This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BEST PULLING TRACTOR FOR THE BUCK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEST PULLING TRACTOR FOR THE BUCK
    Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:50pm
Used  to do ok with my 7040
being i,m an antique , thought i might as well pull with one
Hug
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Sponsored Links

WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:37pm
i was just looking at the pictures on that site and a few of them are pulls i go to...! maybe il see you around! what do you pull.. Michael?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:24pm
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:15am
   If I could of found one I would of had a WC. They are rare birds around here. My great uncle had one, unstyled, I think a '37. I finally got it after he passed away. I bought it from my great aunt for scrap price, without really looking at it. To make this post short and to the point, Engine ,trans, was full of water and had a busted trans. housing. All the bearings were siezed in the rear which was also full of water. I just didn't think it was worth the trouble, salvage yard had very limited suppy of parts, looked like a money pit, I lost $50 on it, end of story. I wish I had it to do over.....

They are almost impossible to beat in the 3500# class, but it has been done! Stripped down I bet one weighs less than 3000#, that allows for moveable weight to balance the tractor. I run a WD, stripped, it weighs 3300# my son drives it in the 3500, most pulls allow 100# tolorance on scales so we can weigh 3600# We can run 65 to 100 # depending on how the scales weigh where you are at.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:50am
Sorry...to early yet....      Forum**
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:48am

Great input guys. this is why i read the fourm! I kinda forgot you could strip all that crap out of the wd trans. That would help alot. All i know is radiator work is esxpensive for them! i can just go to the  internet and buy a new radiator assembly.

THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:24am
I was under the impression that it was slightly more efficient than other designs. I certainly like the hitch options because ofvthe added height.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 6:58am
With the hydraulic pump and PTO gears and hand clutch removed, a WD or WD45 efficiency is the same as a WC. In fact an old WD transmission is the same as a WC, only located farther back in the chassis. The outboard (dropped) final drives have no advantage over any other bull gear design for power transfer.
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 9:49pm
Dont forget that drop axles are a very efficient transfer of power. Id stick it out with a WC, if you can turn the high gear ratio.  Simple and Cheap
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 9:36pm
And back to the topic of the conversation....You can have a great power to weight ratio with a unstyled WC. Not much can touch one in a 3500 lb class.
And another note....Has anyone ever thought of the amount of driveline power loss in a WC compaired to the WD WD45? Just a thought.....WC has Bell housing then a pretty simple trans. Then a tourqe tub then right into the rear axle housing. On a WD you also have the cam system that runs the hydro pump . Just seems like more rotating mass for you to lose HP in the drive line? Im sure its not much but maybe i am over thinking it.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Bbc valves are 5.422 long. That's more than .300 more than 4.910.

You really don't follow yourself well and have no basic math skills. Better go edit your posts as no where do uou say to remove the inner spring. Why buy a $350 set of springs anyway?
back tarcking now in the rod says barneys valve and valve springs dont work are you?
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:28pm
The tractor I have is a 38..serial number checks out and the tractor was un change. Had cultivators on it for its whole life.Stayed on the same farm since new. Was an all pressed steel wheel tractor I guess u could say from factory....kinda rare for 38?
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:26pm
They used them in 1937 and then went back to 5 hole after that.
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:08pm
Some unstyled WC had a 6 bolt front end. That's what I have. Not sure why though...
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 5:09pm
wcclason what kind of hubs do you have on the front
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 3:17pm
I would vote for Unstyled WC. I took both motors and built them up. Both are running 65 to 75 hp. I like the diffrent look of them. Not alot of people have them around my area. I have two. one is going on four years same motor, and the other one i am in the middle of working on the motor. Want to have one to keep playing with....and alot going to have it all painted up for this summers pulling season.......Hope things change on here soon becuase i am to the point of not asking any opinions because you dont know whats fact or BS.
I have a few i talk to and thats it anymore.
wrightk20 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrightk20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 1:44am
dear moderator, please get rid of mlpankey!
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 7:16pm
Find out NOW before you get your you know what caught in the wringer! ( I vote WC)
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 5:50pm
Just to be clear , the local association wants , stock tractors , dont know how srict they are Thumbs Up
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 4:55pm
i tried to give Michael my opinion but this thread blew up like i said i pull a wc that's all i use it for if i need a tractor to pull and work i would use a 17 or a WD45  that's my opinion 
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 2:29pm
WC's have many pros and a few cons...cheap purchase price is great. With hundreds of thousands built but being not much more than a horse with tires (no hydraulics, has hand brakes, no live pto) they have little popularity with working hobby farmers so they're cheap. Another pro is as far as engines go you can swap in a d17 WD45 or Gleaner E engine for quick power or build off the solid platform of a 201. They can be made super light....3500# is easy but 3000# can happen. I pull 3500-4500 with my 45 WC and for bone stock other than a dry aircleaner setup, a new governor. spring because my old one stretched and open exhaust its fairly cometitive. Biggest downfall is gearing. They're geared high but an RC rear can fix that
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 2:01pm
I'm sorry that I had to wade through all this baloney to give you my oppinion on your original question. When faced with the same question, I decided to build a "styled" 1938 WC. Some places offer antique classes for tractors older than 1939. A-C built both "styled" & "ustyled" WCs in 1938. I like the later version with an electric starter. If the every day use has a high priority to you then build a WD, WD45 or early D17 made before 1959...but in my humble oppinion a WC of any type offers the most bang for the buck when it comes to antique/classic A-C pulling tractors. Good luck! Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 1:57pm
True about the D17, has to be '59 or older for most classes. Also a lot of pulls won't allow you to below shipping weight.
I do enjoy pulling my D17 even if I don't win. I pull "stock" classes but most other tractors are not stock.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 1:19pm
I am sticking a Gleaner motor in my wd45. Its still a workhorse around the farm. I plan on hitting a few pulls with it. Don't expect to win. Just have a good time with some good people. 
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by michaelwis michaelwis wrote:

Antique class
What would be our best bet
on the track and off
Son is thinkin D17
What are your thoughts

I'm curious what this question has to do with valve springs and valve length?  Why there's 2 pages of crap about it and why I'm makeing so much money selling pulling parts that I can support a 3 charger alky LSS tractor on the $10 made here and the $40 lost there selling a few parts and doing a little shop work for a few here?  I must be selling more parts than I know about.....though I do have to file a W-2 form for all my winnings through NTPA and WTPA. 

Anyway if you're thinking of the antique class, better check the year because a lot of times a D-17 is going to be to new.  It's also heavy.  I don't know what weight classes you have in your area, but you may be better off with a WC, WD or a WD-45 as they are going to be older and lighter. 

I fixed up a decent WD-45 with a wide front for those reasons, I can get it under 4000 pounds easy, it's old enough for the classic classes at some events.  I built a little bit of an engine for it and still use it to run an auger, pull a few wagons around or it's got lots of ground clearance now with 38" tires on back should a guy want to pull a fertalizer spreader down the rows or pull a hay rake if one of the "real" tractors is unavailable. 
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 10:12am
The pissing and moaning on this forum amazes me. If you have to try that hard to prove you know what you think you know but have no physical proof, you probably are blowing smoke.....we're all tired of it. Us pullers don't want to lose this forum because of a select few. Knock it off....play nice or find somewhere else for your pissing contest.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 6:17am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Nope allis valves are bbc length at least the ones i have pulled from old heads. Have you pricex allis valve springs

Again the allis valve is 5.161 long. Bbc is 5.350 and 5.422. And useing used valve springs is a no-ny. Springs take a set and useing used ones in a different motion can cause failure. Skimping on critical parts by useing used valve springs and soft connecting rods is a sure way to end up following internet forums and not leading them. Your lack of knowledge is showing more and more.

Edited by Rod B - 11 Mar 2013 at 6:20am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 5:45am
Nope allis valves are bbc length at least the ones i have pulled from old heads. Have you pricex allis valve springs

Edited by mlpankey - 11 Mar 2013 at 5:46am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 10:05pm
5.161 is allis valve length. .300 shorter would be 4.861. Sbc valves are 4.910 and 5.025. That's not .300 unless useing pankey math. Buy yourself a better tape measure.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:51pm
No they were sbc valve 300 shorter than factory allis wich means they are a 100 longer than stock sbc. Man i didnt realise you needed me to draw you picture. Righty tighty lefty loosey.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic