This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ca run a brush hog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:17am
You know you stole that tractor. You better drop an extra sawbuck or two in the plate at church just to stay in good favor.
Sponsored Links

Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 10:12am
I know I did, the guy wanted 1500 for it and I told him with needing new rims that were spin out and new front tires and rims that I had to be at that price for me to buy it and he agreed (I couldn't get the cash out of my pocket fast enough 😆)
Which by the time that I got new spin-out rims and components for it a new front tires I was not taking advantage of him at all, but still a really good running CA it just needed some TLC from not being used for a couple years and I do believe him that the motor was rebuilt because this thing runs really strong other than it's spitting and sputtering which I think is just a matter of tune up...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

Here's a picture of my CA with the brush hog connected finally today. I did run a couple tests on it and everything seem to be going okay other than at one point I raised the unit up and I could not lower it back down it's almost like the hydraulics got locked up and would not lower but I checked them before I even connected to it, what do you guys think that could cause this?

I don't know if I can change the settings like in the shop manual how it goes step-by-step how to set one of these pumps and maybe mine is just not set right? It seemed to work a few times just like it should and intermittently it gets stuck in the up position and with the handle how it should go down I can stand on the brush hog in bounce and it still won't go down, after I parked it in the barn it took about 15 minutes for it to gradually settle down onto the floor. The main problem with this is I need it to be sitting on the ground while I'm brush hogging to eliminate my front end from popping up because of the weight going up little hills and stuff I've popped a couple of wheelies and that's not good feeling when it happens with not being able to lower it onto the ground to control this...

Update to this question about getting my pump to lower after raising it all the way up( it really likes lifting up, but will still not go down other than after sitting off for 1/2 hr or so...
I've started to do the set up from the pump setup page in shop manual but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not going to help with this issue, but it's the easiest first option I have to try.it actually worked raising and lowering hydraulic cylinders before I replaced the rear fluid, now after I " thought I helped the situation by doing routine maintenance it only raises???
Any ideas welcome, thanks Matt
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 5:44am
I remember tearing the pump apart 3 times to get ALL the gunk and krap outta it before it'd work like it should. I think it was the 'screw and ball' on the front of the unit that was the culprit.that was 10 year ago. dang ball 'went for a roll'...2 hrs later found it on the concrete floor..THAT.. I remember... whew....
someone with a CA will respond..wish I still had mine...,sniff

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 6:10am
Yeah I'm kind of mad at myself for trying to make this thing run better and last longer by changing all the oil because as soon as I did it quit working altogether whereas if I left it as it was I could have finished all my chores then replaced all the oil 😆

If I could put all that milky watery oil back in I might do it just so I could have it working again for a couple days but I hate to abuse things that are old to begin with so I figured I would put new oil in it before I started abusing it and it bit me in the butt

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 30 Jul 2019 at 6:12am
UncleRuckus717 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleRuckus717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 12:19pm
I may have missed it, but have you tried adjusting the thumbscrew the changes the lowering speed of the hydraulics? If I'm not mistaken, the pumps on the B C and CA are pretty similar, there should be an adjustment thumbscrew you can use to tune the lowering speed. It could be your old water-mix hydraulic fluid was thin enough to allow the hydraulics to lower correctly as set. Using the correct oil (which is obviously thicker than water) could cause the hydraulics to lower PAINFULLY slowly (over night!) or not at all. What type of fluid did you use when you did the change? (Sorry if I missed that).
1949 Model B
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 12:32pm
I have not started to adjust that part yet, but I am going to be here in about the next half hour.
I used oil from my local TSC called supers 303 tractor hydraulic fluid (it looks to actually have a picture of a Allis Chalmers model c a right on the front)
Any tips or tricks to adjusting this pump would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'm going to delve into the adjustments of this and hopefully I can make an improvement. I thought I had seen somewhere in here that it said to have the cylinders fully extended?
UncleRuckus717 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UncleRuckus717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 1:30pm
I have only worked on my B personally, so hopefully some of the experts will chime in about the CA adjustment specifically. I read the service manual I have that covers the G, B, C and CA and it does not mention the adjustment for the lowering control screw under the CA hydraulic pump section. With my B I just lifted the implement, adjusted the screw a little bit one way, and lowered the implement until I was happy with the speed. I am sorry I do not have more information specific to the CA. The 303 from TSC is the same stuff I have used for years, works well for me in all seasons, so I'd say we can surely rule out the hydraulic fluid as a culprit. Good luck!
1949 Model B
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 12:17am
So I set all to the specs, only will raise still no lowering...

Decided to start up tractor and play with adjustment s and whala! It's raising and lowering (the setup shows the 1/4" diameter
operating rod should be out at end of rod but for this pump it wanted it right physically dead center on rod)
I know it is probably a quick fix but at least I can finish brush hog work and a couple other projects with it until I can remove pump and see what's worn out internally 👍
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:56am
I'm happy you got it working right, if not properly !
When you goto 'look at the pump'...
...be sure to clean off workbench, lay down  USED white bedsheet or towel, have LOTS of GOOD lighting, 2-3 copies of the pages about the pump and sweep the floor real good BEFORE opening up the pump. The check balls( ball bearings) are spring loaded and WILL want to escape ! I had to clean mine 3 times before I got all of the 60 year old slimy sludge out of the innards of the pump.
cheers
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:34am
A arasol can or two of Brake Clean.
And just maybe if it is working you should'n fix it, like I do sometimes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic