This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

200 quits running

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 200 quits running
    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:45pm
My 200 will slow down and die after about 5 minutes of running. It will start back up but want to die again. A while back I read somewhere on this board about a similar problem but cant find the thread. I also remember someone saying to loosen the timing cover and let it leak and see if that fixes it, it does.
I am guessing it is time for a pump rebuild but is there a quick fix to get me going for a couple weeks until I have time to get it fixed right?
This tractor has been my light duty tractor for about 30 years and has been absolutley reliable for ever, currently has less than 3000 hours on it.
Thanks for any help

In the shed- 7020,7060, L2 X (2), CII, WD X (2), 200, 210, 611H, 440, Fiat Allis 345B
Sponsored Links

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:52pm
Take out the top fitting and knock the ball and spring out, and that will get you by for a few weeks until you can be down for pump rebuild. Very common issue on the Roosa DB pump. I rebuild a bunch of them for this reason. I typically update it to the newer style, so modern fuel won't attack it like just putting in a new flex ring again. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:52pm
On the top cover of the injection pump there is a return line. Disconnect the hose from the nipple that is attached to the pumps top cover.  Remove the nipple from the cover. Take the nipple to a bench grinder and lightly grind on the threaded end to make it just a tad shorter. This will allow you to pry out the flat washer that is crimped in the end of the nipple.  Throw away the washer, glass ball and spring that are inside the fitting and make sure it is clean and free to flow air. Reinstall in the pump and get the injection pump overhauled in the next 50  to 100 hrs.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:28pm
When the glass ball/spring get "blasted" out of the line, do they need replaced after the pump has been repaired ? If not, why were they spec'd in the first place?

Edited by FREEDGUY - 31 Mar 2020 at 5:29pm
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:09pm
When the return fitting is plugged, it gets replaced upon rebuild. It is used to maintain a slight amount of housing pressure to help stabilize the advance mechanism. It will work without the ball & spring, for temporary use.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
ranger43 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:12pm
This sequence of events happened to me last year on my 210. I was in the middle of a field, luckily had a small punch...knocked out the ball and finished up. Sent the pump to Ed for a rebuild this winter and tractor runs better than ever. I will be sending all my pumps his way from now on.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:30pm
If you haven’t already, I would disconnect the fuel line under the right rear tire, back side, put a hose on it and drain 5 gallons of fuel out to make sure you have flow 1st. This has saved me money on fuel pump repairs.
ranger43 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:35pm
good point!!....I had a combine acting up in a similar manner....had a fiber of corn fodder stuck in the petcock restricting fuel flow...took awhile to figure it out.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:11am
OP said loosening the timing window cover allowed it to keep running. There is no question it is a plugged return circuit due to a broken down flex ring. It is time for a pump rebuild. 
badjeep View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:44pm
Thanks InjpumpEd and the good Dr. for the help, that will get me going for the weekend. Pump rebuild coming up, looks like I found a project to spend my corona cash. Instead of ruining the  check valve I just replaced the fitting for now with an open one.

Edited by badjeep - 01 Apr 2020 at 4:46pm
In the shed- 7020,7060, L2 X (2), CII, WD X (2), 200, 210, 611H, 440, Fiat Allis 345B
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:50pm
Just as good.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:51pm
Is that the same fitting that's on a F2 Gleaner with a 433 ??  I remember taking a fitting off to clean/remove the black plastic pieces out of the return line( our local independent frowned on the breaking the glass ball), but I don't recall this (pictured) fitting ?? And YES, there were MANY  "clean-outs" that fall Ouch. The pump was rebuilt off-season the following spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic