This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

went to an auction today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: went to an auction today
    Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 10:20pm

Got this for $2,500.  No cap on the exhaust, hope it's not too seized.  What year might it be?
Allis Chalmers Motor Grader, 10ft Moldboard, Mid Scarifier, No Shanks, 8.25-20 Tires, Municipality

Allis Chalmers Motor Grader, 10ft Moldboard, Mid Scarifier, No Shanks, 8.25-20 Tires, Municipality

Lot # 98 (Sale Order: 101 of 321)

Allis Chalmers Motor Grader, 10ft Moldboard, Mid Scarifier, No Shanks, 8.25-20 Tires, Municipality Unit, Inoperable, Seized Engine, S/N:D-5677

Edited by JohnCO - 14 Sep 2016 at 10:22pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 10:27pm
Pretty decent looking unit. Hopefully some acetone/atf will loosen it up. Mid 50's ? Good luck, Trev.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 4:01am
nice looker John! a neighbor had one like that, his was an open station and he built a plywood cab for it. the cab was good looking...not slapped together. he used it to clean snow off his parking lot in town. I don't remember the # of it.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 4:36am
Good thing is, if that old spark motor is seized, you can put a WD motor, out of a tractor right back in...
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 5:47am
Should be a plate with serial number on it on frame on right side above the step. Get that and we'll tell ya what year john. I'd say late 50's to early 60's. They used that round tube main frame till 64.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 6:14am
Engine looks similar to WD by manifolds if it cannot be fixed maybe a transplant?
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 11:41am
The graders use a different crankshaft than the farm tractor. The shaft is longer to accept the drive pulley for the hydraulic system. Our engine was seized and the crankshaft was cracked about 1/2 the circumference. Be ready to either find a crankshaftshaft or find a D17 engine.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:00pm
Serial # is D5677, don't suppose the 56 stands for the year?  May be newer, I'm thinking.
I don't really need one but always have wanted one, I'm sure there will be work for it.
I just happen to have a D17 that was in a barn fire, probably the engine is ok but first I'm putting the acetone/atf in it.  Dropped it off at a friends Pumpkin Farm for part of the machinery display, along with my 655 crawler and D17 propane.  I figure it can sit with the stuff in the cylinders until after Halloween then I'll put a battery in it, start it up and drive it the two miles home - Yeah, Right! lol 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:02pm
Ages Cat, what is the SN on you D?
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 12:15pm
5677 makes it a 1959.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 2:46pm
Thanks!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 8:33pm
You stole it!  This a D Special with all the options including the step down transmission
that everyone with a D grader would like to have. Only missing power steering.  D-17 engine (rib along the block just above the oil pan)
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
bikley View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 8:49pm
John if you get bored with it I'll take it off your hands
nice looking piece of equipment could use it on my gravel road
good score 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 12:37am
bikley, I want to get it running and play with it first, may sell it someday, or perhaps my heirs will have a great sale.  Long drive back to Maryland if you road it, could probable pay for the trip by grading drives along the way.
Calvin, thanks for the information.  The steering wheel turns about one full revolution before the wheels start to move, may have to look into adjusting it.
The sale bill says no shanks but when loading the machine I noticed they were in the tool box above the blade.  
I notice there is orange paint on the back side of the blade.  Was orange the factory color in 1959?

Edited by JohnCO - 16 Sep 2016 at 12:42am
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 5:13am
You could get The D graders in orange or yellow...
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 9:04am
My dad had a d grader as far as I know its still being used today I know for sure it was last year he called it a "motor patrol" I think its a 58 model because mr free bought it new at the same time my dad bought his new insley model l dragline . the allis chalmers dealer sold insley and barber green back then
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 11:23am
Our grader is a 1956,D-4997.Gasoline D special with WD45 engine.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 9:43pm
Well, John. You certainly got a good deal on that. Least wise, I think so. Good luck with it! Darrel
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 10:03pm
I went over to the pumpkin farm where it is on display and put some atf/acetone in the cylinders.  The spark plug on #1 looks pretty oily, a bit of rust on 2 and 3, #4 looks fine.  Started to put a pop can on the exhaust pipe and discovered it was welded to the manifold.  The pipe was loose as the weld had broken.  Put the can over the top of the manifold with some duct tape to hold it on better.  It had no muffler so will get one and put in the bolt that is supposed to hold it in the manifold.  Looked it over some more and am pretty sure the whole machine was orange from the factory.  Another project, but getting it running is most important. 

Edited by JohnCO - 16 Sep 2016 at 10:04pm
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 7:18am
John that is a solid looking old machine. I hope it runs soon and you'll find how useful it is.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 7:59am
Our town has one that they still use occasionally on the gravel roads
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic