This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V-twin Honda mower won’t run when warm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 8:56am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Well if it still does the same thing changing all those parts it's likely not the problem.
Step back a little and ask the great white buffalo for a clue.

Seriously though, I think when you do figure it out it may be something stupid.
Has happened to me before.

Oh I assure you stupid has already kicked in. I should have found a way to test those very expensive coils before I bought them.
I took it to a supposed reputable shop to get this figured out.
He said he had no way to test coils. After a few questions I found. Him to be an oil changer and no more experienced in this than I and at $80.00 an hour I had to bring it back home.
Not knocking the guy or his prices just that he can’t figure this out and told me so.
I actually appreciate his honesty.
And yes I’m sure this is gonna be something simple.
Sponsored Links

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 8:03am
Well if it still does the same thing changing all those parts it's likely not the problem.
Step back a little and ask the great white buffalo for a clue.

Seriously though, I think when you do figure it out it may be something stupid.
Has happened to me before.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

Since we are fishing, I would ohm out those coil packs when it won't run, especially the weak/dead side.  Highly unlike;y but I have seen new parts right out of the box bad.

I wish I knew how?
These have 4 prong plugs.
I’ve tried to figure out just how these work with no success.
I tried them like a common old coil but got nothing.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 1:48pm
Since we are fishing, I would ohm out those coil packs when it won't run, especially the weak/dead side.  Highly unlike;y but I have seen new parts right out of the box bad.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 12:26pm
there are some electric fuel pumps that put out 2 psi and go inline from the tank to the carb... they only cost $15.  ......... used on a lot of mowers.

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 May 2022 at 12:31pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 10:29am

I see what you have now. Not the same as that POS Onan.
Possibly be a fuel line sucking air some place. Maybe opening up a little when hot.
I have had one collapse before internally and not see it. It was an automotive style low pressure fuel line on my WD line from the tank to the carb. 

Been giving this some thought
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:33am
I see what you have now. Not the same as that POS Onan.
Possibly be a fuel line sucking air some place. Maybe opening up a little when hot.
I have had one collapse before internally and not see it. It was an automotive style low pressure fuel line on my WD line from the tank to the carb. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 8:28am

Where is the ignition pickup on that?
I had an Onan that did that and was on the crank behind the flywheel.
Get hot and start doing what you described.
You can learn to hate something very quickly.

Cub Cadet
17AGACACN56
Honda GXV 630
688cc.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 8:28am
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

If there is a restriction at the tank feed line, there could be a vacuum buildup and gasoline will ‘boil’ at a lower point than at atmospheric pressure.

Also, using winter blend gasoline can also cause problems if used in summer…

Interesting I never knew that, would explain why a electric fuel pump at the tank will take care of vapor lock problems sometimes.

I guess it’s same principle as boiling water at room temperature. Pulling a vacuum.

Edited by Kansas99 - 21 May 2022 at 8:31am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 8:20am

I have not pulled the flywheel.
I figured everything was charging related under there.
These coils each have a 4 prong plug plus the coil/spark plug wire.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 8:17am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: Jay it draws vacuum from a barn on the intake.
well I know this is a 'farming website'.....

I'll assume 'spellcheck' or 'phatphingers', hehehe

ok, maybe 'google' your engine/ dies when hot  to see if it's a common problem ??

Vacuum port.
Was supposed to say barb.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 8:07am
re: Jay it draws vacuum from a barn on the intake.
well I know this is a 'farming website'.....

I'll assume 'spellcheck' or 'phatphingers', hehehe

ok, maybe 'google' your engine/ dies when hot  to see if it's a common problem ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 7:30am
A favorite diagnostic tool is a can of ether.
When it dies, right away give it a snort of ether and see if you get some action.
Fuel was winter blend, how old is it? 4 months, or the previous year, 16 months?
Anyone know what old gas symptoms look like?

What make, year, model # is this mower?  That will help for using internet search
about this issue.

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 7:25am

Edited by fixer1958 - 21 May 2022 at 7:27am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 6:57am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Assuming pump gets it's vacuum from a valve cover..... are the bolts securing the valve cover tight ? Any oil drips from that cover ?

Going far out on a limb but.... as then engine heats up, valve cover becomes 'loose' from head, loss of vacuum, loss of gas, engine stops. when it all cools down...'runs fine'.

hay, I only got so many straws left !

Jay it draws vacuum from a barn on the intake.
Valve covers were tight when I removed them to check valves.
Yhey have very nice well made gaskets.
May check intake bolts???
Hondas seem to be well machined with good seal ability.
I’ll keep checking.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 6:40am
Assuming pump gets it's vacuum from a valve cover..... are the bolts securing the valve cover tight ? Any oil drips from that cover ?

Going far out on a limb but.... as then engine heats up, valve cover becomes 'loose' from head, loss of vacuum, loss of gas, engine stops. when it all cools down...'runs fine'.

hay, I only got so many straws left !

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 6:39am
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

If there is a restriction at the tank feed line, there could be a vacuum buildup and gasoline will ‘boil’ at a lower point than at atmospheric pressure.

Tram you really have me thinking.
Last winter when gas prices started going up.
I went and filled every can on the property.
The successful run I had with the mower was with fresh non e gas that I had just bought that morning. It was also cooler that day.
When at its worst was with the winter bought gas.

Edited by Thad in AR. - 21 May 2022 at 6:41am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 6:36am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">Fuel line comes out of the top of the tank ang runs in front of the moto</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">so it does work off some type of vacuum sysyem or fuel pump suction... and not gravity feed... that could be a clue..</span>

It is supplied by a plastic vacuum operated fuel pump. I’ve removed, inspected and cleaned all the fuel lines and fuel pump. I started it with the fuel line to carb in a jug. It pumped a steady stream.
I removed the pump, cleaned it and put vacuum to it. I found no vacuum leakage.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 10:02pm

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 8:35pm
Fuel line comes out of the top of the tank ang runs in front of the moto

so it does work off some type of vacuum sysyem or fuel pump suction... and not gravity feed... that could be a clue..
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 8:05pm

The carburetor may be getting hot and causing the VAPOR LOCK... the gas line can contribute to it.... But we have not discussed the gas tank location ?  Is there radiant heat on the bottom of the gas tank ?   Could it use an insulation blanket or baffle
from the motor ?

The gas tank is under a black cover on the left side to the left of the engine. It sits right over the left rear tire.
Fuel line comes out of the top of the tank ang runs in front of the motor then around the right side of the motor to the fuel pump then to the carb.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 5:31pm
The carburetor may be getting hot and causing the VAPOR LOCK... the gas line can contribute to it.... But we have not discussed the gas tank location ?  Is there radiant heat on the bottom of the gas tank ?   Could it use an insulation blanket or baffle from the motor ?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Thad, I wish I could help but I had that exact motor on a landpride razor that did the exact same thing, although it would only do it when it was hot outside, at least 95 or more, if there was no wind then it would do it at lower temp.  I had dual tanks and could switch back and forth and help but not solve, I never figured out what the cause was, but I was almost certain it was a vapor lock issue.  I guess I really gave up because usually it was hot enough out that you didn't want to be on a mower anyways, so it was a excuse.  Mine was new enough that it had the black outer plastic cover, but my neighbor had same mower older red metal cover 20hp and it wouldn't do it.  I was almost at the point of putting a fuel can in the freezer and when it did it pour that fuel in or try rapping the black fuel tanks in white.  I changed fuel line routing checked everything, got nothing.  I don't know if that's your problem but I felt fuel was mine, just never got it figured out.  Have you had this mower a while?  I can't remember now but I think mine started first year or two I had it.
bought in late 2017.
Red main engine color the rest are black.
I do feel that re-routing the fuel line helped.

Has brand new coils.
Dies a slow fumbly kind of death. Spit spider n die.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Thad, I wish I could help but I had that exact motor on a landpride razor that did the exact same thing, although it would only do it when it was hot outside, at least 95 or more, if there was no wind then it would do it at lower temp.  I had dual tanks and could switch back and forth and help but not solve, I never figured out what the cause was, but I was almost certain it was a vapor lock issue.  I guess I really gave up because usually it was hot enough out that you didn't want to be on a mower anyways, so it was a excuse.  Mine was new enough that it had the black outer plastic cover, but my neighbor had same mower older red metal cover 20hp and it wouldn't do it.  I was almost at the point of putting a fuel can in the freezer and when it did it pour that fuel in or try rapping the black fuel tanks in white.  I changed fuel line routing checked everything, got nothing.  I don't know if that's your problem but I felt fuel was mine, just never got it figured out.  Have you had this mower a while?  I can't remember now but I think mine started first year or two I had it.
bought in late 2017.
Red main engine color the rest are black.
I do feel that re-routing the fuel line helped.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 7:13am
ne of those ...be nice to be there to SEE it problems..

hmm 'dies'..
is it a slow, fumbly kinda death or  quick and stopped ?

does the carb have a drain to check if gas is in the bowl when it fails ? Be REAL careful, hot engine, gasoline......

does carb have an 'anit-dieselling' shuttoff solenoid ? Kohlers were nasty to fail('cure' was to remove the rubber tip...) usually you can hear it 'click' on/off with the key being 'on/off'.

hard to believe it's a mag issue, they 'usually' fail hard....eventually.

going to be interesting to see what CURES this PITA !!

Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 6:52am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 6:39am

Thad, i think you do need to VERIFY a good spark next time it is HOT and STOPS... You have to determine if this is a SPARK or GAS problem to move forward.

Steve I believe it has spark. It may be intermittent but it has spark. I pull a plug each time and never are they wet/gas soaked although o believe heat might be the cause.
I’m gonna buy two of those little spark checkers to test it with. Using a screwdriver shows spark to some degree.
Seems to try to run on right cylinder and the left seems to not hit at all when this happens. It tries to start with left plug wire pulled but doesn’t even try with the right wire pulled.
Wondering of it has a weak fuel pump or weak vacuum when warm?
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 11:05pm
make sure the gas cap vents
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 10:00pm
Thad, i think you do need to VERIFY a good spark next time it is HOT and STOPS... You have to determine if this is a SPARK or GAS problem to move forward.
fjdrill View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fjdrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:46pm
coil?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic