Subject: BEST PULLING TRACTOR FOR THE BUCK
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 11:35am
Antique class
What would be our best bet
on the track and off
Son is thinkin D17
What are your thoughts

-------------
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer

Replies:
Posted By: patrickmull
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:39pm
I pull a wc with a E gleaner engine  lots of parts around my neck of the woods the 17 would be better off the track 

Posted By: mlpankey
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:43pm
well most of the guys on here do molines cause all they have to do is transplant a 800 cubic inch engine in them and move the cam gear to the 200 hp mark thats on it. next would be the 450 international cause you can transplant the red diamond in it . allis chalmers requires engine building thats why i like them

-------------
people if they don't already know it you can't tell them. quote yogi berra

Posted By: mike a
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:46pm
good job mitch,half the fun in pulling is building your tractor!

Posted By: Glockhead SWMI
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 2:51pm
and another post spammed by panky. Get him out of here.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Glockhead SWMI Glockhead SWMI wrote:

and another post spammed by panky. Get him out of here.
i just search your posts by name went through four pages the spammer is you . You speak nothing about pulling anything but a bucket of molases from a tree. he seams to be really knowledgeable in molases

-------------

Posted By: arcticcat
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:00pm
Patrickmull why do you have a combine motor in a wc.    Junk

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:02pm
You can.get enough horsepower out of a 201 block that is better than a combine motor anyday

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:03pm
You can.get enough horsepower out of a 201 block that is better than a combine motor anyday wc allis is the o.ly way to go

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by arcticcat arcticcat wrote:

You can.get enough horsepower out of a 201 block that is better than a combine motor anyday
you need to get some fresh air youve been in the paint room to long if you think the d17 blocks junk

-------------

Posted By: michaelwis
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
Should  have been clear  , has to be an AC  tractor

-------------
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:11pm
it is a D17 engine it has a better crank 4.5 in. stock stroke a better head  and better oil system just better engine to start out with  i added stroke- bore -cam and a few other things then went pulling 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by patrickmull patrickmull wrote:

it is a D17 engine it has a better crank 4.5 in. stock stroke a better head  and better oil system just better engine to start out with  i added stroke- bore -cam and a few other things then went pulling 
yes i knew the combine block and d17 blocks were the same with the exception of the fuel pump . It is alot better block than the 201 block

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:27pm
I was answering arcticat's post not your's

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:47pm
i think that if you put a combine motor in a allis wc you are defeating the purpose of tractor pulling  my opinion you are just looking for CHEAP horsepower because you cant afford to build a good motor for pulling and also alot of the clubs will not let you pull if you have a combine motor weather it is an allis john deere moline oliver or whatever kind of a tractor it is also a combine motor has higher rpms and alot of the clubs only allow you to have only 10% over stock    good luck to you when you start pulling 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:52pm
I am  not sure , but i thought the Antique pullers in SW Wis were pretty srict on making sure things were stock , and why cheat , our old AC dealer back in the late  60,s put a 3000 pound weight under the rear end of a D17 , AND DID REAL well if i recall , i was 12 or so , i dont even know what class a D17 WOULD PULL in w o any weight

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 3:54pm
I have been pulling an WC since 1990 with this setup with no problem i pull local most in USAP and some NATPA i didn't just start last night !! we pull a speed limit that fixes your rpm problem 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:13pm
Yeap patrick when i first started you had people like dr.allis barney taylor jt ritchardson who would offer advice if you took time to lesson. Dr.and barney ran the same inches barney used 920 comp cam springs chevy valves jt used chevy springs ford valve the dr used dodge springs. They all three ran 4 5/8 bore . Two of them ran 5.8 stroke. jt ground cams barney sold cams jt ground . dr.had the 175 cam with one soft lobe that they were pretty much pattern after on jts cam doctor.i listened added some of my thoughts bought used 400 plus cube engines for even more insight and started building. Next thing you know i was putting stress on parts that were common for builds.  Jt passed Barny quit doing 226 engines and the dr likes d17.  Here is what I listen to and do with credit going to where it should . Valve I use chevy .300 shorter than factory idea came from barney he uses them in 11/32 stem size .I changed the stem size to 5/16 . I run 920 comp springs on the intakes again came from barn. I run 944 on exhaust came from me. The cam i use now came from Larry in ohio He had a isky cam that was to large and I traded him a jt ground cam for it . I then dealt with Ron Iskyderian on some changes specifically splatter patterns . The carb I used came from Jt richardson The stroke and bore spacing came from two engines one was Tarbills and the other Ronnie Shipman done . The rods well the first rods the farmalls came from mcdaniels in alabama the next rods the buda came from barney and jt . The next rods where seeing shipmans and liking them over some of the others floating around seeing that a set of the others i had in tarbills old block. Pistons arias was the first sold them to ken dakin that brand recomendation came from mcdaniels . Barn used ross . I worked with J and E for the last few engines that came from racing . The 4 7/8 bore came from  me after seeing Shipmans 4 3/4 bore and measuring . I took a old head gasket layed out a template from that machined a deck plate and moved on when surching for a standard sleeve stock and not wanting the expense of custom sleeves i came upon on the sleeve for the 4 7/8 bore

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:21pm
Can anyone banned panky he does not no what he is doing let alone giving advise banned this moron

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:23pm
and the band plays on

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:24pm
Yep

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:29pm
I dont know MR Pankey   but i do find the back and forth entertaining

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Yeap patrick when i first started you had people like dr.allis barney taylor jt ritchardson who would offer advice if you took time to lesson. Dr.and barney ran the same inches barney used 920 comp cam springs chevy valves jt used chevy springs ford valve the dr used dodge springs. They all three ran 4 5/8 bore . Two of them ran 5.8 stroke. jt ground cams barney sold cams jt ground . dr.had the 175 cam with one soft lobe that they were pretty much pattern after on jts cam doctor.i listened added some of my thoughts bought used 400 plus cube engines for even more insight and started building. Next thing you know i was putting stress on parts that were common for builds.  Jt passed Barny quit doing 226 engines and the dr likes d17.  Here is what I listen to and do with credit going to where it should . Valve I use chevy .300 shorter than factory idea came from barney he uses them in 11/32 stem size .I changed the stem size to 5/16 . I run 920 comp springs on the intakes again came from barn. I run 944 on exhaust came from me. The cam i use now came from Larry in ohio He had a isky cam that was to large and I traded him a jt ground cam for it . I then dealt with Ron Iskyderian on some changes specifically splatter patterns . The carb I used came from Jt richardson The stroke and bore spacing came from two engines one was Tarbills and the other Ronnie Shipman done . The rods well the first rods the farmalls came from mcdaniels in alabama the next rods the buda came from barney and jt . The next rods where seeing shipmans and liking them over some of the others floating around seeing that a set of the others i had in tarbills old block. Pistons arias was the first sold them to ken dakin that brand recomendation came from mcdaniels . Barn used ross . I worked with J and E for the last few engines that came from racing . The 4 7/8 bore came from  me after seeing Shipmans 4 3/4 bore and measuring . I took a old head gasket layed out a template from that machined a deck plate and moved on when searching for a standard sleeve stock and not wanting the expense of custom sleeves i came upon on the sleeve for the 4 7/8 bore
Talking to Brandon Karpel yesterday he said quote these guys have no idea at the work or expense that goes into keeping a big engine up. He is right. Go for it be the first to beat me to 500 inches in a 226 block thats my goal and I am getting close. anyone up for it

-------------

Posted By: Ihateillinoisnazis
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:57pm

Yeap patrick when i first started you had people like dr.allis barney taylor jt ritchardson who would offer advice if you took time to lesson. Dr.and barney ran the same inches barney used 920 comp cam springs chevy valves jt used chevy springs ford valve the dr used dodge springs. They all three ran 4 5/8 bore . Two of them ran 5.8 stroke. jt ground cams barney sold cams jt ground . dr.had the 175 cam with one soft lobe that they were pretty much pattern after on jts cam doctor.i listened added some of my thoughts bought used 400 plus cube engines for even more insight and started building. Next thing you know i was putting stress on parts that were common for builds.  Jt passed Barny quit doing 226 engines and the dr likes d17.  Here is what I listen to and do with credit going to where it should . Valve I use chevy .300 shorter than factory idea came from barney he uses them in 11/32 stem size .I changed the stem size to 5/16 . I run 920 comp springs on the intakes again came from barn. I run 944 on exhaust came from me. The cam i use now came from Larry in ohio He had a isky cam that was to large and I traded him a jt ground cam for it . I then dealt with Ron Iskyderian on some changes specifically splatter patterns . The carb I used came from Jt richardson The stroke and bore spacing came from two engines one was Tarbills and the other Ronnie Shipman done . The rods well the first rods the farmalls came from mcdaniels in alabama the next rods the buda came from barney and jt . The next rods where seeing shipmans and liking them over some of the others floating around seeing that a set of the others i had in tarbills old block. Pistons arias was the first sold them to ken dakin that brand recomendation came from mcdaniels . Barn used ross . I worked with J and E for the last few engines that came from racing . The 4 7/8 bore came from  me after seeing Shipmans 4 3/4 bore and measuring . I took a old head gasket layed out a template from that machined a deck plate and moved on when searching for a standard sleeve stock and not wanting the expense of custom sleeves i came upon on the sleeve for the 4 7/8 bore
Talking to Brandon Karpel yesterday he said quote these guys have no idea at the work or expense that goes into keeping a big engine up. He is right. Go for it be the first to beat me to 500 inches in a 226 block thats my goal and I am getting close. anyone up for it

Quoting and talking to himself again, he's lost it... Similar to his pulling endeavors. 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Ihateillinoisnazis Ihateillinoisnazis wrote:

Quoting and talking to himself again, he's lost it... Similar to his pulling endeavors. 
as long as you take the time to read it I know I am still teaching and carrying on the tradition the above men started in the allis antique pullling community

-------------

Posted By: Rod B
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:01pm
Sounds like a lot of work to be 50 feet behind in the classic 4mph class and 100 feet behind in the outlaw class.

-------------
for the money there is nothing better than provoking idiots and posers

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Sounds like a lot of work to be 50 feet behind in the classic 4mph class and 100 feet behind in the outlaw class.
it is thats why you set in the bleachers

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:07pm

it is thats why you set in the bleachers

...And it's where you SHOULD be sitting. 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:12pm
micheal if you notice . Rod, Illinoisnazi ,atriccat have nothing for you and your question . Like I posted and give credit to the guys whom I listen to and those three along with marty and butch arent the ones . Marty doesnt even post part numbers why he wants to support his pulling and farming from selling the same stuff he has read to use to you from my posts .

-------------

Posted By: Gary in da UP
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 5:56pm
 Iffin I were you, you got a WD, pull that. Have fun with it. rake hay with it.That is the pure essence of pulling , not building big cube engines, later, if you get addicted to pulling and win the lottery, then the skies the limit......

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:07pm
Now I've heard it all. .300 shorter valves and springs so stiff it takes an extra 5hp to operate the valve train. You got the part # for those valves?

-------------

Posted By: JayIN
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:14pm
Cyberspace is getting filled up with crap!

-------------
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:43pm

Now I've heard it all. .300 shorter valves and springs so stiff it takes an extra 5hp to operate the valve train. You got the part # for those valves?
yeap standard sbc  you want manley or ferra . the valves pretty well fix the factory rocker arm geometry issues . not to mention .300 less mass to make up a extra 10 hp for the 5 as you say lost .

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:51pm
Get panky the    out of here he is an idiot mr moderater please help us send him out of here

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 8:55pm

Get panky the    out of here he is an idiot mr moderater please help us send him out of here
becareful name calling will get you gone. so barney taylors valves spring recomendations are no good .

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:04pm

becareful name calling will get you gone. so barney taylors valves spring recomendations are no good .

No it won't, it hasn't yet. 

If anything deliberately making an off topic post (Smack Talk) in a specific section of a forum aimed at pulling to do nothing more than stir the pot should get you kicked off the forum. 

You're a waste of bandwidth. 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:08pm

[QUOTE=arcticcat]Get panky the    out of here he is an idiot mr moderater please help us send him out of here

If anything deliberately making an off topic post (Smack Talk) in a specific section of a forum aimed at pulling to do nothing more than stir the pot should get you kicked off the forum. 

[/QUOTEif i was you and had no mechanical input to the forum I wouldnt push it much.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:10pm

[QUOTE=arcticcat]Get panky the    out of here he is an idiot mr moderater please help us send him out of here

[/QUOTEif i was you and had no mechanical input to the forum I wouldnt push it much.

Are you trying to play moderator now Spankey? 

Go cry a river somewhere else. 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:13pm

Are you trying to play moderator now Spankey? 

Go cry a river somewhere else. 
nope just take him at his word

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:14pm
You're lack of experience and knowledge is really showing here. You say to use .300 shorter sbc valves.

Sbc valves are 4.910 and 5.025 long. Shorten them .300 and you can't install the spring. If Installed spring height to 1.8 you'd be cutting through the top of the head. You're Comp spring 944 is 1.570 diameter with a spring rate of 753 pounds per inch. At 1.8 installed height it's at 302 pounds on the seat, after .600 of lift it's at 754 pounds. But you've got even shorter valves. It don't fit.

The 920 spring will work out, barely.

Why use such large diameter springs anyway? They add weight to the spring and rob power.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:20pm

You're lack of experience and knowledge is really showing here. You say to use .300 shorter sbc valves.

Sbc valves are 4.910 and 5.025 long. Shorten them .300 and you can't install the spring. If Installed spring height to 1.8 you'd be cutting through the top of the head. You're Comp spring 944 is 1.570 diameter with a spring rate of 753 pounds per inch. At 1.8 installed height it's at 302 pounds on the seat, after .600 of lift it's at 754 pounds. But you've got even shorter valves. It don't fit.

The 920 spring will work out, barely.

Why use such large diameter springs anyway? They add weight to the spring and rob power.
you dont follow well if you read the heavier valve sprin topic you will find that i only use and only say to use the outer spring but i do see you read it to find the pressures that it has in my post using it as a double spring like sold. Your lack of  knowledge is showing the sbc valves are the length you posted and that is .300 shorter than the factory allis valves that are the same length as a bbc valve if i remember correctly offcoarse you wouldnt know that cause you havent ever been into a 226 engine to even know that the exhaust spring seats down into a macined recess thats not machined around the intake guides

-------------

Posted By: AC Billy
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Gary in da UP Gary in da UP wrote:

Iffin I were you, you got a WD, pull that. Have fun with it. rake hay with it.That is the pure essence of pulling , not building big cube engines, later, if you get addicted to pulling and win the lottery, then the skies the limit......

That's the route I want to go Gary...
and just have some fun with my WD.
Don't think there is any places that pull the hot
rod antique tractors around close me
anyway.
I think a person has to "glean" all information
given on the Internet. ... And or elsewhere. But
those who " show their work" and show
"the results" in the quest for more power , get the most
respect.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:27pm
Bbc valves are 5.422 long. That's more than .300 more than 4.910.

You really don't follow yourself well and have no basic math skills. Better go edit your posts as no where do uou say to remove the inner spring. Why buy a $350 set of springs anyway?

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:36pm
rod exhuast valve is ferra ferf1134p-1  the intakes are manley i still have 4 on shelve can get part number 2morrow when i am in the shop . spring weight is static not near as much power robing as a heavy valve . Intake valve is 96 grams that i use.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:42pm
why buy the springs they are readily availlable in shop cause i use them on so many race engines we do. sbc valve .100 long if you run the part number ps they are 36.00 a piece that really doent say much for your knowledge i tell you it 300 shorter than factory and you cant figure out without me telling you its a sbc. 100 longer than stock

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:47pm
A few minutes ago they were .300 shorter sbc valves, then .300 shorter bbc valves, stovk valves and now .100 long sbc valves.

You really have no idea

-------------

Posted By: Carl(NWWI)
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:50pm

Coming from the guy who thinks a combine engine is junk. I love mine, won me plenty of trophies...

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 9:51pm
No they were sbc valve 300 shorter than factory allis wich means they are a 100 longer than stock sbc. Man i didnt realise you needed me to draw you picture. Righty tighty lefty loosey.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2013 at 10:05pm
5.161 is allis valve length. .300 shorter would be 4.861. Sbc valves are 4.910 and 5.025. That's not .300 unless useing pankey math. Buy yourself a better tape measure.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 5:45am
Nope allis valves are bbc length at least the ones i have pulled from old heads. Have you pricex allis valve springs

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 6:17am

Nope allis valves are bbc length at least the ones i have pulled from old heads. Have you pricex allis valve springs

Again the allis valve is 5.161 long. Bbc is 5.350 and 5.422. And useing used valve springs is a no-ny. Springs take a set and useing used ones in a different motion can cause failure. Skimping on critical parts by useing used valve springs and soft connecting rods is a sure way to end up following internet forums and not leading them. Your lack of knowledge is showing more and more.

-------------

Posted By: BennyLumpkin
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 10:12am
The pissing and moaning on this forum amazes me. If you have to try that hard to prove you know what you think you know but have no physical proof, you probably are blowing smoke.....we're all tired of it. Us pullers don't want to lose this forum because of a select few. Knock it off....play nice or find somewhere else for your pissing contest.

-------------
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110

Posted By: wi50
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by michaelwis michaelwis wrote:

Antique class
What would be our best bet
on the track and off
Son is thinkin D17
What are your thoughts

I'm curious what this question has to do with valve springs and valve length?  Why there's 2 pages of crap about it and why I'm makeing so much money selling pulling parts that I can support a 3 charger alky LSS tractor on the $10 made here and the $40 lost there selling a few parts and doing a little shop work for a few here?  I must be selling more parts than I know about.....though I do have to file a W-2 form for all my winnings through NTPA and WTPA. 

Anyway if you're thinking of the antique class, better check the year because a lot of times a D-17 is going to be to new.  It's also heavy.  I don't know what weight classes you have in your area, but you may be better off with a WC, WD or a WD-45 as they are going to be older and lighter. 

I fixed up a decent WD-45 with a wide front for those reasons, I can get it under 4000 pounds easy, it's old enough for the classic classes at some events.  I built a little bit of an engine for it and still use it to run an auger, pull a few wagons around or it's got lots of ground clearance now with 38" tires on back should a guy want to pull a fertalizer spreader down the rows or pull a hay rake if one of the "real" tractors is unavailable. 

-------------
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"

Posted By: Glockhead SWMI
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 1:19pm
I am sticking a Gleaner motor in my wd45. Its still a workhorse around the farm. I plan on hitting a few pulls with it. Don't expect to win. Just have a good time with some good people. 

Posted By: Charlie175
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 1:57pm
True about the D17, has to be '59 or older for most classes. Also a lot of pulls won't allow you to below shipping weight.
I do enjoy pulling my D17 even if I don't win. I pull "stock" classes but most other tractors are not stock.

-------------
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD

Posted By: Kip-Utah
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 2:01pm
I'm sorry that I had to wade through all this baloney to give you my oppinion on your original question. When faced with the same question, I decided to build a "styled" 1938 WC. Some places offer antique classes for tractors older than 1939. A-C built both "styled" & "ustyled" WCs in 1938. I like the later version with an electric starter. If the every day use has a high priority to you then build a WD, WD45 or early D17 made before 1959...but in my humble oppinion a WC of any type offers the most bang for the buck when it comes to antique/classic A-C pulling tractors. Good luck! Kip

-------------
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!

Posted By: BennyLumpkin
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 2:29pm
WC's have many pros and a few cons...cheap purchase price is great. With hundreds of thousands built but being not much more than a horse with tires (no hydraulics, has hand brakes, no live pto) they have little popularity with working hobby farmers so they're cheap. Another pro is as far as engines go you can swap in a d17 WD45 or Gleaner E engine for quick power or build off the solid platform of a 201. They can be made super light....3500# is easy but 3000# can happen. I pull 3500-4500 with my 45 WC and for bone stock other than a dry aircleaner setup, a new governor. spring because my old one stretched and open exhaust its fairly cometitive. Biggest downfall is gearing. They're geared high but an RC rear can fix that

-------------
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 4:55pm
i tried to give Michael my opinion but this thread blew up like i said i pull a wc that's all i use it for if i need a tractor to pull and work i would use a 17 or a WD45  that's my opinion 

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 5:50pm
Just to be clear , the local association wants , stock tractors , dont know how srict they are Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: JayIN
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 7:16pm
Find out NOW before you get your you know what caught in the wringer! ( I vote WC)

-------------
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"

Posted By: wrightk20
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 1:44am
dear moderator, please get rid of mlpankey!

Posted By: WCCLASON
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 3:17pm
I would vote for Unstyled WC. I took both motors and built them up. Both are running 65 to 75 hp. I like the diffrent look of them. Not alot of people have them around my area. I have two. one is going on four years same motor, and the other one i am in the middle of working on the motor. Want to have one to keep playing with....and alot going to have it all painted up for this summers pulling season.......Hope things change on here soon becuase i am to the point of not asking any opinions because you dont know whats fact or BS.
I have a few i talk to and thats it anymore.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 5:09pm
wcclason what kind of hubs do you have on the front

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:08pm
Some unstyled WC had a 6 bolt front end. That's what I have. Not sure why though...

Posted By: Dipstick In
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 6:26pm
They used them in 1937 and then went back to 5 hole after that.

-------------
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:28pm
The tractor I have is a 38..serial number checks out and the tractor was un change. Had cultivators on it for its whole life.Stayed on the same farm since new. Was an all pressed steel wheel tractor I guess u could say from factory....kinda rare for 38?

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 8:39pm

Bbc valves are 5.422 long. That's more than .300 more than 4.910.

You really don't follow yourself well and have no basic math skills. Better go edit your posts as no where do uou say to remove the inner spring. Why buy a $350 set of springs anyway?
back tarcking now in the rod says barneys valve and valve springs dont work are you?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 9:36pm
And back to the topic of the conversation....You can have a great power to weight ratio with a unstyled WC. Not much can touch one in a 3500 lb class.
And another note....Has anyone ever thought of the amount of driveline power loss in a WC compaired to the WD WD45? Just a thought.....WC has Bell housing then a pretty simple trans. Then a tourqe tub then right into the rear axle housing. On a WD you also have the cam system that runs the hydro pump . Just seems like more rotating mass for you to lose HP in the drive line? Im sure its not much but maybe i am over thinking it.

Posted By: THE-MAN
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2013 at 9:49pm
Dont forget that drop axles are a very efficient transfer of power. Id stick it out with a WC, if you can turn the high gear ratio.  Simple and Cheap

Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 6:58am
With the hydraulic pump and PTO gears and hand clutch removed, a WD or WD45 efficiency is the same as a WC. In fact an old WD transmission is the same as a WC, only located farther back in the chassis. The outboard (dropped) final drives have no advantage over any other bull gear design for power transfer.

Posted By: THE-MAN
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:24am
I was under the impression that it was slightly more efficient than other designs. I certainly like the hitch options because ofvthe added height.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:48am

Great input guys. this is why i read the fourm! I kinda forgot you could strip all that crap out of the wd trans. That would help alot. All i know is radiator work is esxpensive for them! i can just go to the  internet and buy a new radiator assembly.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 7:50am
Sorry...to early yet....      Forum**

Posted By: cotncrzy
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:15am
   If I could of found one I would of had a WC. They are rare birds around here. My great uncle had one, unstyled, I think a '37. I finally got it after he passed away. I bought it from my great aunt for scrap price, without really looking at it. To make this post short and to the point, Engine ,trans, was full of water and had a busted trans. housing. All the bearings were siezed in the rear which was also full of water. I just didn't think it was worth the trouble, salvage yard had very limited suppy of parts, looked like a money pit, I lost $50 on it, end of story. I wish I had it to do over.....

They are almost impossible to beat in the 3500# class, but it has been done! Stripped down I bet one weighs less than 3000#, that allows for moveable weight to balance the tractor. I run a WD, stripped, it weighs 3300# my son drives it in the 3500, most pulls allow 100# tolorance on scales so we can weigh 3600# We can run 65 to 100 # depending on how the scales weigh where you are at.

-------------
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:24pm
http://www.tractorpullers.org/" rel="nofollow - http://www.tractorpullers.org/

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:37pm
i was just looking at the pictures on that site and a few of them are pulls i go to...! maybe il see you around! what do you pull.. Michael?

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:50pm
Used  to do ok with my 7040
being i,m an antique , thought i might as well pull with one
Hug

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net