This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mowing your lawn with a finish mower?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mowing your lawn with a finish mower?
    Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:27am
Does anybody here mow their lawn with a 3pt mounted finish mower?  I have a Deere compact tractor with a 72" mid mount mower, it's how I cut all of my grass.  It does a pretty good job but I hate servicing the deck, it's very heavy and awkward to mount/dismount from the tractor.  Which means blades don't get sharpened as often as they should and the deck doesn't get cleaned as often as it should. 

There are two big downfalls I can see in a 3pt finish mower but maybe these are not that big of problems once you use them.

1) you are running over the grass with all four tires before cutting it making it harder to lift and cut the grass blades.

2) when mowing around an obstacle the mower is swinging away from the obstacle so you need to go around everything backwards.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links

countryguy828 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryguy828 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:31am
I think my Woods 6ft does a fine job behind my B. Use it mostly for open areas though. I have cut grass as tall as the front tires before, puts a heckuva pull on the motor.

Dave
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:37am
I have a rhino 5ft finsh mower on the back of my 5020 It works great running over the grass is not a problem.  Triming its not great on.  I send the girlfreind out with the cub zero turn ahead of me to trim.    The 3pt mower is easy to clean and sharpen blades on.   I would recomend rhino mowers they are heavy duty and rear discharge so you dont have piles of grass like my dads brush hog 720 will do. 
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:40am
Maybe the key is the girlfriend?  I might be able to get a new finish mower past the wife but I have some real doubts about the girlfriend.

Rear discharge is the only way to go.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 1:51am
my bro has a 3-pt finish mower on the back of his toy JD tractor, he mows the same way and direction each /every time he mows, his yard looks bumpy. i tell him to change directions once and awhile and it would look better...i coulda just saved my breath! 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 5:59am
I have both a 3pt finish mower and a woods belly mower. they both mow very well but the woods stays on its alot harder to remove than the 3pt. to sharpen and clean I just lift the 3pt up and use an angle grinder. I don't use the top link so when I lift it just stands on the back tires.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 6:17am
LOL on the girlfriend Claus!   tehehe... I have L306 on CA with no problemmo and the WDNF pulls a 7 foot LawnHandler painted PO#2 and Cream by world famous Gary Alley which is actually a Land Pride. No problemmo, no tire marks. The Woods I jack one side at a time with hi lift...and sharpen 3 x a season and in the spring I take the 3 blades off and have em prof sharpened. The lawnhandler gets unhooked and tipped up against the telephone pole yearly for sharpening.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 6:24am

Lawnhandler before decals...
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 7:04am
I got tired removing decks from 'riders' a few years ago,plus every neighbour now knows me.... so for servicing the local garden/lawn tractors I just winch the front end up good and high with my chain falls in the garage.Don't know what your 'compact' weighs in at, but might be an option for servicing the blades and cleaning out the deck.Having wet grass stay in there will rot them out, and new decks are thin tin ! Won't last as long as 30 year old machines.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 7:12am
Clas, I had a 6ft fronteer behind my compact JD it did a great job but yes a little clumsy for trimming. I now have a 11ft Busshog batwing gromming mower witch will o turn around obstacles, Not good in the corrners however. I cut the grass at our tractor club approx 20 acers in about 5 hrs.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 7:39am
For your belly mower, a couple of car ramps work great for serviceing the blades, and deck.  I have a 5' AC on my 5020

The finish mower works great.  I think mine did a better job than the belly mower on the 5020.  Definately buy a rear discharge, if you decide to go that way.  I have an older woods, and would buy another woods if I needed.  To mow around trees ect. I just cut past them, swung around and cut past them again, then when I cut past them doing the regular rounds, I got the other two sides.  Sounds like a lot of work and time, but not really, once you get a routine down.  Most of my trees are in somewhat of a line also, which helps!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 7:41am
We used an 84" 3 point  Landpride for many years.  Mowing close to obsticles is only a matter of getting used to how it swings behind the tractor.  As for running over the grass yes, in spring when the grass is growing fast and you get a bit behind you will see streaks from the tire tracks a few days after you mow, otherwise its not realy an issue. It somewhat depnds on how particular you are about the lawn. We also have belly mowers under B and C models and for ease of use I have to admit that the belly mower wins every time.  Our mowing duties have lessoned in past couple years and the first one to go was the rear mount.
WEL(IN&TN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEL(IN&TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:43am
I use a 6 foot First Choice finish mower behind my D14. Great combination. Trimming is done with a smaller mower.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:45am
Another vote for car ramps.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Toneman1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toneman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 9:02am
I have been using a 5' Fred Cain finish mower for about 15 years  which I pulled behind a (excuse me) JD 870 as that is all I had.  I use a zero turn for the trimming and such.  As the Fred Cain was wearing out, I replaced it with a Frontier 84" finish mower which really puts a pull on the 870 but it still works great.  Recently I purchased a D17, but I think it's way too heavy for the yard work but will be fine for the pasture.
Overall the finish mowers have done a good job, if you change directions ever so often.
Don't worry about the mule going blind, just load the wagon.
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 9:23am
I had an old  6' Bush Hog finish mower that I used on a 5030. It came with the tractor. Did a nice job. Decided that I wasn't mowing that big of an area and could do it with an AC714 mower. Gave the 3pt finish mower to a friend who was looking for one. Now I wish I had it back. Was pretty handy along some fence lines.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 10:19am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I got tired removing decks from 'riders' a few years ago,plus every neighbour now knows me.... so for servicing the local garden/lawn tractors I just winch the front end up good and high with my chain falls in the garage.Don't know what your 'compact' weighs in at, but might be an option for servicing the blades and cleaning out the deck.Having wet grass stay in there will rot them out, and new decks are thin tin ! Won't last as long as 30 year old machines.

Too heavy for the chain fall.  The deck is 7 gauge, it's pretty heavy and I do clean it atleast once or twice a season but would like to do it more often.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 11:00am
I use a 6' finish mower behind my CUT, does a good job I think
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 11:19am
Belly mount mower under tractor - remove belt from back pulley and lift deck, block it, and remove blades with impact gun. Sharpen on the bench and reinstall.
Garden tractor - lift front end with hoist or bucket loader, remove blades with impact gun. Sharpen on bench and reinstall.
Also a good time to pressure wash the under side of the deck
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 11:55am
tried car ramps on my zero turn, can only get the middle blade off, when i tried to run the deck out further to over hang, the deck just drops down, had to get the ag crane  on the  180 to get the mower off the ramps..pffft! so now the only way to get all the blades off is to tip the whole mower onto its side! if there's to much flex between the machine and the deck, it will bend the drive shaft that runs the deck!
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:39pm

The best mower I have seen as far as deck and blade service goes is a Grasshopper.

Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

Maybe the key is the girlfriend?  I might be able to get a new finish mower past the wife but I have some real doubts about the girlfriend.

Rear discharge is the only way to go.
Wives are funny that way.
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
RSponenberg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSponenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Too heavy for the chain fall.  The deck is 7 gauge, it's pretty heavy and I do clean it atleast once or twice a season but would like to do it more often.
If you keep the loader on all the time I would just set the loader bucket on edge and put the down pressure to it and raise the front end of the tractor off the ground. I do this with my NH TC18 to clean the deck and sharpen blades,I can get about 2.5 ft of ground clearence that way,but your still working on your back.
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 3:13pm
On a slightly different vein, check out this guy near me that patented a 4 wheel drive, zero turn mower.

hillmonkey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 4:15pm
im confused, is the "rear discharge" apply to the wife or girlfriend? also while we are addressing wifes and girl friends why did they put the intake so close to the exhaust?
thanks in advance, hm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 4:39pm
I wouldn't work under the tractor while it was being held up by the loader unless there was some sort of mechanical lock on the loader. You could drive it up the ramp of your trailer, if you have one, or use the loader to lift it and block the wheels after it's up.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
RSponenberg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSponenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

I wouldn't work under the tractor while it was being held up by the loader unless there was some sort of mechanical lock on the loader. You could drive it up the ramp of your trailer, if you have one, or use the loader to lift it and block the wheels after it's up.

I use 2 jack stands under front axle. Car ramps and the smaller tractors like mine wont work the ramps are in the way.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 6:31pm
I use a HiLift jack under the front of my zero turn mower. It's supposed to be able to stand up on the deck, but the jack is a lot easier.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 7:42pm
I'm like the guys above, I have a 84" Woods under green paint (Frontier) finish mower and a 7' 80 R to mow the road banks and a Grass hopper with a 60" deck to trim with and a 6' Bush Hog brand mower pull type to mow around the fields. they make mowing all my place a nice little job. Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 9:14pm
I mow an acre and a half lot with a 6 foot 2010 Woods finish mower behind the NF D-17.No fluid or weights and tires are practically bald(My version of turf tires).Like others have said mow differently every time and tracks don't show.I am mowing a flat sqaure lot for my elderly neighbors and I got the 6 foot Woods to cut down time.35 minutes once a week.If you have uneven or hilly,bumpy ground the 3 pt. may not work so well.Lift it up and clean,service.Keep your blades staight and sharpen blades and it should work well.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic