This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14K Gooseneck Deckover Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14K Gooseneck Deckover Recommendations
    Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:00am
I've been wanting to purchase a deckover GN trailer for a while. It needs to be 14K in order to stay at 26K GCWR with my truck, which is a 2003 Ram 3500 diesel 4x4 with the 6-speed manual. After looking through this fun thread on here (https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/whats-your-towing-rig_topic46651_page1.html) I further confirmed that I'm looking for a 20' + 5' dovetail since I can still get 2 WC/WD/WD-45 size tractors on it at once if needed. Can't imagine hauling anything bigger than maybe a D-19 or 190XT in the near future and I think they'll be light enough as long as they're not all ballasted down.

There are way more trailer manufacturers out there than I ever knew about. Load Trail, PJ, and Big Tex look like they would have trailers that meet my specs and have dealers nearby. Direct sale places like Kaufman and Texas Pride would be options, too. The Kaufman looked a little cheap compared to the other trailers when I got to looking at specs. What do you guys recommend for brands?
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:26am
70C2627A-68F9-4E96-A9D7-00745E2E5A82.jpeg I borrowed this Gator trailer from my friend. It is a very nice and well built trailer. They thought of the little things when they built it like steps and grab handles.
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:39am
Around here corn pro has been the big seller for years.Probably not many corn pro dealers in your neck of the woods though.Guess it boils down to what dealers are in your area.Gatormade out of kentucky has gotten more popular around here in recent years also.Here's my setup 97 f-250 7.3 diesel automatic w/4.10 gears.Corn pro 20+4 14k, bought three months after the truck in 97.                                                                            
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 11:33am
I brought a 2007 Lanchester Aluminum gooseneck. For my needs I got a 20' flat deck with slide in ramps so I could use a loading dock.  It has an empty weight of 3400 pounds with a 14K rating. With the rubber torsion axles, if bolts or any other small parts are left loose on the deck, they will still be there when you get to where you're going.  Aluminum will cost more and it's worth it. 

If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 12:19pm
Be aware, once you meld a pickup to a trailer and have any form or function as a Commercial Truck the rules change. Combination Vehicles become a issue and a target for DOT crowds. HAS to be registered as FARM in MO for exempt status, can show any number of documents as to your own machines onboard but if the license is NOT Farm with Farm Registry the Brown Shirts can put you under a microscope.

Tire weight capacities, brakes functionality, Breakaway brake system functional, Mudflaps and that list gets bigger. How do I know you may ask, been stopped with 24K BL License on a F250SD Diesel well UNDER Weight for truck/trailer and load but they did Check EVERYTHING, had every right to. Then the discussion changed to CDL as to COMBINATION VEHICLE, I do have a Class A so not a problem.

Edited by DMiller - 26 Apr 2020 at 12:22pm
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Be aware, once you meld a pickup to a trailer and have any form or function as a Commercial Truck the rules change. Combination Vehicles become a issue and a target for DOT crowds. HAS to be registered as FARM in MO for exempt status, can show any number of documents as to your own machines onboard but if the license is NOT Farm with Farm Registry the Brown Shirts can put you under a microscope.

Tire weight capacities, brakes functionality, Breakaway brake system functional, Mudflaps and that list gets bigger. How do I know you may ask, been stopped with 24K BL License on a F250SD Diesel well UNDER Weight for truck/trailer and load but they did Check EVERYTHING, had every right to. Then the discussion changed to CDL as to COMBINATION VEHICLE, I do have a Class A so not a problem.

I understand that there will be additional scrutiny and I need to have my ducks in a row as far as equipment goes in case I get pulled over by a guy looking to find something. Are you saying MO considers under 26K GCWR hauling your own property to be Commercial and I would be in violation of something if I pass through the state? I do not have a farm or business entity. No issues in KS or IL that I am aware of and I have lived in both of those states.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 2:24pm
Just let er roll, and let the cards fall where they do, Ive done this for years, if its a long trip do it at night,, never went thru a weight station,, never had a problem at all, they are interested in the big trucks ,,  
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 2:25pm
Whatever you buy, be SURE it HAS backup lights ! All 7 pin setups have the capability, yet NONE of the local mfrs here put them on..... Talk about penny pinchin.......

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
lowell66dart View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowell66dart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 2:35pm
I have a Moritz that I am very happy with. Lots of extras are standard. True wiring harness.
AC 6080 (8030,7060,200,175,D-17HC, 6040,160,6140 all gone) Farmall 1066 & 656 Hi-Clear (for sale), White 2-62 High Clearance, JD 4255 Hi Clear.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 2:54pm
I had a 31ft, 26' w/5' dovetail, I bought from E-W Trailer in Whitesboro, OK.  Two 7K axels, good trailer, pulled good but I just kept putting more on it than my truck should pull and besides, I ain't loading these tractors that high anymore.
Maximum use of available resources!
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 4:30pm
Unless your farming anything over I believe 12,000 lbs must have a US DOT number. Not hard to get and if memory serves a one time fee. They were nailing cattle jockies hauling horses into a big auction a few years back. State boy sat 1/2 mile from the driveway
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 5:25pm
John,
 Will be watching! A friend of mine just bought a new trailer. It would haul your two tractors. I would like to haul about the same tractors as your planning. My little goose neck is great for the D17. But I cant haul my 11K TD6! And I sure cant haul two WD's.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Boss Man Boss Man wrote:

Unless your farming anything over I believe 12,000 lbs must have a US DOT number. Not hard to get and if memory serves a one time fee. They were nailing cattle jockies hauling horses into a big auction a few years back. State boy sat 1/2 mile from the driveway

For commercial operations, correct? Must have been that they had a GCWR over 10K and with taking horses to an auction, were involved in business/commerce?
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

John,
 Will be watching! A friend of mine just bought a new trailer. It would haul your two tractors. I would like to haul about the same tractors as your planning. My little goose neck is great for the D17. But I cant haul my 11K TD6! And I sure cant haul two WD's.
Regards,
 Chris

I would like to be able to haul a Dresser TD8, Case 450-sized dozer, or even a Case 580 backhoe but have decided that won't happen with this trailer purchase. I can't see any way to safely stay under 26K hauling something like that. I could try to establish a farm (which is in the plans someday) and license my truck and trailer for farm use and be okay with an over 26K setup in-state or within 150 miles of my place, but then if I'm hauling farther than that it gets complicated. Or, if I'm not using it for farm use that's another problem.

I have to admit the rules are messy. Kansas at least has some pretty good documents available explaining requirements for farm use and exemptions.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:02pm
What has slipped the wrench into the works have been the Hotshot Driver Operations working Under the GVWR Limits, big Wreck in NE US last year of a Non CDL driver in a Ton truck pulling cars on a lightweight trailer killed bikers, a few others in the Central South and many in urban areas used by Landscapers set off a tirade of demands to get them under control. Quite a few states that were wearing blinders have taken them off. DOT Here sees a Half Ton pickup dragging a 36' RV that it is NOT rated for they are pulling them over. Brother In Law's neighbor just went thru that as "Had managed with this truck for five years" and now they fined him for being over capacity on Name Plate Data Tag. His decision was to razor blade the weight tags off the door pillar, License as a RV and try again this year.

DOT is NOT playing ignore or blind anymore.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:43pm
Locally here in the middle atlantic area, the DOT has ease up on big trucks except for obvious violations. I've only had 1 random inspection in the past 20 years.  Now the small landscaper types, I see pulled over all the time. Most don't have any markings, which is a dead giveaway for a 1 ton dually pulling a trailer. Now they're even going after the overloaded harry-homeowners hauling mulch in pissy little 1/2 tons. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

What has slipped the wrench into the works have been the Hotshot Driver Operations working Under the GVWR Limits, big Wreck in NE US last year of a Non CDL driver in a Ton truck pulling cars on a lightweight trailer killed bikers, a few others in the Central South and many in urban areas used by Landscapers set off a tirade of demands to get them under control.

Agreed on the hot shot guys. Lots of them are doing it legally but others aren't, and this is why I can't get too mad if a state trooper or DOT officer checks on guys like me with a dually and a gooseneck flatbed. I understand what they're trying to do and why they need to do it, and I can't blame them.
TOM (NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:35am
I purchased a Big Tex 14GN 20' + 5' dovetail with Mega Ramps the first of the year. After looking at many brands, found it a little better built than most. After getting pricing from many dealers, I purchased mine from Redline Trailers in St Joseph, MO who offered the best price. I can haul 2 WD45's legally, no ballast in tractor tires. 2014 F250 running farm plates on truck. In Feb. I trucked a tractor from White Pains, MO to Nebraska going thru all scales without any issues. Really like how nice the trailer pulls. Highly recommend the wide Mega ramps, makes loading a lot safer to do with trailer being higher off the ground.

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:23pm
Wjohn, do you have a cdl license, is it a class B if so I don't think you can tow a 14000 gross weight trailer, the most that a towed unit can weight is 10001 GVWR. When I bought my trailer I had to indicate if I wanted it titled 10000 or 14000 and if I went 14000 I would have to have a class A license to legally tow it, with that said I license it for 14000 and I only have a class B. I know this has been talk about before on the forum.
  PS I just look on the back of my license and it read the towed unit is less than 10001 GVWR, I  think I'm reading that right. 

Edited by Kenny L. - 28 Apr 2020 at 10:31pm
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:45pm
Most of these laws are state specific. I know in TN you can gross whatever you want, and you aren't required to have CDL if you are running farm tags. Also, a commercial operation doesn't even have to have a DOT number, as long as you don't cross state lines. DOT around here won't hardly bother farmers at all, they seem to want to go where the money is, big commercial operators. 
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Kenny L. Kenny L. wrote:

Wjohn, do you have a cdl license, is it a class B if so I don't think you can tow a 14000 gross weight trailer, the most that a towed unit can weight is 10001 GVWR. When I bought my trailer I had to indicate if I wanted it titled 10000 or 14000 and if I went 14000 I would have to have a class A license to legally tow it, with that said I license it for 14000 and I only have a class B. I know this has been talk about before on the forum.
  PS I just look on the back of my license and it read the towed unit is less than 10001 GVWR, I  think I'm reading that right. 

Iowa must be different. In Kansas a non-commercial class C (default) is good for any non-commercial vehicle-trailer combo under 26K, or a vehicle up to 26K by itself towing a trailer up to 10K.

Like m16ty mentioned the DL classes are all state-specific. Can't remember for sure if they gave me a class C or D years ago back in Illinois. It's been awhile but I THINK the default was a class D which is only good for up to 16K there.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:24am
x2

I also have a Moritz and have had good luck
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:40am
CDL is not based on State limits but Federal, States just pick nd choose what they will address within the rules. A big concern is of your insurer, if and HEAVEN Forbid are in a accident, the State DOT get involved and find you deficient License wise or over capacity for license or outside legal requirements they can refuse to pay claims.   Have seen that as a Commercial Driver where a claim against a Trucking company became a lawsuit as the Insurer dropped them and would not pay damages due to policies violating Requirements. Even if did pay could likely never afford insurance ever again.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

x2

I also have a Moritz and have had good luck

I hadn't heard of them yet, probably because the nearest dealer is in Missouri, almost to Illinois. They look like nice trailers so I may have to swing by on one of my trips back to Illinois.

I see Moritz's trailer in the size I'm looking for is 14500 GVWR. I have had some locals tell me that when buying a new trailer you can get it titled for less than the manufacturer's GVWR... In this case I'd need it to be 14000 (+12000 for my truck thus keeping me legal and under 26001). Has anyone else done this?
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:05pm
Mine is a 14,000, de-rated to 10, mfg attached a secondary ID plate with new weights just under the original. Been that way for 20 years, when trailer has been checked, never had a problem when enforcement looked at the ID plate
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 11:46pm
have a 27' Load Trail that I bought in Missouri at Cooper's trailer corral  Pull it with a 2017 F250 gas and pulls good.  Pulled it before with an F250 Diesel but don't need the diesel as I moved home and only put about 8000 miles a year on the new truck.  Have loaded an M Farmall and a WD45 on it with no problems.  I have been all over the Midwest with it and have never been through a scale or been stopped.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic