This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1460 vs N Series

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shieldslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1460 vs N Series
    Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 11:09pm
Hi guys,

Has anyone used both, if so which do you prefer?
Sponsored Links

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 11:23pm
i own a 1460, and have used an N6, both were awesum machines! i did like the cab and controls in the "N6" better. and like the bigger grain tank! the thing with these to combines is you can combine longer with dew setting in than you can with conventional combines! i am concerned on the enclosed engine versas the open on the 1460. i'm a firm believer in letting an engine breath! 
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 11:28pm
one other thing...i can move the unload auger back and forth to fill a truck or wagon without moving the combine. and nowadays, i have 3 IH dealers near-by, and only one AGCO dealer. so chances are they will have the parts i need when i need them! our local AGCO dealer always has to order stuff in!
shieldslx View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shieldslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 11:47pm
Thanks for the input. What sort of grain loss did you have?
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 11:52pm
not much on either machine! you will always get some, but with the proper adjustments, like on any machine, i will say tho, that the loss was alot less than on my JD machines i owned! of course they were conventional machines! i think the rotors get alot more grain threshed out than the conventionals, i'll never go back to a conventional. also....you don't need a chopper when using a rotary AC or IH combine!
shieldslx View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shieldslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 12:25am
I REALLY appriciate your input, somone who has run both is just what my brother is looking for. He is. Hoping to get the n5 but is really afraid of how many beans the gleaner head is going to knock off and how it will handle the hills, he cant afford an 800 series head
Mike NEIN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike NEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 2:07pm
I had an N6 and dad has a 1460. Like Shameless said the cabs and controls are alot nicer in the Gleaner and would run circles around the red one but they are a major pain to work on so I bought a 1680 and love it.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 1:44am
i ran the N6 in some pretty steep hills, and it handled just fine! they are a wide stance! and the hills didn't bother that machine a bit! the N5's-N6's are pretty old machines, as are the 1440-1460's, i know there were alot of upgrades to the Gleaners, so have him ask if they were added. about the only thing i can think of on upgrades to the IH's were the elec over hyd controls and the header hieght controls.
Mike56073 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike56073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 6:37am
  I would definately go with the IH, so simple and easy to work on!!  Also, like shameless said the dealer support for the red one will be way better than the Gleaner.  I can walk into my IH dealer at 9:00 at night in the fall and they will have anything I need for our 1440.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by SHAMELESS SHAMELESS wrote:

i ran the N6 in some pretty steep hills, and it handled just fine! they are a wide stance! and the hills didn't bother that machine a bit! the N5's-N6's are pretty old machines, as are the 1440-1460's, i know there were alot of upgrades to the Gleaners, so have him ask if they were added. about the only thing i can think of on upgrades to the IH's were the elec over hyd controls and the header hieght controls.

Many other updates needed to make these more reliable. Unloader auger angle gear box and hydraulic valve for it so they don't creep out without you knowing it. Get rid of the 2 elephant ears for the three or better yet the auger style rotor intake. Get rid of the standard rasp bar rotor for the specialty rotor. Feeder house updates and reverser upgrades if it even has one. I have forgotten lots of the updates. Been a dozen years almost since being a partsman for the red. 

One thing on the Gleaner beside the tremendous capacity differences is you don't need to change grates and concaves when switching crops and the frame and finals are much heavier and key wear points are heavier on the Gleaner and as mentioned hillsides don't affect them near as much. 1400 series have a small grain tank and extensions over stress the finals and frame. Long round will be a problem.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Mike NEIN Mike NEIN wrote:

I had an N6 and dad has a 1460. Like Shameless said the cabs and controls are alot nicer in the Gleaner and would run circles around the red one but they are a major pain to work on so I bought a 1680 and love it.

Other than the top feeder conveyor I think the Gleaner is easier to work on. Having worked at both a Gleaner dealer and then an IH dealer the IH is harder to work on most things. Still Ih has a good machine or at least had a good machine.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:07am
I've worked on both, and I always thought that the Gleaner was the easiest to work on. Maybe thay was just because I got more practice on Gleaners. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic