brush problem
    Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 1:24pm
A good friend of mine has 80 acres in the western part of the state he let's me hunt and play with my AC stuff on .He has a terrible invasive bush epidemic that is taking over his forest. We have been waging war with weed eaters set up with sawblades. We wear backpack sprayers and spray the stump immediately after cutting. Question is what is the most cost effective herbicide to spray on the stumps. We have been using brush and shrubherbicide killer from farm store but 35 bucks for a gallon that mixes with 4 gallons diesel. Is there cheaper effective product? 5 acres in 2 weekends 75 more to go
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 1:39pm
iv had good luck with crossbow and diesel
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:05pm
Tordon applied with a paint brush right on the freshly cut stump is my go to.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:11pm
Agree with Cal and TDF.  Crossbow on woody plants/brush/trees and Tordon on fresh cut stumps.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:40pm
Use a surfactant with anything you use on brush for adhesion to the plant foilage . I've had good luck with crossbow as well but I think Remedy ultra is better but it cost more.you get better kills when the plant is not stressed. And timing is important as well. Check with your county agent,if you got one.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:50pm
Tordon works best
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 5:22pm
We paint glyphosate right on the stump, sometimes we pour it on right out of the jug when fresh cut.  Kills willows even!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 5:39pm
X2 on the Roundup, and applying it right after the cut. Roundup can be painted on full strength(41%A.I.) or diluted to half strength(20.5%A.I.).

Problem with tordon, and the broadleaf killers is, that they can transfer through root knots, to other non-target trees, and kill them, too.  What is the name of the invasive tree/brush?

Edited by DiyDave - 17 Apr 2018 at 5:41pm
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 5:53pm
My Ag supplier also got me some Crossbow

Edited by michaelwis - 17 Apr 2018 at 5:53pm
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Problem with tordon, and the broadleaf killers is, that they can transfer through root knots, to other non-target trees, and kill them, too.

I've heard that and from many very reputable sources but I've never experienced it. I even used it to kill 6 inch diameter trees I cut out of a lilac bush line around my old house, and never lost a lilac. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've used it so many times over the last 15 years and never had a problem that I'm starting to think conditions must have to be perfect for that to occur.

TDF
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:01pm
BGE(barely getting electric) "spot" applied it a coupla years ago, on a steep hill, under PL ROW, it killed everything, and the hill eroded severely...Unhappy
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:02pm
A tree service, distant relative, told me to use table salt-if you are not in a hurry!  Drill 1/4" holes and pour!  I did it to an 18" stump one summer, had to keep adding soil for 5 years as the roots kept rotting!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:11pm
If you wanna burn the stumps, use potassium nitrate, drill 1" holes, 4-5" deep, fer medium (18-24") stumps, cork the holes, and in a year or 2, the stump will burn out pretty good, just pour some diesel on 'em, to get started...Wink
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:13pm
'greenies' roundup... vinegar,salt and dish soap. Apply at early morning, plants will wither early afternoon. jug of vinegar, cup of salt,2 capfuls of dishsoap. spray all the leaves , BOTTOMS and tops.
hay, it's cheap enough to try ! It worked for me a few times I needed something.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:32pm
Tordon
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:43pm
Russian olive,multi flora,hedge are the worst. Wild rose,usual sticker bushes and vines. Problem with Tordon is comes full strength,expensive and has to be dabbed or dripped onto stump or stub. Looking to use backpack sprayer . Can cut and spray right away easy without bending over to apply. Also sticker bushes need sprayed. We have a lot of ground to cover and need to work as efficient as we can .Thanks for all the responses
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Problem with tordon, and the broadleaf killers is, that they can transfer through root knots, to other non-target trees, and kill them, too.  What is the name of the invasive tree/brush?

X2 about the Tordon. I have my commercial applicators license and have used it on the job. If you want to kill everything, use Tordon. If you plan to leave certain trees, might want to find something else.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:06pm
roundup can/will also kill other trees that the roots are inter-mingled with. tordon works best, put on as soon as you put your saw down. I buy a spray bottle and hook the trigger on my pants pocket, then with a small reach can spray the stump without setting my saw down to treat it.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 7:36am
Pat, have you thought about a two phase approach.

Spry the small stuff this summer early After it leafs out.  Then move in next yer or whenever and do the stuff that is large and has to be cut down.

BTW, i have not had an occasion when tordon or round up transferred to adjacent plants through root systems. 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 1:44pm
We had after able brush problem. Borrowed 20 cow from my brother and put them loose on 40 acres in 2 months they had it all cleaned up.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 2:27pm
There is an alternate material IF you can get it sprayed on the entire bush(close to ground or get the sprayer over)
. We use it here for controlling saplings of locust and multiflora. Mix as per instructions to gallons of water in a tank, Crossbow, 2-4-D and Tordon(can use RTU just use a entire bottle to a 250 gallon sprayer). Spray when the shrubbery is in a growth stage, not during excess dry or late fall but as greening up, will be dead in a month and will NOT come back. Will not affect grasses.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 4:00pm
lots of times while planting, i'd be planting on the edge of thenfields, when i'd come across a branch sticking out, i'd cut it off, spray the stub with tordon, and by end of summer that whole tree would be dead or dying. that was on trees that were 30-40 ft tall and smaller in size.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 4:19pm
Now if you have a skid loader or 3 point - sons brush puller works great - removes plant and roots - .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

lots of times while planting, i'd be planting on the edge of thenfields, when i'd come across a branch sticking out, i'd cut it off, spray the stub with tordon, and by end of summer that whole tree would be dead or dying. that was on trees that were 30-40 ft tall and smaller in size.

pffft.  must not be hedge (osage orange).  those suckers are hard to kill
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 7:45pm
Crossbow is 35% 2-4-D and 16% 3-5-6-T.

2-4-D is a LOT cheaper and will work on many smaller brush if you cut them and dab onto the stumps... If your looking for BULK material and LOWER cost.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:10pm
Do you happen to have a state or county forestry dept? In WI there are some cost sharing programs to eliminate invasive vegetation. Our foresters are very good to work with and are very helpful as far as knowledge goes.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:14pm
Tordon comes RTU so it's ready to go right out of the jug. thanks; ac fleet
CaseyCreek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyCreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 9:17am

How big is the brush?  Any pictures?  Is it small enough to mow with a rotary cutter?  Mowing would give you the opening/exposure you need into the plant per Shameless.   Then you could use a boom sprayer to hit the whole field at once.  The mowing would also mulch up lots of the brush.
D17 Series III,D17 Series IV, 185
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:51pm

Some of the invasive brush have green leaves up toward the end of the year, where other "trees" loose their leaves in October...... In Illinois there is a state program to "spray" the wooded areas of some counties in early December using crop duster air planes.. The spray gets on the invasive leaves and kills the brush... hopefully the trees are not effected since no leaves............. son had that done 2-3 years ago... seem to help over 60%.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:37pm
They are like small trees 1 inch to 2 inches diameter at the base . The property is mostly mature woods Walnuts,white ,black and red oaks. Hilly with creeks running through it. Too dense to mow or spray with larger equipment. More than one type of tree,Bush taking over. Trying to clean up the thorny stuff while we are at it . The state DNR sent out a district forest manager and he set my friend up in a program to manage the timber. Basically logging off mature trees every 15 years. If we control/eliminate the invasive stuff my friend gets a tax credit for the timber he sells. Also we are trying to open up the timber where we can see better for hunting. The brush and small stuff took over the last few years. A severe ice storm a few years ago coincided about the same time as the brush took off. When I first started hunting over there 20 years ago it was much more open under the canopy above. Now you can hardly walk through.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic