This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snap coupler rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orangeinwisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snap coupler rebuild
    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:30pm
Long time ago I bookmarked a thread that is now gone. It talked about rebuilding the snap coupler. I thought it said the top of the hook was supposed to be flat, and if it had a groove worn, that you were supposed to build it back up and grind it flat. Is this correct, and is this piece cast?
Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 8:54am
That might have been my thread. The edges of the bell get mushroomed out and then get sloppy. The support gets the groves worn in it. I'm not sure what that support is made of. Have been lucky enough to have pretty good ones on my working tractors. I have a 57 WD45 that the coupler is very worn, if I ever get to working on it, will probably replace the support and the bell, have a NOS bell and latch, not sure what I've got around for a support.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 11:36am
We have had a couple of these apart. I am sure they have some wear. The spring is usually what everyone suggests be replaced. I have never had good un-worn parts to compare, so I just clean and check every thing and put them back together. Not what you were looking for but the best I can do for you at this time. I probably have some pictures.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 4:48pm
I have discovered some snap-coupler hooks are more substantial than others........
unfortunately, I don't know which tractor either of these came from.
Orangeinwisco View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orangeinwisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 9:27pm
That's what it was, the top of the bell gets a groove. Think I need to fix up the 45 this winter. Wouldn't hurt to change the spring in the WD either.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 12:25am
Guys please change those springs. I have a huge scar on my back where my plow came unhooked and landed on top of me. As a result I have had severe back pain for 40+ years.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 9:02am
I think I have pictures on my old camera that aren't on this computer that illustrate the wear. I'll try to find and post them maybe tomorrow, supposed to rain quite a bit.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 10:07am
Don't say that I'm Roofin the garage! Confused
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
John (MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 8:48pm
50 years ago this spring, a plow came to visit me in the seat of a WD45. I still have a small scar on my left arm where that plow grazed me. Make sure you rebuild that coupler well.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 9:29pm
Snap coupler bell/spring/hook restoration is a topic that gets discussed a lot in bits and pieces. Usually, as is the case in this thread, there's reference to a plow landing in the operator's seat.......seems that this is serious enough a risk to warrant a good "how-to" thread. Is there one? if not, can someone create one?
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:02am
The "eye" broke on my plow. The lift latches opened and the plow stayed in the ground.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:12am
     Does anyone use a chain under the tongue of the plow to prevent it from digging into the ground if  it comes  loose? I attach a chain to a hole on both sides of the mount for the drawbar bail. The chain is draped beneath the tongue low enough to allow the plow to go into the ground but not allow the tongue to go lower than that. Make sense?
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

The "eye" broke on my plow. The lift latches opened and the plow stayed in the ground.
That's what should happen. When I read these stories about the plow hitting people in the back, I wonder it it is a pin-coupler plow with a snap-coupler eye and the original lift links.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 9:03am
Here is a pic of the worn bell I replaced on my narrow front 45, note the mushrooming on the rails.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 9:09am
Picture of the 'support' that the bell pins to. You can see the groves worn into it. When i redid this tractor I found good used parts, the bell could be welded up, not sure on the support.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic