This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So you think your packings are OK?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So you think your packings are OK?
    Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 9:54am
  Here are a few pics of the packings from my rams. I pulled em apart this weekend out in the sticks. It's hard to believe this shovel worked so good with these packings. The bucket rams had been resealed sometime in the past, and it looks like they cut the packing rings diagonally and installed them like on a automotive transmission. The lift cylinder packings are destroyed and you can see the broken area on the head where the shaft packing is pushing out a bit. However, this head did not leak fluid. The rams were pretty heavy for one guy to lift but two would be a snap. The piece of metal broken off the ram head was nowhere to be found....Ouch
Sponsored Links

doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 10:08am
  On my post, I was going to ask you guys about this broken head. I was thinking about it, and I'll guess that this damage could be done by someone blocking up the shovel by putting boards under the rams, instead of directly supporting the shovel with timbers, or blocking bracket on the shafts. Or maybe a piece of rock or wood got between the cylinder and the frame on power down and cocked it badly.Ouch
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 8:38pm
By the looks of it there was a hammer involved removing it in the past, to cock the cylinder enough to damage that piece would destroy the rest of it.

I have the upper cylinders off mine now Corey, the hydraulics tank will be next in line to remove, valve and all. The battery box is pretty iffy, I may have to do a little re-engineering to get the corroded bolt head removed to get it off the frame. The bottom is still mostly intact, the sides seem well enough solid. I also have all the throttle linkages except the cross tube off, the tube itself has been worked over at the left end, I did find the ear but it will have to be reattached.
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 9:31pm
  You mean, as in, hammering the head on or off the shaft? Anyway,, I got the nuts off the rams and my packing kits should be here in a day or two with new bearing rings. Hey I love that OROPS on your second ( I can't bear to use the word, "donor") 7G. If it didn't take an act of congress to install it (and maybe a crane.hah) it would look good on mine. Once I get the hydraulics straightened out I'll be spoiled rotten. I'm lookin' at an old D8 to buy and use it to bust up stumps and rocks instead of this loader. Maybe sometime I'll pull the trailer out your way and pick up some goodies. Actually, that OROPS wouldn't look bad on an old D8, eitherConfused
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 11:08pm
Yes, the things you find in hydraulic cylinders (and around them too).

The hydraulic system oil leaks on our Fiat Allis 10 got to be where (at the price of oil) maintenance was needed, so I did the blade lift cylinders, the tilt cylinder and the ripper cylinders, and the bushes in the blade lift cylinder pivots (short shafts either side of the radiator).

The blade cylinders have relief valves to unload pressure at the top and bottom of the stroke.  One side had a large hex nut welded to the locknut - seems the shaft had been shortened, rethreaded and the eye could then contact the packing retainer so the nut was the spacer.  The relief valves couldn't contact on the up, and didn't work after the first down either, as they had been put in backwards and squashed.  Amazingly no problem with gettingnew ones, or a valve and spring for one quick drop.

The blade cylinders have quick drop valves on them - originally in one of the blade cylinder pipes.  These had migrated to the top of the radiator, at 90 degrees to original, whih a collection of rubber hoses to connect.  They went back into the metal piping that I restored.  After which I found that the quick drops worked - they hadn't before due to the quarter turn!

The quick drop action is a feature of the grader tyre bead braker that I posted here previously.

The ripper cylinders (local Aust production, not Fiat) had V-packs that looked a bit like yours.  Took the bits to a recommended hydraulic supplier, who said "The wrong packings and they haven't been made for 20 years or so".  Correct parts no problem.

One of the lift cylinder pivot shafts had had 20mm machined off for some odd sized bush.  Given the price of new or the only used one available I built up the 20 mm by hand and turned it back to standard - so far so good.  Plus the bush carriers had also been oversized, so more buildup.  My ancient lathe didn't work so well on internal machining of welding, so I had to make a tool post grinder and do them with it - a patient job. 

Time consumimg, but it is back to standard parts now.  Works right, looks right.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic