Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=147300
Printed Date: 09 May 2024 at 4:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: yugga
Posted By: drobCA
Subject: yugga
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 10:21am
I'm guessing this carb may need a little cleanup before it gets reinstalled.

anyone else got some truly ugly discoveries to show?

-------------
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.

Replies:
Posted By: jaybmiller
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:28am
na...just some fresh gas and minor adjustment..
it'll purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !Tongue

-------------
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:43am
I'd put it in a bucket of used motor oil and just walk off and forget about it for at least a month, longer won't hurt. Then put in carb. cleaner and let it set a few days. Don't repair any damaged places with J.B. Weld as gasoline deteriorates it. That will usually get rid of corrosion. You can use a cutting torch tip cleaner to clean out the passages, but be careful.

Posted By: CrestonM
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:47am
Get a coleman stove, (or some kind of outside burner), get a pot of water (I usually add some lemon juice as well) and bring it to a hard boil. Disassemble the carb as best you can, and just boil the heck out of it for a few hours. That'll usually clean it up well. Had an old army guy tell me that, and it worked one the last carb I rebuilt. 

Oh....make sure you use "soft" water. We have really hard water where I live, and the first time I tried this I just used hydrant water, without thinking. Cleaned the carb, but left it chalky white. Boiled again in bottled water, and that helped remove the deposits.

Posted By: JoeO(CMO)
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 11:52am
Engine, we have a problem!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 12:17pm
so, Creston -
you don't think taking it in to the kitchen and asking Joyce to keep it on the boil while she cooks would work?
uh... neither do i.  I have an old barbecue I use right outside my little shop.

and Leon - this is a "backup" carb now so I'm in no hurry.

right now I have the carb and the sediment bowl (in similar condition) soaking in some old gas... then I'll move on to the boiling water, then finish up with a 3 day soak in the new formula and not so strong Berryman dip and see what I've got.
I have great passage poke-out wire so I'm pretty sure I can get this working with little elbow grease but lots of patience.
thanks for the help.
but I still would like to see some other "horror" pictures...Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 1:40pm
drobCA....I tried boiling mine in the house. After about 15 minutes, the smell was unbearable, so I took the pot outside, rigged up a gas burner, then boiled a couple hours out there, while the windows of the house were open, trying to air it out!

Posted By: Michael V (NM)
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

drobCA....I tried boiling mine in the house. After about 15 minutes, the smell was unbearable, so I took the pot outside, rigged up a gas burner, then boiled a couple hours out there, while the windows of the house were open, trying to air it out!

I bet your folks didn't like that...lol...
Or maybe this is something they don't know about....yet??

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 4:51pm
Mom knew about it...she was a little hesitant, but gave me the go ahead to try, until the fumes started coming off the water. Lol

Posted By: Steve in NJ
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 5:21pm
Looks like some of the Carbs that come in to me for rebuild. Looks like something was living in them. Glassbeader will clean that up lickity-split.  You may have to take a dremel tool to it and smooth out the float walls and floor of the rust worm really got to it. Looks like it did..... Renew the floats.
Steve@B&B

-------------
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:23pm
Hadda I 400 carb that was worse'n that.  Found it buried in the sand, beneath the tractor, in a junkyard...  Took it to rebuilder, and told him he'd earn his money on this one...Wink

Posted By: CTuckerNWIL
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:38pm
I don't have any pics, but the MS on my OC46 had stalactites and stalagmites totally filling the cavity . The weird thing is, I had the engine popping a few times while pulling it before I took the carb off to check it out.

-------------
http://www.ae-ta.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 6:42pm
Wow Charlie, that's amazing!

Posted By: DakotaSteve
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:46pm
Put it in a bucket of acid for 6 mos.....if it's not there when u get to it at that point.....may be the best thing u could ask for....lol

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:47pm
yeah, Steve -
no glass beader (yet) but zero prob... I love my rototools and a nice bench job that i can do while watching a movie.

and Charlie - were your "growths" hard or soft?  this thing was absolutely 100% full of white powdery stuff except for a couple of places on the walls where there are hard white/grey deposits.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net