This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDman1951 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd9
    Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 9:25am
Looking at buying an hd9 maybe. Don't know a whole lot about Crawlers so this is new turf for me. Has a 471 Detroit in it ran a couple years ago but that doesn't mean much. The steering brakes are froze up too haven't looked at the under carriage yet. Any help would be appreciated he wants about two k or best offer. . . .
1951 WD 1945 C 1936 WC
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 2:21pm
Typical aftermarket blade for the old girl, probably a dealer attachment.  If the stack has been covered and the engine will hand pull thru a bit over easily I would pull the valve cover check the racks, pull the intake stack at the blower look for mouse nests, debris, verify the emergency stop is not dropped, check for coolant in the oil and that has coolant in it.  Rails by casual glance do not look too rough, this would be a project tractor not a continuous use tractor due to age and low availability for repair parts.  Most of the shields and covers still on it, seat and battery box look to be missing but not big items.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 10:55pm
Ok, Yes, I'm 100% on board with Dave's recommendations. It appears to be a nice specimen too. We would have a lot of interest in it for our collection if it was in California.  The other recommendation I would have is to check the intermediate pinion caps for broken bolts. You will need to remove the sprocket guard cover to get a good visual. HD9s and early HD11s  that were in logging and heavy construction were prone to having problems  there. AC made changes to 11s in the late 50s to solve the problem. Farm tractors usually didn't have a problem. Looking at your pictures it looks like this tractor hasn't been abused, so it's probably ok. That being said, it's a must that you check these for condition. (you don't want to work on these,it's a deal breaker).  photo MORGAN HILL P1010008_zpsniaohoj9.jpg
This is a picture from a post several years ago. This is an HD11 that was in very poor condition. It became a"DONOR TRACTOR" in our recent restoration project because of the pinion caps. It usually breaks the case too. The HD11 farm tractor that we used for our restoration project was ok,that's why we started with it. So if you can get that cover off and look at the bolts that are holding the pinion cap on and check them,life will be good. Post some pictures if you have questions. They started with 1/2'' SAE bolts and later changed them to 5/8" SAE. If they haven't been changed or are not loose or appear to have worked loose, there probably ok. It's hard to tell from this picture that there is a problem here, it's more of a reference for where to look. We'll expect a report back(LOL)
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 7:36am
Check the engine oil level. Remove the pan guard or access cover, carefully loosen the oil pan plug checking for water. I always try to pre-oil a motor that has been sitting. I use a porta-power with motor oil and break into the oiling system. The most accessible place is at the oil pressure gage. Check the final drives before moving it. Tow it backwards with transmission in neutral to see that both tracks are turning. Drain water out of the fuel system before trying to start it.
Good luck
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 10:11am
The HD9  use the same stering cluch,brake,chaine,sprocket,roller,idler,transmission and master cluch than HD11 and motor parts are easy to found DETROIT 471.
cariboo4x4 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cariboo4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:35pm
Hellow gemdozer.  Are you saying the HD9 uses same engine clutch components as HD11?
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 6:01am
The Hd9 and HD11 use the same cluch
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cariboo4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 10:38pm
thank you

Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 11:24am
Be sure that the emergency stop functions or take the precleaner off the intake so that you can choke it down if it runs away, also remove the valve cover and put a pair of vice grips on the the rack shaft and make sure it is free and leave it there till after the initial start just in case
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 8:35am
then your bride can drive this one to Walmart!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cariboo4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 10:33am
Thank you gemdozer.  I took clutch pressure plate assembly apart and Back Plate is cracked.   There is a casting number on it CL-8303.  I have a clutch place I can call in Vancouver BC, yet do you have any leads on where I could find a good used back plate?  I'm thinking it could be welded yet I'm thinking its a part that is under tension when clutch is engaged.  Neighbor could only adjust hand clutch lever to 15 pounds on his spring scale so I'm thinking the Back Plate cracks were definitely part of the problem.

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 11:55am
HI  I check wednesday if am still have some but not sure and if you weld yours she gone recrack again.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cariboo4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 11:13pm
Thank you.   Happen to find anything gemdozer?
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:07am
I am sorry found anyting yet about master cluch
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cariboo4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 2:45pm
Thankyou gemdozer
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cariboo4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 10:38am
Hi gemdozer.   I located a good used part in Australia of all places.   They describe themselves as the biggest dismantler in the southern hemisphere.   They have a few HD11's in stock for parts.   I may have found something else in the US if I searched more yet after many hours of searching and sending out emails I found this part in Australia.  So good used back plate is coming in as airmail. 

Philhuntparts.com.au
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:30pm
I am glad for you and if I can help let me know
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by cariboo4x4 cariboo4x4 wrote:

Hi gemdozer.   I located a good used part in Australia of all places.   They describe themselves as the biggest dismantler in the southern hemisphere.   They have a few HD11's in stock for parts.   I may have found something else in the US if I searched more yet after many hours of searching and sending out emails I found this part in Australia.  So good used back plate is coming in as airmail. 

Philhuntparts.com.au

I have messaged Phil Hunt as well on some parts. You are right,, he has a huge inventory. Pretty costly to get it back to the US however. Another site that has a lot of AC inventory is

Fresno Tractor. they have a large yard but cannot find the contact number. You can google it for sure.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 3:32am
General Gear and Machine (tractorparts.com), Boise ID a lot nearer you than Australia
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cariboo4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 12:26am
Thank you for all the contacts fellows.   Just received good used back plate.   I have to put flywheel back on crankshaft and  the 9/16" NF bolts (13/16" head) were very tight or just well seized from being attached for many years.  We broke them loose and thinking of using blue thread locker upon assembly.   The service manual states 95-105 ft lbs for these bolts yet that seems a little low.   My generic torque chart shows 110-180 ft lbs depending on grade.  The service manual is for the HD11 with the 6 cylinder diesel and this machine is the HD9 yet uses same clutch assembly for the Diesel 471 4 cylinder.  Mechanics wire is threaded and twisted through all flywheel to crankshaft when attached and bolts torqued.   I was wondering if gemdozer has torque specs for HD9 4 cylinder flywheel and back plate?

The back plate uses 1/2" NC bolts (3/4" head) with lock washers.  Service manual does not list or have detail on torque spec for these bolts.   My generic torque chart is 80-125 ft lbs depending on grade of bolt.  Will use blue thread locker also on these.  Old back plate was cracked at one of these hole on perimeter of back plate so I expect previous owner possibly tightened them too much.  They were either very tight too or just siezed with rust. 
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 1:21pm
Sorry have no torque specs for HD9 DETROIT  for flywell and backplate.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cariboo4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 7:11pm
Ok, thank you.  No problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic