This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking final drive on HD16DC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking final drive on HD16DC
    Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 12:51pm
Howdy

This one stumps me. This past summer I noticed a small on the right side final drive. I think it was Cal that said check outer cover as sometimes a leaking seal will occur under the bearing cover and follow face of final drive and appear to be leaking somewhere else. Cal was right. I torqued to specks, emptied final drive and refilled with 80/90 gear oil per speck. No leaked anywhere until today. I saw oil under final drive same as before and checked level and was down substantially.

What would cause a leak to start up just sitting still for at least 2 months.

It did drop down to 0 overnight. Metal contraction?
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Sponsored Links

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 3:50pm
Help from Michigan. I may have found my final drive leak issue. Still not sure why is started to leak just sitting but I started scraping and wire brushing where it showed a past leak behind the sprocket.

It’s not leaking from the Outboard Cover as it did previously and cleaned up all around the Final Drive Intermediate Pinion outer cover.

Found that there are 3 threaded holes without any bolts in them. Not sure if that would cause a leak and I also read that there are tapered threaded holes to use a tool to help pull cover off. I will send pics tomorrow.

Question: could this cause a leak as it is moist around the cover (they call it a cage in the shop manual) and can you remove this cover without pulling drive sprocket as it appears to have enough room to do so.

Thank you.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:33am
The three threaded holes are Pusher Bolt holes to remove that assembly. Allis used a Particular Bladder type final seal, a Neoprene donut fiber reinforced with a internal and external steel squeeze plate spring loaded to keep the system under pressure to keep oil in dirt out. Check the parts lists at Minnpar if they do not have then do a Google search by Allis Chalmers and p/n. There may be a few still out there, I got the last known to exist for my 7G a few years back and nothing shows on searches anymore.

Have to remove the lower truck frame, roll it out of the way, pull sprocket then bearing support is accessible where that seal sits.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

The three threaded holes are Pusher Bolt holes to remove that assembly. Allis used a Particular Bladder type final seal, a Neoprene donut fiber reinforced with a internal and external steel squeeze plate spring loaded to keep the system under pressure to keep oil in dirt out. Check the parts lists at Minnpar if they do not have then do a Google search by Allis Chalmers and p/n. There may be a few still out there, I got the last known to exist for my 7G a few years back and nothing shows on searches anymore.

Have to remove the lower truck frame, roll it out of the way, pull sprocket then bearing support is accessible where that seal sits.

Crap! Thank you for the information
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 3:21pm
Just remember - if it isn't a bad leak the real problem is when it stops leaking
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

Just remember - if it isn't a bad leak the real problem is when it stops leaking

Meaning that when it stops leaking the final drive is out of oil correct Ian?
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:35pm
Yep!

There is an alternate theory that if oil can leak out then dust can leak in.  But it ought'nt happen while the oil is leaking out.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

Yep!

There is an alternate theory that if oil can leak out then dust can leak in.  But it ought'nt happen while the oil is leaking out.

Thank you.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 11:49am
Thank you Ian. I won’t be able to power wash with steam until spring so tractor is sitting in barn. Hard to do much in an unheated barn with his time of year. I should the final drive does not leak entirely. Just goes down to roughly under the level of your finger. When you pull the cover plug off with a drive wrench, you can see down to where the lower level is. I filled it to the top of the plug and it’s down to the lower cavity. When I drained it this last time it looked like 2 or 3 gallons was still in the unit. That’s what led me to believe it was a cap or cover higher up. Thank you again.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 11:59am
Vents should be at the Top of the finals housing. Pull the fill plug and blow down thru the vent cap threaded hole to see if air emits below.

Page 172 of Parts manual (Minnpar)
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 4:04pm
Now that's a pretty good idea. Yes I have factory crankcase vents own top of each housing and would be easy to put under some pressure to see where it is leaking from.

Thank you DMiller. Will let you Ian know how that works out when it gets above 10 degrees.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 5:05pm
You should never fill the final drive to the top plug you can stop when you see oil in hole
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

You should never fill the final drive to the top plug you can stop when you see oil in hole

I did not know that gemdozer. Would love to think I overfilled it.

Thank you . I used de greaser cleaner and wiped down the side of final drive and around the sprocket and everything I could reach. Will put a small amount of air pressure on the unit to see if I can find any telltale signs of fluid leaking.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:42am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Vents should be at the Top of the finals housing. Pull the fill plug and blow down thru the vent cap threaded hole to see if air emits below.

Page 172 of Parts manual (Minnpar)

Here’s a curious thing for you to answer. In my original parts and shop manual, the bolts for the Outer Drive Cage( cap) show either 5/8 or 1/2 inch with different torque specs for each. My bolts are 3/4” on this cap as well as the Intermediate Pinion Cap. Does this mean anything such as wrong manual or a change to these final drives in my tractors past? They appear original. Was there a Heavy Duty upgrade as an original option?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:46am
1/2" bolts are 3/4" hex, is this what you are referring to?

If has been upsized may have also drilled too deep or too wide and cracked where the oil can leach out thru a crack.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:46pm
Thought of both DMiller. Going to do a pressure test this week on that side final drive and see where the leak is.

Pretty confident it’s from behind sprocket but will know more when I put the air to it. Very little at that to not make matters worse.

Thank you for responding
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 11:48am
Hey guys

On the final drive, how does the intermediate and pinion gear get oil? Is this a case that the main gear is lubed by the oil sump and carries it to the intermediate and pinion gears? Reason I ask is that the oil leak is not draining the entire final drive housing, just partially. I will add enough oil to bring up the previous level and will tell me how much I lost bs how much I added back. Total housing according to my manual holds 4.5 gallons. If I’m losing 1 or 2 gallons then there is still over 2 gallons in the lower housing. I think of it as an oil bath kind of a situation. If the main gear is immersed in oil does that get to the intermediate and pinion gears by a splash effect?

Just assessing extent prior to making plans to split the track, move out the truck frame and pull sprocket.

Thank you
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 1:16pm
yes splash.  IIRC  there is a kind of channel built onto the inside of the case to help funnel oil to the inner bearing,  but its been awhile.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

yes splash.  IIRC  there is a kind of channel built onto the inside of the case to help funnel oil to the inner bearing,  but its been awhile.

Thank you Cal. I will add fluid to see if I can identify the source of the leak for certain now that I have it all pretty cleaned up. Then determine how much was lost vs what the case holds. Might not be as bad as I feared. Will let you know. My thanks again.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 3:57pm
Yes just by splash and if you used to much oil in final drive it will  destroy the bellow seal
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

Yes just by splash and if you used to much oil in final drive it will  destroy the bellow seal

Thank you Gem. per the operating manual, I filled to top of fill opening. Sounds like in practice that is not a good thing.
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:16pm
MY HD11 leaks sometimes and then takes up doesn't leak for a while I just check the oil and top it up before use , i have heard of fencing wire getting wrapped around there . they don't like that !
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:57am
Originally posted by Steve allis dozer Steve allis dozer wrote:

MY HD11 leaks sometimes and then takes up doesn't leak for a while I just check the oil and top it up before use , i have heard of fencing wire getting wrapped around there . they don't like that !

Thank you Steve. Good advice.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:59am

this happend to me on my 16.  I started loosing oil so i kept a close eye on it till i was finished up and able to haul it home.  turns out a piece of wire had been pulled into the gasket area of the seal and dislodged part of it.   a whole lot of work for 1 little gasket, but got it fixed.

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:31pm

this happend to me on my 16.  I started loosing oil so i kept a close eye on it till i was finished up and able to haul it home.  turns out a piece of wire

had been pulled into the gasket area of the seal and dislodged part of it.   a whole lot of work for 1 little gasket, but got it fixed.

Was this wire wrapped around the Sprocket Hub? Which gasket was impacted Cal ?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 1:43pm
mine happened on the gasket on the final drive housing inside of the sprocket.  so the sprocket had to be removed to put in a gasket!  where the stationary seal ring is against the housing.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 15 Feb 2019 at 1:44pm

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:32pm
Thank you. I bet was fun job!!
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 3:28pm

mine happened on the gasket on the final drive housing inside of the sprocket.  so the sprocket had to be removed to put in a gasket!  where the stationary seal ring is against the housing.

If I have to go that route it won’t be till warm and dry weather Cal. How bad s job is it? I am guessing that you have to

1.split the track.
2. Pull the truck frame out.
3. Then pull the sprocket.

How tools did you have to fab to get that job done? :(
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 10:55am
1.  Yes 
2.  Yes  (forward)
3.  Yes

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:26am
Guys, my old friend used to run strictly AC dozers. He said he bought STP in 5 gallon buckets. When he drained his final drives, he refilled them with STP. Many years ago I was in his shop and saw the empty buckets. I wish I had ask him for 1. Don't know if it is still around, but he claimed it really stopped his from leaking.   

Edited by HD6GTOM - 18 Feb 2019 at 11:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic