This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Won't move forward or reverse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FarmerJoeVT View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't move forward or reverse
    Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 6:54am
Ok, well if JB weld will do the trick I will be placing it on the new pulley when it arrives tomorrow. Then letting it fully cure and hopefully by late Thursday we will running her again once more. :)
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 5:07am
Originally posted by FarmerJoeVT FarmerJoeVT wrote:

The bolt with a washer threads into the end of the crankshaft to hold the pulley in place. The reason why I asked what epoxy to use is because in doing my own research I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k
Which says the Loctite Steel rated better, but I know that there is no shortage of wisdom represented on this site and if you think JB Weld will work then I will give that a try. aIll be sure to let it fully cure after the new pulley arrives Wednesday, before test it. :)

V/r
Brian

I wouldn't place too much faith in the test, in the video.  Too many human errors possible, due to weights swinging, rope placement, amount of product used, etc.  If you could find an independent testing co's scientifically done test, OK, then.
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 7:44pm
not  the right belt
the belt not  tight
alternator at end of
adjustment

B:-)    Dnoym
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 7:23pm
The bolt with a washer threads into the end of the crankshaft to hold the pulley in place. The reason why I asked what epoxy to use is because in doing my own research I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k
Which says the Loctite Steel rated better, but I know that there is no shortage of wisdom represented on this site and if you think JB Weld will work then I will give that a try. aIll be sure to let it fully cure after the new pulley arrives Wednesday, before test it. :)

V/r
Brian
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 6:03pm
I would say that jbweld would probably be as good as any other, in this application.  I would use the regular set up time stuff, not the quick set.  You say a bolt holds it on, what's it thread into the end of the crank?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 6:50am
There is a bolt that holds the pulley on. But the pulley internal bore metal seems to not be as strong as the gear metal and keeps wearing down over time to the point of failure. This will be the second pulley in the last 2 years. So when I buy the 3rd, I'd like to make it hold, since it will have some grip from the get go. 

Any suggestions on any metal epoxies or tricks that would do the trick?

Very respectfully,
Brian
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 5:06am
Is there enough room, to add a set screw to the pulley??
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 1:21am
It was the crankshaft pulley again. The teeth on the pulley are completely worn down. I will order another one tomorrow morning and Im thinking about putting JB Weld or Loctite Metal on it next time to prevent it from vibrating or moving around. Does anyone have any other ideas or think that this isnt the way to go?

Thanks

Brian
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 4:44am
looks like the belt ain't tight.  also might not be the right belt, or crank pulley has a lot of wear on it, making the belt slip...
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 8:03pm
Sorry, here it is:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPIIGwE08T9MKnPdU8DQJDaMvZYVczmRu-M3KtbRbu67YgaqQgQHLYT5jYXGszkzA?key=b2FybXZ5a2kxcjdpNHV1YzkwUDUyZk9HNm1CSTVn

The very last one on the page is a video showing you all what we are seeing.

Thanks in advance.

Very respectfully,
Brian

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 26 Sep 2015 at 8:05pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 5:14pm
link don't work...

Edited by DiyDave - 26 Sep 2015 at 5:15pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 11:36am
//New Problem// the radiator fan, alternator, and pulley aren't turning. Sometimes it starts slowly or works a little. But now it isn't working at all or intermittently. Anyone have an idea of what this could be?

Link to pictures and videos:

Thanks

Brian

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 26 Sep 2015 at 3:30pm
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 9:07pm
Glad ya got it all lined out Brian. The 715 is a good machine, you'll get a lot of work out of her. Glad ya stayed with it and didn't give up.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 7:46am
If it is a standard Stanadyne injection pump common to many old Allis's there is a return fitting in the top cover of the pump where the shut off mechanism sits. In that fitting is a check ball, should it have debris in it or getting to it, it will do just as noted and eventually the coupler in the pump will fail where it will not start at all.

I have been thru that on a few that used these style pumps. Only real repair is take it off and have it rebuilt, cleaning just the nozzles would not stop a problem as noted.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 12:39am
That's a good report!!! So glad you can make full use of your machine now. Hopefully you will have a long stretch without troubles. It was kind of a rough start for you after just buying your first machine but I applaud you for not giving upClap...what you have undertaken is not an easy job...it's kind of like you have graduated now LOL, hope you get all your work done before winter.  
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 11:17pm
Update: SHE'S AAAAAALLLLIVVVVVVEEEEE!!! :) 

So this is what we did. First we cleaned all the fuel injectors by placing them in a can of industrial metal cleaner purchased at Autozone tonight. We then attempted to find any screens in the injector pump unsuccessfully. We then cleaned what we could in the injector holes with the same metal cleaner in a aerosol can and a tooth brush to clean up any carbon. Once that was done we reinstalled the fuel injectors and bleed all the lines (fuel filters top bleed screw, injector pump bleed screw, and opened all 4 injectors and tightened each from right to left before it started on its own around #3, before tightening #4 (far left). With her running, we drove her around, placed her under load, picked up and back dragged dirt, and pulled a 60+ foot long without any bogging down or issues at all. We then shut her off to test if she would fire right back up and she does. We tried it several times and she works the better than she ever has. So after nearly a year of troubleshooting and no shortage of help from everyone here. I am happy to report things look good. We will be testing her fully this weekend, with a front yard and driveway to regrade and 20+ - 60'+ logs to pull out of the woods. I will be sure to give you all a update on how it goes.

A special thanks to Eric, Carl, Coke, and anyone else who has helped us every step of the way. I could not have done any of this without your help and patience with this first time tractor owner. Thank you doesn't come close...

Take care and God bless.

Very repsectfully,
Brian

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 23 Sep 2015 at 11:21pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 5:13am
Looks like a Roosa master pump.  Take off fuel input line to pump, take out the little screen, and look for tiny black specks.  If you find them, it's the carbon from the brushes of the lift pump, in the injector pump...
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 11:30pm
Be sure to check that the shut off lever on the injection pump moves all the way back to running position. Another thing I have seen on diagrams of injection pumps...there is a final fuel screen inside the pump. This may not be the case with yours and maybe it doesn't have such a screen but  the problem sounds totally like there is some restriction in the fuel supply. I wouldn't worry about that rubber gasket if it was my machine.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 11:07pm

WRT junk in the tank.

One son is in heavy equipment maintenance.

Apparently it is amazing the havoc that a packet of roll-your-own cigarette papers in the tank will cause
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 9:47pm
Update: ran a fuel hose from the top of the tank to the fuel pump, bleed lines, and started - bogged down under load or just because. Blew out fuel hose going to bottom of the tank, bleed lines, and started - with the same result. Removed the fuel injectors and cleaned the carbon off - in progress. One of the 4 injectors gasket appears to have a small crack in it, could this cause this issue? Any and all help is appreciated. To get an idea of what we have done thus far, what the following video: https://youtu.be/VU-a3aYF664  and pictures at the following at: https://picasaweb.google.com/113281734833083132500/Attachments?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCI2eoorFsZKcaA&feat=directlink 

Thanks
Brian

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 22 Sep 2015 at 10:11pm
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 9:44pm
Maybe need new filters?  Had to put two sets of new filters on a tractor many years ago, because old diesel fuel build up in tank was getting dissolved by new blend if diesel with cleaners... and it plugged both intermediate and final filters both times. Hope it is that simple or something simple in the tank like Dave said.    
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 5:49pm
You might want to try an inspection camera, with a light , in a nearly empty tank.  Might be surprised what you can see with one pointed at the tank bottom.  If tank is clean, it might be injection pump lift pump carbon brushes going, if it has a RM pump...
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 5:37pm
Update:

I just got done blowing air through the fuel line back into the fuel tank to try and clear out any gunk from the fuel screen/outlet at the bottom of the tank, as others have suggested. I bleed from the filters all the way to the injectors, got her running, but once I hit the throttle to begin backing up she bogged down again and chugged to a stop. Is there a way for me to test the pump or any other areas I should check?

Thanks
Brian
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 9:37pm
Good to hear that you're up and running again. I have wondered from time to time how you were doing with your repair. Did the trans. rebuilder ever find exactly what was wrong? 
With your machine dying under load it would have to be some fuel restriction somewhere in the system. Years ago my A-C 816 would just die without good reason. It turned out to be junk in the bottom of the fuel tank...with fuel slushing in every direction in the tank the fuel outlet would plug up. To start with you could blow air back to the tank through the fuel line. To clean the fuel tank completely is a good thing to do every so often. I don't like putting fuel into anything without using a funnel with a fine screen. Thanks for sending your update.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 9:19pm
Ok everyone, we have a good update. After months of work and $2000 later in parts (flexplate, torque convertor, and shaft seal) and labor, our AC 715b Backhoe Loader moves once more. However, now we are faced with trying to figure out why once she is running she dies out under load. We have replaced all the fuel lines after find a small break in one. We have replaced the fuel pump with a new on (2-7 psi, original one was a universal 2-4.5 psi). I bleed all the the fuel filters to the injectors, with it firing right up toward the end of the injectors. I was able to run her great for 2 hours of working under load. Before chugging out once more, out of no where with half a tank. I bleed the lines again tonight and was able to get her started with some starter fluid, but once I put her under load she chugged out again. Any and all help is great appreciated.

Very respectfully,
Brian
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 11:19pm
Thanks Eric, I found your post from earlier in the thread. :)

Posted: Jul 08 2015 at 10:35pm
By the way Brian, the link you have for an oil pump looks to be an oil pump for the engine (notice it says engine parts at the top). The reason it fits your machine and several others is the Perkins engine. You (likely) need a pump for the forward reverser transmission. Here is the place and price from last year when I bought one...most likely the same one in your machine. You could always contact them for particulars. As I said previously however, don't order any parts 'til you know what you need.

3615 E. Grand River Rd. 
Williamston MI 48895 
US 

Toll Free 888-672-7876 
Local 517-347-7033 & Fax 517-339-1608

ItemQuantityBin LocationDescriptionRateAmountTax Rate
A5080051 PUMP ASSY.186.33186.33 
Subtotal186.33
Shipping Cost (Standard)23.69
Total$210.02

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 11 Aug 2015 at 11:21pm
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 10:31pm
If there is a torque converter shop in your area you can take the converter there to be tested and flushed...there may not be anything wrong with it (may save you some money). Remember I gave you the part number for the pump way back in this thread, that place is good to deal with.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 2:11pm
Update: Prices for replacement parts

·         Drive Flex Plate – AC Part #1006536 - $73.51 

·         Torque Convertor – AC Part # 1006192 - $372.39

Still looking for a price for the Transmission Oil Pump – AC Part # 10068854.=

Found a mechanic shop willing to work on it for $75/hr, but wont find the parts. So anything I can do to find everything in advance will help speed up the process. :)

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 11 Aug 2015 at 2:44pm
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 11:03pm
Congratulations...you got it!! I think I have said most everything there is to say in terms of help to this point. As for the internal repairs I can only recommend that you find a reputable shop (or mechanic) that know their way around transmissions like this. When you go to put the machine back together you don't want to have any doubts that all components are in working order. Looks like your flex plate was OK until it got warped trying to take the trannies out. Pump drive looks OK. You don't want to settle for guess work when you are going to all this trouble. If anyone on this site with all the know-how leads you through the process that's fine, otherwise you need to consult a place in person to get all the help you need. I know I wouldn't disassemble the forward reverser myself. Even a forklift repair shop may know all you need help with. It's so so important that you deal with people you can trust and are reasonable at the same time.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 8:37pm
Update: we got it out. :) (Pain in the a$$, but its out)

See pictures: (same as earlier only with photos added to album)

Anyone have any suggestions to what order to break this down to isolate the issue? Or is it best to just order a new pump, flexplate (for sure), and torque convertor?

Thanks

Very respectfully,
Brian

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 10 Aug 2015 at 8:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic