This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Costco going in the chicken business

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Costco going in the chicken business
    Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:09pm
[TUBE]MSvCK_xH84s[/TUBE]

Edited by nella(Pa) - 13 Jan 2019 at 1:10pm
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 3:32pm
If they build a plant that processes 2 million birds a week then that will be a MASSIVE plant and they will have to have hundreds of farms to keep it going. I think she meant to say 2 million POUNDS. That's doable. If my memory serves me right, the Pilgrim plant we grow for processes around 400,000 birds a week and that averages 1.8 million pounds a week. I think they have 80 or so farms averaging, I'm guessing, 5 to 6 houses per farm.

Edited by thendrix - 13 Jan 2019 at 4:13pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 6:32pm
costco numbers around here are quoted at 4 houses per farm and around 110 farms, per processing plant.
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 7:03pm
Any idea what size houses? Ours are going to be 50x600 and will house about 39,000 birds each. If they're building 4 per farm and 110 farms per plant them it's definitely 2 million pounds per week
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 7:33pm
Most new houses being built here are between 42 feet wide and 66 feet wide. I've heard of some experimental houses being built in Alabama that are 80 feet wide. They say once you get in the 60 foot range it's almost impossible to get ventalation in the center of the house. That's why Pilgrim won't let us go over 50 feet. What kind of temps do you Nebraska folks see?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 11:40pm
Hot in the summer, cold in the winter!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 2:00am
our winter temps can/has been down to 18 degrees below and as high as 120 plus on the other end. Cosco is building that plant about 30 miles from me, there are a few houses still being built a few miles in all directions of me, a lot of the houses were shot down by the city bots and county board. I reported the sizes of them in an earlier post, but don't remember right now on that. I was surprised that they are all being made out of wood, no steel buildings. Cosco had to work hard to let them build that plant here. no one wanted them here. I have a gut feeling that there's gonna be trouble down the road after everything is built and operating.
PaulW(NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 4:22am
Going to have 2 setups within 5 miles of where I live. One will have 190000 birds and another with 380000 birds. Each barn is supposed to hold 47500 birds each.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:46am
wonder how many times there will be recalls on chicky meat from them? no offence to you TYler, but it seems when there are large factory farming of any type meat producing, usually a disgruntled employee somewhere in the start to finish line will ruin a lot of meat.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:05am
Costco came and gave the sales pitch to our local farmers.   The numbers wouldn't line up for me.  About the time that it's paid for, it's all worn out.   Basicly no spreadable manure  for 5yrs, if your looking at value added options.   No use of your farm products for feed as it comes from costco feed mill.   Not really enuff income to have a fulltime employee (someone has to be in that house working 365 days a year).  It just didn't add up in my book.
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by tomNE tomNE wrote:

Costco came and gave the sales pitch to our local farmers.   The numbers wouldn't line up for me.  About the time that it's paid for, it's all worn out.   Basicly no spreadable manure  for 5yrs, if your looking at value added options.   No use of your farm products for feed as it comes from costco feed mill.   Not really enuff income to have a fulltime employee (someone has to be in that house working 365 days a year).  It just didn't add up in my book.

I have been in farming for a long time and the numbers never ever added up. Anyone that wants to disagree, I have a farm to sell that you can try it on!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:59am
With temps that extreme they're going to have a hard time paying gas and electric bills. tomNE, you should have litter to spread in the first year. Absolutely no reason it should take 5 years. I'm betting they'll be selling whole fryers meaning about 35 days in the grow cycle then a couple of weeks off/time to get ready. It's not a 365 job. Especially if they're antibiotic free. The biggest hurdle I see is the temps. If any of you guys have any info on the construction and equipment I'd like to see it just to see how others do it

Edited by thendrix - 14 Jan 2019 at 9:00am
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:01am
Also, if any of you guys are considering it I'd be happy to give some insight. I've been around it a day or two (about 30 years to be exact)

Edited by thendrix - 14 Jan 2019 at 9:02am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by nella(Pa) nella(Pa) wrote:

Originally posted by tomNE tomNE wrote:

I have been in farming for a long time and the numbers never ever added up. Anyone that wants to disagree, I have a farm to sell that you can try it on!
Heard that.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:39am

I can forsee a couple of new depts. at Costco.

One will be the Kirkland Brand 'Pillow Dept.', pillows stuffed with their very own Chicken feathers.

Another will be their own Kirkland Brand dog and catfood, made with their very own 'chicken meat byproducts'.

Wonder how many tons of chicken manure will be produced 'daily',
and what will it be used for?

Gary
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 11:56am
they'll prolly come grab it and bag it for sale
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 1:55pm
When we take out the caked litter we get roughly 50 to 60 tons I guess. Usually it's around 7 weeks between clean outs. Ours is a small farm. About 72,000 birds. We spread it on pastures and hay fields for fertilizer.

Edited by thendrix - 15 Jan 2019 at 1:55pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 2:45pm
yeesh 50 to 60 TONS !!!
gives a whole new meaning to being 'chickensheet' !!
gotta be a GREAT market for that as compost I'd think.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 4:29pm
Didn't Arkansas have a chicken shhhheeet problem at one time with it spread all over.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 4:59pm
Maybe they will raise chickens the right way:
https://mainstreetproject.org/

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 5:31pm
WOW Main Street Project  $13 - $16 a chicken, definitely right for someone. Stern Smile

Edited by chaskaduo - 15 Jan 2019 at 5:32pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 6:22pm
I don't get the "no usable manure for 5 years". We have a very large chicken farm outside town. Those birds started crapping as soon as they were put in the buildings. Pits were full within a year. They now dry it down and market it that way, store it in separate facility. I have used it in hay ground in February. It will grow some assume hay
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:15pm
If you left litter in for 5 years you'd have feet rather than inches. Ideal depth is 6 to 10 inches. That depth is good insulation in the winter with plenty of drying potential but not deep enough to produce significant heat in the summer. When these houses were cleaned out to the dirt we put in 4 to 5 inches of fresh saw dust and added maybe an inch or so every time we cleaned out for the next 4 to 5 flocks. Now it's deep enough we can clean out the cake without adding any dust.

Edited by thendrix - 15 Jan 2019 at 8:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic