This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are B & CA belt pulley shaft taper different?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
KungFooMASTA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KungFooMASTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

Grinding will not work because of shaft SIZE !!!!!    Had a customer put a woods mower on his early B and  I got the correct pulley from woods dealer .He later sold the mower and the guy that bought used the later pulley .
 If u have another B sitting around for parts swap out PTO UNITS .

I dont have any parts tractors. If you find that pulley can you let me know the part number on it. Maybe I can find one on ebay.
Sponsored Links

Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:21am
Grinding will not work because of shaft SIZE !!!!!    Had a customer put a woods mower on his early B and  I got the correct pulley from woods dealer .He later sold the mower and the guy that bought used the later pulley .
 If u have another B sitting around for parts swap out PTO UNITS .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KungFooMASTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:17am
The factory pulley is 1.165” on big side. The Woods part 7450 is 1.3”. The shaft is 1.175” at the housing.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KungFooMASTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:56am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I dont know how "loose" the pulley is on the shaft.. If it is just a small amount, maybe you can grind the face of the pulley hub so the pulley will slide on a little further ?

The side that would need to be ground is already flush with the spokes.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KungFooMASTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

The early B has a DIFFERENT  size SHAFT  I had both shaft size PULLEY's for the woods drive belt. will have to check shelf .

Thanks Fred I will buy it if you will sell it.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:53am
The early B has a DIFFERENT  size SHAFT  I had both shaft size PULLEY's for the woods drive belt. will have to check shelf .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:51am
I dont know how "loose" the pulley is on the shaft.. If it is just a small amount, maybe you can grind the face of the pulley hub so the pulley will slide on a little further ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KungFooMASTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Nathan (SD) Nathan (SD) wrote:

Your pulley hits the PTO housing before the nut is tight ? Is that the problem ?

Yes sir.
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:30am
Your pulley hits the PTO housing before the nut is tight ? Is that the problem ?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KungFooMASTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:08am
That drive pulley is on backwards like >< instead of <<. If the drive pulley was half and inch closer to the right it would work. I did speed the deck up to 1/2 speed and it stayed on like in the pic but I did not want to damage the $80 belt so I stopped.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KungFooMASTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:05am
That pic is just of it climbing out.

I had the belt in there right. 1/2 twist from deck to rear idler and 3/4 twist from power pulley to front idler. I will try the pulley again.

I just wondered if the early Bs might have been smaller for some reason. Mine is #2000 something.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:07am
#1 The taper on the belt pulley shaft for the B,C,CA and early D10/12 tractors is the same and the pulleys are interchangeable.

#2 if you have the manual for the WOODS belly mower, Carefully read and reread the section of the proper installing the belt with all the twists in the proper place.  There are ways to put the belt on with the wrong amount of twists in the wrong place and it will immediately throw the belt off. When everything is done exactly as stated in the manual the belt will run just fine. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:06am
never had one BUT.. that belt looks like it has a LOT of twists in it ! Not sitting nice in the pulley and 2-3 twists on the left side down on the white  mower deck.
I'm sure others who have your combination will respond soon..
it just doesn't 'look right' to me....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KungFooMASTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:52am
This is on a 1938 Model B.

I bought a Woods 59 belly mower from a friend he had it mounted on a CA. He said it was built for a B and C, I have the factory Woods manual with it and it shows B and C in it. For the CA he built different brackets to make it work on the wider CA. I always thought C and CA were the same? We have a CA. I have never been around a C.

I took his brackets off and everything bolts right up to my B.

The only thing that does not work is the pto pulley. It seems the shaft on my tractor is too small the pulley goes on too far. I needed to use the mower so I flipped the pulley backwards just to see if it would work. By hand it works fine but once I turn the pto on slowly releasing the clutch the belt starts coming off because the drive pulley is not lined up right.

Do they make tapered shim bushings or can I use some shim stock? Or do I need to find a different woods pulley? I dont have any shim stock but tomorrow I might attempt to ghetto fab it with some gorilla tape as a shim.

I didn’t measure the shaft or factory flatbelt or woods pulley tapers yet but will tomorrow.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic