This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to me HD11 - how to operate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me HD11 - how to operate?
    Posted: 28 May 2013 at 12:23pm
So here's the deal. In the past, we've hired a local guy to push bush, bury stones, trees, etc as needed on our farm. Just picked up a 1/2 section this spring and there's a fair bit of bush on it. Found someone about 1 hour away with an HD11 for sale. Now I know it's not the newest dozer out there, but for what we need, I think it will work fine. Also comes with a parts dozer as well. (Parts dozer has a seized engine due to no exhaust cap and has been robbed of a hydraulic pump and a few pads.)

Here's the problem: Grandpa had an HD7 that he bought from an air base after WWII - Dad remembers driving it as a teenager. That is the last any of us have been around a dozer! I've been trying to find a picture of an HD11 operator's station and to figure out what each of the levers are for, but haven't found one yet. Does anyone have a picture that I could label the levers? Maybe a scan of a couple of pages from the manual?

Seller estimates the year as 1960-1965. It does not have levers coming out of the dash. I stopped to look at it, but the owners weren't around, so did not fire it up. There were 2 pedals - one left, one right. Gearshift on right, close to the seat. Hydraulic blade lever at right hand arm rest. 2 more levers (steering??) closer to the center, coming out of the floor.

Anyone help?

Andrew
Sponsored Links

Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 1:49pm
Manual steer HD11 would be 1955-1961.

You are correct- clutch on LH side, pull to engage, steering levers in center, pull steering clutch lever back and engage corresponding brake to steer.  Gear shift on RH side of seat, high-low shifter between your legs.  (six forward gears, three reverse).

If you have the serial number we could narrow down the year.

Six roller track frame= HD11B or S
Seven roller track frame= HD11E or ES

Jim in NM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in NM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 1:59pm
I have a scanned parts manual as a PDF document for the HD11. You should be able to look at the illustrations and parts descriptions and figure out the basics. Send me a private message with an email I can send to, and I'll attach it to my reply. (It's 36 megs though, hope you can receive it!)
Jim in NM
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 2:57pm
there a hd11 for sale in arkansas on machinery trader a hd 11 b i think this is the same model your talking about. if it is i got a book on it
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 3:15pm
There is also a pretty good reprint of the service manual available on this website- just click on Allis Store.  I bought one many years ago and was quite happy with it. 
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 4:59pm
Wow!! Good info guys. Thanks!

The dozer has a spoked front idler and spoked rear sprocket. Can't remember # of idlers, but I'm thinking 6.

Jim in NM: Sending a PM right now...

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 28 May 2013 at 5:06pm
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 5:14pm
Buy an operators manual.
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Ages Cat Ages Cat wrote:

Buy an operators manual.

That is the plan, but I wanted to wait until I get a serial number first...

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 28 May 2013 at 7:54pm
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 6:34pm
Ideas for moving the dead dozer??

I have the truck (KW W900) but no trailer. A neighbour has a low bed with beavertail which I was going to use. To move the dead one, I was thinking of jack-knifing the truck/trailer. Then push up a dirt ramp against the back end with the good dozer. Push the dead one to the dirt ramp. Run a cable from the dead one, over the trailer, over the neck to the good dozer and pull it on....good idea or bad?

Andrew

Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 6:42pm
There are no rear hydraulics, but since it has a hydraulic blade, I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard to add some.

We have a 12' Rome breaking Disc (TAW) and a CAT70 scraper. The scraper needs 3 outlets... Would a 70 be too big? We normally pull it with our JD9400 which is about 425HP. Definitely more power, but the HD11 would get it's power into the ground better, so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too bad???

Andrew

Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 12:04pm
Just got the emails from Jim with the Parts Book PDF's. I've also managed to find 3 or 4 other versions - likely for different serial number ranges, so I should be set.

Does anyone have (or know where to look) for a Service Manual or Operator's Manual? If I can't find a free download, I'll go looking on here, EBay or a couple of other websites I found that do re-prints.

Andrew
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 12:10pm
Everything you need is on Ebay right now- $75
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allis-Chalmers-HD-11-Tractor-Service-Manual-Operators-Manual-Parts-List-/190847626864?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item2c6f67ae70
Jim in NM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in NM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 12:21pm
If you can't find it anywhere else, try
http://www.jensales.com/Allis-Chalmers-HD-11

They are a little pricey sometimes, but the manuals are good. I got everything I needed for an early AC Gleaner "E" combine from them, very happy with the service, and they had stuff no one else did.

BTW, it looks like the same manual I sent you is $115 from jensales, but it would be a bound version.
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Lazyts Lazyts wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allis-Chalmers-HD-11-Tractor-Service-Manual-Operators-Manual-Parts-List-/190847626864?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item2c6f67ae70

Looks like the right price! Unfortunately, the ad says he won't ship internationally. I've sent an email asking if he'll ship to Canada, so we'll see. If the seller won't, would someone here be willing to accept the manuals and forward them up to Canada? USPS Flat rate boxes work best. There is a 20 or 25 pound limit to ship flat rate to Canada, but I think we'll be under that! Wink

Andrew
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 2:16pm

....pull steering clutch lever back and engage corresponding brake to steer....

Do you need to use the brake to steer, or can you simply pull back on the steering clutch lever?

(See, I told you we were new to this!!)

Andrew

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 4:22pm
Yes you need to use brake pedal for steer
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

Yes you need to use brake pedal for steer

OK, Thanks!

Andrew

Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Andrew_D Andrew_D wrote:

Looks like the right price! Unfortunately, the ad says he won't ship internationally. I've sent an email asking if he'll ship to Canada, so we'll see. If the seller won't, would someone here be willing to accept the manuals and forward them up to Canada? USPS Flat rate boxes work best. There is a 20 or 25 pound limit to ship flat rate to Canada, but I think we'll be under that! Wink

Andrew

Seller agreed to ship to Canada. Arrived yesterday. 8 days from Texas to Manitoba isn't bad! Manuals are in excellent shape.

Plan is to haul the machines home Friday / Saturday...

Andrew

Jim in NM View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in NM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 9:27am
You do need to use the brakes for most changes in direction, however, on an old CAT I used to run, you could make minor changes by just using the clutch, which, depending on what you are trying to do, can make for much smoother transitions in direction.
captaintractors View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaintractors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 6:08am
Hello Everybody.

I am New Here From Tractor Sprayer Pumps Company. We Provide Custom Word Wide Tractor Sprayer Pumps service as per client requirement. So if you have any question about Tractor Sprayer Pumps are welcome.

Thanks.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 6:34am
Common to Tracked equipment of the time period was the over center clutch. Avoid slipping the clutch whenever possible. It is designed to be fully engaged when working. When not working with engine running, put the transmission in neutral and engage the clutch. I have a preference to have the clutch disengaged when in storage. Check that the drains on the steering clutches are open. Open the steering clutch compartments and check for water and/or mice. Check for water in the oil of the hydraulic system, transmission and final drive.
Best wishes with your new machine
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Dozer Dozer wrote:

Common to Tracked equipment of the time period was the over center clutch. Avoid slipping the clutch whenever possible. It is designed to be fully engaged when working. When not working with engine running, put the transmission in neutral and engage the clutch. I have a preference to have the clutch disengaged when in storage. Check that the drains on the steering clutches are open. Open the steering clutch compartments and check for water and/or mice. Check for water in the oil of the hydraulic system, transmission and final drive.
Best wishes with your new machine

I did read somewhere about leaving the clutch engaged and trans in neutral. Also about not slipping the clutch. Don't remember where...I've been reading everything I can find these last few weeks!

I'm going to do the solvent flush on the steering clutches as per the manual, then leave the drains open. Instead of leaving them open with the 1 1/4" drain, would putting say a 1 1/4" x 1/2" bushing in there keep more dust out while still allowing water to drain? Thoughts?

Andrew

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 11:39am
You might enjoy "What is the tensile strength of a mouse nest?"   August 19, 2012 It is about steering clutches.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic