This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Won't move forward or reverse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 12:39am
That's a good report!!! So glad you can make full use of your machine now. Hopefully you will have a long stretch without troubles. It was kind of a rough start for you after just buying your first machine but I applaud you for not giving upClap...what you have undertaken is not an easy job...it's kind of like you have graduated now LOL, hope you get all your work done before winter.  
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 7:46am
If it is a standard Stanadyne injection pump common to many old Allis's there is a return fitting in the top cover of the pump where the shut off mechanism sits. In that fitting is a check ball, should it have debris in it or getting to it, it will do just as noted and eventually the coupler in the pump will fail where it will not start at all.

I have been thru that on a few that used these style pumps. Only real repair is take it off and have it rebuilt, cleaning just the nozzles would not stop a problem as noted.
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 9:07pm
Glad ya got it all lined out Brian. The 715 is a good machine, you'll get a lot of work out of her. Glad ya stayed with it and didn't give up.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
FarmerJoeVT View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 11:36am
//New Problem// the radiator fan, alternator, and pulley aren't turning. Sometimes it starts slowly or works a little. But now it isn't working at all or intermittently. Anyone have an idea of what this could be?

Link to pictures and videos:

Thanks

Brian

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 26 Sep 2015 at 3:30pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 5:14pm
link don't work...

Edited by DiyDave - 26 Sep 2015 at 5:15pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 8:03pm
Sorry, here it is:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPIIGwE08T9MKnPdU8DQJDaMvZYVczmRu-M3KtbRbu67YgaqQgQHLYT5jYXGszkzA?key=b2FybXZ5a2kxcjdpNHV1YzkwUDUyZk9HNm1CSTVn

The very last one on the page is a video showing you all what we are seeing.

Thanks in advance.

Very respectfully,
Brian

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 26 Sep 2015 at 8:05pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 4:44am
looks like the belt ain't tight.  also might not be the right belt, or crank pulley has a lot of wear on it, making the belt slip...
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 1:21am
It was the crankshaft pulley again. The teeth on the pulley are completely worn down. I will order another one tomorrow morning and Im thinking about putting JB Weld or Loctite Metal on it next time to prevent it from vibrating or moving around. Does anyone have any other ideas or think that this isnt the way to go?

Thanks

Brian
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 5:06am
Is there enough room, to add a set screw to the pulley??
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 6:50am
There is a bolt that holds the pulley on. But the pulley internal bore metal seems to not be as strong as the gear metal and keeps wearing down over time to the point of failure. This will be the second pulley in the last 2 years. So when I buy the 3rd, I'd like to make it hold, since it will have some grip from the get go. 

Any suggestions on any metal epoxies or tricks that would do the trick?

Very respectfully,
Brian
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 6:03pm
I would say that jbweld would probably be as good as any other, in this application.  I would use the regular set up time stuff, not the quick set.  You say a bolt holds it on, what's it thread into the end of the crank?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 7:23pm
The bolt with a washer threads into the end of the crankshaft to hold the pulley in place. The reason why I asked what epoxy to use is because in doing my own research I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k
Which says the Loctite Steel rated better, but I know that there is no shortage of wisdom represented on this site and if you think JB Weld will work then I will give that a try. aIll be sure to let it fully cure after the new pulley arrives Wednesday, before test it. :)

V/r
Brian
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 7:44pm
not  the right belt
the belt not  tight
alternator at end of
adjustment

B:-)    Dnoym
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 5:07am
Originally posted by FarmerJoeVT FarmerJoeVT wrote:

The bolt with a washer threads into the end of the crankshaft to hold the pulley in place. The reason why I asked what epoxy to use is because in doing my own research I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k
Which says the Loctite Steel rated better, but I know that there is no shortage of wisdom represented on this site and if you think JB Weld will work then I will give that a try. aIll be sure to let it fully cure after the new pulley arrives Wednesday, before test it. :)

V/r
Brian

I wouldn't place too much faith in the test, in the video.  Too many human errors possible, due to weights swinging, rope placement, amount of product used, etc.  If you could find an independent testing co's scientifically done test, OK, then.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 6:54am
Ok, well if JB weld will do the trick I will be placing it on the new pulley when it arrives tomorrow. Then letting it fully cure and hopefully by late Thursday we will running her again once more. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic