This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD Timing Without a Crank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 2:05pm
With the plugs out, You should be able to push/pull on the belt to tension it and turn with fan blade. I usually push in to force in groove.. A pry from under neath at the flywheel will probably be more precise.
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:55am
Numbers 1 and 4 will be TDC when the marks line up, one will be on compression stroke, one finishing exhaust stroke. You need to be sure # 1 is on the compression stroke by feeling pressure via the spark plug hole or checking valve rock (requires removing valve cover).
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:27am
Jack up one rear wheel and place the transmission in the highest gear. Turn the wheel until the timing marks line up. Leave spark plugs out.
Put the bunny back in the box!
1938 B, 1977 Yanmar YM2200

No private messages:
use email:
theropod AT yahoo DOT com
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 8:02am
When the setscrew on the crankshaft pulley is straight DOWN, you are at TDC on #1 cylinder.
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 12:10am
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:59pm
Bump starter with finger in plug hole until you get close, then turn with flywheel until marks on flywheel line up.        MACK
WDStudent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDStudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:40pm
New member, first post, and newbie working on old tractors.
I just got a rebuilt magneto for my 49 WD and am ready to time the engine and install the mag. Problem is I have a crank, but no stem coming out of the crank hole to attach the crank to. Any ideas on how to spin the motor slow without a crank? I've pulled all the plugs so there'll be little compression resistance. I've tried pulling on the belt, but no luck. Guess I'll try a wrench on one of the pulleys next. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic