This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD-6G Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acisbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 8:02am
Chris,

Is that yours? Looks like you are due for some new grousers.  I've been welding steel on my pads for a while. Takes a while, but my welding is getting better!

Tracks are a little loose, hope your adjusters are still good. Looks to be in better shape than mine was when I got it.
Sponsored Links

Dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 2:26pm
Acisbest:

Wish I knew how to post a picture, but I don't. The backhoe is also tucked away in my hay shed where there likely isn't enough space for a shot of it.

Replacing the steering clutch disk pacs wasn't the worse part of the job. Elevating the unit so I could turn the tracks to unbolt everything, removing the brake band attachment pins and trying to not drop the bolts into the well (I did and I had to use a magnet to go fishing) because of lack of room were the fun stuff. The hoe attachment hanging off the back end made access a bit uncomfortable. I think  i could do a second redo in about half the time. One other weird thing I came across. Once you're in there I thought I might as well redo the brake pedal arms and steering clutch levers (They all have bushings that can be replaced). Relatively easy job (if you don't mind working upsidedown) except the left brake pedal arm on my machine won't come off without removing the transmission. Hard to believe but I'm convinced it's a design flaw. The only non-removable alternative was to grind away at the transmission lever housing. I didn't, so I have one sloppy brake pedal and one that feels brand new. Oh well who's to notice but me.
Dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 2:37pm
I must be still working upsidedown. It's the right brake pedal not the left one. The left has lots of room to slide off the shaft-not the right one
acisbest View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acisbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 6:26pm
Dale,

I did not jack up my tracks to rotate the clutch. I used a crowbar to move the dozer back and forth a few inches, it was enough to rotate the clutch. I did not have a backhoe in the way. http://williampowell.net/pages/hd6gfolder/hd6grepairs.html  The two toughest parts for me were 1) Removing the brake band pivot point. 2) Compressing the clutch enough to remove it. I bought the brake band parts from Mccmaster Carr. My brake levers and clutch levers are all sloppy, as is just about every other joint on the dozer. I burn about a quart or two an hour, maybe more... 
Dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 10:20pm
acisbest,

You're absolutely right, those brake band pivots were a mess to get off. The last guy into my machine had rigged up a rubegoldberg affair for the attachment. I needed my cutting torch, a bucket of water and nerve to get the mess out.

I also wonder who the engineers were who designed the steering clutch area. They had to have tiny, flexible hands of steel to think you could work comfortably on the steering clutches in such a confined area. Even though I never really want to do another steering clutch redo, there's a part of me that thinks I could do it in half the time the second time round. I think it took me at least 50 hours from having a machine with bad clutches to having a machine with new clutches, one new brake pedal redo and both steering levers with new bushings. I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I think I could do it next time in maybe 30 hours. Does that still sound ridiculously long.

By the way, with the new clutches and the new pedal and lever bushings the machine turns like a dream-almost like having power steering. I think the HD6G was really impressive when they were new-considering their vintage. Mine is a mid 50's unit.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 11:54pm
After being into clutches several times on my HD5 I learned the quick way around I guess. Those pins on brakebands gave me fits the first time but made up new pins and now use slide hammer to remove them if stuck, think lasttime i went in it was about 5 hours to R&R the plate on clutch pack that had broken. Brake bands on last time I had to reline and it took more time to drill band stock and counter-bore lining for rivit heads than it did to take out and put in the bands.
  On my HD5 track I welded rebar onto front and rear grouser bar of origonal pad. Used 7/8 rebar and used E-7024 drag rod. Did the welding over the front ideler and rear sprocket. Had track blocked up so it turned free, clamped on bar,welded it on one side, moved track to next 3 pads and did it again, when they came up on rear sprocket just welded up the other side.. This way I was welding flat and could do those 6 bars on 3 pads as a flat weld with weld space parallel to the ground .
 On one set of track I welded up the top of the rail (added height to links) using 7014 and a double pass then topping with a wear rod, raised the top surface about 1/4" or more on all links on both tracks.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
acisbest View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acisbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 5:16am

My issue with the brake band for me was the cap nut to the pivot bolt. I thought I would never get it out. Heated it, soaked it, finally it cracked loose.

Yes, very tight in there, but from what I've read AC was relatively easy to replace the clutch because you did not have to remove the track to get at it. Bolts were tight on the clutch hubs, had to purchase 6 point 3/4 craftsman wrench. I was not going to chance rounding a bolt down in there. Boy those bolts were tight.. Magnet a must, dropped the wrench countless times.   Clutch disks were so rusted it had expanded. It would not come out. I thought I was going to have to scrap the dozer. Small litte wedge brought it in a little. Then Larger, then larger, I think I was up to a wood splitting wedge. Remarkably the outer hubs did not break, I thought they would. Must have been about 4-8 hours pounding and turning over a week of my spare time. What a releaf when I squeezed the clutch out past the hubs with my WD loader.

I'm still in the middle of welding my grousers on. Bought square rod from a scrap metal yard. There were a few pieces of grouser welded on the track when I bought it. I'm welding a few on here an there, enough so that the pad bolts don't wear out. Thankfully the tracks had new bushings and pins, the only good parts on the dozer... 

I've replaced the radiator, 4 hydraulic hoses. Had to buy track spring cover. New Starter, I think the old one was good, I had bad batteries.  Track used to fall off about every hour... Tensioners were crap. Previous owner (a farmer) had done a really bad job of fabricating a hydraulic tensioner. It was a grease unit. Exploded and failed, re-welded it, exploded again... Turned a new screw on a 9" southbend lathe, took days. Holds tight now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 9:44am
To prevent uneven wear on track those welded on pieces need to be even and uniform on track. On dozer not as much of a problem but on loader the pads are under more wear from turning force put on track. Also be sure if you weld on just one per pad it is on front of pad as further from the pine the more the pin works in the bushing.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 8:39pm
Hello Guys: Is anyone pushing snow with there HD6G shovel.

Also has anyone replaced a cutting blade on the front bucket before.  I am going to look the HD6G again tomorrow. 

Like to read all the good posts on the Great HD6.  Happy Holidays!!!
Dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 2:55pm
I installed in-line recirculating heaters on all my equipment, including my HD6Gs. Makes starting a cinch even in real cold weather. Had to drill the head and tap it but seemed to work ok. Don't generally use them in winter but I start them up a couple of times when a thaw comes. I have one positioned that if we get a major dump I could get it out to use. Are these recirc heaters what everyone else uses. I only use ether as a very last resort.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 3:06pm
Hey Dale: Can you give me a tune up on recirculating heaters.  Like what kind, what do they look like.  From your description I think that is a great idea! 

Jeepers, at this rate if we keep this thread going, we will be saying Merry HD6G Christmas to all the Allis Construction Machinery Men.

BTW does anyone know if John Carlson is still alive, he was the head of AC Construction Machinery at one time. 

Chris - Nice pics, Coke Dale, ACis best all good info.  Later - Orangeman.
Dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 4:11pm
There are different manufacturers. The last one I installed was a "Phillips & Temro Industries Ltd" make-model 41 Circulation Type ( apparently a subsidiary of The Budd Company). Cost me about $110.00. Looks like a silver canister (has a 1500 watt heater I think in the bottom). There's an outlet on top and one at side near bottom. On the HD6Gs, both my old buda ones and a late 60's one I have there is a plug right in the middle of the head at the rear (not the easiest access point). Plumb a fitting in there with a 90 elbow and with 5/8 heater hose go to top of heater. Then I plumbed the 5/8 heater hose from base of heater to the block drain on the right rear side of engine (mine had a tap there). I plumb it in so I can still drain the block there too. Ready to go.

One thing I have noticed-some of my heaters will trip my GFCIs when I plug them in and others won't. I have to remember which machine is sensitive to know where to park them in my shed. I've over time systematically done every diesel engine I own and it has virtually eliminated my need for ether (except for a pretty tired AC 210 that needs an engine job). It's amazing that if I plug anything in from 1 to 3 hours (depending on temperature) they start right up even in the coldest weather.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 1:03pm

Went to check on the machine today, engine says 3382 hours.  Undercarriage looks very good, but could not get the machine to shift into 3 or 4 gear. 

Should I be checking for wear on the fork components?  Seems like the shift tower had a lot of wobble to it, especially a you moved it from right to left.

Any ideas on what to look for on the shifting component. Also,  on the buda engines - do the cylinders come out the top or the bottom. 

Appreciate any advice... Happy New Year!  Orangeman....
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 1:29pm
If that trany is same as HD5, there is a cross pin held into shift tower by two bolts, The end of these bolts are turned down to fit into cross pin. This pin is then drilled and another smaller pin indexes into shift ball rod. End of this rod has ball that goes into shift rails. ball end wears and will slip out of rails, small pin wears in shift rod holes, cross pin bolt ends wear as does the pin itself.
 I made a larger cross pin and put larger small pin into that and fitter it into ball rod new holes, then rewelded the ball, The bolts to hold the new cross pin i made new and longer so they just touch the small pin which I ground flats on each side of. Now i shimmed those bolts so they just index aginst the pin but do not bind it. Full shifter is now tight and no wobble and easy to find all gears.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 3:44pm
Coke: Thanks for the super fast reply.  I am assuming the HD5 tranny is the same as the HD6, with the exception that the HD6 when equipped with the Tractomotive  TS-6 Shovel had a two speed reverse.

Now onto another question, does anyone have the Form Number that Allis used for the

REPAIR PARTS LIST for The Allis Chalmers HD6 Tractor??? 

I have the repair parts list for the HD 5 Tractor and it is FROM TPL - 206

What I am looking for is the parts schematic for the Front Idlers for the 6 machine.  I have been unable to locate either new Idler parts or used in NYS.  I checked the Track shops - Non available. 

Hate to see this HD6- G go to the blue torch, so will be trying to piece her back together.   Thanks Guys for any thoughts and have a Great New Year!!  I am out - Orangeman.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 4:04pm
All the undercarrage for 5 or 6 are the same , trany on late HD5 was 2 speed reverse also after 1952 i believe. Front ideler is the same also on both machines.
 Full rear housing and parts like bearings, shafts, clutches, brakes, sprockets, seals are also interchangable or same.
  Might as well try Thill Track and Tractor in Eau Claire WI , they probably have what you need or can find it in your area on hot-line
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 4:16pm

On the BUDA the piston is coming out by the top  and for the shifter remove the 2 bolts from the housing shifter and pull the lever gear shift and you should see  your shifting trouble

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 7:45am
Hey Coke and Gemdozer:  Have you guys experimented with building up the bottom rolls on a HD6.

On this machine the bushes are in real nice shape, but I noticed on the PIN bosses there is some wear, chaffing - that indicates to me that the cross section profile of the rolls is beyond limit.

Thoughts appreciated.  Thanks much - Orangeman.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 4:51pm
you can weld up the rollers, just be sure to disassemble them first as welding will burn the seals and grease. check the rest if the wear on yhour undercarriage, pin wear, bushing wear. etc. you may be able to find new shells for the rollers but tracks themselves are hard. you couls always trim the flanges with a torch if they are too far gone,
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 6:13pm
The HD5 and 6 rollers and top carrier are also Timken bearings and not bushings like found on most machines, also front ideler is timken bearings
 Most of the time when they are welded up they use submerged are wire feed welder for both the shells and the ideler wheel.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 6:38am
Guys:  What is the lift height of the loader bucket, I see my 5 manual says 9 ft.   I was hoping that maybe the 6 would be near 10'. 

Thanks Guys - Bright, Sunny and Cold here in NY.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 6:45am
Guys: Also wanted to post, I got an email from a guy in Sweden that converted an HD6 G into a hydro setup. 

Here is the email he sent.   Maybe will help someone.

To make it a bit shorter, took engineclutch,
 and housing away, made a plate insted. bolted on a sauer sundstrand 100cc hydrostaticpump. There was a stabiliziser (to the loader) that i had to change a bit. Made changes in the hydro tank,oil outlet to the pump and a return filter.

The hydro engine in the rear is also sauer sundstrand 150cc. usinga a thick steel plate that fits in the holes for the pto, the winch shaft had to be used among a bushing that will fit to the sauer sundstrand. right or wrong i welded it together.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 9:24am
I have run that idea through my head a few times, as it would do away with the need for the hand clutch and give one a variable speed. Using a pump + motor ahead of trany would seem easiest way. The ideal system would be to use two motors and replace trany and ring and pinion to drive reduction gears for track.
 This set up would allow counter revolution of track on one side for turning with power to both tracks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic