This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 DOZER FOR RESTORATION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 DOZER FOR RESTORATION
    Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 4:01pm
Hi guys, thought we should post up our latest restoration project. This would be an HD5B #15138 (1952) w/ ATECO DOZER (American Tractor Equipment Corp) Model BH-HD5B #5050 and CARCO winch Model E #10291. My brother Dave and his son Kirk picked this up one week ago traveling to S.WA. from N.Ca.,appox. 1300 mi. round trip in bad weather, drove 50 miles out of the way to avoid chaining up and still saw snow at sea level from Coos Bay,Or. to Cresent City, Ca. (but that's what AC tractor collectors do for there hobby stuff).It's been sitting for some time with probably steering clutch issues. The Core family that we acquired it from are the original owners and we are hoping to get some more past history as time goes on. We have lots of parts and pieces for HD5s, but this is a perfect specimen with louvered engine covers (also the farthest we have traveled for an AC tractor) 

Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 4:11pm
Hard to imagine a intact little guy like this just sitting and rusting away quietly, good catch Mel!!
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 5:40pm
Love the truck and trailer, love the wheel loader, love the HD5. Tracks look really good, is it a runner? Nice score, Trev.
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 5:46pm
Tracks look in good shape. Looked nice and tight when unloading. Is the ROPS manufactured or is that a home made setup. What engine does this one have?
Yea, I can fix that.....
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 5:59pm
ROPS ? brush guard would be what this would be called. All the mount points are on thin metal areas of machine. 2-71 is the engine used stock. have seen these machines with ford flathead and other such engines, but a 2-71 will do a lot of work and pinch fuel.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 6:45pm
ROPS  Roll Over Protection System
Yea, I can fix that.....
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 7:33pm
Thank, for the nice comments guys. The engine was still running when it was parked for ,we think a steering clutch problem, but it's been awhile. The truck is one of our precast septic tank delivery trucks (you know are day job) and it's more fun draggin ACs around than setting septic tanks (doesn't pay as well though). As Coke said it still has the original 271 Detroit. The canopy or ROPS as it appears were all after market or home made back then. It was up to the dealers to do that. When you bought an HD5 new it was just a tractor unless it was the loader version. The blades were all aftermarket also. AC used Carco, Baker, Garwood and ATECO to name a few.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2012 at 9:31am
Why I said ROPS ? is back then there was no such thing - brush guard or sun roof - yes but that pipe on the machine is all anchored on sheet steel not to the machine frame or solid structure. 
 ROPS needs to be designed to support the weight of the machine - and tested and certified. 
 Tracto-Motive made the loader version the G series loader for AC -until AC bought them out . All the other attachments were certified by AC to be used on the machine but not supplied by AC - so configuration of the dozers was a mix of companies supplying different designs from cable units to hydraulic. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2012 at 4:27pm
Does anyone have a set of sprocket and idler guards for an HD-5B? 
David Gantt N.C. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gantt N.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2012 at 8:17pm
great fine, hope to see it after you finish the restore, thanks for sharing
AC-12G View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-12G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 1:30pm
HI MEL Smile , JUST SIGNED THE AC FORM TO CHAT W/ YOU. GUESS I`M A OLE QUALIFIED AC JUNKEE.... LIL 5 IS ALL DRESSED UP FOR  PACIFIC NO.WEST  LOGGING COUNTRY....IF ONLY THE NOISY LIL BUG-ER COULD TELL IT`S  PAST .  IT IS A LIL SWEET HEART FOR DAM SURE..... AS I THINK BACK ON YOUR GETTING THE LIL 5 ...I SHOULD HAVE LOADED MY PICK UP W/ 12G MISC. & MET YOU AT I-5 & EXIT 88 (HWY 12 )..... MEL, ALSO STILL KEEP IN TOUCH BY E-MAIL.  JERRY K
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 3:29pm
What a find! Looks like they had just replaced the rails and sprockets when they parked it. 
mrkc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2012 at 8:21pm
The HD5 was purchased by my grandfather, Frank Core, in the late 1940s (I think). They used it to finish logging a bunch of old growth fir on his farm near Mossyrock, WA. The timber had been cut about 10 years earlier but hadn't been bucked into logs because the deal with the logger went haywire.
They bought the HD5 at McKinnel Tractor in Chehalis, Washington.  As far as I know, it was equipped as you see it now.  
My father, Calvin Core, learned to operate it while he was in high school and went on to become a professional cat skinner (among other things) running D8s and similar sized Terex dozers at the Centralia steam plant.
I didn't run it much when I was growning up. After dad died in 1994, I used it enough to realize I wasn't very good with a dozer and didn't have the patience to learn.  I would much rather run farm tractors, something I have many hours of experience doing.  
Sometime around 1997, my mom's second husband was using it and the steering clutches on one side failed. It had to be towed back with the 1959 JD 430 tractor we had on the farm.  It ran when it was parked and had just had the top end rebuilt.
I will ask my dad's two sisters if they remember any more details about when it was purchased or how it was equipped.
I'm pleased that Mel and Dave now have it and that it will be repaired, and enjoyed.  My dad and grandfather really liked it and it was difficult to see it sit in disrepair.  It just wasn't cost effective to pay a mechanic to get it fixed.  By the way, the same thing happened with the '59 JD 430 tractor.  I now have a small diesel 4X4 tractor and it is far better for what I need.
treedog62 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treedog62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 5:34pm
just got a ts-5/hd-5 crawler bucket dozer!! I need transmission! any one know where I can get one!! put a motor in it!! 271 GM/ Detroit. like to get this tranny redone or get another used for old girl !! any help! thxs!! pm me treedog2@yahoo.com with any info!!Clap
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 5:55pm
I have a complet transmission for HD5 but you better removed yours maybe you just need a gear or a bearing and am 'T shipping heavy parts because cust to much for heavy parts
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 10:54pm
FYI,we probably have a HD5 transmission we could part with, but I agree with Hector, what do you really need?  There's a whole bunch of moving parts to what may be a problem or not.

Also I'm glad you were able to find this old post. I can't find a lot of my old posts, I guess they went to AC cyberspace
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 11:14pm
Mel, have you finished that HD5?  Seems like I remember seeing pictures of it but then again, you guys have been working on several machines in the last few years.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 8:30am
John, If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure this is it. Their restored HD6 just behind it.

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 3:08pm
Sure looks nice, great job
treedog62 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treedog62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 5:50pm
dang those look nice!!! got another tranny!! the lady I got mine from had one there he husband had it for this HD-5!! gears and all were good . replace 1 bearing ! no teeth broke off!! thxs! guys!!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 11:52pm
Hard to believe it's the same machine!  What a great restoration, I'm sure the Cole family is happy they let you have the machine.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
treedog62 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treedog62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 12:42am
hey guys got trouble with my hd-5 ! it want turn right when I pull the stick!! I also apply the rite brake at same time!! but it want turn!!! any suggestions!! thxs
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 9:03am
With the motor running master clutch engaged transmission in gear disengage both steering clutches. Note the direction it turns, the opposite steering clutch is locked up. If it goes straight both are locked up. If it stops both steering clutches are disengaging properly.
treedog62 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treedog62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 2:31pm
Dozer not sure but I think the rite side is not disgaging when I pull back on stick just goes strait!! how can I get it freed!! been siting for a few yrs!!! thxs!!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 4:19pm
You need to make sure of adjustments,and linkages are free first.
treedog62 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treedog62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 11:38am
WELL NOW I HAVE ANOTHER ISSUE!!! LOL!! IAM IN NEED OF A RITE FRONT IDLER WITH BEARINGS AND SHAFT AND ALL TOGETHER!!! ANY BODY HAVE ANY THAT IS IN GOOD SHAPE! THXS FOR HD-5G
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 12:15pm
I have (4) Allis crawlers. They are great machines, but they need to be used, greased and kept inside. Most of these machines were parked for a reason. The front idler you mentioned is the why. The stuck clutches are the result of the machine exposed to the elements. Good luck.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
treedog62 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treedog62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:08am
Mel you wouldn't by chance have a front idler laying around !!! Hd-5g need one !!thxs or anyone else!!
treedog62 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treedog62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 7:13pm
which idlers will interchange with the HD-5 ?
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:29pm
Treegog: You may find an idler at General Gear in Boise, ID or Norcon in Spokane.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic