This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

yugga

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yugga
    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:21am
I'm guessing this carb may need a little cleanup before it gets reinstalled.

anyone else got some truly ugly discoveries to show?
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:28am
na...just some fresh gas and minor adjustment..
it'll purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !Tongue
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:43am
I'd put it in a bucket of used motor oil and just walk off and forget about it for at least a month, longer won't hurt. Then put in carb. cleaner and let it set a few days. Don't repair any damaged places with J.B. Weld as gasoline deteriorates it. That will usually get rid of corrosion. You can use a cutting torch tip cleaner to clean out the passages, but be careful.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:47am
Get a coleman stove, (or some kind of outside burner), get a pot of water (I usually add some lemon juice as well) and bring it to a hard boil. Disassemble the carb as best you can, and just boil the heck out of it for a few hours. That'll usually clean it up well. Had an old army guy tell me that, and it worked one the last carb I rebuilt. 

Oh....make sure you use "soft" water. We have really hard water where I live, and the first time I tried this I just used hydrant water, without thinking. Cleaned the carb, but left it chalky white. Boiled again in bottled water, and that helped remove the deposits.

Edited by CrestonM - 07 Feb 2018 at 11:49am
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:52am
Engine, we have a problem!!!

drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:17pm
so, Creston -
you don't think taking it in to the kitchen and asking Joyce to keep it on the boil while she cooks would work?
uh... neither do i.  I have an old barbecue I use right outside my little shop.

and Leon - this is a "backup" carb now so I'm in no hurry.

right now I have the carb and the sediment bowl (in similar condition) soaking in some old gas... then I'll move on to the boiling water, then finish up with a 3 day soak in the new formula and not so strong Berryman dip and see what I've got.
I have great passage poke-out wire so I'm pretty sure I can get this working with little elbow grease but lots of patience.
thanks for the help.
but I still would like to see some other "horror" pictures...Dead
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:40pm
drobCA....I tried boiling mine in the house. After about 15 minutes, the smell was unbearable, so I took the pot outside, rigged up a gas burner, then boiled a couple hours out there, while the windows of the house were open, trying to air it out!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

drobCA....I tried boiling mine in the house. After about 15 minutes, the smell was unbearable, so I took the pot outside, rigged up a gas burner, then boiled a couple hours out there, while the windows of the house were open, trying to air it out!

I bet your folks didn't like that...lol...
Or maybe this is something they don't know about....yet??
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:51pm
Mom knew about it...she was a little hesitant, but gave me the go ahead to try, until the fumes started coming off the water. Lol
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 5:21pm
Looks like some of the Carbs that come in to me for rebuild. Looks like something was living in them. Glassbeader will clean that up lickity-split.  You may have to take a dremel tool to it and smooth out the float walls and floor of the rust worm really got to it. Looks like it did..... Renew the floats.
Steve@B&B

Edited by Steve in NJ - 07 Feb 2018 at 5:22pm
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:23pm
Hadda I 400 carb that was worse'n that.  Found it buried in the sand, beneath the tractor, in a junkyard...  Took it to rebuilder, and told him he'd earn his money on this one...Wink
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:38pm
I don't have any pics, but the MS on my OC46 had stalactites and stalagmites totally filling the cavity . The weird thing is, I had the engine popping a few times while pulling it before I took the carb off to check it out.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:42pm
Wow Charlie, that's amazing!
DakotaSteve View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DakotaSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:46pm
Put it in a bucket of acid for 6 mos.....if it's not there when u get to it at that point.....may be the best thing u could ask for....lol
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:47pm
yeah, Steve -
no glass beader (yet) but zero prob... I love my rototools and a nice bench job that i can do while watching a movie.

and Charlie - were your "growths" hard or soft?  this thing was absolutely 100% full of white powdery stuff except for a couple of places on the walls where there are hard white/grey deposits.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic