Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=164589
Printed Date: 09 May 2024 at 12:16pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Snap coupler rebuild
Posted By: Orangeinwisco
Subject: Snap coupler rebuild
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 9:30pm
Long time ago I bookmarked a thread that is now gone. It talked about rebuilding the snap coupler. I thought it said the top of the hook was supposed to be flat, and if it had a groove worn, that you were supposed to build it back up and grind it flat. Is this correct, and is this piece cast?

Replies:
Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 8:54am
That might have been my thread. The edges of the bell get mushroomed out and then get sloppy. The support gets the groves worn in it. I'm not sure what that support is made of. Have been lucky enough to have pretty good ones on my working tractors. I have a 57 WD45 that the coupler is very worn, if I ever get to working on it, will probably replace the support and the bell, have a NOS bell and latch, not sure what I've got around for a support.

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 11:36am
We have had a couple of these apart. I am sure they have some wear. The spring is usually what everyone suggests be replaced. I have never had good un-worn parts to compare, so I just clean and check every thing and put them back together. Not what you were looking for but the best I can do for you at this time. I probably have some pictures.
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Posted By: Brian G. NY
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 4:48pm
I have discovered some snap-coupler hooks are more substantial than others........
unfortunately, I don't know which tractor either of these came from.

Posted By: Orangeinwisco
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 9:27pm
That's what it was, the top of the bell gets a groove. Think I need to fix up the 45 this winter. Wouldn't hurt to change the spring in the WD either.

Posted By: 200Tom1
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 12:25am
Guys please change those springs. I have a huge scar on my back where my plow came unhooked and landed on top of me. As a result I have had severe back pain for 40+ years.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 9:02am
I think I have pictures on my old camera that aren't on this computer that illustrate the wear. I'll try to find and post them maybe tomorrow, supposed to rain quite a bit.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 10:07am
Don't say that I'm Roofin the garage! Confused

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: John (MO)
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 8:48pm
50 years ago this spring, a plow came to visit me in the seat of a WD45. I still have a small scar on my left arm where that plow grazed me. Make sure you rebuild that coupler well.

Posted By: Dave(inMA)
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 9:29pm
Snap coupler bell/spring/hook restoration is a topic that gets discussed a lot in bits and pieces. Usually, as is the case in this thread, there's reference to a plow landing in the operator's seat.......seems that this is serious enough a risk to warrant a good "how-to" thread. Is there one? if not, can someone create one?

-------------
WC, CA, D14, WD45

Posted By: Lon(MN)
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:02am
The "eye" broke on my plow. The lift latches opened and the plow stayed in the ground.

Posted By: ac hunter
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:12am
     Does anyone use a chain under the tongue of the plow to prevent it from digging into the ground if  it comes  loose? I attach a chain to a hole on both sides of the mount for the drawbar bail. The chain is draped beneath the tongue low enough to allow the plow to go into the ground but not allow the tongue to go lower than that. Make sense?

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

The "eye" broke on my plow. The lift latches opened and the plow stayed in the ground.
That's what should happen. When I read these stories about the plow hitting people in the back, I wonder it it is a pin-coupler plow with a snap-coupler eye and the original lift links.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 9:03am
Here is a pic of the worn bell I replaced on my narrow front 45, note the mushrooming on the rails.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 9:09am
Picture of the 'support' that the bell pins to. You can see the groves worn into it. When i redid this tractor I found good used parts, the bell could be welded up, not sure on the support.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net