This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Found a snap coupler 160 mower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found a snap coupler 160 mower
    Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 10:24am
Hi Guys I was lucky and brought home an Allis Chalmers snap couple 160 rotary mower. I've seen some pull types but not to many snap couplers.

It seems to be in pretty solid shape and not rusted out. Blades are good but need sharpened.

Previous owner took off the front skids but they came with it.

It has a homemade tailwheel on it, but it should work ok.
The slip clutch has been welded together so that will need some attention.

Edited by Allis dave - 10 Jan 2024 at 12:43pm
Sponsored Links

AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 12:11pm
Sure don't see very many of those. I bid on a 3 point version 10 yesrs ago at an auction but the deck was rusted right out and I wasn't paying near what it went for ($450 i think was the sale price)
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 4:39pm
Early Danuser made unit, nice find!
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 4:48pm
That lookes like a rare find indeed.

I have a drawbar pull type mower with the two side wheels. 
Works well on the WD for chopping corn rubble after ear picking.

Had to use it a bit on the shaggy lawn after the zero turn decided it would only drive in circles... Another repair to do.

Was the wheel put on your mower find to run with a bad hydraulic lift? Or just ensure consistent height cutting?

Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 7:41pm
That will be fun to attach to the tractor.

And yes

Rare find !!!!!
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 5:41am
So did these snap coupler mowers not have any tailwheel from the factory? This tailwheel was in it when I got the mower. This is the only one I"ve ever seen that wasn't pull type
Looking at the way the hitch is solid you might not need one.

Edited by Allis dave - 11 Jan 2024 at 5:43am
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 9:06am
Mine has a factory tail wheel.  Below is a picture of mine with the tail wheel.  The manual shows them both with and without a tail wheel.  Mine has a sheer bolt rather than a slip clutch, but the manual shows the slip clutch as an option.  Wish mine was six foot rather than five (don't know if they made them six foot) and that it had a slip clutch.  It is not difficult to mount.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 10:41am
Thanks for the pictures Dave. That's a nice mower with a facotry tailwheel!
Your's is the first one I've seen other than the one I just bought. I have a snap coupler Wood's mower too, but I never got it running.

Sounds like maybe mine came wihtout a wheel and someone wanted on. seems like it would be nicer wiht a tailwheel. 
3-point mowers tend to just dig in if they ride on the ground.

I looked and there are several options to buy new aftermarket slip clutches for under $100.

It will probably go on my D17 becsaue I'm nervous to hit somehting and tear the PTO gears out of my WD45. I wish it was a 6' also to at least cover the tracks
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 11:57am
Yeah, I've looked into some aftermarket slip clutches, but they didn't appear that they would work.  Be neat to find a factory one!  Being just five foot, it doesn't cover the tracks on my '45, so I generally use my six foot pull type, with the mower wheels set in the back of the mower.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 11:21pm
I got my 160 as a pull type but made it into a snap coupler.
I would like to make a rear dolly wheel sometime to make it better.
Dave, what size of tail wheel is that?
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 8:15am
Well, I found some notes from when I was looking for a new tire for it.  Notes say 4 x 16 semi-pneumatic tire.  Like a planter packing wheel tire.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 9:28am
One of those would look great behind the D-15! Wouldn't think they would be hard to hook up at all, probably do it all from the seat but the pto shaft. Had a Woods Dixie cutter that was snap-coupler, 5'. Sold it after getting the 7' Mohawk. Sometimes wish I had kept it. Did a great job and I had fixed everything that needed attention. Only dislike was that it would come unlatched sometimes in rough terrain.
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 8:25am
I have one just like it as well. It's actually supposed to be an overrunning clutch, not a slip clutch. Mine also was welded up. With a transmission driven pto it is necessary because of the blades momentum. I bought one of those overrunning pto adapters that goes on the tractors pto shaft. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 2:15pm
Started working on this and found the gearbox is full of grease. Output shaft may have a  little play but need to investgate further. Are seals and bearings still available?
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 3:13pm
Dave here's some pictures out of my 160 parts books you'll have to a a 70 to the front of the parts number.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 4:17pm
Thank You!!! That's very helpful. Now I can call and see what's available before I tear it apart. I"m guessing the bearings and seals are just a standard size that could be matched up.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 5:35pm
Kenny not 70 on all those numbers. Just 7 to the seven digit numbers. You want to end up with eight digits for agco numbering.
Which parts are you looking for. I’ll check our stuff

Edited by Mikez - 01 Apr 2024 at 5:36pm
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 6:04pm

I have one of those very tongues on my fence line.

G
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 7:28am
Hi Mike,
I'd be interestd in the whole slip clutch assembly if you have one.
As far as the gear box, I havne't torn it apart yet
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 10:20am
I'd like to have one of these mowers with the S/C hitch preferably.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:51am
I'd take a slip clutch assembly too, if you have additional ones Mike.  Thanks, Dave
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 2:19pm
Do you have part numbers
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

I'd like to have one of these mowers with the S/C hitch preferably.

Mike, call me when you can, I've one that I might sell.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 5:27pm
This all I can find in the book I've.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 6:47pm
I’ve been living with a shear bolt and it will only shear when I have it on my 45 with a D262D mowing trees
I rebuilt mine years ago ( its on this forum somewhere) with Timken bearings and 85-140 gear oil.
I’ll look and see if I can find the thread…
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 7:42pm
Well, my owner's manual does not show a part number for the slip clutch.  It simply says the mower can be purchased with a slip clutch as a factory installation and has a picture.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 3:23pm
Dave show me what you have. I’ll see what I can find. The picture that Kenny put up looks like Dave’s first picture 
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 3:58pm
Here is a picture of the slip clutch from the manual.

Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 3:59pm
Oh, I see there is a number at the top of the page I didn't see before; 532768.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 10:31pm
The only parts we have left is #4 and #8 in Kenny picture 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic